Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

AP

that looks delicious. mmmmmmmbaklava...

i'm also a fan of Turkey.

May 21, 06 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

i just did a mindless thing and watched 'wayne's world 2' on hbo. hahahahahahahah. that movie is crazy, i've never seen it before. it is gray in la. a perfect day for staying in bed and watch movies i don't have to think about...
AP, it was so sad turkey lost to swiss on away goals on the way to world cup. it would be much more colorful with turks playing in germany. well, such as soccer ball as they say. i am with mexico this cup for the sake of my friend arturo robles who is going to germany with his kids for the games as he did to japan 4 years ago. he was on mexican tv and everything with his sombrero hat. yeah, he is my favorite contractor too.

May 21, 06 3:41 pm  · 
 · 

what a coincidence. we are now watching another funny and mindless one; 'kicking & screaming'. it is about soccer dads.

May 21, 06 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Can I please just send a thought to all the other archinect parents out there:

D**MIT don't you wish you could spend a single freakin' weekend day watching mindless movies?!?!?!?!?

Oh well I'm off to the planetarium to let my 3yo see Saturn through the big telescope. Of course it will be fun but I am so freakin' tired.

AP yes, I'll address your comment re: teaching in a bit, when I'm not so tired ;)

May 21, 06 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Oh man. That makes me want to hurry up and watch many movies and be super lazy for as long as I can.

I'm scared.

May 21, 06 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i just watched the sting and now i'm watchin torrents of spring
yesterday i watched the big sleep, attila and sam peckinpah's cross of iron
friday i watched munich and the squid and the whale. i am a philistine.

May 21, 06 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Damn. Diligent.

May 21, 06 6:28 pm  · 
 · 

the immigrant life is a different one orhan. can sympathise about not going home and missing out on all the family life while away. i am lucky to make it home once in a year, usually it is 2 or 3. family dieing and cousins marrying and i am 24 hours away at best...worse was when my father passed and my brother and i had to get a flight as quick as we could to be there for funeral...

but like you say the real old immigrants had it much worse. at least in my case i was talking to my dad through skype and using vid phone with messenger so we were never out of touch. when my grandparents left their birth places they didn't hear about family again for 20 years. and they had to deal with living in a shack in the middle of nowhere on the prairie.

we have it soooo easy...

May 21, 06 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Orhan ..,

the guy I remember from the turkish team at the last world cup was the goal keeper .. that man was brilliant !! ..I actually thouht that Turkey could have won the semifinals against Brazil because of him !!

May 22, 06 6:11 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Munich was an awesome movie

Kicking and screaming was not

funny though... :)

May 22, 06 6:14 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

LB,

how was the trip to the planetarium? .. the lil' ones had a good time?

May 22, 06 6:16 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

lol AP ..

" dub K and the toddles!" ... I love it ...

wonderK .. can I be toddle#1 ?

May 22, 06 6:18 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Notes from Brazil: Brazil is gearing up for the World Cup....lots of graphics here in Brazil and lots of flags and people dressed in yellow and green, small streamers hanging between houses.It is amazing even in the local teams are squaring off when a goal is made one can hear the reaction some 18 floors up from the street. These people are real football fans! Yes they are eager for another title.

May 22, 06 10:17 am  · 
 · 
AP

pictures! please....sounds like a blast...

May 22, 06 10:43 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I am officially incorporating Dub K and The Toddles as a musical act. I was thinking hip hop with some banjo, a xylophone, and some salsa infusion. sporadic will be Toddle #1 and all lyrics will be by vado retro. It'll be great.

I second AP's call for pictures from snooker. Also I would like to talk about Brazil but I will start a separate thread about that at some point.

May 22, 06 11:01 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

PS. I had a nice weekend. How about everyone else? Yesterday was beautiful and I visited the park where I had an epic battle with some caterpillars. Friendly little creatures but they really like to climb on people whilst they are reading.

May 22, 06 11:09 am  · 
 · 
AP
whilst

they are reading Design iItelligence reports touting their undergrad school as the greatest in all of the caterpillar-infested land.

May 22, 06 11:31 am  · 
 · 
AP

*intelligence, that is.

May 22, 06 11:33 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

perhaps the caterpillars disagreed w/ the DI report and sought to right the egregious wrongs by staging a peaceful protest?

May 22, 06 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
AP

heheheheh...nice.

May 22, 06 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
AP

oh, and I would like to be the manager for "dub K and the salacious toddles." along with typical managerial responsibilites, my role will be to insure vado has unencumbered creative license, to keep sporadic and other engaged and/or married "toddles" from breaking their vows w/ the many groupies that the band will surely have, and to keep track of all the flowers that get sent to the band's charismatic leader, dub K.

May 22, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
AP

salacious toddles need to be kept in line.

May 22, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Ms. DubK, I sense a new costume in the works.

AP, drawing from past experience and comments from former students, I'd say I am at my best as a teacher when I'm inspiring enthusiasm. That's all I can say right now, as I have cabinet drawings to get done.

May 22, 06 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh and sorry, sporadic - the planetarium was cancelled as we realized just in time that Saturn-viewing is on Fridays and Saturdays only, not Sundays. Guess Saturn takes Sunday night off to watch movies. It's funny - when my neighbor said "planetarium show" all I could imagine was the stoner-filled planetarium shows I went to in high school, Lazer-Zeppelin and such. Ha.

May 22, 06 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
AP

lb, CD done, in the mail soon. sorry for the delay...

re teaching - my comment was in passing, sans context, and possibly uncalled for...either way, thanks for responding.

hope you can find inspiration in your cabinet drawings ;)

May 22, 06 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

laserzep. whole lotta love. great description of planetarium scene. hah..;)

so i didn't really watched kicking screaming due to dozing off. tina said it was boring after a while, going on and on about the same joke. wayne world #2 was action packed at least. but later, i watched a real gem; 'i shot andy warhol' it was the second time in three years. great movie. factory years of andy and new york seen. 'v' for valerie and s.c.u.m manifesto...

May 22, 06 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

*seen=scene

May 22, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

by the way, here is the SCUM Manifesto for the connoisseur. they say its a feminist movement classic/must read.

May 22, 06 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Also for the record I love dumb movies, last good one I saw was Dodgeball which I would gladly watch again. Love that pirate guy.

May 22, 06 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

dumb movies... i have a penchant for these. and after seeing the trailer for Nacho Libre... i sorta wanna see it.

have i lost all remaining intellectual credibility with you guys?

May 22, 06 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

remaining intellectual credibility? what's that?

if this is turning into a stupid movie thread (for now) i have to nominate Benchwarmers.

when it was over, i found myself wondering what the whole point was, but then remembered that i never went longer than a few minutes without laughing...which was the point. good times.

May 22, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

here is a classic; translates as 'man who saved the world' a turkish bootleg of 'star wars' on low budget. it is now an international classic. link

May 22, 06 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

are you a philistine???

May 22, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

hey did you read on sketches of frank gehry thread abra thinks frank gehry is good. hahahaharhar..

Ha ha ha sorry. I had to.

May 22, 06 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

semi philistine... since we've never left the aegean region for tel aviv area.
anatolia, the original melting pot of the world.;)

May 22, 06 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

wasn't so much dumb as really wrong: saw 'thank you for smoking' this weekend. that guy almost had me...

May 22, 06 6:05 pm  · 
 · 

Am I the only one who thinks "Stick It" looks funny? "It's not called gym-nice-tics"

May 22, 06 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

thank you for smoking was so incredibly well written. some of the best satire i've seen in years.

May 22, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i haven't been to the cinema in over two years...maybe it's time i should go. but first i gonna put pants on.

May 22, 06 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

is stick it the one with the dude (jeff bridges) in it? he seems to take the oddest roles...sometime I want to see him in some nice-guy 'tween movie role and bust out with "hey man, there's a beverage here!"

May 22, 06 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well it's almost 11 pm - sporadic are you there yet? Mornin'.

After surverying the wreckage of my check book after paying bills, and realizing that my to do list for the night is still about 20 items long, including: 3 different CSK's that should have been done today, letter to bank I need to write, still haven't set up my new printer, dinner dishes in kitchen sink, a lecture to prepare, a faxable version of a site plan needs to be sent ASAP, two invoices to write, there are three emails from clients in my inbox, and I just realized that I have not a single ironed short to wear tomorrow, I've decided I'm ready to give up. If I had a copy of Dogeball I'd plant my ass on the couch and watch it.

Instead, I'll trun on Jon Stewart and try to at least get the site plan finished, that's pretty mindless.

PS - I'm actually getting worried about Pixelwhore and myriam, who I don't think I've seen lately - all that flooding in Boston has me concerned. Are you guys out there? (and no this isn't just concern that vado get his CD swap, Pixel, I'm actually worried about you guys :)

May 22, 06 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Umm, make that ironed shirt - I don't wear shorts to work.

May 22, 06 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Just got in LB ... good morning ...

are you working late tonight ? ... I'm feeling a lil lazy today .. hope it wouldn't stay .. have a hell lotta work today ...

and yeah .. I was wondering about the "Ironed shorts " .. lol ..

May 23, 06 1:01 am  · 
 · 
AP

my neighbor wears ironed jean shorts.

May 23, 06 10:21 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I had some fun today.

(the post at about 10:00)

May 23, 06 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, we both did. I tried to be helpful in the beginning, since he asked about USC. But then it just turned into a pissing contest.

May 23, 06 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

a friend of my mother's used to iron her husband's underwear

May 23, 06 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

next page, ho!

May 23, 06 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
parallel38

I know Wonder and rationalist

It begs the question....where did you guys go to school (are going to school)?

May 23, 06 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

I went to USC (as pretty much anyone who reads my posts knows, I'm a diehard Trojan), and had plenty of tough critiques, even a whole semester at the hands of one of the toughest critics around, when he just started teaching. But anyone who's ever had one can tell the difference between a good critic and a bad critic. If you talk to students the way you're talking in that thread, then you're a bad one, because you don't say WHY you think a school is good or bad, you just expect everyone to adknowledge the obvious superiority of your opinions. But hopefully you don't critique like that, and you're just being a troll.

May 23, 06 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: