Archinect
anchor

Need Advice: is a void between rooms a good design idea?

Developerrn

Hey everyone!

We recently got the design for our new house from the architect, and we’re a bit unsure about one part of it. In the plan, there’s a void (open space) between the living room and the rooms around it (specifically, the eating room and coffee room). So basically, the living room has this void that connects it to the other spaces, making the area feel more open.

I’d like to add a large window, and the opposite side will be the TV wall.

Would love to hear your experiences and any tips on whether this design feature works well.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 1, 24 3:05 pm
OddArchitect

Talk to your architect about this.  After all, that's what you're paying them for. 

Oct 1, 24 3:12 pm  · 
1  · 

Odd Architect is right, you need to ask you architect what their intention here is and to explain it to you *in a way that makes sense* even if that means making additional drawings or even a model. 

I may be wrong but I think what your drawing shows is a two-story space above the living area, which is a pretty common residential feature. Maybe visit some other houses with this and decide if you like how it feels.

Oct 1, 24 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That is a common load-bearing void.  You can't add windows without incurring some significant structural p.eng costs.  

Oct 1, 24 3:30 pm  · 
1  · 

Non. ;-)

Oct 1, 24 6:32 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Not all heroes wear capes.

Oct 1, 24 6:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: