Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

John Cline

so, could this be archinect's first multiple generation post from the same family?

Jan 30, 08 9:15 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

HA. SH, your mom dropped a WTF. Sweet.

Jan 30, 08 10:40 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i don't believe it's really vado's mom, only one way to tell...

Jan 30, 08 10:49 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

what beta didn't include is that it is:

negative 13 degrees f today in the sun.

the mom thing freaked me out too.

Jan 30, 08 11:00 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ohmigosh, Sarah, how cute! I think it's so funny that your mom said WTF. She seems really sweet. If my mom showed up here, it would probably be to send me on a guilt trip or something else equally unhelpful.

My 8 am class was canceled this morning. Of course I didn't find out until I was already on the bus to come here for it. Grrr! I am currently designing a desk pillow because I want to have better napping opportunities.

architechno....you are such a flirt! You have an SO! I doubt she would be happy with you galavanting around LA with me! Still, I would be happy to give you a tour :o)

Jan 30, 08 11:53 am  · 
 · 

per quotable of the week: Have a nice earmuff .

Jan 30, 08 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

puppy is in the car, enjoying the wind and shade. Going to walk her about a bit in a few (once someone comes and releives me in the office). In a classic tumbleweed move I've brought the puppy to work. One of two people likely to be upset about this is in the adjacent office...hmm. I was hoping to quickly carry her up and have her under the desk but no luck.

Wonder K, admittedly I am a flirt. And isn't that the first sign to recovery - admittance. Hello I'm [fill in blank], and I'm an [insert condition].

and I'll most certainly be with tumbles in the pm, first round on me

btw WK/aka Emily K, I was going to add further, simply to see if I could get you to blush (its almost [color=red]Valentines[/red]) - that's its hard not to flirt when the ladies of archinect are so gorgeous!!!

Jan 30, 08 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

heh heh anyone see the comedy in my mistake on the word Valentines?

Jan 30, 08 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I need a bodymuff, not just an ear muff.

thank you per for that gem!

Jan 30, 08 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I want to talk about my flowers!

I got flowers at work today. Just now in fact. They are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 30, 08 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

we can thank per for lots of gems

and for what it's worth, it been a rather cool 80 degrees fahrenheit in my neighborhood today...i even wore a jacket for a while.

Jan 30, 08 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

mantaray, I want to hear about your flowers.

Jan 30, 08 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

steve, I thought that line was reserved for the bottom of each page...

well, I'm about to head off into the wild blue yonder for a few days. not sure if the hotel has web access, so hopefully I won't get TC delirium tremens or go into withdrawl...

at least the new york metro is is significantly warmer. at 40, I may not even need a jacket.

ciao!

Jan 30, 08 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Okay, so studio is scheduled for 1-5. I show up at ~12:30 every day. Teacher never shows up till 2ish. I guess I've found a new time slot to hop on the 'Nect.

Jan 30, 08 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

wow, which slacker TTU prof do you have? Let me guess, Abu-Salim?

Jan 30, 08 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

well, the bottom of the page ... or if someone gets flowers!

Jan 30, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I want a cupcake!

Jan 30, 08 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Tumbles, you're such a tease!

Jan 30, 08 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

That cupcake would so totally hit the spot right now. Just got done with what felt like a very long day. Five, 1 hour meetings pretty much back to back to discuss programming for this new project. It wouldn't have been so bad but I slept worth crap last night and the room where the meeting was held was boiling. My head is mush and swimming all at once.... I'm going to go attempt NOT to think for a half an hour or so.

Jan 30, 08 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Oh and BTW - I was wondering about that SH when I read your mom's post last evening. Love the finished nursery and the quilt. OK enough! I really am going to go rest the brain now.

Jan 30, 08 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

let me tell you how cold it is; all i heard last night were these loud pops, and explosions throughout my house. freaked the cats out. when i came into the office other people, who are natives, complained about the same thing, then our QA guys explained it to us; the nails are moving due to contraction....wild ass stuff.

Jan 30, 08 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

i miss the cold. -20 C was the best time to walk to school. air so pure it'd make you cry.

instead here in tokyo its +10 C. kinda sad.

yes, that's perverse i know.

Jan 30, 08 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

mantaray I want to hear about your flowers. :o)

No really. Do tell.

PS. I would refer to the air you are speaking of not as pure, but as painful!

Jan 30, 08 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I just bought a beautiful phalaenopsis orchid at Trader Joes today. I dont like growing phals, but this one is pink with orange on it....so pretty. It has 16 open blooms on it right now and there are another 16 buds waiting to open

Jan 30, 08 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

That's really wild beta. Maybe that's what I was hearing in the middle of the night at my old place. Every now and then I'd be woken up in the middle of the night by a loud pop in the dead of winter.

Jan 30, 08 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i have flowers . i bought em myself. i love myself. hi mom!

Jan 30, 08 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

@mdler - how successful have you been at maintaining/growing orchids? I've always been so scared of them. Why am I experiencing deja vu with this question?

Jan 30, 08 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tuna

orchids are actually really easy to grow. You have to watch them and make sure that they dont get too hot or too cold, but that is about all. Over watering is the biggest problem that people have with them...they end up rotting the roots

Jan 30, 08 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I remember something like the load popping years ago in them there
Black Hills of South Dakota. The primary tree is the Ponderosa Pine throughout the region. We had a nasty wet fall and then the temps
drops over night to sub zero and stayed there from November till the end of January. Never managed to creep up above zero even during the day. When we would be out cross country skiing we would hear these load popping noises and no one could explain them but come next summer when I was looking for fire wood I found all of these trees which had self distructed as if by some strange force. Well when I found a forester I ask him about it and he said, if you heard
that loud popping noise it was most likely the trees spliting due to
all of the water they were soaking up into their system and with the intense cold snap the water expanded beyond what the trees could
handle so the ice just tore them apart. It became known as the,
"Year of the Popping Tree"

Jan 30, 08 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i wanna tell ya bout my FlOwErS!

Jan 30, 08 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tuna

you in the 'Nati???

Jan 30, 08 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Yup mdler I am :o/ Why?

That's a really cool orchid you got tumbles. Might have to look into buying me an orchid for somewhere in my house. I think they are so pretty.

Jan 30, 08 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tuna

these guys are in Illinois.

http://www.orchidsbyhausermann.com/

they have great prices and will ship anywhere (shipped to Cali)

I would look at some PAPHIOPEDILUMS or CATTLEYAS...

I bought one of these a few weeks ago from them and it is now in bloom

dont waste your time buying from Franks (their plants are crap). Stay away from Smith + Hawken cause they are overpriced

The Trader Joes in Kenwood may have some good plants. Anyways, let me know if you have any more questions

Jan 30, 08 9:00 pm  · 
 · 

I'm really beginning to think that mdler is TC's own rennaisance man, he makes floats, knows his orchids, what next do you play the classic guitar?

Its 22:12, puppy is making welps sounds at me to go to bed - so in another classic tumbles move, I'm off to sleep.

Oh btw my PM has verbally offered me a post with his firm - perhaps one of the more successful UK consultant practices. As he puts it, its a long term plan think about it

Jan 30, 08 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

@ mdler me likey what I see in your photo. I'll definitely check that website out.

Atechno - I think I may be right behind you in the "off to bed" dept. I didn't sleep well last night and I hear my book calling my name. Nothing better on a cold winter night than to snuggle under a nice warm down comforter and read a book. Okay, maybe not... but it's up there on the list. Congrats on the verbal offer. That's awesome.

Jan 30, 08 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Remember our debate a few pages back about what to call the years between 2000 and 2009? I heard this one today; clever, slightly childish, and redundantant at the same time:

Two-thousands-es

*shrugg*

Jan 30, 08 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

we have an orchid about to give us flowers....thanks to Mrs. Brazil...it is her gift to me in the Kitchen! I will give you a photo when they do there thing..

Jan 30, 08 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Happy Thursday, everybody, and happy birthday tunamelt!

Off to see the surgeon this afternoon about my bad shoulder. (Actually, my two bad shoulders, since my supposedly "good" shoulder has been in worse pain than the bad one lately.) Wish me luck.

Jan 31, 08 8:28 am  · 
 · 
n_

I have the magically ability to kill any flower/indoor plant within a 10' radius.

Jan 31, 08 9:58 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Obey posters for Obama are now available...

Thanks for reaching out and wanting to get involved with OBEY's effort to support the OBAMA Campaign. Shepard made this image for the purpose of making pasters to be put on the street, with the money coming from prints sales to help fund the effort. For those interested, we will be sending out a care-package of the OBAMA Paster plus some OBEY stickers to be put up on the street. These pasters will be folded, not tubed, and are STRICTLY for street use. We do not expect to see them for sale on EBAY or anywhere else, so we ask that only the seriously dedicated get involved!

If you are interested in helping in the street campaign, we ask that everyone pay for shipping. The Shipping Cost for the materials is going to be approximately $15 (US ONLY). Below is the link to purchase the shipping. Be sure to submit the correct shipping address as there will be no address changes. We are limiting one package per person/household. For those is CA, our goal is to get you the pasters before the California Primary on February 5th, so once you get your package be sure to hit the streets fast. For everyone else you will receive your materials shortly thereafter. This effort will go on as long as supplies last. Be sure to take as many photos as possible of your work on the streets and send them to [email protected] We will try to get as much as we can posted on the website.

Best,

OBEY

To Purchase Shipping please click here:

http://tinyurl.com/2p4faj

Jan 31, 08 10:50 am  · 
 · 
n_

[edit] magical

I've stopped rereading my post before I hit submit. Maybe I should start.

Jan 31, 08 11:08 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Uh, beta....a little background please? What the heck is "OBEY" and why should I use these for Obama?

Jan 31, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 
n_

I think the OBEY campaign should create a different spin-off campaign when dealing with items political or religious in nature. This spin-off should immediately change its name from OBEY to something less threatening. The word OBEY is terribly loaded with fear, and threat. I feel the word appropriately describes the governmental system of a totalitarian dictator, moreso, than the hopes, ideals, and prospect of Obama's progressive democracy.

Anyone else agree?

Jan 31, 08 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

it is great to seeing architects et al exercising their political support. I just had a meeting with the chief minister and was given a bit of advice from a co-worker, to cautious not to give too much - just enough to answer the question.

Jan 31, 08 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

sure n_, OBEY does have that whole big brother thing going. shepard fairey was inspired by the cult classic move they live and the much recognized OBEY giant is a drawing of andre the giant.

i think most people of a younger generation know exactly what the brand OBEY is and wouldn't necessarily associate it with totalitarian regimes.

however, i'm sure most people over 25 or so have no idea what OBEY is and i can see the faux news spin on it now...

Jan 31, 08 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

but that's just my .2 pesos!

Jan 31, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
http://obeygiant.com/main.php/

please...look and think.

Jan 31, 08 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Yes, but the majority of Americans don't think. They'll see this well-designed poster that reads progress then get up worked up when they learn that the campaign itself is called OBEY.

Jan 31, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, sad but true... =\

seriously, i'm just waiting for bill o'reilly to mention this.

Jan 31, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

bill-o is rolling turd, he gathers no thoughts.

Jan 31, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: