Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

WonderK

Urgh. I am experiencing a mental block in writing a portion of my thesis. Conclusions. This is supposed to be the easiest part. Urrrrgh.

Feb 24, 09 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

writing dissertation was like pulling teeth for me, WK. fieldwork was easier, though also tedious. but i learned how many pages i could write in a day exactly.

good luck archi, and sarah.

my hair was like that in the 70's. seems to be going that way now too. which is great cuz all i need is a bowl and scissors to maintain effect.

Feb 24, 09 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

WK you amaze me, the SMART four gets around 41 mpg highway and you'd be loosing about 10 more with the hayabusa engine, probably a little more with the weight distribution and wouldn't exactly be green. But, and most importantly would you let me drive it when I come to visit?

Feb 24, 09 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
copper_top

shameless plug: Opinions wanted

Feb 24, 09 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Thanks vado - i had successfully replaced with the Brandi Carlisle song, but now it's back.

Feb 24, 09 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

techno, it's hilarious isn't it? Actually it annoys me that the Smart gets such poor gas mileage for a car of its size, so I think the plan is to have a car for driving, like a Honda Fit, and a car for donuts, like the SMART + hayabusa. Then again, this is all according to WonderMan, and according to him I am also designing a giant statue in his likeness that shoots lasers out of its eyes. :o)

BTW, I forgot to tell you, Archinect Paul is all about the Archinect cave. Now all we need is capital! Anybody have $300,000 lying around?

Feb 24, 09 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

The Smart Car is much Large!

Feb 25, 09 12:27 am  · 
 · 
****melt

DubK - I wanna a car like that so I can do eternal donuts. Really stupid question, but what actually is a hayabusa engine?

I always thought conclusions were actually hardest to write. I think it's because by that point I pretty much was out of mental energy.

Feb 25, 09 8:30 am  · 
 · 

I agree with melt,
Conclusions were always the hardest part for me. From my undergraduate honors thesis to graduate thesis to course papers.
I never felt as if was punching out strongly enough. Just reiterating already made points.

Feb 25, 09 9:03 am  · 
 · 

a laser shooting Wonderman yep can see it now. ****melt the Hayabusa is a motorcycle made by suzuki that has held the record "fastest production bike" several years running. Remarkable about them is the design and shape of the bikes as they sit squat really close to the ground and multiple curves in a variety of supposedly aerodynamic paths.

I'm here baking brownies for the missus whose been off at work since yesterday morning. Only problem is that the recipe called for 1/4 oil and because I focussed on something else used 1/4 milk. For the baking inclined what does it mean?

I don't profess to know my way around an oven, my skillz are on top of the stuff

Feb 25, 09 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Techno, you omitted the oil all together? Fats are used to coat flour proteins and prevent gluten formation, which will cause something to have less 'spongy-ness' since gluten is what holds the air bubbles in place while baking, creating the desired crumb. Lots of gluten and air bubbles creates things like cibatta. Chances are your brownies will simply lack the gooey, chewiness characteristic of brownies. They will be more cake like, I'd think.

Oh, and I was also going to say that I know the girl that holds the land speed record on a motorcycle. Yep, thats right, its a GIRL!

Feb 25, 09 11:14 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Here she is.
Feb 25, 09 11:16 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

I was expecting a letter in the mail and finally after almost four months of waiting I called NCARB to find out what was holding up the works. "Oh you need to call your state" they said. Which I did. "Oh I emailed you the results on February 3rd(the day the music died). Well, either I didn't get it or I just deleted it. So, she emailed me the results again and with fingers crossed I opened the pdf,
Building Design and Construction Systems-- Pass!
Schematic Design-- Pass!

Feb 25, 09 11:53 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Woo-hoo vado!!! How many more do you have to take.

I've decided to go home at lunch and pick up the scooter. It's a little colder than I'd like but tomorrow and Friday it's supposed to rain. Gotta run.

Feb 25, 09 11:58 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

thanks! five to go.

Feb 25, 09 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah Vado!
SH that is too cool. Now that is a woman.... What is up with her accent though i couldn't place it?

Archi. I concure. Although obvsiouly Sarah has all the lingo down, i would suspect (based on my limited baking knowledge) that your brownie will be more cake than goo.

Feb 25, 09 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Nam, we all think her voice is a little strange too. I dont know where shes from, but she is the long time girlfriend of a guy Husband does work for. She's very friendly. She busted herself up pretty good once.

Feb 25, 09 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Sarah, are you a food scientist?!? Gluten and flour proteins and what not? Fascinating.

Also she's pretty cute. Good for her.

Congrats vado!

Feb 25, 09 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Jindaldouche

In his rebuttal, Jindal said:

"Today in Washington, some are promising that government will rescue us from the economic storms raging all around us.

Those of us who lived through Hurricane Katrina -- we have our doubts."

gee Mista Guvnr, me thought it was the Federal Government inaction that fucked up N.O. during Katrina, but maybe that's me...

Aside from the unintentional indictment of his own party, as George Bush was at the helm of state when it hit the rocks in New Orleans, one has to ask:

When the state has established conditions that deregulate the marketplace and allow such conditions to occur that lead the major financial institutions of this country to ruin, does the same government not have the responsibility, really the obligation, to not only re-regulate free enterprise, but to help put it back on a responsible footing that does not crush the lives of the citizens it is charged to protect and serve?

Feb 25, 09 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

WK, I read some food science in my spare time...I love Shirley - she's the old lady on Good Eats some times. She's great.

And this just in..... Last Friday, my previous employer laid off 5 more people, two of which had been there forever - a draftsman and the accountant. One of the others I hated, and really he shouldve been let go before me - he was a fat slacker, so I'm strangly vindicated by his lay-off. What sucks is that he was one of those Texas Tech grads that got a Masters of Arch without really doing the work, ect. I am smarter, and more qualified than he is, but on paper he looks better. He better not get employment before me!

Feb 25, 09 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Jindal's speech was a big heaping pile of FAIL. It was like watching an incontinent old man playing a one-string ukulele on stage after a Jimmy Hendrix concert.

I don't see how the GOP can be considered anything but a bunch of nihilists at this point. They don't have any ideas of their own, except to constantly tell us what America can't do. They're like arsonists who set the house on fire, and are now trying to prevent the firefighters from putting out the blaze. Why? Presumably so they can then say, "Ha! We told you your efforts to extinguish the fire would fail!" Or, alternately, enough of them believe in the literal Rapture that they're trying to do everything they can to bring it on. Either scenario is pretty scary.

Sad part is, I think we really need an intellectually honest conservative opposition in order to keep the Dems honest. I don't see that happening anything soon, though.

Feb 25, 09 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

what Jindal forgot, was that the ACE built the levees that have allowed NOLA to exist for the last 100years or more- guess one screw-up and the corruption of other folks is enough to kill all faith in a the government. Jindal also didn't mention that torture is still sanctioned in Louisiana.

I found Jindal's entire speech to be very patronizing and hypocritical. If there is no use for government at any level - what is he doing as a politician???

Bring on the Dude!

Feb 25, 09 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you want a toe. i can get you a toe.

Feb 25, 09 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

LiG, love that picture.

Feb 25, 09 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

sorry to have been so absent lately. and thanks lb for your wildly generous and completely unreliable assessment of my posts here.

so...

i have hardly had time to think lately.

and archinect requires thinking for me (most of the time).

and facebook, um, doesn't require much thinking....

we've got a school project going out for bid next week. i spent the last week pulling the specs together and i just yesterday started checking through the documents after having left them alone for a week or so - and they are in shambles! ack!

so now i'm bleeding all over them. (yes, with a red pen and, yes, on a paper copy. old school.)

Feb 25, 09 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

that negative wishing is bad kharma, sarah.

at texas tech you can get a master of architecture without working hard?

Feb 25, 09 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

pretty much seems that way, jump. Its a 5-6 year program, and they dont seem to have any more classes/hours than the typical 5 yr program. From the people I have met, TT doesn't seem to push design, or history, or anything. They dont read treatises, they dont learn about precedents, ect. I realise you get out of a program what you put into it, but to think the guy has a masters and cant tell me the difference between a roman and greek architecture, or the fact that he chose architecture because he didn't like to read, well, it really chaps my hide.

Steven, glad you're back. I'm going to send you an email.

Feb 25, 09 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

thats a pity sarah, though i don't believe ability to distinguish between greek and roman architecture is an indication of anything important. my mentor here in japan couldn't do it. mostly because he never went to university. he runs own office with 15 architects plus support staff and has been doing so for about 30 years now. he is also an amazing individual and a pretty good architect (awards etc by the box full to prove it).

i don't think he likes to read either. which is fair enough. what would the world be if we were all the same...boring, i say. boring!

welcome back steven! is there any other way to do said bleeding?

Feb 25, 09 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Speaking of brownies, not making them with oil is one thing, but how about making them with brownie mix, oil, water and...NO eggs? What will happen then? Stay tuned, because my vegan roommate did just that and they are in the oven now. I told her she should use applesauce for binding but she claims she's allergic to it (but she eats apples...huh?). One day I shall make a list of things that she actually does eat and see if I can count them on more than one hand. Obviously, brownies is one.

Feb 25, 09 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

[i]torture is still sanctioned in Louisiana[i/]?

what do you mean, tk?

sarah, your food science know-how makes me happy! :-) trying to learn more about that stuff myself. i love it. good eats is like my fave show. alton brown is a winner in my book.

have you read julia child's books?

Feb 26, 09 12:32 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

the vegans i have known in my life have been uniformly the worst eaters i've known. very poor nutrition unless you really pay attention to it, and not one that i've known ever did. pretty sad.

Feb 26, 09 12:34 am  · 
 · 

re: bleeding. maybe not, jump. but i hear there's a lot less redlining happening as part of the review process these days. reviewing happening on-screen via pdfs, messing around in files, etc. not for me. i gotta see the whole sheet, stapled into the whole set, or i don't think i'm understanding the whole picture.

Feb 26, 09 7:59 am  · 
 · 
****melt

SW- re: paper redlines. I completely agree. I catch a lot more mistakes that way.

DubK - how did your borwnies turn out?

Feb 26, 09 8:25 am  · 
 · 

Hey Steven,
Welcome. Having experience with neither but being a bit of an old school fetishist i think i would go the paper route myself.

Manta that is very true about many vegans and vegetarians that i have known over yers and I am one (a vege not vegan). I must say though that for me it ha sonly made me more aware of how to eat healthy and balanced diet. Maybe it has something to do with my folks and the way they raised me??

As for the torture thing i think myabe he was makign a comment abotu Jindal's enthusiastic past participation in excorcism(s)...?

Feb 26, 09 8:36 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Dubbers, without pulling out the book, I'm going to say that leaving out eggs would again leave you with a gooey mess. Eggs contribute fat, and even more importantly, lecithin. They also attribute to rise. Lecithin is an emulsifier, and links fat to water, which without it, you know, doesnt mix. Lecithin is what makes mayo work. If youve ever seen an unemulsified mayo, it looks pretty gross - white creamy stuff and a yellow/orange oil. Yuck. SInce eggs would also contribute some water, I think that to properly replace them you'd need to up the fat and water in the recipe. I sometimes wonder if vegans are really not just picky eaters who've chosen a label so people wont question them.

Jump, I knew even as I typed it that the greek/roman thing wasnt a good example...I guess you just have to meet the guy. I remember more from my history classes than most, and I get that, but seems he should know something since he did have a western education. He just doesnt care, and doesnt have that passion. He was always more passioinate about the NRA and his politics than his profession.

Oh, can you guys keep a secret? Theres a ___fair coming up, and I plan to go. Any tips on what to/not to do? I will take 20 resumes, and research the vendors - and plan to stay all day, even if I finish before times up.

And its suppose to be 85 degrees today. Take that Minnesotta!

Feb 26, 09 9:36 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

manta-

considering that Louisiana has the death penalty, uses chain-gangs, doesn't provide basic services to many of it's citizens, and teaches creationism, I'd say that those are all forms of torture. Now can we go back to discussing happy things, like food?

Alton Brown rocks (but I don't know if I'd eat at one of his restaurants- I'd just want to have him as a guest).

Feb 26, 09 10:00 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

steven - I know you are in the midwest somewhere, otherwise I'd offer my services to help whip that set into good shape for a low fee... heck, i'd work for coffee and company for a few days just because I need something to do other than look for work.

I'm also with you on redlines... I have trouble working on projects without scheduled check sets. It's really hard for me to see what's missing if I don't have a full set in front of me - and I'm supposed to be part of the computer generation.

Feb 26, 09 10:01 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

red lining just doesn't seem as thorough unless you are slaving over a printed copy with a red or green pen. Yes if you are really old school you have both - green is for "go," take-offs, and specs.

It's absolutely grey here today in Cleveland and I woke up sniffly. Last few days before I head home and begin work.

Good luck Sarah, polish up that resume and make sure and bring a copy of your portfolio you never know who you'll run into.

Feb 26, 09 11:07 am  · 
 · 

nah, i'm totally the same toasteroven. i think its a human thing. i really catch more on paper than on computer when it comes to plans.

other things are cool. apart from books i did my entire dissertation for phd on computer, including making use of acrobat's marking-up powers for several hundred articles (closer to a thousand really). the database aspect of computer makes such things work fantastically. i also read all my news online no problem. but somehow i just like to have plans printed out and sitting in front of me. same with cost estimates. something about the flipping between pages i think. is that weird or built in i wonder?

i understand you sarah. you just don't like the guy. which is fair enough. me, i don't mind if an architect is not into the job. i'm kinda a hippy that way.

Feb 26, 09 11:07 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Well Sarah pretty much nailed it....she tried to make the brownies in my muffin tin, so they looked like 12 little cakes that had risen and fallen at some point, even though they never really rose at all. Also they had the consistency of asphalt, and were apparently "crunchy". I know this because my roommate tried them. Not me...they frighten me a bit.

I wish I knew enough about the economy to weigh in on the nationalization debate. As it is the best I can do is pay attention to my stock prices and hope for the best.

I have to go do homework now, since my internet is working again....

Feb 26, 09 11:57 am  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

We still do redlines with full paper sets in my office - and no matter how many times I print, redline, review, correct - something ALWAYS slips by...

Still, can't really 'see' it "in" the screen. I prefer it that way.

Feb 26, 09 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

it's snowing!

Feb 26, 09 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

redline & paper sets are great for needlessly killing trees...and that's why i absolutely love it!

Feb 26, 09 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

the office is closing early, I'm going home.

Feb 26, 09 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

peridotbritches,, you say something ALWAYS slips by,, i kind of believe thats true, but,how much of a problem it is, if a small thing slips by here and there, doesnt it usually get caught before it becomes a big problem?

had anyone experienced a huge problem because something small "slipped" by? like, a HUGE problem?

Feb 26, 09 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

panda....that sounds like a good press question for George Bush.

Feb 26, 09 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

You might also be able to ask Bernie Madoff the same question.

Feb 26, 09 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

panda, in my old office we did a set of CD's and were up to 99% when someone realized you can't specify copper flashings on a cedar shake roof. It wasn't a HUGE deal, and it was caught before it went out the door, but it was a HUGE pain in the ass for the poor PM to change every drawing and the specs at the last minute.

My personal hugest mistake was specifying two windows for a attic conversion to a bedroom. The windows were three-gang units the same width as the other windows in the house - but the existing house had been built before sleeping room egress requirements were in the code (24" width clear min.). I now - still - own two big windows that the lumber yard wouldn't take back. $1,500 mistake. but hopefully I'll use them in another project, or my own house, soon.

Feb 26, 09 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: