Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

brian buchalski

i'm still alive...yeah, yeah, yeah

Jun 13, 08 9:01 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

So, prompted by the new IDP rules, and by the let down of the canceled feild trip, I spent yesterday afternoon filling out IDP hours, even though I have yet to enroll. Great News! I've already completed CDs, DD, and Schematic Design! It wasn't so hard to fill it out, and now that Im caught up, its going to be much easier.

I feel very accomplished. Now I just need the money to actually enroll.

Jun 13, 08 9:48 am  · 
 · 

hi all contacting you all from a horrible hell hole called the airport lounge. I'm Antigua waiting for my flight to Jamaica to be called. In front of me is Rocky's liquor Store duty free tobacco & liquors. It is a double height space with a faux roof with can you believe it gingerbread fascia. I really hate that added that's its a fake roof inside a building, then they add gingerbread to it - heightening the distaste.

Jun 13, 08 10:12 am  · 
 · 

Jump..
Congrats!
What non PhD archi-things do you want to be doing?
Anything specific?

Hello all. Happy Fri.
I will be seeing the Wailers tonight....

Jun 13, 08 10:19 am  · 
 · 

here's Rocky!!

Jun 13, 08 10:31 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

"Smirnoff Smirnoff" - is that like "pizza pizza"?

Hang in there techno. Thanks for taking that pic - ridiculous indeed!

Jun 13, 08 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Damn I could use a few of those Smirnoffs at the moment. Meeting went well now I'm racing to get something else done by the end of today. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Commence where you all were.

Jun 13, 08 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

q: how do you leave for two weeks when you're watching over three projects beginning schematic design, $10m under construction, and cds due on another 2wks after you return?

a: faith in your team and a willingness to have it all end in a fiery crash when you return?

Jun 13, 08 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Where are you going, Steven?

Jun 13, 08 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

what do you mean, "see you guys in a few days"? does that mean this colossal US adventure is really going to happen?

Jun 13, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 

lb and i will be teaching an intro to architecture for high school students at kentucky's governors school for the arts.

Jun 13, 08 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Just how do you get involved with that, Steven? I love to teach, and since Community Service is part of the Required IDP hours, I'd love to do something like what you two are doing. How would I go about finding that?

Jun 13, 08 2:43 pm  · 
 · 

maybe ask at the tx arch schools if they know of a similar program in tx? i got involved while i was teaching at univ ky; invited by another instructor.

or just start searching. a quick search shows me that you have this: http://web3.unt.edu/tgs/ ...but no mention of arch.

Jun 13, 08 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

thought i would share this with you all.... i cant stop laughing at it...

Jun 13, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 

haa haa!

Jun 13, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

^^^OMG!!! Your daughters are getting cuter by the day Steven. Looks like they had a lot of fun.

Jun 13, 08 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

: )

Jun 13, 08 4:30 pm  · 
 · 

sarah -

ut arlington has SEED: http://www.uta.edu/public-affairs/pressreleases/page.php?id=2356

Jun 13, 08 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

Steve those picures just made my day, thanks
i cant stop laughing at the adopted thing

im really phillin that

Jun 13, 08 4:45 pm  · 
 · 

credit to lletdownl.

Jun 13, 08 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

Sarah; [url=http://www.arch.ttu.edu/programs/2008/academy.asp
]Texas Tech[/url] has a similar two-week program for students from Houston. My friend is teaching and seems to being enjoying it.

I also found this national list on the AIA website.

Jun 13, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj
Architecture Academy
Jun 13, 08 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

I'm home - yippeee. And i'm on the computer reporting to everyone on Thread Central (how sad but connected we all are)

Anyhow let the party and drinking begin...starts in 1:15 minutes and counting.

Ratonalist - as it stands the trek across the US is about a 40% possibility that I will know more of come Thursday. I will forewarn everyone including my co-pilots garwondler - less the gar.

Jun 13, 08 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I was in three diners an Italian Restaurant and a Pub all in one day and all for work! Fridays can be great, and I covered most of the State of Connecticut! Thank God I wasn't Driving and yup meals were
all free.

Jun 13, 08 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Wha? Wait! Weren't you flying to Jamaica this morning Atechno? I'm so confused.

Snook - that's a lot of ground you covered. What were you doing in all the eateries (besides eating).

So glad the day is over although I'm still pretty wired. I'm hoping the adrenaline rush ceases soon. I hate being so jittery.

Jun 13, 08 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

wtf? 43.58 to fill up a ten gallon tank!!! at least my internets working so i can bitch about to someone besides my cat. she don't like riding in cars.

Jun 13, 08 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hi vado! Glad your internet is up!

Jun 13, 08 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hi lb :P don't forget youre going to kentucky next weekend.

Jun 13, 08 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I just had to pay $60+ to fill up a car... First time I've had to pay for gas since November, thankfully. (I just picked up rental car to drive to Connecticut tomorrow morning, and pre-paid for a tank of gas so I don't have to fill it up on the way back in. CT supposedly has the most expensive gas in the country.)

In other news, I'm really starting to feel burned-out with my job lately, which has me down. I like the company, I like most of the people there, and we pretty good design work (although nothing I'd consider particularly experimental or cutting-edge). Problem is, my PM is a condescending, arrogant, obsessive-compulsive jackass and I'm not particularly thrilled about the project I've been working on for the past few months. I'm wondering if I should have a heart-to-heart chat with the partner I work under (somebody I'm on pretty good terms with), or just keep it under my hat.

I'm really feeling the itch to start grad school, and it's frustrating knowing that people are telling me they think I belong at Harvard or Yale, but I'm facing another year working for somebody who treats me like a dumb intern and can't go five seconds without finding fault in something I do.

Arrrgh... Okay, done venting for now. I'm going to try to go all weekend without thinking about work. A close friend of mine has finished seminary and is getting ordained as a deacon in the Episcopal Church (the reason for my trip to Hartford), and I get to spend some time on the open highway and visiting the Yale campus. I love NYC, but this place will make your head explode if you don't take a road trip outside the city once in a while.

Jun 13, 08 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

orhan steve miller is on and he's singin abracafuckingdabra!!!

Jun 14, 08 1:19 am  · 
 · 

totally know the feeling about getting out of city, LIG. have fun.

thanks LB. yesterday i was trying to explain to my daughter what the dr. of engineering title means. she only knows dr. as MD and i still couldn't explain it properly. i even switched to japanese and explained twice (japanese is her preference) but it still seems odd to her. i think i agree.

namhenderson, mostly i wanna focus on my office. we were kinda lucky with our first proper built project finished early this year and wanna do much more of same. my partner is working his tail off while i finish this puppy up but it is hard to go chase work when most of his time is spent just getting current projects finished and otherwise keeping up.

last week i went to Liverpool to deliver a paper at an IFHP conference. it was well received and all that, and it was great to see some of the british countryside, but for me the inspiring bit was the practicing planners presentations. sir peter hall was talking, and as a hero of mine i was super delighted to hear him talk, and later sit with him on bus on way to banquet hall et cetera. but the planners are really doing things. cool things. so i am now totally ready to start looking for planning jobs as well as architecture.

but just wait a year and see if i am still into it. probably I'll be complaining about contractors and yodeling warmly about the purity of academia or something like that...;-)

unrelated, but i took virgin rail to Liverpool from London. they have tables with electrical outlets for laptops mixed in among the regular seats. was absolutely brilliant. i dislike british rail in general but that was so super sweet.

Jun 14, 08 1:37 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

off to my hometown to see my mom who is visiting from arizona. proustian moments await as she will be staying at my late grandparents house out in the sticks. my moms sis lives there now and until i was six we lived next door to that house. my fondest memories are playing in the trash dump (as they used to burn the trash out in the back.)pokin in the fire throwin stuff in, building up the trash to burn etc... i don't know about kids these days but it seems a fundamental part of my youth was burning stuff.

Jun 14, 08 8:03 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Tuna....all in the line of work. Seems like it has been diner week. I was at the State Historical Commission along with a number of other people in an effort to relocate a diner in an adaptive reuse project on Thursday. The diner is an old barrel vaulted diner dating from the middle 1920's and is on the national historic register. The State gave us the thumbs up so we are excited. Now I can really start to get my hands around this project. Friday was more of the Ho-Jo googie kind of diner, later than the stainless steel diner but by all means still a diner. We are putting proposals together to do a party room in one diner and a face lift renovation of another diner. So you
be guessing I will be knocking out some quick concept ideas for the contractor to price over the next week. My other Friday Stop is at a
restaurant I did a renovation four years ago. It was sold about a month and a half ago....and the new owner has big conceptual changes so we have been in the throws with it for the past month and a half. Our giant pizza ovens showed up this week, having arrived two weeks late. So now the big push is on to get them bricked in. and get the place open inorder to catch the summer season.

Jun 14, 08 9:42 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Me and MRS B are going to the Rodeo today! I get to dig out my twenty year old cowboy boots for the occassion. I don't think they
would much appreciate my cowboy hat with a couple of bullet holes in it so I will have to wear my King Roping Baseball cap.

Jun 14, 08 9:45 am  · 
 · 
****melt
jump

- I didn't realize you were getting your doctorate in engineering. Is that what your undergrad and Masters are in as well, or are those in Architecture? Either way, it no less awesome and amazing that you've come this far and are on the downward slide toward the finish line. When exactly do you defend? I might have missed it in previous posts but why so many trips to England? Is that where you are getting your degree? I agree with LB, once you are done you should totally change your screen name to dr. jump :o)

snook - that all sounds very exciting. I've always had an interest in (historical)renovation. I grew up in a 100 year old builder's house in which we were only the second family to own it. You'll have to let us know how everything goes. Have fun at the rodeo. I went to a junior rodeo once in Forth Worth, TX and I had an absolute blast.

vado - have fun with your mum in your old stomping grounds.

LIG - just hang in there, it's bound to get better soon. Have fun in CT with your friend.

I'm just trying to relax from my hectic week. Have a good Saturday TC

Jun 14, 08 1:51 pm  · 
 · 

Jump.
I know what you mean by planning. I am seriously looking at going back for another masters in that discipline, including a program at U of Calgary, where my sister lives.
I think that there are some real interesting opportunities developing at that level and scale and more simply with the world switching from more urban than rural.

LIG, i know how that feels to hate work because of an immediate supervisor.
My last job was a total bear for that reason exactly.

With regards to gasoline. It take mes about 39-44 $. Thank god i inly fill up maybe twice a month.
Which is just another reason to love commuting by bicycle.

Jun 14, 08 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

so I just got a job in Seattle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to be doing construction for a developer / builder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seattle, here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 14, 08 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I quit a job once entirely because of my direct supervisor. Everything else was fine. I never regretted it one bit.

Jun 14, 08 6:14 pm  · 
 · 

congrats mdler...but what do you mean you'll be doing construction? Are you going to be running the construction gang or worse does this mean we won't be seeing more of your beautiful designs around the place?

Jun 14, 08 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

atechno

I am gonna be swinging a hammer!!!!!!!!!!! I need to get away from the computer for a while and this is going to give me the opportunity to get some more construction and development experience.

I plan on doing some of my own stuff once I get up to Seattle as well...having access to a construction crew will help. I have some possible connections to some chefs in the city and hope to get some restaurant stuff going!

Jun 14, 08 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

yay mdler! Can you tell me where at? And when will you be up here for good? Sorry I missed you last time you were in town, that weekend got super crazy.

Jun 14, 08 7:03 pm  · 
 · 

Gin, I think you need to say something. A working relationship like that with all that undue stress on you can take its toll. But make sure you have a solution in mind, like working for another PM just make sure to down play the fact that he's an ass.

Jun 14, 08 7:45 pm  · 
 · 

mdler cool - I am of the belief that all architects should take some time in the sun physically working their designs. It gives them a greater appreciation (in many ways). Just don't do it for too long the calluses on your hands might affect your cad production

Jun 14, 08 7:58 pm  · 
 · 

not to mention the bad back. framers are tough but after 20 years it takes a toll on the body...

tunamelt, actually i am not sure what its going to be officially cuz my prof just changed faculty from engineering to frontier science (whatever the hell that means), but still keeps his office in engineering faculty...i prefer d.eng to d. whatever the hell they made up.

all architects in japan are engineers. there is no such thing as a faculty of architecture separate from faculty of engineering. but for phd it doesn't really matter what faculty the professor is..so i can study planning under an architect in a faculty that is mostly devoted to high-energy physics and genetic engineering...strange as that sounds...

phd is in tokyo, but i like europe. this time round the uni picked up the bill as i was delivering paper and was able to swing funding. sadly will be last time i get to do that.

Jun 14, 08 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Back from CT, where a good time was had by all... At least until I hit the road back to NYC. Violent thunderstorms almost the entire way back to New York... Lots of close lightning strikes, rain coming down in buckets, zero visibility, heavy winds, and even some minor flooding on I-95 around Stanford and again in the Bronx. This was like one of those monster thunderstorms I'm using to seeing back in the Midwest or in Florida. I normally like driving, but this was white knuckles on the steering wheel almost the whole 120+ miles. Not fun.

At least I got home safely... All's well that ends well, I guess. Back to riding around on the subways until I have the occasion to rent a car again.

Jun 14, 08 10:57 pm  · 
 · 

I won a lighting design competition tonight, with a $5000 scholarship. And a comically large check, lol. I've participated in a lot of design competitions in my time but this is the first one I've ever won outright. And it's in lighting design! Apparently I have a flair I didn't know about. I should enter more competitions.....

Jun 15, 08 5:31 am  · 
 · 

congrats, emily! i saw the pic pop up on your flickr and came here to see what was up. even comically large checks are a wonderful thing when you're in school.

Jun 15, 08 6:49 am  · 
 · 

fantastic emily!

can you actually cash that?

Jun 15, 08 6:58 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

congrats mdler and emily.now you need a comically large wallet to put it in.

well i got back from my grandmother/slash aunts place after a short visit with the momfactor. a perfect day for driving and god did i listen to the boss or what. anyway my aunts place has become a small farm with two goats about twenty chickens and several ducks and about 13 cats hanging out. we sat on the porch and just shot the breeze. goats are pretty cool although don't trust the ones with horns and don't let one chase you they are fast!!!

Jun 15, 08 9:01 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

There is bad news and good news in our house. We went to the Rodeo yesterday, watched alot of Brazilian Riders on the Bulls. Some old yankee sitting next to me makes a coment about how what is this with Brazilians riding bulls there not cowboys. I turned to him and said the Best Bull Rider in the world happens to be Brazilian. Then we got to watch the pretty ladies run the barrels. A fun time was had by all, then it started a downpour started so we took cover till it was down to a summer drizzle, we headed to the car and stopped for pizza at a former clients on the way home. We we arrived home MRS B was upset as one of her beautiful blooming flowers was laying down in the grass. I went on in while she gave it the last rites.
I said I better check to see if we had any limbs come down in the back yard. I rounded the corner and HOLY MAHOLY...a major portion of the large maple tree was laying on the ground. So that was the bad part, after surveying the situation and discovering it had managed to miss every building within 50 feet. I said to Mrs B that is a good thing. This morning in the paper there was an article about
a tree a couple blocks from hour house where one of the monster maples of our neighborhood fell thru someones roof. So we were lucky. Had two tree services here since last night both of the guys i know and they said nearly the same thing. It is going to cost between 2,000 and 3,000 dollars to clean up what is on the ground and remove the rest of the giant. Took a look at our insurance policy and shit if I can tell if there going to be kicking in on this one and well no one is home until monday. So I guess my morning tommorrow is going to be filled with talking to insurance people.

Happy fathers days to all the fathers out there.

Jun 15, 08 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: