Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

snook_dude

Hope LIG....is enjoying his break from the City!

Apr 19, 09 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

*M, I jumped the gun and already have lettuce and bok choy sprouts out in the yard. the peas and fava beans are still deciding if this is the right time. last frost is late may, so thats when tomatoes and peppers go in. the Okra and radichio will have to wait till june.

Apr 19, 09 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

Hey all,
Vice is back in Baghdad

Also, i made 160 last night, working.

Apr 19, 09 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

im falling for audrey hepburn,, all over again,,, :S

Apr 19, 09 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

WonderK,, shouldnt u see a doctor by now?

Apr 19, 09 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

fays, I did see a doctor. They numbed up the toe and took part of the nail off. It's healing now. Thanks for your concern though. :o)

It's hot today in LA but I can't really do anything....I've got too much to do, all on my computer. Oh well, I'm not really feeling like dealing with people anyway so it's probably better that way.

Apr 19, 09 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I had a nice time outside the city on Saturday... I picked up the rental car at around noon, and took the Saw Mill River Parkway and Taconic Parkway up the east side of the Hudson River to the Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge. After crossing over, I made my way through Saugarties and Palenville to Catskills State Park. Highway 23A is a steep, windy road that heads up through a dramatic gorge that wouldn't be out of place in the Oregon Cascades.

I pulled over at the trailhead to Kaaterskill Falls and hiked the half-mile trail to the base of the falls. While fairly short, the steepness of the trail and the rocky terrain made it one of the more brutal hikes I've taken on either coast. (I've noticed that many Northeastern hiking trails tend to be fairly trashy and head straight up the side of a steep hill, while the trails I hiked in the Northwest tend to ease you up a hill through a series of switchbacks.) Probably doesn't help that I'm completely out of shape and that's it's been months since I've walked on something that isn't made of asphalt or concrete.

Anyway, here's the 260-foot waterfall, the tallest in New York State:

(The photo is from Wikipedia; I took a couple photos myself, but the light wasn't as good, and there aren't any leaves on the trees yet.)

On the way back, I drove the long way around through the Cascades, passing through a series of some quaint and not-so-quaint small towns and hamlets. Woodstock was particularly interesting; the whole town is like one giant head shop, and I saw a couple people wandering around who appeared to have been "wandering" around town since 1969. It's sort of like a hyper-condensed version of Eugene, Oregon.

On the way back, I came back down the west side of the Hudson on Highways 32 and 17, passing through Kingston, New Paltz, etc. before eventually finding myself driving through the suburban wastelands of New Jersey. I was able to stop in IKEA and pick up a new dresser as planned, and then came back into the city via the George Washington Bridge.

Overall it was a good day... I need to make a point to do something like this much more often. The scenery north of NYC is quite beautiful, and (at least depending on which route you take) it's amazing how it transitions from urban to almost-rural within a very short distance. Compare to Chicagoland, where you have to drive through almost 40 miles of suburban sprawl before you get anywhere that even resembles "rural", and even then you're out in the middle of cornfields rather than mountains and forests.

Anyway, I hope everybody else had a good weekend... Monday approaches.

Apr 19, 09 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

guess you never went to the indiana dunes state park.

Apr 19, 09 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

You should go up to Cooperstown next time, Gin. Ask someone there how to get to the trailhead for Star Field, it's a lovely hike overlooking Lake Oneonta. And you can walk with all the baseball buffs through the adorable Main Street.

Apr 19, 09 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Vado - I think I've been to those dunes... or maybe it was in Michigan. Are there dunes in Michigan. I was really young (perhaps 4, 5 or 6) but I remember we kept walking up them and I kept expecting to see the lake. I have this vague memory of it being near, but I never was able to see it. Weird how the memory works.

Apr 19, 09 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

That sounds like Sleeping Bear Dunes in Northern Michigan, melt.

I'm doing a mini-spa thing at home tonight - coloring, pedicuring, tweezing, moisturizing, exfoliating, etc. Gifting myself a little girl time. Ruining the spa ambience, however, are two things: the house smells like bacon, and I have The Theme from Rocky running through my head.

Apr 19, 09 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I've been to the Indiana Dunes a few times... One of my favorite drives from Chicago was along US 20 through northern Indiana and into Michigan. The dunes, along with Starved Rock in the other direction, are nice road trip destinations if you live in Chicago, but they're the exception rather than the norm.

Apr 19, 09 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I was about to come on here and ask for good daytrips from Chicago. I am feeling trapped on an island of concrete. I had a car reservation for the weekend but cancelled it in favor of deployment at a choicier, more green time... so everybody brainstorm for me, and in a few weeks I'll take up some lucky TCer's advice! You will win a postcard!

I would like:

1) hills (non-negotiable)
2) green-ness and flowers (non-negotiable)
3) variety of plantings
4) possibly something to do. a nice walk? a horse-ride? I don't care as long as it doesn't involve boating.

Any ideas?

Apr 19, 09 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Saugatuck, Michigan would fit the bill pretty nicely... Madison, Wisconsin is worth a trip as well.

Apr 19, 09 10:22 pm  · 
 · 

fays,
End of semester? Or big deadline for work?

Apr 19, 09 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

big deadline of work,, hey its almost 24 hours,, and im almost going home to sleep! yaay!

Apr 19, 09 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Is there a thread for people who are graduating who don't have jobs? And can't find any? Is it time to start one and really scare the people on the lay-offs thread?

Apr 20, 09 1:01 am  · 
 · 

spent a wonderful day at the track yesterday, dressed up, drinking way too much bourbon, imbibing burgoo, and betting on horses (but not cashing tickets). it rained all day, it was cold, but we had a blast!

Apr 20, 09 8:09 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

wow, i'm surprised to learn that taughannock falls near lake cayuga (close to cornell, ithaca, etc.) is the tallest in new york. after double checking that stats, it's only 215 ft.

sleeping bear dunes in michigan are awesome. i've spent a lot of time there. in fact, the entire west coast of michigan is awesome. i once took an 8 hour walk along the beach north of ludington (4 hours each way) and didn't see anybody. was during july and was great for my tan.

i don't remember much from suagatuck. further north, pentwater was a nice little beach town. although benton harbor sounds attractive, it's not at all what one would expect based on it's name. generally, though anything on the left coast of mi is worth checking out.

Apr 20, 09 9:02 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

oops...is not the tallest...

Apr 20, 09 9:03 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Enjoyed the weekend here. Spent Saturday working without the phone ringing and had a late afternoon client meeting. It went well then went for a beer and wine with the mrs...Chinese take-out. Sunday, took the mrs shopping and I went to the bookstore for a little library time. Then came home and puttzed in the yard. I put in a masonry brick edging along the perimeter of our front yard tulip bed. The tulips should be blooming in a couple of weeks as the daffy's are currently blooming. I'm so glad Spring is here. The soft rain of last night even smelled like spring rain. So off to a busy week of work.

Apr 20, 09 9:08 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

LIG....I would have suggested a quick cup of tea at the Mohonk Mountian Resort in New Paltz had I known you were headed up the Hudson. Oh well, guess you will have to check it out next time....and ya save up lots of money if you want to spend the night.

Apr 20, 09 9:31 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Taughannock Falls is apparently the tallest single-drop waterfall in the Northeast at 215 feet, while two-tier Kaaterskill Falls is the tallest waterfall overall in New York State. I think some waterfalls up in New Hampshire are even taller, but they all consist of multiple segments.

Apr 20, 09 10:30 am  · 
 · 

Hi all
Steven what is "burgoo"?

Apr 20, 09 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I just sent an email to a college about a dregree is physical therapist assistant. We will see what happens.

Apr 20, 09 11:17 am  · 
 · 

kentucky's own stew - not a gumbo or a brunswick or a chowder or a chili - burgoo is a stew with a tangy spice to it, often made with barbequed meats, lima beans, corn, etc (whatever somebody decides, really). similar to gumbo, it's usually make-or-break based on the base.

wikipedia, slightly at odds with my understanding of burgoo, but not too far divergent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgoo

most importantly - it's the perfect thing to hold in your hands and eat while standing (slightly tipsy) by the horse track on a chilly rainy day!

Apr 20, 09 11:30 am  · 
 · 

since 'thunder over louisville' (opening festivities for the derby festival) happened this weekend, it may be time to drag up the derby time! thread again.

Apr 20, 09 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Good luck, SH.

There may be some relief in sight for the noise/crime issues on the street behind my building... Apparently most of the problems are centered around a nightclub on the block that has a long history of noise complaints and gang activity, and a special community board meeting has been called for Wednesday evening regarding the problems with this place. I'm thinking it will be worth my while to show up and make my voice heard.

Funny thing is, I came across a rental listing for an apartment in a building further up the block on my street, in a much quieter part of the neighborhood... The apartment is significantly larger than mine, it faces a steep wooded hillside, and is $200 less per month than what I'm paying now. If I had enough money saved up for the security deposit and if it didn't involve breaking my lease, I'd grab that apartment in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I'll have to pass on it, but I'll keep my eye open for similar listings this summer when my lease is up. I think I could deal with NYC a lot better if I had a quieter apartment and if I can make a point to get away from the city more often like I did on Saturday.

Apr 20, 09 11:35 am  · 
 · 

hope that works for you sh. my step mother and 2 of my cousins are nurses, and are never ever short of work for very good pay. i know it isn't the same thing, but healthcare in general is a safe bet for employment for the next few decades at least.

Apr 20, 09 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

So, I started a thread. How the soon-to-be graduating class might (or might not) impact the job market. Probably doesn't mean much to many of you, but FYI.

Apr 20, 09 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I'm standing by for a phone interview for a gig that would be a big step up the management chain. I'm ready to the responsibilities, but I'll find out if they are willing for somebody to grow into the spot or do they really want a proven talent?

Of course, this would screw up my teaching gig, but if they offer me 2x the dough, it will be hard to say no.

Apr 20, 09 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

DubK, I'm sorry to use your nickname in inappropriate circumstances - I'm just so used to calling you that!

Apr 20, 09 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Well it seems that in order to be a PTA, I will have to be accepted, and then go through 2 years of schooling, ect. But the deadline was april 1st, so I guess that means I'd have to wait another year.

I don't know what I'm going to do.

Apr 20, 09 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

tk, let me know if you have any scraps to throw me, LOL.

liberty bell, it's OK, mainly I just worry about being able to Google my name and tie it to inappropriate material. So use of the nickname isn't a big deal.

Sarah, I don't know what I'm going to do either. le sigh.

I suppose now might be a good time to ask you guys to weigh in on a question that is fast approaching. I am now bracing for "Plan B", which is to put my stuff in storage and go stay with WonderMan in Hawaii and try to take my exams. My first instinct is to get out ASAP; tell my roommate I'm out by the end of May, and not waste another month's worth of rent (since it's quite a bit of money). But out of respect for my roommate and my best friend, who is just going to flip when she realizes I'm trying to leave so soon, I'm tempted to stay through June. Then again, my boss at my part-time job is offering to pay me for 2 weeks worth of work before I graduate, so I can work through the end of May, since I technically won't be employed as soon as I graduate. It's so nice but even two full weeks of work won't totally offset the month of rent. BUT if I keep working, I won't have as much time to move my stuff.

Any thoughts? Am I making sense? Sheesh.

Apr 20, 09 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

beta[port]

Word Of The Day|

[b]your[self]

Don't change for anyone or any job. Accept your passion, be the world you want to see, be aggressive - b-e aggressive, b-e- a-g-g-r-e-s-s-i-v-e!

You may not succeed the first time around, you may not get it the second time or the third, but come hell or high water you will. It's tiring, painful, and soul-sucking to become something you're not, let me save you the pain - both the mental and the inevitable physical. If you are clamped to the third rail of trying to that thing you're not, then let go, it's less painful being you than being someone else.

"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain." -Karl Marx

Apr 20, 09 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

is that a fortune cookie, beta or some kind of mantra to get stoned by?

good luck TK, that is great news.

i wish i had answers for you WK. running to wonderman because it is least painful of options doesn't sound so nice to me, personally. you should go because you want to not because its convenient - advice by the way from a good solid decade of very poor choices made in the overseas relationship department. i made every mistake possible, i think, in that regard, before i shaped up. but if that ain't the case then why not? being mobile is i think part of the new world order.

i feel for you though. we are facing some choices here as well. not so dire, but nothing wants to be clear cut no matter how much i squint my beady eyes.

the curse of interesting times, as they say.

Apr 20, 09 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

DubK - Here are my random thoughts about your Plan B. While I think it's excellent that you, WonderMan and WonderMan's dog will be able to spend time together, my one big concern is this... Will being in Hawaii hinder your job search in the lower 48? I know Hawaii really isn't your ideal location so I'd hate for you to end up feeling "stuck" there. Other than that, why the hell not... if you stay long enough I may be forced to visit :o)

Not sure what to tell you about the actual moving situation. I'm almost leaning toward leaving by the end of May but based purely on what sounds like you not being able to afford another month's rent. Is there any way to get out of the apt by the end of May and than perhaps spend a week or two more with the BFF? Perhaps then it would make you leaving slightly easier.

Apr 20, 09 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

dubberK, try plan P, hit the teaching circuit. you might land someplace you never expected, but there is a huge shortage of bight young deep green profs in the middle and edges of the u.s. there is still a chance to line up an adjunct gig for next fall so start polishing your cv and firing it of asap.

also, don't stop working on your website/thesis/grants - maybe you can make a book out of it.

---

the phone call went well. Now I'll wait to see if I make the cut and get to visit big sur...

Apr 20, 09 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Ich druecke dir die Daumen TK. In other words I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya.

I like your idea for DubK actually.

Apr 20, 09 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Dubbers, I'm a romantic, I say run to wonderman and see what happens.

Hows that for confusing you?

Apr 20, 09 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

I am very relaxed. Got a massage today.

WK I think you should get married and have a baby. Now's the time then when the kid is old enough where you are tired of it you can go back to work.

Apr 20, 09 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

does anyone know braille WELL enough to tell me how to put RIGHTLY the following; 476#

?

Apr 20, 09 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Holy fuck... I just heard a noise outside that sounded like a truck bomb going off. The building literally shook. Turned out it was a close lightning strike... I had the blinds closed and I hadn't checked the weather, so I had no idea that a big thunderstorm was upon us until just now.

Apr 20, 09 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

LiG unplug the computer!!!

Apr 20, 09 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sarah, do you *have* to start bringing home a paycheck anytime soon? You're in a doubly difficult position with having a new child - but if you can take the time to stay home now it seems like there's no need to come up with your plan b for a few years....

And speaking of plan b, DubK, your situation is rough too. tk might have a good idea about teaching. Maybe if you stay in your apartment the exrta month you can plan your next move? I guess I'd suggest that even at a highish rent, buying yourself a month to think, prepare, and not take on a karmic load of disappointing your roommate and friend might be a bargain.

tk, good luck with the job prospect!

Apr 20, 09 11:17 pm  · 
 · 

What about teaching in Hawaii, WonderK?

Also, anyone want to do a Editor's Picks in the upcoming week or two?

Apr 20, 09 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Oh I'm sorry. In my rambling I wasn't so clear. The choice wasn't between if I should or should not move to Hawaii and in w/ WonderMan ... the choice was when to leave, and how. I have become very disillusioned with Los Angeles and have been wanting to get out for a while now. Plus, frankly, I only have enough money to pay my outlandish rent for a couple more months (one month of my rent could pay for about 3-4 months of food). If I go there, at least I can start taking my exams, and work on my web site, while I continue to look for jobs. Sure it will be expensive, but maybe I'll just couch surf for the next 6 months!

Ah, it's almost liberating, being this educated and simultaneously this poor....

What all of this boils down to is, no matter how much of a "WonderWoman" I might be, and no matter how hard I look or how many cool people I meet, I have to face reality that there simply are no jobs right now. :o/

Apr 20, 09 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yeah teaching is a good option. And I suspect I'll drop in on U of H when I'm down there. I've been looking in on the ACSA's job postings, but those are slim pickin' just like everywhere else....

Apr 21, 09 12:19 am  · 
 · 

sorry abt misunderstanding,wk.

how is hawaii anyway? not good place to work as architect?

teaching is actually a great idea. if you can find a position i think you would be a brilliant teacher.

highly educated and poor describe me too. what the fcuk, eh?

Apr 21, 09 2:47 am  · 
 · 
****melt

UGH!!! My project was just put on hold AGAIN. Looks like July at the earliest. We are their architect though.

bangs ahead against wall

Apr 21, 09 8:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: