Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Sarah Hamilton

That was my thought, but apparently, after researching, its much less interesting than it sounds. It just means the fog that touches stuff, like roads, ect, freezes, making the overpasses icy, and DFW drivers retarded. Its not actually frozen in mid-air. Pitty, really.

Dec 13, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh, and what did you decide about your coffee dilema?

Dec 13, 07 11:43 am  · 
 · 

Wouldn't it be awesome if Frozen Fog was actually what it sounded like.

Frozen opaque clouds just hanging in the air...Although i guess they wouldn't be hanging.
They would fall...

Dec 13, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Nam - Either that or you'd hit your head on them.

In any case, my hamstrings are still severely tight today. It hurt walking down the stairs this morning.

LIG - I guess the rain we've been having is heading your way. Forecast says it's moving out tonight. YAY!

Dec 13, 07 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I was hoping to buy a 24-oz. compact thermos (one of those longish, bullet-shaped stainless steel ones) last night, but couldn't find anything suitable at Macy's, Bed Bath and Beyond, the Container Store, or Williams-Sonoma.

So, I caved in and visited Starbucks again this morning. The cashier even went so far as to say to me, "You're always in such a bad mood when you come here." Yeah, no shit, Sherlock. Now give me my damn coffee.

I'll probably hit Crate & Barrel on the way home tonight to see if they have the thermos I want. I know Target carries it, but the Bronx is a long ways to go for just a thermos.

At the very least, I need to start going to a Starbucks location where they don't recognize me.

Our "wintry mix" is now coming down in full force outside, and I'll soon be out in the middle of it for my lunch break. I have this incredible craving for chili served in a bread bowl, but I'm not sure where to find it nearby.

Dec 13, 07 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

Macy's, Bed Bath and Beyond, The Container Store, William Sonoma, Crate & Barrel... yikes!

Dec 13, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Just for the record, I didn't wander all over Manhattan yesterday just to look for a thermos.

Williams-Sonoma happened to be on my way during lunch break. I had to stop at Macy's after work anyway to pick up something else. I actually did sort of go out of my way to Bed Bath and Beyond, but again, I also wanted to check on something else. Container Store was across the street, so it was a no-brainer.

I wouldn't want people to think I don't have a life or something.

Dec 13, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Make sure the thermos you get is hollow, and the inside and outer layers either dont touch, or just barely touch at the top only. Learned it on good eats. Of course, since we are architects, we know that air is the best insulator, and thats why the those hollow thermoses work so well.

Dec 13, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

I was actually referring to the stores themselves.. doesn't the big apple have other shopping treats? surely there's a thermos specialty store somewhere!

=)

Dec 13, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

In other news, my boss was just nominated ambassador to Slovenia by George W Knucklehead.

Dec 13, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

There's apparently a small Thermos District in eastern Midtown, but my subway line doesn't go there.

My quest for chili in a bread bowl was unsuccessful, by the way.

Dec 13, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

Gin, no IKEA near you? Seems like a waste not to get the stylish thermos you desire...hold out until Christmas - santa might hook you up.

Sarah, I hope you radiate with confidence in the photograph - embrace your pregnant figure it is beautiful no matter what. But I understand that it is also important to feel as gorgeous as you look.

Hi WonderK...I'm making pizza tonight - I wish you could come over. I'll set a place just in case. And anyother archinect'r that wishes to drop by.

Exhibition is Saturday here's a list of things not yet finished|started: the brochures, the questionnaire, the panels, the banner, the lighting boards, the hanging strips... the tomorrow is going to be fun (sigh)

Dec 13, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
anyone coming to the exhibition?
Dec 13, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

how's this for irony, LIG?

Dec 13, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Funny you bring that up... I actually saw that while in line at Starbucks this morning. It's almost the perfect size, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy it there.

Dec 13, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
emaze
this

is old news, but i can't believe that one hasn't opened in the one you frequent...

Dec 13, 07 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I guess all the Sketch Up people have left the Building!

Dec 13, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

they're all in line at Starbucks!

Dec 13, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

That or their trying to find their bottom....

Dec 13, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

@ architechnophilia
Good luck with the exhibition prep.
Please eat a slice for me.

Dec 13, 07 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Big, big, big day for me tomorrow, full of freaky, important things. Personal, professional, you name it. Please wish me good karma / blessings from above!

Dec 13, 07 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Good karma and/or blessings from above.

This evening I stopped by Paragon Sports by Union Square and found the exact thermos I was looking for:

Independence from Starbucks begins tomorrow! (Assuming I don't forget to bring the thermos.)

Dec 13, 07 11:49 pm  · 
 · 

so I'm done with my first quarter of grad school!!!! I wouldn't say that I'm at the top of my class, but I did learn a lot, so I'm still going to count it as a success. There are a ton of activities on tap for winter break, but mostly I want to make a real effort at self improvement. In the midst of my recurring emotional crises since I left Los Angeles (see my last entry on "Dear Abra" if your clueless, then imagine different variations and progressions of that repeated throughout the last ten weeks), I've done very little towards improving myself. But now I've sort of woken up out of this big emotional funk and am ready to put some work into me of the non-intellectual variety. The current list includes:

*working out several times a week
*cooking and healthy northwestern food
*finding every sample of every stupid skincare product possible, and trying them ALL. Just because that's the most girly pamper-yourself thing I can think of
*calling all of my friends that I left behind, to talk about them, not just about me
*doing the good daughter thing and visiting my parents
*going to at least one place in the city per week that I haven't been to before

Any other suggestions?

Dec 14, 07 1:46 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

try it

http://www.typogenerator.net/index.php

Dec 14, 07 5:47 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Still awake, and alive. I get to sleep now, though. Briefly.

Dec 14, 07 5:49 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

wake up! drink some coffee!

Dec 14, 07 5:55 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
Dec 14, 07 6:03 am  · 
 · 

hey all...I'm printing my panels and keeping my fingers crossed that there will be no obvious problems. I did forget to buy black ink - luckily most of it is coloured. But at almost 6ft long it may turn out to be an issue at the end. It's about 10.30 and the first print took 15 minutes to print and 5 minutes to dry (its still drying in fact). Everyone please please wish me luck.

On another note - the pizzas turn out okay, and in the middle of the night we went for the slices (cold) that remained. We had a slight problem with the crust as the yeast for whatever reason wouldn't react so it was pizza on flat bread. Nonetheless the toppings were fresh pineapple, green peppers and mushrooms (deli ham wasn't but that's okay)

Dec 14, 07 9:26 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm still alive

Dec 14, 07 9:43 am  · 
 · 
John Cline

you sure about that?

Dec 14, 07 9:46 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Hi.
As a non american I must regret I has difficulty understanding what is the exact meaning when [beta]v.4 put this into the Silver Screen Galleri tread ;

"[beta]v.4

Total Entries: 83
Total Comments: 3169

12/14/07 6:25

your dirt is far more offensive. you homophobic asphole."

Is [beta]v.4 realy complaining about the pictures of those beautifull woman, --- how do that make someone homophobic ???

Dec 14, 07 9:54 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Good luck Myriam and Atechno. I'm send going vibes to you both right now.

WonderK - Glad you finally got some sleep. See you soon.

LIG - I just stopped at Starbucks for the first time in a long time and thought of your endeavor to find the thermos. Glad to see you finally found it. Hopefully it worked well for you.

Dec 14, 07 10:00 am  · 
 · 

thanks tuna...

Dec 14, 07 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I sending you good vibes as well, Techno.

And Switching to brewing/bringing your own coffee must've overwhelmed LiG since he hasn't checked in this morning. I hope there were no coffee catastrphies to speak of.

Dec 14, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

brrrrr it was zero degrees outside as I drove to the office. at least the sun is shining. maybe that's why beta is picking fights just to stay warm.

Dec 14, 07 11:31 am  · 
 · 
manamana

so the office christmas party is in another city this year...everyone just left for the airport.

I couldn't go due to a non-work related thing tonight....so what happens? everyone dumps their shit on me as they run out the door. I have 3 days worth of work to do by 3pm.

I swear I work at one of the most childish, petty, reactionay, insecure, inefficent, and idiotic offices anywhere. I can't wait to find a new job after new years

Dec 14, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Brought my own coffee today, which went well. Changing my morning habits is almost impossible for me, but I'll try to keep this up.

Looks like I started at the right time. As I walked to work from the subway station, coffee-filled thermos in my backpack, the entire sidewalk in front of the Starbucks was blocked off with yellow tape because of falling ice from the building above. There was no way to get to the Starbucks entrance, and the store was empty. Serves them right.

Funny thing: As I'm typing this, the head of marketing just came around and gave each of us our own coffee mug with the firm's logo on it. (Our attempt to "green" the office by getting rid of the disposable paper cups we normally use.) I just hope they spring for a dishwasher when we build our new office.

Dec 14, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i had a hazelnut skim latte from starbucks that tasted pretty damn good.

Dec 14, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

all is well with the universe

Gin has a thermos filled with hot coffee of his choosing and a new mug to go with it, whilst Starbucks has fallen ice

I've printed 6.5 sheets of urban proposals for our presentation without any worry. Pray the remaining 0.5 gets done too. The printers doing our brochures have also given us the green light and we may have 500 well printed brochures for tomorrow.

Dec 14, 07 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

hey gin, give me your addie and I'll try sending you a pack of BMC

Dec 14, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

mmmmm. blue mountain. mmmmmmm.

Dec 14, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
n_

LIG - My firm recently did the same thing to become more 'green.'

[bitter comment] I find it totally hilarious that they are willing to buy 800 mugs to 'green' themselves but refused to pay $60 a month for cardboard, plastic, glass, and aluminum recycling when I presented the information to them. [/end bitter comment]

Dec 14, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

Yes Blue Mountain is amazing.

I worked at a restuarant once where 10 lbs were accidentally orderd.

that is alot of very expensive coffee. the employees all got themselves a small stash at cost before the bossman realized it should have been priced higher.

Delicious...

Dec 14, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

arg. and now one of the places I have to go doesn't exist according to google maps

Dec 14, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

LIG, we have firm mugs as well and most people who drink coffee around here have they're own cups. But there's one guy who refuses to give up his precious styrofoam. So we have stacks of those as well.

Dec 14, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

in good news though,

not having anyone here means I can rock out with my spiffy new headphones.

Dec 14, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

I had a pair of those until I lost them. =(

Dec 14, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hey techno i drink coffee too :(

Dec 14, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

If anyone wants to spring a christmas gift on me, i'd love a new pair!

Dec 14, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

damn, that must have sucked.

I never thought about losing them...I've only ever had giant sennheisers that were pretty tough to misplace. This is my first jump to canalphones (which I like, but I'm still trying to get the fit right)

Dec 14, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: