Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

AP

speaking of fabricated language - I've got a new one...not sure if it'll stick though...

retro-flection.

retroactive + reflection.

call the Department of Redundancy Department, quick!

Oct 26, 06 8:58 am  · 
 · 

my old boss used to say 'expotential'. i love that one.

antoher 'stupentacular'. or 'stupendtacular'. not sure how you'd spell it.

then there's that good old standby - almost always appropriate - 'craptastic'.

Oct 26, 06 9:13 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

cat woke me up at six thirty
turned on heater
feel crappy
get up at eight
its raining and 40 degrees
cut self shaving and it won't stop bleeding
feel crappy
call in sick
make tea...

Oct 26, 06 9:17 am  · 
 · 

nothing hurts my ears more than MASONARY... its MASONRY damnit... especially when it is the masonry sub that says masonary...

along the lines of craptastic... i'm a fan of 'ricockulous'...

another ear burner is when someone refers to LEED as LEEDS... leeds is a city in england, not a green building rating system!

Oct 26, 06 9:21 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Masonary makes me furious. Hate that one.

Swankadelic is one I do use frequently. I also once heard "dead swish" as in "This fabric used as curtains is just dead swish" but I've never been able to pull it off myself.

rationalista, another success story for you, you rock! I have never heard of the Tax Credit whatzis, but sounds incredibly tedious and yet you pulled it off - good going.

Oct 26, 06 10:29 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I have a good friend that adds an N to Minneapolis, and pronounces it Minneanapolis. I just can't correct him though. I slightly enjoy the fact that it makes him sound stupid.

Oct 26, 06 10:36 am  · 
 · 
AP

i am/was infamous among certain friends for adding a T to across, as in "acrosst the street." ...you can take the boy outta the hood, but you can't take the hood outta the boy...

Oct 26, 06 10:48 am  · 
 · 

around here, "ri-cock-ulous" is pretty popular.

Oct 26, 06 10:49 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I love "ricockulous". I will be introducing that one to my roommates post-haste.

Another favorite is "crapulous". However, this is a real word! And it means, "of or pertaining to being drunk or imbibing too much alcohol". I love it! It's ricockulous!

Oct 26, 06 11:29 am  · 
 · 

or is it craptacular? or craptastic?

Oct 26, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 
FRO

I dunno, but it reeks of crapulence

Oct 26, 06 11:57 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i am still in desperate need of a room mate

please chicago people!!!
LIVE WITH ME DAMN IT!!!!
IM FULL OF LOVE!!!!
AND RESPONSIBLE FEELINGS!!!
AND A JOB!!!!
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!!!
LIVE WITH ME DAMN IT!!!!

Oct 26, 06 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i'm home sick today and my neighbors are screwing!!!

Oct 26, 06 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
AP

sorry you're not feeling well, vado. i feel kinda crap-tastic myself, but good 'ol dayquil is helping me through the workday...

Oct 26, 06 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Hmm, ms. know-it-all is labeling the "shoulder courses" on the elevations. Good, I think that makes a lot of sense. Go right ahead, I can't stop you.

A little sarcastic and bewildered about now as I couldn't convince the PM that having a column right outside a main exit/entrance door (12" out from the door swing at 90 degrees open) is a bad idea. Ok, yeh, as long as we maintain clear space, I don't care if you fucking smack your face on a 6" steel tube column upon leaving the building either. Hey, it's bad design, but we probably won't get sued for it. Yep, I work for the company that puts columns outside exit doors. I see here we are calling out weatherstripping for the decorative steel gates, and dimensioned the windows to the outside of the nailing fin. Don't want to overthink those things.
I am so tired of fixing these mistakes. No wonder this is an architetural wasteland out here, we can't even put together a set of drawings. Fuck it. I have SOME fucking integrity.

Oct 26, 06 2:56 pm  · 
 · 

lletdownl- if I were there, I'd go for it. Alas, I'm here in sunny los angeles...

A day after besting TCAC, I have been crushed by the incompetence of the City of Inglewood. They won't let us have a fire lane!!!! They won't allow the curb cut for it. It is pretty much the most blatantly ricockulous thing I've ever experienced- of COURSE life safety should come before streetscape, DUMBASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Oct 26, 06 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

r- at least you've avoided the LA CRA. Maybe inglewood still has an old fashioned building department that responds to a coupla benjamins... Has the LA B&S department really gone clean?

Oct 26, 06 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

sorry you have the sniffles vado. Eat some chicken noodle soup.

Oct 26, 06 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I think it's a good day to surf the web all day.
Those drawings will draw themselves.

Oct 26, 06 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Strawbeary, if your firm is tossing columns in front of exit doors, maybe you should toss one in front of a urinal just for the fun of it and see if anyone picks up on it. I recall visiting the Gas Station Frank Lloyd Wright designed in Northern Minnesota over 20 years ago.
It was kinda unique in that the mens room was at a second level and yup right damn in front of the urinal....I mean like 6" in front of the urinal was a 6" dia. steel pipe column. No damn way I could ever use the urinal, with out having the pipe between you and the urinal.

Oct 26, 06 3:32 pm  · 
 · 

tk- I've dealt with both, and I prefer the CRA. Seriously, Inglewood is that bad. Many of their requirements are in conflict with life safety requirements or State of California LAW, and they just don't give a damn. They say, "well we're the ones who have to stamp your permits, so you'd better do what we say." and are completely unwilling to work towards a compromise.

Oct 26, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

At least I fought (and won) to get the column out of the basketball court. It WAS affectionately known as "the extra defender".

Oct 26, 06 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

my favorite: "sacrelicious"

pardon the potty humor, but i think there's something satisfying about having a huge length of pipe between you and the urinal. it builds confidence.

Oct 26, 06 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Stawbeary: damn you have ruined the home court advantage.

Oct 26, 06 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

It's all right, there's still the refs. I don't know about basketball, but in football, refs are just O-linemen that don't know where they're supposed to be. I love watching a running back use the ref as a screen...

Oct 26, 06 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

broccoli, never apologize for potty humor. It makes everyone laugh whether they admit it or not.

Oct 26, 06 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The THIS thread is better than (arrows symbols) thread is like an amazing Rubik's Cube to me - I want top start posting on other threads - like the butt plug thread - to jockey them into position to get commented on. I love it! betadine, was that you that started it? It was I think - brilliant, just brilliant.

Oct 26, 06 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
the only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once

- buckaroo banzai

Oct 26, 06 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven, I went to an AIA meeting tonight, and the reason I went is your oft-repeated statement here that "The AIA is what you help build it to be". Tonight's presentation was an attempt to recruit more small firms. I am a member already, but I wasn't planning to renew in January. Tonight's presentation went a long, long way toward changing my mind. I expressed interest in working with non-licensed interns to help inspire/guide them through the licensing process, and I expect by next week I'll have some emails from people who are already involved asking for my help. So we'll see - I'm feeling very optimistic about it.

So thank you for reminding me that I should be involved.

Oct 26, 06 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
AP

that Steven sure has a level head, doesn't he...

I was coming here to express a similar sentiment on beta's clever thread...that's no one liner, buddy...good stuff.

Oct 26, 06 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Bugger,,,,( a new word for Vado) Pushing Pumpkin time cause I helped a client move furniture around in "Our Renovated House"
I don't live there but every time I work on a project like this I'm ready to move in. So now I suffer as the Pumpkin time approaches and I still have a couple of drawings to plot.

Oct 26, 06 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i've got a word for you that my wife's old boss would say; escape-goat, yes escape-goat, and not scapegoat...nice, nothing like blaming the escaped goat for all your problems.

i have a term i made up its called "Bare Minimum" well i really didn't make it up, but it works when describing someone that does just that, the bare minimum. it's funny to use that around a person who is that and they have no clue what you are talking about...

Oct 27, 06 6:47 am  · 
 · 

in the market for a new career again. any suggestions?

Oct 27, 06 7:40 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis
More MC5 history for Vado!
Oct 27, 06 8:22 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

free wayne kramer!!!

Oct 27, 06 8:51 am  · 
 · 

ever think of pro hockey, steven? i always thought that would be fun...

Oct 27, 06 9:56 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

wayne who??????

Oct 27, 06 10:12 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

why steven?

Oct 27, 06 10:13 am  · 
 · 

Steven- I'm going to throw in industrial design. I just think it's a good follow up to architecture.

Actually, last night the crazy packaging prof told me he doesn't really think I'm a graphic designer, that I'm really an industrial designer.

Oct 27, 06 10:50 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

You know who I have been thinking about recently?

driftwood

I wonder where he went? I miss him and it's been months since he last commented.

Also, I happen to know vado is bored to tears at work today, so some interesting posts here would help him make it to the weekend.

Oct 27, 06 11:57 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I miss heterarchy too. Was just thinking of him the other day.

Oct 27, 06 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

I miss diabase and PixelWhore. I know they pop in occasionally, but I miss having actual conversations with them.

Oct 27, 06 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yes, I also miss heterarchy. So smart. I imagine he's too smart to ever move back to Indy, so I'll not get to have beers with him again!

Oct 27, 06 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

because architecture is soul-crushing.

Oct 27, 06 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

...or is it soul-sucking?

Oct 27, 06 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

anyone is welcome to suck my soul right out - take it. but the daily soul-in-a-vise-one-turn-tighter ain't working for me.

Oct 27, 06 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Toll Bros, quick!! Call Steven and offer him a huge salary to spend his days brainstorming about upcoming trends in the residential market!! He's a bargain at even the highest price and the time is right to make that offer!

Kidding, hon. Hope you at least make it to beer-thirty today.

Oct 27, 06 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

is that 4:30 or 5:30? it's almost 12:30. do you think that's close enough?

Oct 27, 06 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

12:30 on a Friday might as well be 8pm, as far as I am concerned. Where's that Basil-Hayden?

Oct 27, 06 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Today is my last day at work. It is weird and sad.

I'm about to start 2 weeks of va-cay in the big windy city, however, so if anyone wants to hang in Chicago starting Wednesday, let me know!

Oct 27, 06 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: