Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

sporadic supernova

good night and good morning guys ..

May 16, 06 9:45 am  · 
 · 
adso

I saw that too, WonderK, and all I could think was why wasn't this the Al Gore that was running for President six years ago. Probably because he's not running for president.

May 16, 06 10:23 am  · 
 · 
adso

No worries, lb, my dalliance in printmaking is just an extension of my fascination with any process which transfers form/image from one object to another (mold making indeed). This should lead to more alchemical messes.

I have a great mental image of those theiving Cranbrook printmakers, kinda greasy, covered in stains and stealing laundry. A friend of mine, who is a professional cello player in an orchestra, always complains about the oboe players being "not right in the head". I always get a kick out of that.

May 16, 06 10:38 am  · 
 · 

asdo- thx for the recommendation. I'll add it to my wish list. But first the overview via the big book, bookbinding, and then hand embossing. THEN etching and engraving. It's easy to forget how fun learning new things is, but once I get started, I just want to keep going. My interest in this stuff is just an offshoot from the graphic interest. I think I might re-bind some old portfolios, just for the practice/fun of it. That way by the time I do my grad portfolio, it will be the most beautiful thing they've ever seen and they'll all give me full scholarships trying to get me to come to THEIR school. A girl can dream, right?

May 16, 06 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
AP
dream

?

May 16, 06 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Where is everybody?

I have another question, and then I'll stop devoting my time to this:

Can't anybody delete that Yale thread? Please? It's turning into one big "he said, she said, I'm going to go tell on you" thread and it's really, really pathetic.....not to mention that it's not at all in the spirit of the forum. And the same 2 or 3 people keep bumping it. With the same type of posts. Which basically say: "I'm not here to bash Yale, but here's another anti-Yale article" and then they post an article that has nothing to do with Yale.

This is probably going to get me picked on by the anti-Yale bullies. As you can probably gather, I really care.

May 17, 06 8:54 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i wonder what vado is gonna do for his 3000 th post?

May 17, 06 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
AP

he should start a thread.

May 17, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

he did

May 17, 06 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
AP

OIC...

May 17, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yes WonderK to two things:

Ramus Ella Architects /= REX. That drives me frickin bonkers!!! It's so self-conciously an attempt to sound cool. Which I guess is fine but not for me.

And the Yale thread is a disaster, I've stopped opening it at all, it's just nasty.

I guess I need to respond to vado re: 3,000. But I'm too tired to come up with anything clever to say right now, just finished a 3-hour pricing meeting with clients, they are nitpicking over every faucet etc. which is fine but exhausting.

And I'm surprised as I stated on the PHILADELPHIA!! thread that once again there is a thread about Philly with many people singing its praises. Of course if someone says "Philly" to me I start gushing, can't help it. It's such a cool town.

May 17, 06 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

i like things that are too clever - a guilty pleasure, i guess. the combination of x'ing out rem's m (killing the father) and elevating the Prince to king seemed self-consciously smart, which has been the office's m.o. anyway.

May 17, 06 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

oh, intellectual pretense. how you enthrall, entertain, and enrage us that simultaneously love and hate ye.

i agree w/ the yale comments too. it's a brain cell killer. it's like another forum i happen to frequent (non-arch). the main discussion area is just mostly mindless drivel while a select portion is actually still pertinent to the topic. at least we don't get into stupid political "debates" (sic) here.

May 17, 06 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

Even after you see it, it is still hard to believe !

Water Bridge in Germany.... What a feat!

Six years, 500 million euros, 918 meters long...

This is a channel-bridge over the River Elbe and joins the former East and West Germany , as part of the unification project. It is located in the city of Magdeburg, near Berlin. The photo was taken on the day of inauguration.

To those who appreciate engineering projects, here's a puzzle for you armchair engineers and physicists. Did that bridge have to be designed to withstand the additional weight of ship and barge traffic, or just the weight of the water?

Answer:

It only needs to be designed to withstand the weight of the water!

Why? A ship always displaces an amount of water that weighs the same as the ship, regardless of how heavily a ship may be loaded.

Remember your high school physics, and the fly in an enclosed bottle project Similarly, the super sensitive scale proved that it didn't make any difference whether the fly was sitting on the bottom, walking up the side, or flying around. The bottle, air, and fly were a single unit of mass and always weighed the same.

via larry totah.

May 17, 06 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

but if the water doesn't "go" anywhere. doesn't the displacement become a moot point? if you have a bathtub that supports 50 lbs. of water and you add a boat that weighs 10 lbs. if the water doesn't spill out anywhere, doesn't the bathtub need to support the boat plus water?

i'm just thinking aloud. perhaps i am wrong.

May 17, 06 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Yeah, that must be for an open system - dams, rivers etc. not a closed system like a bath, sink etc.

May 17, 06 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

yes you are right. even if the canals are considered a closed system, the additional load of the boat (because it displaces water) is distributed evenly throughout the system. so a displacement of say 10 tons would be distributed through the entire system so the additional load that's bearing on the bridge is essentially negligible.

May 17, 06 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Orhan, I'll see your water bridge and raise you a Falkirk Wheel: the amazing engineered "lock" in Scotland that lets one boat enter both top and bottom, then spins around and lets the two go off again at the other level

So cool.

May 17, 06 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Damn I have been away so long. I love that lock, lb.

May 17, 06 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Sweet jesus, you people just made my day. And to think I was about to go to bed. A water bridge!?! A boat ferris wheel?!? I know you told me about it before, lb, but I still didn't get it even though I acted like I did.

But gosh that is gorgeous. That's what it's all about. I'm going to have sweet dreams of other unbelievable engineering marvels now....

May 18, 06 12:46 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Those are the best kind of dreams. I am serious. And when you have a conversation about these marvels in your dreams... well, you can't beat that. Except, and I jest not, when you think the converation actually happened and you reference it when talking with the equivalents in the waking life.

Embarrassing.

May 18, 06 12:54 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

More embarassing than this post:

I was just thinking yesterday "Gosh I miss garpike!" and here you are = yay!

Nice to see you.

May 18, 06 8:03 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ok, I'm going to see that thing in August when I drop in on the UK....I'm so excited!

Anything interesting going on today? I have to admit I'm getting a real kick out of the community drawing board....

May 18, 06 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Thanks, lb. Nice to see you.

May 18, 06 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

hey garpike hows the walkin' situation?

May 18, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Good. Minor limping. Had a doctors appointment a week ago. I am "clinically healed" though the fractures are still visible in the xray. The doc said no basketball for 2 months. That's easy. I have never played basketball outside of high school gym class.

May 18, 06 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

hey gar, how is your leg dude?

May 18, 06 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

ehehe, nice to hear that.

May 18, 06 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I'll tell you what hurts. My wallet. Damn, even with insurance.

If anyone will be in LA this weekend and without plans Saturday my band is playing in Little Tokyo. It is small show, but my first in 2006.

Info

May 18, 06 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

"break a leg" on sat. garpike.

if wind up not going to a shindig in santa monica on sat night i might try to make it. or i might just default to your show in venice. you should play in front of the convention center during the conference

May 18, 06 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Cool. The Venice show will be many times better. The Good Hurt is a much bigger venue.

May 18, 06 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oooohhhhh, ACfA, that is soooo bad (and very funny) - good lord, garpike, please be careful on stage!!!! Whatever you do don't turn around to talk to someone!!

May 18, 06 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ha ha I won't twist. In fact I have become 2d man.

If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you.

May 18, 06 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

according to superstition you're never supposed to say "good luck" to anyone performing on stage. it's supposedly bad luck. dunno about the origins though. wikipedia proved unhelpful (!!!!)

May 18, 06 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
AP

in italian/italy, it is bad luck to be wished good luck...

instead, they say (and bigness, resident italian, can expand):

In bocca del lupo = in the mouth of the wolf

to which the response is:

Crepi del'lupo = death to the wolf!

May 18, 06 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ya...the more I think about it, the more I think i messed up some of the nuances in that statement above...I'll have to wait for bigness to weigh in / correct me. It might be -al lupo, not -del lupo...and typically the response is just "crepi."

/rant, for now...

May 18, 06 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

In mia bocca è un lupo.

Mmmmmm... wolf.

May 18, 06 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

THREAD ALERT!

We're approaching 2000. It seems like a momentous occasion.

May 18, 06 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
AP

correzzione: c'e un lupo nella mia bocca...

May 18, 06 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Grazi.

Oooo 2000

May 18, 06 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

"entry to Architectural Association harder than Cooper?"

All right stop collaborate and listen in dread
soulikeit is back with my brand new thread

May 18, 06 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
AP

something, makes me think she's here to stay,
howlin' like a lupo, daily and nightly,

will she ever stop,
no, I doubt it.

/ice.

May 18, 06 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

if she's got a problem, yo we'll solve it

May 18, 06 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

make sure you guys allow vado a little time to post 2000 th post if he chooses to do it here.

May 18, 06 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

May 18, 06 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Party like its... oh forget it.

May 18, 06 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yay!!! 2000! woo hoo 2000 is so coooool!!!

May 18, 06 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

From this day on May 18th will now be known as Vado Retro Reaches 3000 Comments and Breaks 2000 Comments in Thread Central Day.

Or maybe just Woo Hoo Day.

May 18, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

woohoo

May 18, 06 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

woo the hoo

May 18, 06 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: