Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

liberty bell

AP your wood comment made me laugh, as I had thought it myself when I read puddles' comment.

e your garden is lovely. So lush, but controlled. And not a weed in sight, you must be relentless. I've taken a very relaxed attitude to my yard this summer: it is my first summer in my house, so I thought I'd just see what the yard "wanted to be" on its own. Now I see there are a lot of nice perennials (lotsa hosta) but a whole lot more weeds, I've started doing some clearing. Next year, I'll plant some hollyhocks and a hop vine.

I had a funny experience today. Back in 1988, when I was in undergrad (try not to gasp in shock too loudly, young 'necters), one of my best compadres - actually, the man who is now my partner - did a semester abroad. Our group of friends got together and made a tape (yes a cassette tape, kids) of ourselves goofing around in studio one night and mailed it to him. I found it last night while finally unpacking a box of books from the move and listened to it today.

It was funny, and heartwarming, and a good moment of reflection for me. Heartwarming because I am still in close contact with all of these people, a business partner with one, and we are all generally happy and fulfilled and successful (two of the five quit architecture to pursue other work) in our chosen paths. Funny because I sound so young! My voice was a girls' voice, not a woman's, though at all of 21 years old I definitely felt at the time like I was a grown up! Funny too because of the timely references - lots of Saturday Night Live stuff, and a top ten list. Lots of talk about local bars, of course!

My partner, who was abroad in 1988, responded with a recording of himself on the opposite side of the tape. He was carrying on about what great people he was meeting, including studio time with this guy named Rem Koolhaus of OMA!!!! And a lecture by Zaha Hadid, whose mind is so amazing that he couldn't believe she was a human like him!!! So funny - this was right after she'd won the Peak, I guess. He was fascinated by her.

Anyway (oh and that is funny that I typed that word because this tape reveals that "anyway" has been my segue word for at least 18 years now), it was fun to listen to it and inspiring to revisit where I came from, what my concerns were 18 years ago just starting into a life in architecture. Hang on to those studio friendships, guys, because those people really have come to know a side of you that other friends in your life will never really get.

Jul 27, 06 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i haven't read this thread since page 14. i don't know if i am a real archinector anymore :(

Jul 27, 06 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Also, myriam, I'm sorry I never responded to your post on page 31 about flying into Indy - yes, especially if you drive into it, you do get the sense that it is a burg surrounded by farmland. Very different from the east. And the airport is tiny - I don't worry about arriving to early for flights from there because it's so petite compared to Philly!

Ms. Beary you know you are! Just randomly pick a page between 15 and 32 and you'll find the same cast of characters.

Jul 27, 06 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
AP

thanks for sharing that story lb.

Jul 27, 06 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
AP
hilarious

Jul 28, 06 12:10 am  · 
 · 
dia

Gee, all of the old timers are coming back - garpike, strawbeary, e. Soon it'll be shalak moore, philip gentlemen and nancy manguy.

Great story Liberty. Although I am in a different country from my studio buddies, I still try and keep contact as much as possible... Very valuable friendships and times. Very inspiring people.

I'm off to have a couple of beers with the old man on a beautiful Auckland day.

Jul 28, 06 12:24 am  · 
 · 

nice story LB. and totally true.

i still know a few of the guys from undergrad, and many from grad school. have gotten so much advice and jobs from them that i honestly can't guess where i'd be now if not for them. certainly wouldn't have gone to london, thas for sure.

seems to be true also for my partner. he went to school in holland when koolhaas was still teaching at delft, and seems to know half the starchitects from when they were students or just starting out. lots of insider information type stories that are fun to hear.

btw i was in undergrad just a few years after you; mostly because i tried working as a cook for 3 years before going to uni...so no shock. it feels strange though to realise that some of the kids i meet lately weren't even born when i finished high school (1986). I still think i am 25 in my brain! my body has been reminding me lately that that is not the case, but i am determined to ignore the signals for as long as possible...;-)

Jul 28, 06 1:02 am  · 
 · 
AP

None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm.

Henry David Thoreau

People like you and I, though mortal of course like everyone else, do not grow old no matter how long we live...[We] never cease to stand like curious children before the great mystery into which we were born.

Albert Einstein

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Billie Burke

Jul 28, 06 2:07 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

AP-

you're starting to uncover my sordid past in Alachua County!!! ever go tubing on the itcheetucknee? that's good fun too. the springs are nice and cool for these most balmy of days. (though i consider myself an escapee of g'ville, i do find myself missing it from time to time...)

Jul 28, 06 4:14 am  · 
 · 

great story, lb. i know our tape would have included various songs of the 80s with revised architecture studio lyrics (e.g., there's a project that's been on my miiii-ind, stu- stu- studio). i'm also still connected to a lot of my undergrad buddies.

-i see one roommate several times a week (every day this week, in fact).
-another is coming up from new orleans, after having completed the repairs on his house after katrina, to go to the tom waits show with me and to help me yank up carpet in my new house.
-a third friend is taking a month off from polshek and going to new orleans to visit and, while there, do some volunteer work - possibly with afh, but maybe a diff organization.

these and others all came to my wedding 6 years ago.

manamana do DO do doodoo, manamana... would have also been on our tape.

Jul 28, 06 8:04 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

great stories all, and thanks AP for the link, it WAS hilarious. you guys are keeping me awake.....my head hurts so bad from sinuses, I feel like I'm going to wretch :o( what is with this midwestern monsoon anyway?

Jul 28, 06 8:41 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
i'm a lot like you
Jul 28, 06 9:07 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven, our tape inlcuded "Don't Worry Be Happy". And we also sang stu-stu-studio.

Jul 28, 06 9:32 am  · 
 · 
AP

yes, the springs are great, ACfA. most of my spring-time has been spent on the Santa Fe River...

having only spent the better part of 4 years in G-ville, my relationship with isn't quite the same as yours. My escape was from Miami...

so, that makes you a quondam "ACR", right? ;-)

...some of the Santa Fe River springs, for those not familiar:

Ginnie Springs

Poe Springs

[img]http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/guide/bluesprings30.jpg width=418[/url]

Blue Springs

Jul 28, 06 9:43 am  · 
 · 
AP

[img]http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/guide/bluesprings30.jpg width=418[img]

!@#%$%^ &^!

Jul 28, 06 9:45 am  · 
 · 
AP

!

more coffee, stat.

Jul 28, 06 9:46 am  · 
 · 
myriam

You guys make me realize I need to be in better contact with my studio buddies. Although I went over to London in May to stay with one for a week... and I've talked to two others on the phone this week... and will be seeing another college pal this weekend... I guess I'm not doing so badly for someone who lives far away from everyone she knows. Hmm!

Jul 28, 06 10:14 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

anyhow, i'm still alive

Jul 28, 06 11:29 am  · 
 · 
e

thx for the kind words AP and ms. bell. yes, i am relentless and patient. patience is key to gardening. nothing happens quickly. well, weeds do, but that's it. this past year i cut down an apple tree and removed the stump. the previous owners never did a good formative pruning. it was a hideous tree, and after 5 years of trying to make it look good, i realized it was hopeless.

after removing it i planted a royal star magnolia in its place. the magnolia is deciduous and will get to be about 15'x15'. here is a pic of the flower.

Jul 28, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

e-
wow. that looks gorgeous. never knew there were multiple species of magnolia. you've got the green thumb!

ap-
ACR is reserved for those who go to UF. i do not fall under that category. at 18, i promptly left the sunshine state first chance i got.

but i do miss the springs... a cool 72 degrees in the water year round...

Jul 28, 06 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
e

acfa, it is a beauty. there are many options for magnolias. they vary greatly in size. the royal star is on small end. they are both decidious and evergreen. i prefer the decidious because they don't have large glossy leaves like the evergreens do. the structure of the flowers vary greatly too. i like the delicateness of the royal star and the way it falls open and is much different than the ever popular goblet shaped flower.

Jul 28, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
AP

lots of those goblets in florida...

ACfA, not to question your knowledge of the term, but we always used ACR in reference to local local locals, often from outside of Gainesville...people from Rochelle or Melrose...people that didn't go to UF or any school for that matter...(they're cool people, I made acquaintance with quite a few while I was there...)

Jul 28, 06 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

e, you'll be happy to know that i just watered my house plant. woohoo.

Jul 28, 06 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
e

and your plant will love you for it vado.

Jul 28, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

WTF ... another post about nanotechnology ... again by laistm.

Jul 28, 06 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I can't wait to have a garden. I want rosebushes and an orchard with fruit trees: orange (orange blossoms scent!), lemons, apricot, almonds, peaches, mango, grapefruit, fig. Also, I love magnolias. Yours is beautiful, e--I had no idea there were different varietals!

I can't wait to get my own house with my own little bit of earth. Kunstler would hate me... I'm tired of the city!

Jul 28, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
e

myriam, well i technically live in the city. seattle is filled with single family detached homes.

Jul 28, 06 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Ahhh. There are homes in Boston too but I am itching for some countryside. I need room for my orchard! And a shed where I can build things! And...

Jul 28, 06 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I am ready for a little countryside, possibly prematurely. I am torn.

Jul 28, 06 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
e

yeah, you'll need room to grow myriam. i'd like some more land so that i could have a bigger garden.

Jul 28, 06 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

i'm moving into a new house on a court in the middle of the city. no street, just gardens and sidewalk at the front, alleys in the back. but right in the middle of everything. yay!

Jul 28, 06 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

steven, lb showed me pics of your new place. looks great. love the porch!

Jul 28, 06 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Not as big as that house we saw this morning, huh, vado? But much nicer.

Steven, make sure all the keys are gone!

Jul 28, 06 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

e: another nice variety of magnolia is 'Pink Star'. Hardy to zone 5b I think. I gave one to my mother for Mother's Day about 4-5 years ago and it's doing fine. I especially like the furry flower buds on it all winter.

Jul 28, 06 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

flowers are great, but i don't know anything about growing them and doubt that i'll ever have a garden. still, i love picking up some stargazer lilies to freshen up the smell of my flat.

Jul 28, 06 8:42 pm  · 
 · 

wow. you guys have been busy today.

Congratulations Steven. Moving is always exciting, and that sounds like a great place.

I'm off to the armpit of California tonight, for the weekend. Visiting the bf's family in Fresno... I read that ten people have died of heat stroke there in the past week or so. Must remember sunscreen...

Jul 28, 06 9:41 pm  · 
 · 

neighborhood and court described here:

The neighborhood includes two pedestrian courts, long rows of houses accessible only by alleys and the sidewalks running through the front yards, with no conventional street. Ivanhoe Court was built in 1914, and the slightly smaller Maplewood Place a year later in 1915. These types of developments, built during the streetcar suburb era, are apparently unique to Louisville. There are 11 in Old Louisville, but outside of Deer Park only a few others remain today.

no pictures online or i'd show one.

Jul 28, 06 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

this just in, cat comments on dwell by barfing on it.

Jul 28, 06 10:15 pm  · 
 · 

aha! got it!

the house:

the 'street':

thanks myriam and vado (and lb).

Jul 28, 06 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

arggh!

the street:

Jul 28, 06 10:30 pm  · 
 · 

ok, just signed up for flickr

and it's fun

here's my daughter...

...flirting.

Jul 28, 06 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

If anyone wonders what Steven looks like, look at Adeline. Add stubble and cool glasses. That makes Steven!

(She's beautiful, Steven!)

Jul 29, 06 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

i have teeth!

Jul 29, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oops, yes true: you do have teeth. And shorter hair, and I've never seen you wear a flowered dress. But otherwise: spittin' image.

Jul 29, 06 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

poor kid should've tried harder to look like her mother.

Jul 29, 06 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
AP

she's damn cute. wide-eyed. that poor little blonde boy doesn't know what he's in for....(I date the daughter of an architect...and had to learn the hard way ;)

Jul 29, 06 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
This

discussion about finding good employees is really interesting, with good points made by everyone involved, and vado is being so serious about it he hasn't even posted a single YouTube link yet! Unbelievable!!

Honestly, it would be good reading for young interns thinking about where their future career paths may lead them, too.

Jul 30, 06 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

to take a nap and then drink a beer, or to drink a beer and then take a nap? that is the question???????????????????????????????????????

Jul 30, 06 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

...and the discussion linked to above also now includes an absolutely pricelessly wonderful must-see video of our own abra the saint. Hilarious, abra! You are brilliant!

Jul 30, 06 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
AP

yes. speedie indeedie. with style.

Jul 30, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: