Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

larslarson

so my year of picking furniture out of the trash continues...
for some reason someone decided to throw out a modernica fiberglass shell right in front of my building...the legs are broken, but i bought a new base today and it'll be good as new in a week or so...

crazy to me that someone throws away a perfectly good shell that's worth about $250...it will nicely compliment the three eames chairs i found and my other purchased furniture...and i was just about to buy another eames rocking chair, but decided to hold off...nice

Apr 30, 09 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Lars, where do you live that you find these great things?

Apr 30, 09 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'm wondering how seriously I'd be taken if I met somebody at a dinner party and told them I'm an architect at a firm called Ginseng Chicken.

Apr 30, 09 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

SH..in lower manhattan..

Apr 30, 09 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

lars, watch out for bedbugs!

Apr 30, 09 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I think we can settle the question of why Cincinnati's Over-the-Rhine neighborhood has less of a noise nuisance than NYC's Washington Heights: Cincy has Shadow Hare. Be afraid, hoodlums. Be very afraid.

Apr 30, 09 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

LIG, I see that is making its way around the internet at warp speed. We found different links simultaneously. Awesome.

Apr 30, 09 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I agree with you puddles. It's always the uber creepy guys that hit on me.

Apr 30, 09 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I've only recently started using RSS feeds... Gotta love the ability to follow multiple blogs at once.

Regarding the story, I don't know whether to laugh or to be embarrassed...

Apr 30, 09 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm pretty sure that laughter and utter embarrassment are both called for in this situation.

Can anyone else tell that I've been procrastinating lately?

Apr 30, 09 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Melt, be honest, even when the creepy guys hit on you, after you've walked away and are safe, you still look back and smile. You know you do.

Same with you, puddles. You know you get a kick out of people commenting on your penis. Strange, though.

Apr 30, 09 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Archie. Nothing like sucking face with a Pig!

Apr 30, 09 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

do bedbugs really exist?? been hearing about them since i was a child

Apr 30, 09 7:11 pm  · 
 · 

so the swine flu apparently never came from no pig. figgers.

japanese people used to throw away the most amazing stuff. us foreign folk would often walk the streets on garbage day looking for vcrs and tvs that literally were in perfect condition but were being thrown out cuz someone bought something new. my friends had jumbo tvs the size of their wall, all kinds of furniture, even household appliances for free. cars also were cheap in japan. taxes and something called the shaken (a mandatory vehicle emissions and road-worthiness test) make keeping a car more than 10 years more expensive than buying a new one. so the ferrin crowd again would step in and pick up fantastic cars for free (yes, people would give them away) and send them back home on a boat. those days are gone now. japan discovered used-goods stores, and the russians buy up most of the old cars. but when i first came here it was amazing. things for free, all over the place, and even if you are ugly back home japanese girls think you look like brad pitt.

Apr 30, 09 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

jump...beauty is in the eye of the beholder....my proof is mrs b....I'm an ole cowboy from the plains of Dakota and she is my little popcorn from Brazil.

Apr 30, 09 8:37 pm  · 
 · 

hey we from the same place (more or less) snook.

and of course you are tight.

actually to be perfectly honest i was more often compared to robin williams than to brad pitt.

Apr 30, 09 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

SH - I can honestly tell you that even after all is said and done creepy guys are creepy guys, it actually makes me feel worse. I feel that there must be something wrong with me in that I only creepy guys ever want to hit on me/talk to me.

panda - yes bedbugs really do exist and in some cities they are becoming a big problem once again. DubK and I had a co-worker who had a huge infestation. I think she had to call the exterminators, twice to get rid of them. Turns out her neighbor was a hoarder and brought them home with him and the bugs made there way into her condo as well as other hat shared an adjoining wall. I had another friend who unknowingly brought them home with her after spending a weekend at a cabin. Be careful everyone, especially if it's an upholstered piece, it very well could be infested with those suckers (literally) and they're not easy to get rid of.

Apr 30, 09 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

One of my friends posted a link to a fake BBC article about how the swine flu had mutated in London into a zombie flu that caused the deceased to come back to life two hours after they died. It was fake but it combined elements of a real swine flu article, and it took me about 60 seconds to figure out that it was fake, and in that 60 seconds, I really thought we were all goners!

Apr 30, 09 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I'm sorry DubK but that is probably the funniest things I've heard all day.

Apr 30, 09 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Went to a funeral today and afterward stopped into to see my niece's kids. Four of the most awesomest kids. Then I twisted my ankle playing Strutter on Guitar Hero.

May 1, 09 12:12 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

this is amazing,, do you guys know you could change your facebook language to pirate english???

scroll down to the end of the page, and change english US to english pirate!!

May 1, 09 5:11 am  · 
 · 

that is funny archi. either that or it is annoying ;-)

May 1, 09 6:40 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Ineteresting. I actually switched mine to German a few weeks ago. I might have to try out that Pirate English though. Sounds fun.

All I have to say is TGIF!!!!

May 1, 09 8:25 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Sorry, Melt.

Anybody know what WI is like in early to mid october?

May 1, 09 9:29 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

SH - what part of WI? There's a big range of temps from north to south... the southern part can be extremely nice around that time of year (50-60s - nice crisp fall days - great foliage) - the north (waaay up past green bay) they've already got their first frost.

IMO - that's the nicest time of year in the upper midwest (and the northeast). October is my favorite month - it's the transition from summer to winter - the time when the apples and the squash are at their peak... when donuts and cider suddenly become very appealing. When you feel like taking long walks during the day in the cool air, and in the evenings you want to put on some tea and read a book...

October is why I could never move someplace warm.

May 1, 09 10:16 am  · 
 · 

****melt - normal guys think you are pretty fantastic too. I used to be like being hit on, until recently whilst out with the missus (hand holding and all) I was hit on by the musician we just watched perform. He was quite brazen and then days later he contacted me on facebook - talk about pushy

oh and I'm in Cleveland

May 1, 09 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

My thoughts exactly about October... It's by far my favorite time of the year as well, for all the same reasons. I love the smell of autumn leaves during the day, and a campfire or wood-burning fireplace in the evening. You won't find me pining homesick for Asheville, North Carolina very often (I only lived there for 2 years and generally hated it at the time), but the mountains of western North Carolina would be my ideal place to spend a couple weeks in October.

I second ****melt's TGIF sentiment... I'm glad this week is almost over, and that I have relatively few obligations this weekend.

May 1, 09 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Over at UrbanOhio.com, there are some recent pics of Naptown here, here, and here that some TC regulars might be interested in. They're mostly of downtown and Lockerbie Square... I like the brick sidewalks.

May 1, 09 10:39 am  · 
 · 

TGIF!!!!
And i got a little drunk last night with my sweetie.. As she just finished her semester.

May 1, 09 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wait, techno, HE? Wow. Thats crazy!

And I'm talking about Elkhart Lake...I dont know if its north south or inbetween.

May 1, 09 11:08 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

What would you think if this comercial came on YOUR tv? For the record, its one of the Carolina's.

May 1, 09 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I think it's funny that people are just now discovering Pirate English on Facebook. I thought this meme got out a year ago....maybe that was before everyone else signed on....

May 1, 09 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

No biggie SH, I'm just saying.

October IS indeed an awesome month. Not too hot, not too cold. Cider mills are open... college football (though crazily enough I haven't watched it in years)

Atechno - is the missus feeling any better? I hope so.

May 1, 09 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

****melt she's doing much better - thanks for asking.

May 1, 09 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

nothing scares me more than walking the exhibitor floor at an AIA convention. wish me luck as i back out.

oh. Single Speed Design from Boston kicks and Jinhee Park is really nice to talk to.

flight was fun, except for the nearly crashing part.

May 1, 09 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Slow afternoon here... I'm mostly done with my stuff for the day, so I'm basically counting down the minutes until it's time to leave.

We've got a thunderstorm in NYC right now... I wish I had a big front porch so that I could sit out there with a beer and watch it.

May 1, 09 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, the lightning just crashed our file server, but I can still get online.... Good times.

May 1, 09 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Dangit, I picked up the remote yesterday, and it didnt work. Logically, the batteries were dead from abram playing with it (I know, we dont actually let him), but when I changed the batteries, the new ones didnt work either, and the remote was oozing. So I let it dry out, and that didnt work. So I have to order a new one. Bah.

May 1, 09 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I'm thinking about expanding my office. That way I wouldn't have to work so many long hours. It sounds crazy in these odd times but I have always been know to listen to a different drummer. Think I will go find some stimulus money at my local bank.

May 1, 09 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

snook, would you like a freelance/contract helper?

May 1, 09 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

buy a universal remote - probably ALOT cheaper and works just as well.

May 1, 09 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Just got home from my annual trip to the local civic garden center's plant sale. As usual it rained cats and dogs. But I am now home with three heirloom tomato plants (I don't have a lot of sun), some basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary, astilbe and daylilies. Tomorrow I may go "hunting" for some Irish and scotch moss, but as it's supposed to rain I may, in fact, wait until next weekend. I've also decided I'm going to get myself an azalea (I know the perfect shady and acidic location). Now if only I had room for some lilac trees.

le sigh

May 1, 09 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Living in Gin: I saw this sign for a BBQ Joint in Cincinnati and thought of you. Aparrently the City Fathers are upset about the Busty Lady Sign. HE did have her chained to a power pole for awhile.

http://www.rep-am.com/content/articles/2009/05/02/news/doc49fb0c3f5c320723357980.jpg

May 2, 09 7:59 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

one more shot at this: Just for Living in Gin

May 2, 09 8:07 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

October is the single best time of the entire year to go to Wisconsin. May is the second best.

May 2, 09 10:53 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

vado : trip to the dunes today!

maybe one of these weekends i'll make a little naptown trip, check out the sights and maybe have lunch with you and lb? would that be nice?

May 2, 09 10:54 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

that'd be awesome except i don't know of any reason to come here other than the lunch.

May 2, 09 10:59 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

lunch yesterday turned into and eight hour long drinking binge...even for me that's a bit unusual. caused me to go tobed early...but i'm still alive

May 2, 09 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Aaron Plewke

hi everybody,

Just wanted to share some exciting news. After 2 years in NY the GF and I will be moving to the Midwest soon. We will be both be attending graduate school at Washington University in St. Louis, where I plan to pursue a dual Master of Architecture / Master of Urban Design degree.

Of course it was a tough decision to leave the Northeast after only 2 years here, especially since we were both also accepted to Yale and UPenn (and we both love Philly, plus her father is a PennDesign alum from the Kahn days), but after visiting the schools and deliberating for a few weeks, WashU was the clear front runner for the reasons that matter most to us.

Hopefully this new proximity to some of you means we'll meet in person at some point. We're already looking forward to tentative STL visits from Nam and Phil (architphil). Plus, the GF has some family in Kentucky, and I was born in and have a lot of family in Chicago, so we plan on exploring the region over the next few years...and we'll probably stay in the Midwest after graduation to work for a while.

In other news, a friend (who we first met at Postopolis 2yrs ago through John Jourden) put together a team (including the GF and I) and submitted a proposal to this quasi-competition: http://www.theputtinglot.org/
In short: Each hole will be designed by a different group of artists or architects around themes of urban sustainability.

We found out our proposal was accepted, so we're meeting tonight to do some planning, and will be fabricating components and building our own mini golf hole in our spare time over the next few weeks! The Putting Lot, a 9 hole mini golf course with additional amenities, opens on May 30.

So while I haven't commented here or elsewhere on the 'nect in a while, I have been a full fledged lurker and have enjoyed keeping up with everybody's adventures.

-AP

May 2, 09 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: