Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

techno, what about me? Don't all the angels deserve some chicken soup?

Thank the powers that be for understanding clients.... I'm doing a phone meeting this afternoon as a substitute for a regular meeting, so that I can be home with a cup of hot tea and the heat on high. I understand that this may have been done in the interest of self-preservation on the client's part, but I appreciate it just the same!

Jan 24, 08 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

SW - good to hear everything went well.

Jan 24, 08 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Have you guys seen this?!?

New LEED Protactinium Level

It's so funny. Especially for you, tunamelt, tee hee hee.

Jan 24, 08 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yesterday some bug flattened me and now i may not take vado retro day off. :( today i am my oldself again and just did my taxes while listening to the nightly business report. don't worry im not turning republican. uncle sam owes me 1200 bucks. throw that six hundred in for the stimulus package georgie.

Jan 24, 08 7:31 pm  · 
 · 

sorry ap. was out when you posted that...great building though. toyo ito did one beside it that is not as memorable. and of course mario botta musuem is right across the street. oddly, that house is his most famous building, and he worked for decades after that...

hard to watch kids in pain. my wife is better at it than i am. glad your daughter is all better, steven.

Jan 24, 08 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Coldest night of the season so far. Whoopie!!!!

Jan 24, 08 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

is it me or does Mittens Romney look like a boiled turd?

Jan 24, 08 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

Thanks folks. Other than spending the last two hours in the vet emergency (one of our pups ate some chocolate birthday desert - she's fine) I've had a pretty grand day.

So who's up for cupcakes?

Jan 24, 08 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
AP
Jan 25, 08 12:33 am  · 
 · 

mitt romney is mr. hanky?

yeah i can believe that.

Jan 25, 08 3:39 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Happy Birthday to ME!

Jan 25, 08 9:04 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Uhg, I suck: I'm a day late in saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN!!! so then it sounds like I forgot to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY VADO! (but I didn't forget your b-day, vado, really).

Jan 25, 08 9:26 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

Vado is ageless.

Vado does not have birthdays.

Vado is.

vado was.

vado will be.

Jan 25, 08 10:17 am  · 
 · 
aml

late happy birthday john, and happy birthday vado!

Jan 25, 08 10:21 am  · 
 · 
n_

Feliz Cumpelanos.

Jan 25, 08 10:24 am  · 
 · 

happy birthday vado

rationalist...i'll be right over to make some chicken soup...would you like dumplings in there? I make a green onion soup too. Hope all you angels are feeling better, including SW's little one

I'm going to be sad SO leaves for 3 weeks in Hawaii on Sunday. I've been trying not to think about it - but sniff sniff. At least I get to look after the puppy though.

Jan 25, 08 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Hey, Techno, cheer up! As long as you have her puppy, she has to come back to you.

Jan 25, 08 10:49 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

still alive

Jan 25, 08 11:28 am  · 
 · 

Hurray for Vado and John....

Happy Birthday(s)!!

Jan 25, 08 11:43 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Happy birthday Vado!!!! John, I'm up for some cupcakes.

@AP - Did you take that photo? That is hilarious.

Jan 25, 08 12:10 pm  · 
 · 

thanks Sarah, you are right - she wouldn't leave puppy for too long!

I think I'm going to start a puddles thread. He's (or she) is the only archinector really close to me, unless you count Javier when he's chilling in PR. So in theory we could have our own archinect link up - island style. But I don't know what island he/she's on. Maybe I should stalk him.

Jan 25, 08 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

Oh I finally got my first copy of DWELL since the arrival of Geoff Manaugh as editor. I am happy. All is well in the world

Jan 25, 08 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Everybody, please send GREAT Winning VIBES to Daytona Florida. Its Husbands First Race of the season, and we qualified 4th and 28th.

If you are really interested, or really bored at work, you can watch the race here and the live timing here

Cross your fingers! Oh, and if you do want to cheer, we're in the ST class, numbers 85 and 86 cars.

Jan 25, 08 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh, and Techno, if you do stalk Puddles, be sure to catalogue it here for our entertainment.

Jan 25, 08 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Good vibes to your husband, Sarah. It's a small world - I have a client who has a client who is in the race (in some capacity - I'm not sure what exactly). So if my client's client does well, then my client will do well, so I'll do well!

So good vibes for the whole dang thing. But especially for little Abram's dad.

Jan 25, 08 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Dang. Sorry, Steven.

Jan 25, 08 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

LB what's your call? Should I stalk puddles as well?

Jan 25, 08 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Stupid Gran Am, they took the camera off the air! Now how am I suppose to 'watch' the race.

Jan 25, 08 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I've been stalking puddles and a few of his friends for quite awhile now, so why not - the more (crazies) the merrier, right? ;-)

Jan 25, 08 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Well apparently somebody decided to set their pent house on fire, and thats why I cant watch the race. How Rude!

Jan 25, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Well, the building did say Monti-Carlo, but now the whole top is burned away. Sucks to be them.

Jan 25, 08 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

OK, they got 13 and 14th. Not bad, but they were in 5th and 10th 1.5hours ago. I wonder what happened.

Jan 25, 08 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
Jan 25, 08 6:23 pm  · 
 · 

Ahhhhhhh, friday evening has arrived!

Jan 25, 08 7:07 pm  · 
 · 

and so has...

Jan 25, 08 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Woo-hoo! Happy 7K Steven!!!

Jan 25, 08 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

thanks for the bday wishes everyone i am a little buzzed.

Jan 26, 08 12:26 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Archi-Oddity....(Part One)
To be sung to David Bowie's classic tune Space Oddity...

Archinect to Steven Ward
Archinect to Steven Ward
You've reached 7k now here is your reward

Archinect to Steven Ward
Commencing comments, the game is on
Press the preview button and may Pauls love be with you...

Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five,
Four, three, two, one, submit

This is Archinect to Steven Ward
Youve really made your case
And the kids love those Architecture sucks shirts you wear
Its time to leave for the suburbs if you dare

This is Steven Ward to Archinect
Im specing a one hour rated door
And Im floating in a most peculiar way
And the starbucks tastes very different today

For here
Am I sitting in a hybrid
Far from my downtown
Planet earth still spins
Do nice guys ever win?

Though Im past 7000 posts
I still have much to say
About buildings and planning and music ya know
I tell my wife and she just asks about vado retaro...

Archinect to Steven Ward
Are your circuits dead, or are you just bored?
Can you hear me, Steven Ward?
Can you....

For here
Am I sitting in a hybrid
Far from my downtown
Planet earth still spins
Do nice guys ever win?

Jan 26, 08 12:44 am  · 
 · 

woo hoo! i'm very honored, vado, to have been the subject of one of your re-creations. sing along, everybody!

lb and i were plotting to hit 7000 together but we weren't sure if the resonance wouldn't cause the new madrid fault to shake open a new crevasse between louisville and indy and we'd bring the rest of the country down into it with us.

so we just, you know, didn't risk it.

Jan 26, 08 7:58 am  · 
 · 

nice to have the lyricist back on his birthday! happy 7k too!

Jan 26, 08 10:55 am  · 
 · 
aml

happy 7k steve!!!

Jan 26, 08 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

i missed vado's bday!

happy bday vado.

in fact, happiness all around (but with special attention to vado so he doesn't feel his special day is coopted).

Jan 26, 08 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

happy 7,000 posts Steven. That's alot. I must say something about the high number of posts by our veteran archinectors...y'all need to get to work.

I almost thought SW was going to get his poor injured little girl to hold her fingers up to show the post count.

Jan 26, 08 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Jan 26, 08 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

her injured finger only allows her to show '1' for the next two weeks.

Jan 26, 08 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

SW - she's showing you the place to hold in her heart. #1 :o)

I spent the afternoon weeding out old files in my home office and attempting to do my taxes. I failed miserably at the latter. I have no idea why, but doing my own taxes has always caused my brain to short circuit and shut down. Too many forms I think. I do them every year and live in fear that I'll be audited. In any case my friend is dating a CPA who has offered to teach me to do my taxes without stressing myself out. Got everything all thrown into a folder am ready to go for our tax session tomorrow afternoon. Yippee!!!! God I feel pitiful.

Jan 26, 08 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Happy birthday Vado, and happy 7000 Steven.

Internet service at my apartment building has been down for two days, and I've been going apeshit. (These words are coming to you from the Apple Store on 14th Street.) FWIW, Cablevision is an absolutely shitty cable company with rotten service.

I may have to put in lots of overtime at the office next week just so I can get online.

Jan 26, 08 7:48 pm  · 
 · 

Happy 7000 posts Steven! Happy Birthday vado!

architechno, that was awfully nice of you to arrange that picture for Steven. Giant comma, though. Ha.

Jan 26, 08 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I had a fantastic Friday night (I'm sad you didn't get my message about it, vado) at a lecture hosted by IndyNOMA (National Organization of Minority Archs). It was actually two speakers: Craig Wilkins (U of Michigan) spoke on the need to get the views of minorities better into the curriculum and mainstream view of architecture, especially as relates to public space. Hector LaSala spoke on his work with architecture students doing building projects for non-profits. Beautiful work and the arch program at U of Louisiana Lafayette looks pretty amazing.

Then we all went out for drinks and talked with a bunch of students, which is fun and were events I always considered very valuable when I was in school - I felt very aware of the need to act somewhat like a mentor there, in addition to dri nking and yammering!

I also found out I'll be presenting at the Indy Pecha Kucha, which is Friday, even though I'm not on the program. So I need to throw together a presentation now! Steven, i'm using a few images from the GSA inspiration slideshow you put together, and will be combing the Images pages here on Archinect for more. My talk is called Architecture is Both and it's about the intersection of art and science in built work.

Also Friday one of my favorite contractors took me to lunch to ask if I'd be interested in working on a couple projects with him for which the client want to work with an architect - duh, yes!! Things are looking OK for us.

I think Steven has surpassed me in posts, yes?

Jan 27, 08 9:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: