Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

i am back last night and guess what? tina changed the computer pointer to one of those things that is a snow covered house that when you shake the glass acquarium that is in, more snow flakes come down. my (i guess our) arrow desktop pointer is now one of those kitchy jobs. she is sleeping now but when she gets up, oh oh houston we have a problem...

turkey was amazing, like;
'irressistable beauty of ugly architecture... etc.'
i spend the last day in istanbul with my old musician friend cem, who had three keys in his pocket and each opened a door by the time it was dark outside we've seen all three places. sounds mysterious but it was.

i have taken a lot of pitures and notes hoping to turn them into a short story/docudrama ;) for archinect in next couple of weeks or so.
here is a couple from a health workers and doctors union protest.

Dec 13, 06 9:28 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

killa, yeah after studying this saturday, i will definitely be up for diversion before the exam. lets hook up.

Dec 13, 06 9:31 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Gah! See, I DID screw it up!! It only took me two hours to do it too. I just had to comment on ACfA's blog. Oh well at least I can talk again.

lb, I like your hair the way it is.

beta your venture into medical things perplexes me. Is this a very serious hobby or what?

Orhan I hate those pointer things. And I anxiously await your pictoral docudrama.

Must get back to buying Christmas gifts online now.

Dec 13, 06 10:20 am  · 
 · 

I'm having a Christmas gift conundrum- I won't know whether I can afford any until December 22nd, when I antipate my bonus (I hope! that's the date that fits the pattern established last year anyway). On the 23rd I will be driving to Phoenix. So that gives me the afternoon of the 22nd in LA and the 24th in Phoenix to wrap up ALL of my christmas shopping, which is ricockulous.

Dec 13, 06 10:55 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Chili need sleepy.

Went to bed at 5:30 am. Alarm went off at 6. Asking the boss for the afternoon off. I need a nap. Final crit @ 6 pm.

Dec 13, 06 11:01 am  · 
 · 

rationalist, my strategy was always to visit ONE bookstore. have them wrap everything.

Dec 13, 06 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I'm done christmas shopping. except somthing for my husband.

Dec 13, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 

oh, the bf's the easy one: we get each other New Year's gifts instead of Christmas gifts, that way we can hit the after-christmas sales and get each other better stuff. = )

Dec 13, 06 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

good idea! we usually just go on a shopping spree together.

Dec 13, 06 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

rationalist, that is soooo smart.....

Dec 13, 06 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
AP

the GF and I went to Costco for lunch and bought eachother iPod Nanos for Christmas.

I paid for lunch - 2 slices of pizza and 2 fountain drinks for $5.44...

Dec 13, 06 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I just arranged my bf's present. I'm so fucking excited about it. He's gonna love it!!!! I can't wait till it works out.

Dec 13, 06 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I bought some catnip for my cat.

Dec 13, 06 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Did you get her her own cat chia pet?

Dec 13, 06 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ha ha ha, it "increases roughage"....

I'm totally fried. myriam have you started sending in resumes yet? Make sure to ask about their workload....

Dec 13, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Ok, what's the deal with girls getting so excited about buying gifts for the bf???

My wife has been jonesing to tell me what she wants to get for me, and I'm sticking my fingers in my ears going 'nahnahnah- I can't hear you'. I don't what to know. And I don't want to know that she's been spending every extra second shopping for me. It feels so competative and make me feel bad that I don't like shopping as much.

And her birthday is in a few more days - and i haven't found a card store in skyways.

Dec 13, 06 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

mpls has changed, man. used to be you couldn't NOT run into card stores all over the skyways: city center, ids, gaviidae, whatever that building was with regency coffee...

Dec 13, 06 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

hmm- i was wandering around at street level enjoying the subtropical december thaw monday and failed to find a card shop. back to the hampster tubes then.

Dec 13, 06 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

ha ha... after wasting away at home working on resumes every day I'm actually *liking* the sound of tons of real work.

Ugh. I'm majorly stressing over my resume and work samples and I don't need to be. I'm going down a bad path and I just need to whip them out and send them. I'm freaking too much over the concept that I won't get an interview.

Dec 13, 06 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

aww treekiller, just sketch her something, slap some watercolor paint on it to heighten the effect, write some heartfelt words on the inside, and she'll be pleased as punch.

I guess I just love finding that perfect gift. Although I missed the mark a bit on the last one... but this one is much better, plus I ran it past him this time to make sure, because it is non-returnable. Maybe that's the only genetic hunter-gatherer predisposition us women have!

Dec 13, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

ms. m- I learned the hard way this round of job searching to never tell a prospective firm a $$$ number. Let them make the opening move and then push for more perks/$ as your despiration allows.
good luck!

Dec 13, 06 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

hmm, good tip!

right now I'm suddenly siezed by the concern that my resume is too hesitant (not confident enough), and also by the concern that my work samples are too much (ie, not enough of a TEASE).

Ah well. I think I need to just let it go. I am experience extreme levels of eyestrain and I need to just drop it and get out of the house!

Dec 13, 06 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

myriam, have you had people look at your stuff? how long is it taking you to do this? i took 2-3 weeks, full time, to redo my resume and portfolio and thought that was the longest anyone could ever take.

Dec 13, 06 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I haven't touched the portfolio yet. Just doing work samples. I've been working on it about 4 hours a day for about 2 weeks. I've had too many people look at my stuff, and they're all giving me conflicting advice (mom's an english teacher, sister runs HR at a large company...). I'm done, it looks decent, just gotta make sure the work samples come out ok. Oh, that's right, and do cover letters. The worst part.

I've been afflicted with a pretty bad headache for the last two days so I'm cranky and not making decisions well. If anyone wants to look at my work samples and answer 2 questions (and no more) about them, that'd be great.

Dec 13, 06 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I mean I have a portfolio, and it needs quite a bit of revision, but I don't have to start from scratch or anything. I'm doing that part once I've got resumes out.

Dec 13, 06 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow, big week. Did you guys notice all of your post counts turning? We're getting up there. Still waiting for "vado 5000". Also in anticipation of liberty bell 4000, i might add. Wonder what percentage of our posts took place on this thread....

I apologize, I'm just so happy to be done with my personal statement I am talking gibberish. I do love numbers.

Dec 13, 06 10:38 pm  · 
 · 

I just submitted a logo to Cameron!

I'm afraid I may have scared him though - I noticed he's on the advisory board for a school I want to go to, emailed him about it, and haven't gotten a response. But then again, I haven't noticed him around here, either, so maybe he's just busy.

Dec 14, 06 1:36 am  · 
 · 
myriam

wow, how did you have time to squeeze that one in...

Dec 14, 06 2:05 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

Rationalist, I forwarded your logo submission as your portfolio to CCA. Did I do wrong?

Just kidding. We are crazy busy at the moment as we have seen visuals on the Open Architecture Network... and Siyathemba is alive! (long story, perhaps for DLYGAD2)

Dec 14, 06 3:06 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell
The plastic hand shovel is now liquid."

This is my favorite sentence of 2006.

I'm off to a seminar about managing construction projects in Indiana. Which will come in handy now that my modern house client is ready to fire us all again! Nothing like getting a furious email - and responding in calming, level tones! - at 6:30am. I haven't even had my coffee yet.

Dec 14, 06 6:49 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

lb, glad you liked my story! Get some coffee, and hey, did you check your mail lately?!?

Dec 14, 06 8:33 am  · 
 · 

i got mine, wk. thanks!

Dec 14, 06 8:37 am  · 
 · 

Hey, if it makes the top ten, it's going in the portfolio!

Dec 14, 06 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

We just had one of those edible arrangements delivered. Man I love the holidays. There's melon and strawberries and grapes for the health nuts like myself, and for the not-so-health-concions, they have the same assortment, covered in chocolate! Man I love working in a design & contruction department with a $50 million annual budget! I am the great overlord of all that which is contractable.

Dec 14, 06 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

silly terminology question:

What phrase could I use to describe something I refer to as "volumetric space"--as in, the type of architecture that Neutra did, and others, where when you walk through the building, there aren't seperate defined rooms for functions, but rather functions are separated by a sort of cubic volume of space that they're in? And the cubes of space poke into each other and overlap?

I don't know how to call that kind of design--my own pet names for it are something like ... explorations in spatial volumes or 'volumetric space'.

What could I call that?

Dec 14, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Architrectural Spin....myriam

Dec 14, 06 1:08 pm  · 
 · 

VOLUMETRIC TETRISSING!!!

Dec 14, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
AP

not sure myriam, but 'volumetric space' is vague.

this space is volumetric! this volume is full of space!

implied zones within a larger space?

overlapping volumes of space?

nested volumes? implied volumes nested within a larger space?

Dec 14, 06 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

well it's to describe what i'm interested in, for prospective employees--so i want to be understandable and not sound like i'm making up words! :) there has to be some sort of sanctioned term to describe that kind of arch?

Dec 14, 06 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

a great picture of what I mean:

hmm. it's a stumper!

Dec 14, 06 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
myriam
Dec 14, 06 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

It was really wierd to see that Victor Jones and Paul Tang were critics for Ants' studio (mentioned in his blog).... and that he thought Paul was the inappropriate one! When he was at USC, Victor Jones used to make his (second-year undergrad) students rank each other. He tallied everyone's rankings and posted up the averages on the wall. I remember one semester, the guy who got ranked last by his peers really closed up, was totally changed by it. Seemed like a shitty thing to do in the first place, created more competition in the studio than really needed to exist. Paul on the other hand, was always a very fun, engaging, insightful guy. Maybe Victor's learned since then?

On the other hand, Victor did tell me one time that I had the most amazing drawings. So he can't be all bad. = )

Dec 14, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

m- free plan/open plan are the terms that FLlW coined for his prairie style living...

then there was meis, corb and those other crazy euros who rippped off the great frank and created modernism with phillip johnson.

Dec 14, 06 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I think I'm gonna go with "section-driven design", as clunky as that sounds.

Dec 14, 06 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

thanks for helping jog my brain, guys!

Dec 14, 06 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

It must be office christmas party day.....like everyone has evaporated.

Dec 14, 06 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

is thread central counting down? the page listing at the bottom seems to be forming a reverse pyramid in that the first line listed 23 pages, the second line includes only 19 pages (taking us to page 42) and so far the third line is only at 18 pages (placing us at 60 pages overall). are these threads designed with an end in mind? will we reach it? and then what? will i be ready?

you know what might also be interesting is if a serial killer started using the archinect to quietly stalk and kill us. how long before we would notice that people are missing? and even then it would probably be a while before we realized that all of those innocent CD swaps that we mailed off were nothing more the signed death certificates...

i'm still alive.

Dec 14, 06 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

our holiday party (planned for tomorrow) has been officially cancelled on account of the un-seasonable warm weather ruining the holiday atmosphere

Dec 14, 06 6:38 pm  · 
 · 

myriam, shindler called it 'space development' which was like you said, a series of horizontal sections at different heights.

and speaking of warm winter;Europe's warm winter leaves ski areas struggling

Dec 14, 06 6:46 pm  · 
 · 

puddles, I think the tiered effect is a result of the entire second row being made up of double-digit numbers, whereas much of the first row were shorter numbers.

Dec 14, 06 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: