Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

b3tadine[sutures]

how about this one, i hear you can have it cheap.

Feb 23, 09 9:06 am  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

Dubs - we'll need to gut that interior. Violently. Maybe a fire - it will be symbolic. Then we can put something a little more...good, in there.

Feb 23, 09 9:08 am  · 
 · 

Good morning all,

LB, yeah we have been dating since right before Christmas. She is actually a long time friend of a friend who I met once or twice. But whn i ran into her before the holidays things just clicked.
It is literally the best relationship I have been in ever... It just feels like there is no fucking around.. It is all serious. Not to say that we don't have fun and laugh. But it just feels real.

She is the person on the left in this pic
link

Hi Orhan,

As for greener pastures. Even though mega cities are the future of the world as more people move from rural to urban I strongly believe that reviving all those "abandoned" Midwestern cities is the future of "smart growth" in this country...

Feb 23, 09 9:37 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

nam, that photo is completely adorable. It made me smile.

I have so dang much to do today! Later all.

Feb 23, 09 9:38 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Well, Abrams big birthday party went fairly well. He wasn't hungry come cake time, and wouldn't make a mess, so Husbands family forced him to eat blue and yellow icing, and make a mess. I felt bad for him. Oh well. He got TONS of stuff. I dont know what we will do with it all. Time to go through and purge some of his old stuff.

Feb 23, 09 10:50 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Interesting Q&A
Feb 23, 09 11:03 am  · 
 · 

Thanks LB
I should note. That man is my friend Tom. Not me.
As an interesting sid enot we will be starting a radio show (either via podcast or communtiy radio) called the Tom and Nam show..
Hopefully soon!

Feb 23, 09 11:16 am  · 
 · 
****melt

beta - I've heard this argument before and it kinda makes sense. Sad really that we're sending all this aid over there for good and it's just helping to expand the corruption. :o(

nam - what's the show going to be about?

Feb 23, 09 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i didn't look at this empty city link but do they talk about the area of a city? these empty cities have spent much of their time incorporating outlying areas. density is only good if your neighbors aren't assholes. i'd rather live in the sticks myself and take walks along arroyos and shoot off my rifle which now i only do on new years eve. fortunately, the city is empty.

Feb 23, 09 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

so i just got my hair cut. it was my first time at this salon and the stylist was ridiculous. very serious and overdramatic. he'd kind of wave his hands aroundreallyquickly and then slooooowly comb the hair back. i'm kind of amazed that i kept a straight face throughout the whole thing.

it's monday...so time to start drinking again.

Feb 23, 09 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

Melt,
Pretty much our random ramblings.
One proposed segmnet is nam news word (which would consist of me defining a new word which i have begunt o use frequently in my life)
A practice i am infamous for..

Feb 23, 09 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

Puddles, that reminds me i need a haircut myself.

Feb 23, 09 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Back in the 80s I read Hammer of the Gods, the UNauthorized biography of Led Zeppelin. One of the things I remember form that book was a description of John Paul Jones comic sensibility: he wasn't the heavy drinker in the group, or the wild womanizer; his humor was more subtle. He was the kind of guy who would say to a roadie "Jimmy (Page) looks tense; what do you think would happen if a firecracker went off near him?"

I think I just tossed a firecracker here. For no good reason other than grins. I wonder what will happen? Maybe nothing.

Feb 23, 09 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
n_

nam, post your podcast link once it's up and running. I'd love to hear it. It's odd to think that I haven't heard your voice before.

Feb 23, 09 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I think the "emptiest cities" survey takes into account apartment and housing vacancy rates, as opposed to population density. Otherwise, Jacksonville, FL would be much higher on the list, even during boom times. Some years ago Jacksonville merged with Duval County, and as a result, is the largest city in the US in terms of land area. You can drive for miles and miles out in the middle of undeveloped pine forests, and still be within the Jax city limits.

Am I the only one who finds it incredibly irritating when a bunch co-workers decide to have a project team meeting six feet away from me, and it's not even my project? This has been going on for over an hour now, and I'm sick of listening to their yapping.

Feb 23, 09 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

LIG - just looked at the link that you posted, which I find quite interesting. I agree the physical attributes of both cities are similar, the culture is not. Like one on the blog mentioned, Portland is "liberal/progressive" while Cincinnati is "conservative/mainstream". While your ideas/notions are commendable, the reality of the situation is that change happens very slowly in this city. I like to equate it to the shifting of the continental plates.

Feb 23, 09 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Ok, so I just finished putting together the MOST ANNOYING thing Abram got for his birthday. Hopefully, after a few months, he will be tired of it, and I can sell it.

one more shot so you can see just how bright this is.

Somebody shoot me, please.

Feb 23, 09 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Oooh melt that's a good analogy. Yeah, the thing is, there already are people in Cincy trying (unsuccessfully) to turn it into Portland. I was part of that until I got frustrated and left. Well, that and I came to realize through 3 miserable job experiences that I'd have to start my own firm to find my definition of a "well-managed" experience. But that's just me...what I really want now, of course, is that cave.

Feb 23, 09 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

Hello Cleveland

hi all hope you are all enjoying your Mondays, even if works sucks at this point in the global economy we have to be thankful for even having one that sucks.

TK there are about 3 licensed landscape architects in the Caribbean and to my knowledge only one of them still practices (up to last week I would of said 2, one was the landscape architect/senior advisor for Stanford's development)

Snook the invitation is open, you could even bring the dogs.

Nam, yes I'm being interviewed by PriceWaterhouse Cooper in the next 10 minutes via telephone. The job is as a project manager, one of the other things I hold qualifications in - but consider it only partial to my role as an architect.

And what is it with the weather, wow. I'm really considering what quality of life can someone have when the weather for more than 5 months out of the year is dangling around zero degrees.

Feb 23, 09 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

That's what I'm afraid of more than anything, that I'll get back there and end up frustrated at how dysfunctional the city is, and run screaming back to NYC or elsewhere. It seems like they've got a half-decent mayor and city government at the moment, but they're constantly being hamstrung by powerful reactionaries at the county and state level.

It wasn't always so... Cincinnati actually had a pretty good track record of progressive civic government from the 1920's up through the 60's, but the years haven't been kind to the city since then.

Feb 23, 09 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

that makes sense there's a ton of boarded up cribs on the near east side here. i should live where it rains more. london or somewheres.

Feb 23, 09 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

Good luck Archi!

Feb 23, 09 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

speaking of disfuckuptional my interview was postponed until 5.30/6. And what's up with the nebulous time

Feb 23, 09 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Is the PWHC position in Cleveland or in Jamaica?

Feb 23, 09 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

LIG, I gotta tell you, I'm sorry but I find your line of reasoning to be rather baffling. Don't you have a job in NYC? And isn't it so secure that you got a holiday bonus? That you told us all about? My point being, why do you want to mess with the security that you've worked so hard to build for yourself? Don't get me wrong, there are many people who would be happy to take your job once you leave it, but why would you voluntarily do so in such a depressed economy? That makes NO sense to me. Unless you're a masochist, in which case, I guess it makes more sense, but then you should DEFINITELY not go to Cincy because they don't tolerate that kind of stuff like they do in NYC.

Feb 23, 09 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not really sure. I found out it supposed to be some joint venture with a municipal company that now has ties in Montserrat. Lol we'll see what happens

Feb 23, 09 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

WK...his name IS living in gin after all...

Feb 23, 09 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

You are too funny Atechno. Good luck.

DubK has a very good point LIG. Perhaps this is something you should take into consideration. How much longer do you have until you finish your bachelor's anyway? I think this should be priority no. 1. I mean how it'll probably be a lot easier to save the ailing Cincinnasty with one.

Feb 23, 09 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, I'm not planning to move back to Cincy anytime soon (unless I involuntarily lose my job and can no longer afford to stay in NYC). If I go back, it would be to do my M.Arch. degree at UC, which would begin in the summer of 2010 at the earliest... And whether I go would be pretty much up to the admissions committee at DAAP. Once I'm done with my M.Arch., where I go from there is anybody's guess, but hopefully the economy would be in better shape by then.

I've got less than a year left on my BA degree... I could probably finish it up in one or two quarters, but I just need to get off my ass and actually do it. I'm hoping to have it done by the end of this summer, so that I can concentrate on putting together my M.Arch. applications in the fall.

Feb 23, 09 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Archi - thanks for the intel. my wife (the beach loving hedonist) is adamantly opposed to going expat on an island - doesn't matter which. But I'm working on opening her mind, and you just gave me more leverage...

that doesn't mean that I can't market my 'scaper skilz or try to corner the market.

Feb 23, 09 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Archi....by this time of the winter....I say IT SUCKS! I could be in Brazil this week if only mrs. b would let me go to Carnival...but there are just to many beautiful naked ladies there...and she knows she would just have to poke my eyes out ....and then I would have to give up Architecture...oh well have to dig out the long johns..

Feb 23, 09 9:14 pm  · 
 · 

it is kind of early days of spring here in tokyo. snowed 1mm once in the last 5 years. i forgot the seasons are unreasonably long in other parts of the world. here we get a taste of winter just enough to enjoy the summer, but not enough to think winter should be illegal.

Feb 24, 09 9:14 am  · 
 · 

well it's a lovely day here in Cleveland, the windows are open and the Erie is melting. Whoo hoo.

And I had a fantastic interview yesterday despite the delay. The offer on the table is about 3x the one I just got. The interviewee is recommending me (+ a few others). Fingers crossed. The best part of it was the accolades about my resume, she described it as both succinct and thorough - good news since I am so anal about my resumes. yeah!

TK depending on the island they won't see her as an expat. Folks in Jamaica, Trinidad or St Lucia would just think she's part of the crowd, because of the diverse population and multiculturalism. Failing which there is always Puerto Rico - how's your Spanish?

Feb 24, 09 11:32 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

no hablo espanol - se tequila y rum.

I'm going to send my resume to price waterhouse (just as long as I don't have to move to cleveland)!

I was asked about this thread:
drool worthy glass fittings

Feb 24, 09 11:53 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

this website is being overrun by idiots.

Feb 24, 09 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Some people are like Slinkies. They're good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Is it just me, or has Archinect been loading very slow for the past few days? It seems to especially get hung up on the doubleclick.net ad server thing.

Feb 24, 09 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

LIG - I actually was just thinking the exact same thing.

Feb 24, 09 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

this website has been overrun by idiots for years now...but i've always prided myself on being a drunken idiot

in other news, i'm heartbroken to hear that crown princess victoria is going to marry someone other than me. no wonder she hasn't been returning my calls. plan b = younger sister madelaine. gotta run.

Feb 24, 09 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

re: idiots - Steven hasn't been posting lately, so the aggregate IQ of the entire site has gone way, way down.

Steven, put on your superhero cape and come back, we need you!

Also, yes, I think the speed of the site has been slow lately.

I'm stressed; I have a LOT to do and have been constantly telling myself this is the better problem to have right now. But I'd love a night of drunken idiocy with puddles instead.

Feb 24, 09 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Puddles....first read: I thought she was marrying a Wrestler...then I thought no wonder Puddles lost out....

Feb 24, 09 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Well, I'm sitting up at Husband's shop waitng for 2pm. Why?

Well..... I screwed up my courage and went down to the firm I was sent to stalk. I found the office, and made my way upstairs only to find the man I was to wait around for was on a site visit. The girls in the office were very nice, and suggested I call back this afernoon to see if he has returned. So I figured I'd wait until 2pm, which seemed like a good time, call, and then go back. I didn't want to drive all the way home, only to drive BACK into town, so here I sit playing receptionist. Maybe if the architecture thing doesn't work out, I can get a job here!

Feb 24, 09 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

BTW - vado I'd just like to thank you. I've had Lola stuck in my head since Friday. Give or take a day or two.

Feb 24, 09 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ah, the myth of my anonymity has been preserved.

Sarah, good job!

I would like to marry a Nordic prince. I mean, who wouldn't? WonderMan has British and Native American ancestors though, and that's fine too. Also although he finally announced to me that he would happily go wherever I got a job, he is also happy to plan what we can do together if I do not, and I admit, it's fun. Like the Smart Car we're going to get so he can replace the engine with a super-fast motorcycle engine and make it do this. Ha.

Feb 24, 09 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

BAH! I called, and he still wasnt in. The receptionist had me leave my name and number. I hope he actually calls back.

Feb 24, 09 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
Feb 24, 09 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

tuna well here's SomethingElse by the kinks that you can have in your head.

*note of cleverness; something else by the kinks is the name of the long playing 33rpm record on which this song originally appeared.

Feb 24, 09 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

has anyone else noticed lately that more 20-something guys are wearing their hair like in that kinks video? I swear, you could walk into any local indie-joint and you'd think it was the mid-60s. however, the bizarre disco-like music they are playing these days will make you truly wonder which decade you are in.

Feb 24, 09 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

TO - we are in the decade of no decade. So much information at our accessing units that we are free to pick and choose how we imitate. The end of tradition is da REEEEEEEmix of social memory as the user sees fit.

And post dat mess up on ya myspaces!

Feb 24, 09 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Good song. Unfortunately it didn't work. ARGH!!!!

Feb 24, 09 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
TryThis!
Feb 24, 09 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: