Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

fantatstic, LB!

that is nice news indeed.

i am amazed at how pecha kucha has caught on outside tokyo of late. that may be mark and ingrid's legacy more than their buildings even (ok, maybe not...) your presentation sounds coolio. would love to see it (online you-tube vid in works?). the ones here in tokyo are quite good and is always a blast to see other architects. makes tokyo seem small. everyone i know is in one room !

Jan 27, 08 10:22 am  · 
 · 
****melt

LB - The topic of your presentation sounds utterly interesting. I'd love to see what you end up putting together. That's also cool news about the contractor. Congrats.

Jan 27, 08 10:32 am  · 
 · 

I had a great friday too, though overwhelmed by the contrast between the chaos at work and the success of my lecture at the U of MN - hence my earlier sigh.

the lecture was to the MLA capstone studio on site analysis to poetry and give a 45 minute synopsis of all the landscape urbanism tricks and methods taught to us during my three years at penn. if my east coast bluntness/non-passive aggressive attitude scares the students, they need to learn that there is a bigger world out there then mpls. My favorite bit of advice to them was don't be scared of failur and to fail often and early in designing their projects.

ok, back to reviewing ASLA Expo education session abstracts. I have till the end of the month to review the 40 some-odd proposals and approve less then half of them.

Jan 27, 08 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

thats great lb. how we came so close on friday and didnt hook up is beyond me!!! i was right across the street from that lecture!!!! and you were at my office too !!!!

Jan 27, 08 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Archi-Oddity Part Two

Liberty (to be sung to Styx's classic power ballad "Lady")

Liberty, when you're posting, we're smiling
Give us all your thoughts
Your comments build me up when i'm drinking
your insights make the pregnant girls anxieties fade
Liberty, from the moment you log on
Sitting in Matt's basement all alone
You give all the friendship I needed
7000 posts, and only three that made me groan

'Cause you're my liberty of archinect
Love shines in Mdler's eyes
Sparkling, witty and insightful
You're our Liberty

Liberty, gets turned on by concrete
and she's got really great style
On the jobsite, with her superman belt buckle
She can really talk about tile

Liberty of Indianapolis
Love shines in mdler's eyes
Sparkling,wityy, and insightful
You're our Liberty!!!

Congrats on 7000 worthwhile contributions, my great friend!!!

Jan 27, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
aml

happy 7000 lb! actually that was pretty close to steven's!

Jan 27, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

lb was first.

Jan 27, 08 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Hey everyone! Just wanted to drop in and say that rfuller is still alive. I'm at work every morning around 6, and then I get off around noon, just in time to head home, shower, and make it to class by 1ish. Then after I get out at 5 every day, I run home, make dinner, and get started on homework. Once I finish homework I've got plans to draw for my freelance stuff. Then its off to bed. The weekends are spent either heading off to work on the lake house and/or doing home work and house work. Its super busy, but I'm having fun, learning a ton, and making a little money in the process.

Congrats on 7k lb and sw!

Hope you guys have a fantastic week.

Jan 27, 08 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Good to hear you are alive rfuller and are enjoying school. For anyone who hasn't seen it, I thoroughly encourage checking out this thread. The furniture people are posting photos of are utterly awesome. I am in full amazement of the everyone's talent. Check out mana's table. GORGEOUS!!!!!! lletdownl's lamp is freaking cool as all get out too.

Jan 27, 08 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

truly talented people. i need to find a site that doesnt make me feel so useless!

Jan 28, 08 8:48 am  · 
 · 

i am writing this post from ohio where i have been since thursday for the passing of tina's mom, who was my good friend. she was 87 y.o. and was from bellingham, northumberland in england. she spoke proper english and came to ashland, ohio during war as a home economics exchange teacher and met tina's father. there was a service in the episcopal church last saturday and it was sad. american flag and union jack in front of the family home are half staff and she was very much loved by many people in this town.

i wrote a quick and unedited episode of abracadabra, faia as a distraction and am going back to los angeles tonight to resume my daily grunge.

i am glad gray kitty showed up which i thought she would.
happy birthday vado. and speedy recovery to steven's #2 princess.

i am writing this from a modem connection and thanks in advance for your sympathies.

Jan 28, 08 11:03 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

orhan so sorry for the passing of your loved one.

Jan 28, 08 11:14 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Many sympathies you both you and Tina on the passing of her mom. :o( Have a safe flight back home to LA.

Jan 28, 08 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

Orhan
My sympathies to you and Tina....

Jan 28, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

O- Condolences and safe journeys...

Jan 28, 08 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

congratulations Liberty Bell...you are on a cloud much higher than I
condolences to Tina & Orhan, my sympathies on your loss

speaking of loss, puppy and I are without love (SO left for Hawaii); so we spent the night cuddled together. But to bounce back we went for an early morning walk to my new house.

speaking of new house, I just signed my mortgage and almost shit my pants. I realise that I will have to keep working for the next 20 years or sell this house at a profit of 27% ack....poverty sucks. I now know what my father always hinted at me marrying rich

Jan 28, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Techno, I married rich. It's pretty great. You should totally look into it.

Jan 28, 08 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

rfuller- any siblings?

Jan 28, 08 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

I should ask my gf is wants to take care of me, then I can spend more time with puppy, building randoms, and ofc chatting on a'nect

Jan 28, 08 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

tk, just one, and she's married with 2 kiddos.

It's nice being back in studio today. I actually have a little free time to get on TC. I had to come straight to school from work today, smelling like diesel and saw dust. Oh the joys of working construction.

Jan 28, 08 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

If anybody knows of any eligible Rockefeller, Kennedy, or Pritzker heiresses, I'm on the market.

Apparently I have some Stuyvesant ancestry, and one of my great-grandfathers co-founded the Hillerich & Bradsby Baseball Bat Company (makers of the Louisville Slugger -- My mother's grandfather was Hillerich), but don't ask me whatever happened to the family fortune. Somehow it always seems to go down some other branch of the family tree.

My right shoulder still hurts like hell, and my left shoulder (supposedly the good one) has been bothering me in a major way, too. I see the doc on Thursday... Hopefully my arms won't fall off in the meantime. I have a friend who was born without arms and she uses her feet to do everything. She makes it look easy, but she's had much more practice than me.

Internet service is still out at my apartment building. All the tenants are apparently affected, but the cable company still insists there's no outage, and they're refusing to send any technicians out until next weekend. Each time my roommate calls customer service, they tell him that nobody else from the building has reported an outage, but we know for a fact that other tenants in the building have called them repeatedly. Fucking worthless jackasses. Gotta love a company that enjoys a monopoly.

Jan 28, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

well jack hillerich (the 3rd, i think) i$ $till doing FINE here in loui$ville, lig.

sorry orhan. safe trip home and best to tina and family.

Jan 28, 08 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

rfuller-
already happily married with kid on the way too. I was just trying to help the single folks strike it rich!

Jan 28, 08 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Orhan, it is sad to lose those who we only now are realizing have so much wisdom. Condolences to you and send my love to Tina.

That "parents in grad school" thread has me feeling snippy, no, let's just go ahead and say it: it has me feeling bitchy, so I'm staying away.

LiG, I have a Hanes in my background - the drinking one, thus no Hanes family fortune came down to me! But I do love me a good drink...maybe that's the positive inheritance I received from him, and one I should be glad for.

It's like that little zen story I've been reading Angus lately: you can't know what is good luck or bad luck.

Jan 28, 08 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Gin, wealth does bring lots of problems with it....like what the hell to do with all that money!

Jan 28, 08 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

as i posted here a year or so ago. i found out that a friend of mine who i had lost touch with married the daughter of one of the founders of oracle. the last time i talked to him he was living in a san francisco flop house writing his novel. now he lives in a 18,000 square foot crib in pacific heights.

Jan 28, 08 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

My condolences Orhan, and safe travels on your way back from Ohio. Congrats on the pecha kucha, lb.

I'm sorry I don't have anything more profound to say. I'll take a rich man though, if anyone is handing them out.....

Jan 28, 08 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

wK - you would be a great 'green' trophy wife for some hollywood celeb needing to mend their badboy image.... not that I'd recommend it.

Jan 28, 08 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tumbles

I dress well

Jan 28, 08 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
GeEkYcHiC

for ms. tumbles. btw, i had glasses just like the ones feature in the video...

Jan 28, 08 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
SuPeRgEeK!
Jan 28, 08 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

so i need to start dressing like david byrnes?

Jan 28, 08 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

or david lee roth...

Jan 28, 08 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

what car would thread central buy?

ball joints are going on my current crappy car. not worth putting any more money in it, so I have to buy a new one.

I need a good used car for ~$10k or less that gets decent gas miliage and don't suck. model suggestions? I liked the mazda3 but it seems to be just out of my price range.

Jan 28, 08 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i think Volvos are great used cars, they are like tanks and can go forever...

Jan 28, 08 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I love my Mazda. Also very happy with our Scion XB - the first generation, the new models are ugly. You might be able to find a used one of those?

...might as well jump!

Jan 28, 08 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

orhan, so sorry for your wife's loss and yours. i was in utah recently for my grandmother's funeral, the last grandparent alive. quite sad.

Jan 28, 08 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm working on my Pecha Kucha talk and listening to Zeppelin. vado, should I include a pic of a bare-chested Robert Plant as one of my slides? As inspiration and androgyny, perhaps?

Jan 28, 08 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

how bout a bare chested me?

Jan 28, 08 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

inspiration and agony perhaps?

Jan 28, 08 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

for LB

Jan 28, 08 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Just you wait, vado, that image may actually show up.....

Jan 28, 08 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Wait, are you blowing your nose up there?

Jan 28, 08 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

manamana, where are you? My roommate is selling her car. It's a Mazda Protege.....the hatchback they released right before they did the Mazda 3's. It's a cute little car, she's selling it for about 8k, I think.

Jan 29, 08 1:28 am  · 
 · 

mana, if you're in the Seattle area, you can get a 2001 Jetta for $5k

Jan 29, 08 1:48 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

rationalist, I should buy your car.

Jan 29, 08 2:24 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

WonderK, you should go for whoever buys my TED ticket. Whoever has 34K to drop on a weekend in CA must be rolling.

C.

Jan 29, 08 7:15 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I hope it flies upward to at least $75K, Cameron! Or more!

Jan 29, 08 7:24 am  · 
 · 

that beatnix video is pure brilliance. those guys should be stars.

lb, you've had, what, like, a DAY to prepare for this pecha kucha thing?! impossible. glad i don't have to do it.

Jan 29, 08 7:32 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

damn sitting here reading this thread on Tuesday morning and TAlking HEads is on the Radio.....guess it means it will be a great
Day....

Jan 29, 08 7:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: