Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

liberty bell

rationalist, you are so deliciously rational.

I learned a lot today at a seminar on "Practicing Architecture in Indiana". Now I need to find the appropriate place to post some of this knowledge, as I don't think most people read TC.

Dec 14, 06 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
AP

office Christmas party is also tomorrow night - taking place at JMoMA, sooned to be renamed JMoCA, because the art within is more contemporary than modern...

Dec 14, 06 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm really hoping that rationalist is correct...else i'm really scared about where this is headed.

Dec 14, 06 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

will thread central self-destruct?

will it get sucked into a black hole?

maybe it will be struck by a run away train!

or spontaneously combust while washing dishes from last nights party?

what will happen to the central server when we reach the next page and we get a new line of page numbers... stay tuned for the next installment of as thread central turns...

Dec 14, 06 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Our office holiday party is also tomorrow evening. I will be leaving this promptly to attend an all-female slumber party at my apartment. It was the only night everyone was free so I had to fit them both in.

I will be watching my back on my way to the car after what puddles said above.

Dec 14, 06 9:33 pm  · 
 · 

tonight was the local aia chapter holiday party. free bourbon!!

Dec 14, 06 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
AP

nice. i went to an open bar tonight as well - a cool lighting rep covered the tab for the local Emerging Architects group (read: AIA under 30ish).

This was the first EA 'meeting' that I've attended since June.

Dec 14, 06 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

an all-female slumber party? that sounds perfect for a serial killer...be sure ot check in tomorrow wonderk

Dec 14, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Safety in numbers, and with cocktails.

Dec 14, 06 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

beware of malware, and anything called virusbursters - don't download, google and check out the mutha fucking problems you get when you do, spent the better part of oh i don't know 4 hours trying to rid this shit off my computer. i think i won.

Dec 15, 06 7:50 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Hoping no one showed up at the slumber party wearing a yellow dress and fish net socking....and heels.

Dec 15, 06 9:03 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

A giant basket full of Hershey products just arrived. Looks like I'll be getting fat this afternoon.

Dec 15, 06 11:11 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i am eating carrots and some fat free dressing...and then protein drink before party, hopefully that keeps me out of trouble at the party.

Dec 15, 06 11:20 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

the office holiday party kicks off in 1/2 hour. there are 2 dozen chaffing dishes pumping out sterno fumes in the kitchen area- yumn!!! beta, what are you doing for lunch?

re- sat night. I was thinking WA Frost. Since today is the wife's b-day, wanted to go somewhere nice, don't know what time we'll be there... guess it's time to play phone tag.

Dec 15, 06 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm still alive

Dec 15, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

An attempt to update the "what do archinects look like?" thread. So come on, and bring your jukebox money! Insert applicable photo here.

Dec 15, 06 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

so there's this not-so-great project that someone in our firm did a few years ago. one of my co-workers was telling me about the person that designed it and how she didn't really have a clue. we were looking at some of the poor design carried out on the project and he says something like "but that's what she wanted to do, so we didn't stand in her way."
Sounds familiar as this is my adopted 'tude with current project. But I don't know if I want to work for a firm that would let me make mistakes, only to laugh behind my back like they do to this girl (no longer here) who's design skill, or lack thereof, is still the butt of many jokes. Is this common practice? Is this an ego thing? Isn't what is better for the firm as a whole important?

Dec 15, 06 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

yeah, that was kinda my point a page ago about not wanting to sell short yourself, firm, and client by letting her crash. If you are serious about wanting to be with this firm for a while, start owning every issue now.

Dec 15, 06 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Number 5000:

Vado Retro, What the Fuh? (sung to Pyscho Killer by The Talking Heads)

I can't seem to post this comment...
Seems like 5000 should be an event.
Maybe I should quit and just get a life.
With a kid a dog and a shapely wife...

Vado Retro.
What the Fuh?
Ooh Ahh Hmmm Duh...
Vado Retro
What the Fuh?

I start a conversation and nobody cares at all.
I post a lot but I don't say anythang...
When I have nothing to say, well you get my drift.
Killed lots of threads and I'll do it again...

Vado Retro.
What the Fuh?
Ooh Ahh Hmmm Duh...
Vado Retro
What the Fuh?

I am vain and almost blind
I like pigeons more than people and I'm not polite...

Vado Retro.
What the Fuh?
Ooh Ahh Hmmm Duh...
Vado Retro
What the Fuh?

Dec 16, 06 11:30 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

vado something tells me 5000 should have coincided with 6000 - you were not that far away.

Dec 16, 06 11:33 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

killa, what's up for tonight? WA Frost looks nice, i dropped you an email.

Dec 16, 06 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Katze
Dec 16, 06 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

you have enough material to publish a book on vadoism...

Dec 16, 06 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yay! 5000! There it is. Nice work Mr. Retro.

Dec 16, 06 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

[i]Killed lots of threads and I'll do it again...

Vado Retro.
What the Fuh?
Ooh Ahh Hmmm Duh...
Vado Retro
What the Fuh?[i]

all great but this is most hilerious. just fuhing beautiful.

Dec 16, 06 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

vado-

I was worried that the 5k milestone was causing you to rethink the archinect posting lifestyle you've enjoyed... glad to see you make it!

Dec 16, 06 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Shenanigans! Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there are at least one, maybe more, very familiar screen names that have been changed by their owners. I'm all confused.

Everyone else enjoying their weekend? Yay for 68 degrees in the midwest today...

Dec 17, 06 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

Dec 17, 06 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

wK- didn't realize you're a LEED-AP. Any luck getting a project to go for certification? I'm thinking about starting a 'green central' thread and was searching for suitable links when i stumbled onto your celebratory post for passing the exam.

Paul- we need to add 'sustainability' as a topic filter for threads/news please. At least we got a nice set of links that covers the subject fairly well.

Dec 17, 06 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

so, i think i passed that fucker.

but this sums up my morning -

Dec 17, 06 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

beta which test did you take?

and yes, barry, I am LEED-AP. I wrote a big proposal over the summer for one of my clients to show them how easily their prototype could be converted to a LEED Certified commercial interior, but no one really paid attention. It's a tough gig in the Midwest. Probably because everyone here knows that after the polar ice caps melt, they'll still be on solid ground?!?

Dec 17, 06 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

BP, I hate 5.75 hour tests. Only one more graphic to take, hopefully.

Dec 17, 06 7:39 pm  · 
 · 

that is pretty typical wk...

i did a leed-like project here in japan about 8 years ago, but we were required to go all active systems (to get the milions bucks in grants from govt), and in the end my version for a passive system that cost less, used better materials (energy and off-gassing), designed for easy dismantling after the building had idone its duty...and ALL that shite, was totally abandoned in favor of a building that LOOKED like it might be energy efficient and ecologically sustainable (but was not cuz it was active, site-blind, and more)...

sometimes the inertia of the real world can be just plain ol dumb....i stopped trying to do eco-tecture for quite a while after that...

on the other hand my mum who is still living on the cdn prairie is convinced all her friends have cancer cuz of all the unnatural chemicals attached to farming (which is the biz where i grew up) and really wants to live in a better environment now...so maybe the enviro-awareness thing is moving out from its liberal intelligentsia base...

goodonya, beta.

Dec 17, 06 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

betadinesutures, it is so nice to finally see your face! The pics on the other threads too, but this one with "Prometric" in the background is the first thing to make me smile since Thursday. I'm sending "pass" vibes your way.

Dec 17, 06 9:36 pm  · 
 · 

Beta- glad to here that our round of beverages last night didn't jinx the test.

wK- Cinci may be the toughest of the ohio markets to push LEED, but not the only spot in the country- even Cali can be resistant until you make the numbers work. Getting those pesky upfront costs under control unless you're playing with other people's money still seems to be the barrier.

jump- cdn = canada? I'm just a dumb yankee, so clue me in please.

for lB- this is the headshot that paul didn't pick for the 'about archinect' page

it was taken during a charrette in Santo Domingo city hall for an urban design studio...

Dec 17, 06 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

thanks jump. thanks liberty! i certainly could use those vibes. next month site planning - again - and then ME....yeah!?

february - structural.

Dec 18, 06 5:35 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

barry, it was good to get out, a couple of more hours staring at that shit would not have helped me. good food, good coffee and good company makes for a better night anywho.

Dec 18, 06 5:37 am  · 
 · 

get extra practice in on the drawing software for site planning, beta. i remember blowing 20+ mins just trying to get the parking lot edge to stay where i was trying to put it. stupid program.

Dec 18, 06 7:04 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

you know what sucks about the SP part is that i KNEW that after the site layout i failed that one, but i also knew what i did wrong, so that helps, but yeah the software is a royal effing pain.

Dec 18, 06 7:13 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

will someone tell vado that craginess is next to godliness, and that with crags, comes wisdom.

ask these guys if crags works for them

well, okay maybe not mel gibson, but the other guys in the craggy-club got it.

Dec 18, 06 7:21 am  · 
 · 

i think this is why vado objected.

Dec 18, 06 7:25 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

RIP old man...

Dec 18, 06 9:02 am  · 
 · 

hey beta, i hope you pass all the exams. anybody who sneaks out a picture from the test area deserves a pass. my experience with graphic exams is to be really familiar with the software and follow prof. dorphs instructions. for the strutural; solve the same load calcs and other essential formulas over and over. hardest part of ARE is, start taking them, you'll pass sooner than you think.
i just woke up from my 16 hours sleep. my belly hurts from laying down that long. i've been working on something you'll see pretty soon. i got a really nice compliment from someone in business about abracadabra, faia. makes my day, since this person might be helpful for a possible publication. this wednesday i'll meet somebody for an interview to remodel their house. i am crossing my fingers since we are sort of broke. sunday i am off to ohio for a week. the problem is, without thinking, i promised my laptop to person who'll stay with the puppies. oh well, i think ross can loan me one his 10000 omputers once i get there...

Dec 18, 06 10:21 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Dec 18, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ooooh, fun, a challenge.

Dec 18, 06 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

I love that "stop stealing my bandwidth!" How cleaver!

Dec 18, 06 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

barry, yeah cdn = canadian.

the stop stealing bandwidth thang is funny. why are people so anal and still using the internet? isn't the internet ABOUT stealing (or creative sharing, if you are in a less cynical mood), in one way or tuther, when you get right down to it?

Dec 18, 06 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Speaking of "stealing bandwidth," what is Archinect's stance on hotlinking? Some forums view it as unacceptable behavior, but it almost seems to be encouraged here...

Dec 18, 06 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

I steal bandwidth from myself....

Dec 18, 06 9:08 pm  · 
 · 

C- I had the pleasure of dropping by the local AFH chapter meeting tonite. They have found a really great project designing a hospital in the Congo. It's really great that AFH is enabling opportunities for pro bono design time that will get built and isn't a competition. I've always shied away for entering comps because of the odds, I've always preferred to pour my heart, soul, and sweat into a project that isn't just a statistical chance of getting realized.

So is there a test i can take to become an registered AFHer? I want to start using the initials 'AFH' after my name to balance the LEED-AP.

Should we start an AFH central thread here for all thing humanitarian?

Dec 18, 06 10:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: