Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

A Center for Ants?

i think i saw a coroflot binder floating around my workstation a few weeks ago...

let us know when you get more stuff posted rationalist. i was too chicken too ever show any of my own work on this site. kudos to you!

Jul 13, 06 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Here's something...shhhh.

Jul 13, 06 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

oh no! the graphic is pretty cool. Actually it's kind of an interactive thingy. Were you in firefox, maybe that works better? I think you'd find it interesting.

Jul 13, 06 6:37 pm  · 
 · 

IE. Maybe I'll try it on firefox when I get home.

Jul 13, 06 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

you're definitely not a dope, lb, but i remember issues like that garage door/duct 'gotcha' and that smarts...

maybe the saving grace in my current situation is that the projects are big enough that i can usually beg off with 'i'll have to check on that' or 'i can't remember - i'll check the drawings when i get back'. that at least defers the embarrassment to a time when i'm on the phone and not face to face. and i can usually figure out the answer in the interim.

Jul 13, 06 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

a smile for lb:

Jul 13, 06 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Thanks Steven. Sorry everyone else, that one we really can't explain without potentially being rude.

Jul 13, 06 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

"I'll have to check the drawings at the office...hmm can't remember all the particulars offhand...mumble mumble has to do with the mumble mumble...I'll be in touch!" [walks away]

I use that one SO OFTEN nowadays. Whew! It's a life-saver! Plus it makes you look all cerebral 'n stuff. "Look at me, I'm the architect, I use drrrawwwwings!" ;)

Jul 13, 06 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

You know, vapor barriers may or not be totally effective, and I enjoy discussing it - but honestly, all I really care about is dreesing up my buildings to look pretty.

Jul 13, 06 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I laugh every time.

Jul 14, 06 12:09 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

am i still alive?

Jul 14, 06 10:24 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

holy shit! myriam is a cartoon!?

Jul 14, 06 10:31 am  · 
 · 

those of us that have met her can vouch that she doesn't have a nose nor ears

Jul 14, 06 11:19 am  · 
 · 
myriam

ha ha ha! i kind of forgot about myself. as portrayed by my friend ben. (shameless plug for a good artist)

Jul 14, 06 11:25 am  · 
 · 
AP

nice part...

Jul 14, 06 11:37 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

yeah... i don't think myriam was born like that...

maybe a little nip tuck to get her nose that way?

this is myriam before she met dr. 90210:

Jul 14, 06 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

myriam,

i'm sorry i lost your nose...(scratches head) i don't know how that happened.

Jul 14, 06 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

bonus to whomever can guess the reference:

"and after every op-er-ation get a box
with...
ALL OF YOUR PARTS
...we removed!"

Jul 14, 06 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

maytag?

Jul 14, 06 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
myriam
Suture Yourself, At Home! Suture yourself, in front of your family...

by the Capitol Steps. Funny group.

Also, I guess I look more like this:

Jul 14, 06 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Ha! hahahahahaha

Jul 14, 06 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

you look like a thief that looks like homestar runner?

all black though... very designy

Jul 14, 06 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

the thing about questions that put you on the spot is how confident you appear when answering them. it's always surprises me to see someone react poorly when caught off guard,i.e., they start rambling on trying to make up excuses/answers on the fly, sometimes accompanied by sweating or blushing of the face. these are bad reactions are clearly fail to convey any sense of leadership or confidence. this is like blood in the water, and the sharks will close in quickly. fortunately, most people that you meet are not sharks but will actually notice your discomfort and try to "go easy" on you...still, that's not what you want.

as professionals, dealing with this kind of thing is really just a matter of preparation. so the next time you get that feeling of being punched in the gut: 1. take a breath and 2. look at their face, right in the eyes and reply "i don't know...i'll have to look into that for you...any other questions"

now if it's one of those situations where somebody (perhaps a garage door guy) catches one of your oversights, avoid being defensive and answer with something like "you know, i was just thinking that myself. excellent call!" or give'em all the credit, "you what?...you're right...maybe you should be the architect! ha ha ha!"

anyhow, the point is just to roll it & not panic

Jul 14, 06 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

and guess what? i actually went to a movie this week. it was called the devil wears prada...and it wasn't at all about remment koolhaas. just in case you were wondering.

Jul 14, 06 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

i am really glad puddles is alive and here is a turkish song dedicated to puddles on this hot summer day. she is singing about being on the beach and carefree. economy music video. she is also in 'masked and anonymous' soundtrack beautifully singing 'one more cup of coffee'.
sertab

Jul 14, 06 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

thanks orhan. too bad i don't know any turkish...but it sounded good and certainly looked lovely. nice choice, maybe you can become archinect's official vj and we can put mtv to shame

Jul 14, 06 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Had a Family meeting last week ... and It's decided ...

Tying the knot on the 30th of this month ....

yep .. its a rush job .... and I'm bloody nervous !!

all are invited ;) ...

Jul 16, 06 8:07 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yay, sporadic, I feel like I haven't seen you around much lately then here you pop up on TC with such wonderful news, yay!

The rush job is actually a good thing - better to just do it - the important thing is the person you are marrying, not the ceremony. It will be rushed and hectic and crazy getting all the planning done but I'm certain it will turn out to be a wonderful day. Gosh you proposed in Turkey, where will you honeymoon?!?

Best of luck.

Jul 16, 06 8:19 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i have been in marriage negotians with the same fine female ever since we broke up eight years ago. i think im wearing her down.

Jul 16, 06 8:30 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

is that the turkish shakira? i like...liked the song also.

Jul 16, 06 8:35 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

all u chitown hustlers, enjoy the games!!!

Jul 16, 06 8:39 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

:) .. thanks LB .. yeah, been awefully busy of late with work and family ...

am excited ... but the realization that there's just around 2 weeks left is a lil scary.

I'm being gifted a honeymoon by my office ...
7 days in a nice Indian Resort supposed to be nice and quite.. would be a good break from Dubai

I'm busy calling all my cousins and friends now !! .. damn .. don't wanna miss anyone !!

Jul 16, 06 8:54 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Vado ...
shakira is lebanese-Columbian ... works either way !!

Jul 16, 06 8:56 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh, that resort looks lovely, sporadic, just the kind of quiet away-from-everything break I'd love about now....enjoy!

Jul 16, 06 8:56 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

yeah .. can't wait ... :) ..

I hope someone organizes a bachelor party for me though .. haha ..

Jul 16, 06 9:01 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

that looks like a great place to take shakira for a honeymoon!!!

Jul 16, 06 9:18 am  · 
 · 

did you guys notice that 'views' is gone from most pages, including the home page? you can still access it from the image gallery.

we must not have been coming up with enough material for the view dept. i've been working on one, but it's been slow in coming....

Jul 16, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i just got back from Thaddeus 3 day seminar for GS/LF - great seminar, worth the $$ if it's been a while since structures was something you cared about - but fuck if i couldn't stand a couple of the dweeb, nerd architects to be...i mean shit they love to hear themselves talk! most of their responses, questions, answers were either wrong or dumb and they dragged the class into areas NOT needed for the exam! my god, i felt like going into day trading today, they are like trekkies...are we really like this, can we talk about shit other than shop? because right now i not only think Architecture Sucks, but so do Architects......

Jul 16, 06 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

Steven: I like the little "A Random Member Quote" box on the right below the "Other Views..." list.

It changes everytime you reload the "Views" page. Much wisdom there from various archinecters.

Jul 17, 06 1:15 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

wow...i'm clueless but i had never even noticed the "views" section before. thanks steven ward for just now pointing this out. and i'll second farmer on the random member quote...that's a fun feature.

Jul 17, 06 2:45 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

and what am i doing up at 02:45 on a monday morning? i shouldn't even be alive at this hour let alone awake.

Jul 17, 06 2:46 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

the important thing, Puddles, is that you're alive !!.. :)

Jul 17, 06 6:01 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

wow .. this war is really heating up .. we have two threads, link and here !!, on the subject !!!

though this one faces elimination soon

Jul 17, 06 6:12 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell
Damn

that Random Quote feature! That could keep me occupied (aka not working) all day long!!!!

Jul 17, 06 7:39 am  · 
 · 

i've always liked that feature, too. but i wish it was MORE random. there are a limited number that have been entered into the pool of quotes and they just cycle through.

truly random quotes, however, would probably be a) meaningless out of context and b) dangerous. they'd have to write in some kind of rules for what quotes could get picked up and what couldn't. lots of 'LOL' wouldn't be very interesting for very long.

Jul 17, 06 7:43 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm alive and losing my mind...woke up at 06:00 and ran 4 miles (which is what...maybe 7km?)

and this war is very bad news...i hope it doesn't disrupt thread central

Jul 17, 06 8:52 am  · 
 · 
AP

ya:

random = 12 or so rotated in random order.

funny nevertheless.

Jul 17, 06 8:54 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

betadine: I feel your pain. Sometimes I feel like I'm breaking some kind of architect code when I say "OK, that's all interesting but let's get down to whether or not it really matters in the context of what we need to be discuccing! (in this case, exam review - just tell me how to pass the #!*&$! test, please!)

Some other thread 'round here I posted on "Gunner Bingo" - the game we played in undergrad wherein the names of the "gunner" students - those who loved to repeat the professor's words back to the class for the sake of hearing themselves talk and looking smart - were arrayed in a grid on a piece of paper, during class as the gunners asked questions you X'd them off the grid until BINGO! was shouted out by some lucky winner...once our professor who had been clued in to the game and thought it hilarious actually yelled out gunner himself when one particularly overbearing gunner asked a question. Very funny.

Having thorough knowledge is impressive, but so is efficiency. A smart architect knows which one is more relevant at which time.

Jul 17, 06 9:22 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

betadine: I feel your pain. Sometimes I feel like I'm breaking some kind of architect code when I say "OK, that's all interesting but let's get down to whether or not it really matters in the context of what we need to be discuccing! (in this case, exam review - just tell me how to pass the #!*&$! test, please!)

Some other thread 'round here I posted on "Gunner Bingo" - the game we played in undergrad wherein the names of the "gunner" students - those who loved to repeat the professor's words back to the class for the sake of hearing themselves talk and looking smart - were arrayed in a grid on a piece of paper, during class as the gunners asked questions you X'd them off the grid until BINGO! was shouted out by some lucky winner...once our professor who had been clued in to the game and thought it hilarious actually yelled out gunner himself when one particularly overbearing gunner asked a question. Very funny.

Having thorough knowledge is impressive, but so is efficiency. A smart architect knows which one is more relevant at which time.

Jul 17, 06 9:23 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Dammit, sorry - bumped into my mouse button while using my laptop as a sketch surface.

Jul 17, 06 9:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: