Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

A Center for Ants?

last night after 6pm PST, i couldn't get to archinect at all.
said the domain was not taken... weird....

Jul 25, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

yay it's back!

Jul 26, 06 5:58 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

Has archinect returned to its pre grad app, pre hating on everything days?

I had to request a new password its been so long since I logged in.

Life has been more interesting lately, probably owing to my reduced online presence.

Back to grad school in a month, if I have time (ha!), I'll blog.

Jul 26, 06 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

yay and both Supers are back too!

I just got back from North Carolina where we had a big meeting with our clients yesterday. Last night we went out with these clients and one of the GCs, who proceeded to buy us probably about $400 worth of food and alcohol. They invited another guy, this hilarious dirty old man (who might become a client), who, after several shots of tequila, sat me in a bar stool and gave me the following quiz:

1) Does thinking of boys make your hands clamy, a little clamy, or not at all?
2) You are the captain of a sailboat. There are pirates ahead to your right and a strong wind to your left. Do you proceed or sit and wait to get attacked?
3) You have a sandwich with ham, roast beef, and calamari. Do you use sourdough, regular bread, or a bagel? ("A square-gel!")

And my personal favorite:
4) I'm a hairdresser. Are we going to give you a cut, a curl, or a color?

There was a 5th question but it is too dirty to repeat.

:o)

Jul 26, 06 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I was in New York today ... went to Columbia's Avery Library ... was treated rudely b/c I was not a Columbia student ... went to the corner of 108th and Broadway and saw an elderly woman faint. She just collapsed to the ground like a rag doll. Called 911, waited for EMS. Stood around until they came. The woman was hydrated, she ended up fine. Then I went to a deli and had a panino with lemonade. I went to Union Square and met with one of my professors to discuss a project. Had another lemonade. Took the subway to Grand Central. Took the Metro North back to New Haven. Bought some M&M's. Walked home.

I am exhausted.

Jul 26, 06 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

WonderK, that's just cruel.....let's hear it! And how did you answer?!

That was nice of you to help the fainting lady, Smokety, instead of walking away hoping someone else would deal with it.

Jul 26, 06 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

yeah, wondork...you gotta share that now, or we'll pester with unsolicited email until you do!

and good work smokety...something about nyc just brings out the good samaritan in me too. last time i was there i held the door open for a person with only one leg, and later help an 82 year old woman across the street and through a snow bank (that was right after the big snowfall last february when the city got something like 25 inches of snow in about eight hours).

Jul 26, 06 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i just ate an entire loaf of italian bread while catching up on archinect...didn't think it'd be that easy...i'm exhausted...is it true the vado retro is really michael graves?...don't answer that, vado

Jul 26, 06 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Puddles, I have always been intrigued by the statement in your bio. Please expand on this.

ps: Good to see you still alive.

D

Jul 26, 06 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

three cheers for the good samaritans!!!

Jul 26, 06 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

puddles I'm struggling to resist the bar of dark chocolate that I know is in my cupboard not 15' away.....

vado is not michael graves. He's a much snappier dresser.

Jul 26, 06 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

a friend recently described me as "the guy noir of architecture"

...that might be a compliment...or maybe it's just an accurate description

Jul 26, 06 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

holy moses. that noir fella looks just like the guy who gave me my first job and in no more than 2 weeks later he used to send me to liquor store (davy jones liquor locker) to pick up his phone order. it was never coffee in his paper cup.

story a minute.abra.

Jul 26, 06 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

diabase I am so happy to see you!

Jul 26, 06 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

oh shit i got some dark chocolate in the fridge!!!

Jul 26, 06 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i have a michael graves mop from target...thanks liberty you are too kind...

Jul 26, 06 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski
"i have a very american accent."

during my school days, i once did a two month studio abroad in oslo, norway. as part of my efforts to make the most of the experience i tried to learn as much norwegian as i could...with limited success. i only covered about four chapters out of the sixteen in the intro study book. once i was there i took every opportunity i could to practice but usually without success.

for example, in norwegian i'd say,
-i would like a glass of beer. (jeg vil gjerne hat et glass øl.)
and then, in perfect english, the norwegian waitress would reply,
-would you like a small or large glass?

towards the end of my time in norway, the oslo school of architecture was hosting their exceptional summer kick-off party and as i was enjoying the øl i was also introducing myself (by speaking norwegian) to many people, one of whom happened to be a close friend of my teacher. as a norwegian, she politely accepted my introduction and then i greeted her boyfriend with
-hei, jeg heter puddles! jeg kommer fra michigan! hva heter du?
to which he replied (in an argentinian accent),
-yo, i don't speak norwegian...but you have a verrry amerrrican accent!

a moment of self awareness that i doubt i'll ever forget. i never thought that i would ever speak norwegian and it certainly had never entered my mind that i'd speak it with an american accent...but then i suppose that i'm always speaking with an acccent

Jul 26, 06 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
for puddles
Jul 26, 06 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i am so grateful you guys are here. i was getting so uptight and upset about wars and shit. oh my. every night i tell myself i am not gonna get myself involved with that stuff. it goes nowhere. some people just like to hate and thats all they see in others.
i don't know. maybe its my sharp tangue making some people feel offended.
well, if they want to hate each other and fight and stuff let them have it. i'd rather be here with the higher intelligentsia and the wiser elite...
i am starting to recognize and accept the class structure.

the last guy in rock star contest last night is gonna win the contest the female jury member was buldozing everybody but she got up and clapped him at the end i think she has the hots for him tina thinks they are item i think i saw them kissing right before the geico commercial from whom i got a 6 months liability car insurance yesterday over the internet and they faxed me the proof of insurance right then.
i am going home now. i got some stuff done today designing a reception area for a beverly hyills hair salon which is a great job site picture

michael graves..hmmm..i've been to his tiny office in new haven around 1980, they were mass producing yellow flimsy drawings with pine trees for max protech gallery who in turn was selling them for 2500$ a pop. the guy knew his stuff and thought everybody to draw just like himself. target wouldn't be the same without mikael. wow.

Jul 26, 06 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I once had a MG target toilet plunger. It didn't work worth a damn. One function this object had to perform and it was unusable.

I fantasized about wrapping it tightly, so its form was apparent, in brown paper, sticking on an address label, and mailing it to the Graves office in Princeton. Instead I just threw it away.

abra glad a few of us could be here tonight. And glad you got your insurance worked out. Post that jobsite pic!

Jul 26, 06 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Thank you Liberty, right back at you.

I am popping in now and then. Pretty busy these days. More and more work. Less and less time... Same old story

I have been lurking and shirking...

Thank you puddles, your elaboration was enlightening. Anyone else want to elaborate?

Jul 26, 06 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well my mop is fallin apart the plastic grip part at the top of the handle keeps comin off. its better than gettin bombed though...

Jul 26, 06 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ok fine,
Essentially I discovered upon hearing the 5th question that the first four were just kind of meant to throw me off course. There were only two of us girls there last night, myself and my younger coworker, the interior designer, and the dirty old man asked us what we might "do to each other" if we ever happened to be scantily clad in a sauna together.

Jul 26, 06 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
dia

wonderk, they were very odd questions, I wonder if they were random or rehearsed? If they were rehearsed it show an unusual yet banal sensibility. If they were random, it shows an unusual yet banal sensibility. In either case, the bread you want is ciabatta, brushed with olive oil and slightly grilled.

Jul 26, 06 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

is one ever clad in the sauna?

Jul 26, 06 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

oh my god vado that's what I was about to post....but I thought it was a little inappropriate for me to say so - glad you don't have such qualms!!

Very funny DubK - so how did you answer (bearing in mind that this guy is a potential client!!!)?

Jul 26, 06 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I did the only thing I could have possibly done....laughed, got up, and announced that we were leaving!

Jul 27, 06 12:12 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

so what would you do in th e sauna? thats waht i think everyone wants to know.

Jul 27, 06 8:41 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

WonderK is a woman, so I'm guessing she'd do what I do in the sauna: bitch about men with my girlfriends. Then sigh and say how much we love them anyway. Am I close, DubK?

Jul 27, 06 8:55 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

I don't need to be in a sauna to bitch about men.

Jul 27, 06 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

options to clad yourself in the sauna:
http://www.claddingsolutions.com/

i'd do a metal panel... maybe aluminum. maybe zinc. i think the zinc would be nice. against all the wood of the sauna. it might be hot to the touch though. you could recess the metal in a reveal. maybe do a nice reveal at 42" high... nice and bold. like 4 or 6 inches in height

Jul 27, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

whew... scantily clad and reveal(-s)(ing?) i think i'm starting to sweat... that's hot.

Jul 27, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I honestly don't think I could go in a sauna any time soon, and if I did, I would be wearing something. Not metal though, that might hurt. In any case I'm much more modest than most of my male friends, who all like to be naked in public. Rugby players especially, for some reason. Weird. Anyway, yeah I'd be bitching about men as well. Always a good time.....

Jul 27, 06 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Brilliant twist on "clad", ACfA!

Being in the Midwest these days is like being in a sauna, anyway. Especially when driving a convertible (which I only do whilst clad!).

Jul 27, 06 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

midwest = sauna

i was just thinking the same thing

and thanks for the wood vado...those were some very nice sounds

Jul 27, 06 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

puddles..

the norwegian is rough..i've been trying to pronounce it correctly
for years with out much luck...

the asking for a beer though in the way you did sounded very
textbookish though...which may have been what gave you away.

i think you'd just say, 'can jeg for et ol'.. don't know if it's completely
spelled right.

also norwegians love to speak english..so it may have been just
that.

my mom still has a norwegian accent and she's been in america for
35 or so years now.

Jul 27, 06 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
e

my garden in july

Jul 27, 06 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

thats beautiful e. so green. and ofcourse, lula, owner occupier.

Jul 27, 06 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
cf

At the Oslo railroad station, I asked a policeman to direct me to the bathroom. He asked if I meant the "restroom", of course in perfect English.
My next stop was a Crawfish Party with silly hats and songs. Well, they got me drunk with beer, then wine, then snaps, then beer again. In perfect American English (via MTV) someone said, "Dude, looks like you're about to hurl".
Then somehow we all found ourselves in a sauna. The Europeans say Americans are quick on the trigger. In this case I was not the exception. They were entertained that night.

Jul 27, 06 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

4K here we come!!!!!

Jul 27, 06 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Honest, you guys, I really do know how to spell "appropriate".

Jul 27, 06 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
e

thanks abra. lula is without a doubt the owner occupier. she was actually claiming her turf as that photo was taken. she is eyeing the neighbors cat and wondering what the hell it is doing in her yard.

Jul 27, 06 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ugh. It feels like it has been 17 years since I have been here. Now that I am rendering I can finally reconnect - until Wednesday's deadline. Ugh.

So what going on on this side? I heard an Archinector was looking to move in my old apartment - my roommates are still there. I don't recall the username.

Jul 27, 06 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

famous 32s:

sandy koufax
FDR (32nd pres)
magic johnson
scotty pippen
karl malone

Jul 27, 06 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

32 oz. Budweiser.

Jul 27, 06 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

OJ Simpson
# of Bach Goldberg Variations

Jul 27, 06 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

lars,

its "kan jeg få et glass øl?" and, yeah, i tried that one a few times too.

one of the funniest was when i asked for vann (water) but pronounced it like "van" in english...the poor kid serving me nearly died laughing. oh well...i tried.

Jul 27, 06 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

puddles, will you be alive tomorrow? I hope so.

Jul 27, 06 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
AP

I have a Michael Graves toilet brush from Target.
it hasn't let me down yet. ;-)

heh....vado gave puddles wood...

damn e, that garden's real nice...

ACfA, son of Gainesville, i plan on being scantily clad and jumping into a sink-hole out past Hawthorne this weekend.

...been super busy this week preparing for a client presentation that was today.
arrive at work early early this morning, drive 3 hours to presentation/what turned out to be an informal discussion in front of some renderings and plans.
client was diggin on everything... no complaints from CEO man whatsoever, a few nice compliments from the other administrators etc...
Total meeting time, maybe 2 hours tops, a short walk around the campus, back on the road, stop for lunch, drive some more.
Six hours of driving for less than 2 hours of presentation. Arrive back at office just after 4pm.
[Community] Design Activism Committee meeting at 5:30.
home by 7:30.

I'm exhausted.

Jul 27, 06 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
AP

however, having witnessed no fainting ladies, I was unable to add myself to the list of good samaritans.

Jul 27, 06 10:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: