Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

some person

Oysters and Trifle: can you explain more about the photo you posted? Is that an interior condition? Certainly it's not an exterior condition, as the window sill flashing is not tied in anywhere?

It seems a bit fussy with two transition materials between the grate and window.

I hope someone revives the Jobsite Pic of the Day thread. Aw, heck. I'll just do it.

Feb 13, 08 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

MRS, RA: it's exterior, but in a protected location. Art Center South Campus/Wind Tunnel in Pasadena. Neat stair case, bad for those freaked out by heights, because you could look down through the grate, way, way below your feet.

Strange thing, for a school known for producing automotive designers, this building sits by the Gold Line, as the light rail curves around a bend, and the the traffic barriers come down, and the boldly graphic rail cars speed through. Quite dramatic, especially when seen from the top of the staircase, a few stories up.

Feb 14, 08 12:29 am  · 
 · 

Thanks for the heads up, Barry. I don't really like being on camera, but aside from that part, it sounds like a lot of fun. I sent my resume in :-O

Feb 14, 08 12:43 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

FYI. for those interested I'm in NYC for one day next week. I have a meeting next week but thought I'd organize drinks again. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=8048423983

you know the drill

show up, drink, don't start conversations with 'Hey did you read that thread were per....'.

C

Feb 14, 08 1:04 am  · 
 · 

Happy V Day everyone......

Feb 14, 08 8:09 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Cameron - you and your ogranization were mentioned in an old article I was reading in some magazine. It was just a little blurb but I smiles anyway.

Happy Valentine's Day

Feb 14, 08 8:15 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Oops, I meant smiled

Feb 14, 08 8:16 am  · 
 · 

happy valentine's day everyone esp Wonder K & tumbles - I'm here sneezing my head off because I walked puppy in the rain this morning. I'm on the second cup of coffee, 1000 mg of vitamin c, an apple chocolate and still I'm sneezing every 5 mins on cue.

Feb 14, 08 9:48 am  · 
 · 
n_

Happy Love Day.

Feb 14, 08 10:08 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

happy hallmark/de beers day to all.

I've been noticing a lot of the insider archinecteur jokes these days. it might be worth starting a thread dedicated to knight rider, chuck norris, 3dh, and all the other ways we haze newbies. I'm most amused by the direction that this thread has gone. I'm glad we now accept per (and that 3dh only shows up where appropriate).

Feb 14, 08 10:11 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
VaLeNtInEz

are due today...

Feb 14, 08 10:11 am  · 
 · 

I could be depressed about it, but I've decided to regard being single this Valentine's Day as an experiment. I mean, it's got to happen at least once, right? Because thinking back, this is my first one as a single since I was 15. Oh shoot, nope, forgot about that one. No, since I was 14.

Feb 14, 08 10:23 am  · 
 · 

but uh, yeah, Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I won't put any 'especially's on that, since they probably wouldn't even read this anyway.

Feb 14, 08 10:25 am  · 
 · 

To all of TC my Valentines video to show my love to all of you......

Love

Feb 14, 08 10:41 am  · 
 · 

rationalist - being single on valentine's day is only bad when you have to endure others talking about what john and teddy gave them. Its forced affection and without meaning. That said - its a good day to go out with friends to the place that will remain single highlights - the corner pub or bar. So tonight - get sloshed, and take it from there.

Feb 14, 08 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Man! I want to get sloshed tonight!

Feb 14, 08 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

Happy V-day. my little one brought me musical toy peas in bed, which I promptly threw down the corridor. I'm a mean Valentine.

Feb 14, 08 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Even when I've been dating people on Valentine's Day it still means pretty much nothing. There was one year I felt bad b/c the guy got me a card and it never occurred to me to even do that. Oops.

Oh well, not something I have to worry about the present moment... Although I was informed the other day that apparently there are people in the office that think a co-worker and I are dating. I almost choked with laughter. If they only knew who I really had a crush on...

Feb 14, 08 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

is it someone on archinect

Feb 14, 08 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

exgf/future wife received some very nice flowers today. and congrats on the epic post levels techno. and by the way lb is sick. get well soon lb!!!

Feb 14, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I bet she got it from her kid. Kids are rotten that way.

Get well soon LB!

Feb 14, 08 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

OK, notice to all TC'ers:

some of you know me in real life. Some of you are connected with me in various other ways on the net, and my real-life people are also present there. Most of my real-life people do not know the name 'rationalist'. Please do not use it. If our relationship extends in some way beyond archinect, then I genuinely appreciate who you are beyond the screen name, and hope you approach it in the same way. I'm not trying to berate or offend anyone here, this is just a mass notice to all that I am enforcing some separation of lives.

Feb 14, 08 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

same goes for me. call me 'Mr. Sinclair'

Feb 14, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm really enjoying the jesus pets thread...and contemplating life with a skunk as a pet

Feb 14, 08 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Officially burnt out on all the political threads.

Please no more.

Feb 14, 08 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Atechno - I heart pretty much everyone here. And to reply to your question... no, the person I was referring to isn't on Archinect (I think), he's a co-worker of mine that I've had a major crush on since I pretty much started working there. Ever watched "Love Actually"?

Feb 14, 08 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i actually had a very nice valentine's day considering my valentine is over a thousand miles away. after work i went to a bar by myself to treat myself to a fine single malt, expecting to get depressed about being alone on vd day. anyway i felt like going out as i looked fucking sharp today. black suit, wine and gray and black striped shirt with french cuffs etc... and anyway i was at the bar and there was a guy there that i had met a couple of time previously at some art events around town and i joined in with him and a couple of other dudes and we had a great time shooting the shit and i ended up just eating there etc... the johnyy walker wisdom was running high etc,,, although i was drinking oban, and then i came hom e and my vd present to myself was here (two leonard cohen cd's that i had owned but somehow lost probably a woman took em) anyway and now im home and called valentine and she wasnt home oh well. im happy anyway....

Feb 14, 08 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

oh and i came home and ate chocolate and drank some port.

Feb 14, 08 10:24 pm  · 
 · 

mmm, I had several glasses of champagne at a reception for a prof of mine who's moving up in the world. My grad studio attended en masse which made what could have been an evening with some stuffy old men suprisingly fun. So though I'm home alone now, it was nice to spend part of the evening with friends.

Feb 14, 08 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
some person

...pssst! Word on the street (okay, not quite street, more like Facebook) is that our good friend stephanie is working on a podcast. I'm beyond myself with anticipation...

Feb 14, 08 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Look closely.

Feb 15, 08 12:57 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Is VD over yet?

Hope everyone is well. I've been so busy....also, sadly, it looks as if I'm going to have to lock my cat up in the bathroom tomorrow. I can't get her to stop peeing on the (now-plastic-covered) futon. And I want my futon to be nice and clean by the time tunamelt visits!

I'm having a pajama party on Leap Day. I think I've invited all the locals but if I missed anyone, email me and we'll see if you can handle it....

Feb 15, 08 1:01 am  · 
 · 

tonight i am babysitting the baby cuz wife and oldest are out shopping. spaghetti will be made. finding nemo wil be watched.

what is funny is that my wife is making a trip with friends to ....costco. when you don't have a car a trip to costco is an adventure...way out to the edge of tokyo where trains fear to tread. ;-)

who says old people don't live on the edge...?

Feb 15, 08 5:22 am  · 
 · 

i may have had the best valentine's day i've ever had! my wife dressed the girls in fancy red and black dresses, made an amazing dinner, helped the girls finger-paint valentines paintings for me (which are hung up in the dining room) and then we all went out to 'the homemade ice cream and pie kitchen' for dessert. lots of happy people out in the city last night and the girls, of course, charmed them all. (we always seem to be a spectacle - a noisy spectacle.)

while i did my part, too, it was much more normal and boring.

hope you guys had fun.

Feb 15, 08 7:58 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm still living

Feb 15, 08 8:48 am  · 
 · 

Tunamelt - Love Actually is my favourite movie; and the only thing I know that guarantees I will bust a tear. Its sad really! Brilliant film!!

Vado I am a fan of single malts but up until now I did not know about Oban, I trust you recommend this (I am a Glenfiddich drinker mostly)

Feb 15, 08 9:19 am  · 
 · 

thanks very very much for the card tumbles... I'm glee

Feb 15, 08 9:56 am  · 
 · 

hey tuna - I got your email regarding the link from Arch Record - but for the life of me I couldn't find it.

Feb 15, 08 10:23 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

wK- has the wonderkitty gotten a checkup recently? there may be a physical cause or a psychological issue that a vet can help pinpoint. Also make sure the litter box is clean and that the litter is the familiar stuff.

Feb 15, 08 10:30 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

tk, yes, I've explored both of those options.

A) I took her to the vet last week (after the first round of peeing)
and her urinanalysis came back normal.

B) Earlier this week I cleaned out both of her litter boxes completely
and replaced all of the litter with new.

Now granted, part of this is my fault because I never entirely got the smell out of the futon mattress, so she probably just went back to it out of instinct, but i got some heavy duty cleaner last night from the grocery store and am doing that now. Unfortunately I'm going to have to lock her up in my bathroom today.....it's beyond punishment, I'm just trying to protect my stuff, especially since the mattress is out there drying now......I'm probably not going to be able to let her out of my bathroom / room until I get the plastic sheet for the futon.

</end boring cat talk>

Thanks for the valentine tumbles! As I don't celebrate VD day, I didn't make you one. I hope you had a great day though!

And stephanie is awesome!

Feb 15, 08 11:29 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Atechno - try here

It's also on this week's McGraw-Hill Constructionmail.

Feb 15, 08 11:31 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

wK- there are good enzyme cleaners available from pet stores that will remove the pee smell completely.

Feb 15, 08 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

WK, assuming its extra sunny this weekend, put your mattress outside. The sun works wonders for smells and stains!

Feb 15, 08 11:43 am  · 
 · 

I am curious Wonder K how the removal goes; I was raised to believe that cat pee near impossible to remove completely.

Tunamelt thanks I found it. Recognition like that is always great - unnusual that I have been placed in the section under green blogs.

Feb 15, 08 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline
Two week notice given.

Philadelphia, here we come.
Feb 15, 08 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Cool.... Philly isn't nearly as bad as the locals say it is.

Feb 15, 08 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

JC - Congrats on the move. hope it goes smoothly!

other news is that I'm waiting by the phone for confirmation that we've getting paid. the client supposedly was at the bank this morning for the project funding.

Learned a new spanish term that is really cool: tocayo. As in mi tocayo refering to somebody that shares your name. as if there is another person named Tree - they would be mi tocayo!

I need a vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 15, 08 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wow, JC, you have a lot of identities. I never would have guessed.

Feb 15, 08 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
*thump*

[sound of Gin hitting a brick wall at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon.]

I have officially exhausted this week's supply of productivity. Time to surf the web for the next 2.5 hours.

Feb 15, 08 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

gin, I was sunk 45 minutes earlier, but I can't stop cause I have too much to do (and too much responsibility to slack off).

Feb 15, 08 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: