Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

liberty bell

Hi farmer! It's nice to see you on TC!!

And Happy Birthday Orhan! Getting better and better and still even better.

Sep 23, 07 9:12 am  · 
 · 

second that!

Sep 23, 07 9:45 am  · 
 · 

thank you sooo much. there is nothing better than waking up and be sang happy birthday by tina and the puppies and now seeing my really close friends wishing me happy birthday in best of all threads in www, TC.
thank you... you have made my day already...

nice to see you farmer...

Sep 23, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 

Orhan happy birthday! I hope you have a great day...

Sep 23, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
aml

happy birthday abra!

Sep 23, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

see you there @ 8.
a personal birthday event for last 15 years.
thanks for the messeges.

Sep 23, 07 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

enough time to come back home and catch my favorite show @ 10.

Sep 23, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 

happy birthday O! (you may be in a food coma after all that beef)

vado may be deepest member of archinect, but paul is the big green head... please come back vado!

been way to busy writing this past month for my own good.
Tonight, I just finished revising drafts of policies on Livable Communties & Public Participation for the ASLA, ahhhhhhhhhh. Looking forward to the conference call that will take up to two hours out of the middle of my day tomorrow. All these deadlines outside of work! Few weeks ago there was my penultimate draft for my essay in Infrastructural Cities and another policy on Transportation Corridors which got my omnibus treatment. Now I get to rest in the evenings for a few weeks till Greenbuild. (stay tuned to green thread central & here for more on my greenbuild adventure.)

I think I may try to catch another episode of survivorman - g'night TC!

Sep 23, 07 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Just arrived back from Chicago. My beloved Eames chair has taken its rightful place in the living room, and the rest of my stuff is still in the truck outside.

The trip was mostly uneventful, except that the flight from Newark to Chicago on Friday ended being a flight from Newark to LaGuardia to Chicago due to a mechanical problem on the plane, and my drive back ended up taking two hours longer thanks to poor signage in New Jersey (they don't bother telling you that trucks are prohibited in the Lincoln Tunnel until you're almost at the tunnel itself) and a huge traffic jam on the George Washington Bridge.

In other news, I received word from Seattle yesterday evening that my sister had a miscarriage. Please keep her in your thoughts.

I'll post more on my blog later.

Sep 23, 07 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

happy birthday orhan/abra!

Sep 23, 07 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

ditto here - hope you had a wonderful day Orhan!

Vado, please come back. We miss you!

Sep 23, 07 11:15 pm  · 
 · 

was orhan here on his bday? or out having fun? hope it was a good one, oa!!!

Sep 24, 07 7:35 am  · 
 · 
mdler

what happened to vado?

Sep 24, 07 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I have been in LA since Wednesday and haven't been checking in until today. I am baffled with questions.

What happened? What's this moderation talk? Where is the Vads?

Sep 24, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

n_, check the "should archinect be moderated" thread for details. Also, you should have called me! We could have at least waved to each other on the road :o)

Sep 24, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

hi tumbles

Sep 24, 07 4:36 pm  · 
 · 

I don't really feel like checking the moderation thread.... so I'll just state here, I hope vado comes back. We don't always get along, in fact sometimes I feel like he's following me to every thread I post in and mocking me, but hey, I don't really like the idea of people being driven away for no good reason either.

Anyway, obviously I'm alive.

I fiiiiiinally got to register for classes today after meeting with my advisor, and true to form I've determined to register for an insanely hard schedule that I have been advised against. The problem is that they've decided to offer all of the good classes in the fall quarter only, which means I'll only get to take four of them. And that's only by taking two studios this quarter on top of my TA internship and grad seminar. Soooooo, I might go MIA for 10 weeks or so while I try to juggle that.

Sep 24, 07 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Hey guys, which regular posters are from Texas? Anyone from Dallas specifically? I think OldFogey might be... I believe SarahHamilton is in Houston, and ochona (I miss ochona!) is in Austin... Anyone in Dallas? Please email me.

Sep 24, 07 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

rfuller is in TX somewheres, though god knows where...

Sep 24, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

it appears that vado is back for all those interested.

Sep 24, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

i gotta go find vado's entry. i was worried. hope he was just out having fun.

just saw this: http://archinect.com/jobs/description.php?id=64913_0_30_0_C yeah. sometimes the middle of the country sucks. i'd be qualified for so many more cool positions on the left and right coasts.

Sep 24, 07 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Dubbers, I'm sorry I didn't call. I have failed you.

It was my sister's birthday so we had some friends from San Francisco and San Diego drive down and up, respectively. I didn't have a bunch of free time to do my own thing. But, of course, I was able to sneak in my biannual trip to Hennessey + Ingalls.

Sep 24, 07 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Sarah Hamilton is in Dallas. I'm in Houston

Sep 24, 07 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

But I'm not really a regular poster, though

Sep 24, 07 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

And apparently Vado has gone missing. That's what I get for working today.

Sep 24, 07 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

hys- 432 times a regular round these parts, partner.

vado, you had me worried that somebody would need to revise the lyrics to the day they banned john devlin for you.

Sep 24, 07 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

In case anyone missed it and wants to see some achingly beautiful architecture, Peter Zumthor's Kolumba Museum in Cologne is featured [/url=http://archinect.com/news/article.php?id=64734_0_24_0_C]in the news[/url].

This brick detail......

....it makes me want to weep with joy.

I've always had a thing for quiet masonry walls, but this.....it's just perfect. Perfect.

Sep 24, 07 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oops botched the link becuse I'm so overcome....

Sep 24, 07 10:33 pm  · 
 · 

Vado I want to hear about your flowers.

Sep 24, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

My 400+ always seems so inconsequential.

Sep 24, 07 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

So holy shit, I dun know if you guys saw it last night, but the Star Wars / Family Guy episode kills.

Apparently the hole that blows up the Death Star was an aesthetic choice by the architect.

And the 'inside references about the Los Angeles real estate market' had me laughing!!!

Sep 25, 07 1:23 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Applesauce.....is it on YouTube anywhere?

Just saw most of the season premiere of Heroes. Yay! It's back.

Also, I have a roommate! Yay!

Sep 25, 07 1:25 am  · 
 · 

i was also drooling on my desk about that zumthor project yesterday.

sometimes i feel like people like him and people like me are in different professions altogether.

i got scolded (yes, like a child) yesterday - not once but twice - for delaying release of drawing for bid because i thought they weren't ready. i determined that delay of a week could drastically reduce the need for multiple addenda and the probability of change order issues later. i made sure this decision would not affect the construction schedule in any way. it was my professional judgment that all of us - school district, facilities director, architects, consultants, construction manager - would be better served if we just spent a week making a more complete and coordinated set of drawings.

i hate being treated like a child when i'm at work.

Sep 25, 07 7:23 am  · 
 · 

ack sometimes life comes crashing back to reality

I had my first day as an urban planner. It was a great day granted kinda busy and most of it was in a different capacity.

But when i finally made it home I was so burned out and tired. Anyway I get into my bedroom and notice my security box is missing. Turns out someone was scoping my house and has walked out with my passport, wallet, credit cards, etc - pretty much anything that identifies me is gone. So I'm stuck here and can't go anywhere until its returned. I'm shocked.

I had the police over in the evening, and they woke me up this morning at about 6am. They are supposed to be on their way over here to do some fingerprinting so I'm off work (on my second day of my second job). I'm just hear sitting in a pair of shorts with no mood to do anything - albeit I have loads to do including going to the bank

sigh

Sep 25, 07 9:47 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

SW- now you have permission to throw a tantrum and stick out your tongue. there are advantages to being a kid.

Sep 25, 07 9:48 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh, crap architechno....that is terrible news. Terrible.

I hate scumbags who steal!!!!!

Any possibility of a cute lady cop being sent over to help crack the case? That might be a benefit...

I'm really sorry to hear it. Hope things get resolved soon.

Sep 25, 07 9:56 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

thazz a total drag techno!

Sep 25, 07 10:07 am  · 
 · 
****melt

That's an absolutely stunning building. Thanks for sharing. Airchitechno - that's horrible to hear. It always amazes me the balls people have to go into others homes and take stuff.

Sep 25, 07 10:27 am  · 
 · 

so I just had CSI over here doing fingerprints and its occurred to me that they never show you the person who has to clean up after. There's black powder everywhere - and I can't remove it just yet, because some more officers are coming over to take my official statement - wtf? What was that I gave last night then? Ack....time to call the bank.

Sep 25, 07 10:40 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

techno, I'm so sorry. You have to get your passport back so you can come to LA though. I'm just saying.

Sep 25, 07 10:54 am  · 
 · 

hah hah dub darling that's all I keep thinking

Sep 25, 07 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I just discovered my passport has expired and I'm to leave for Canada in a little over a week. This all came about because of an article in the New York Times on Sunday. There was this big article about how if you travel into Canada and are an American Citizen you have to have a Passport and vis vera to enter the United States from Canada. So I'm panicing and the more I read the more I get confused. Seems like it is only if your in an Airplane one will need a passport. Seems if it is ok to have a birthcertific and a drivers license as long if your travels are by land or by sea. Well I'm headed by Train so I'm keeping my fingers crossed they will allow passage when I get to the border otherwise it might be one hell of a long road trip.

Sep 25, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

it's my turn to cook tonight and I am cooking up a huge pot of bean/barley soup:

browned 1/2 kg stewing beef with 2 diced onions and 2 sticks of celery cut up
added 3/4 cup washed pot barley and a 450g pkg of dried black-eyed peas I had soaking overnight
added 4 c. of my Ma's frozen turkey stock, thawed
4 c. of Campbell's free range chicken stock
topped off the pot with water

it's been simmering very low all day.
around 4pm or so I will add some cut up baby carrots from my Ma's garden and about 1 1/2 c. of cut up turnip

the house smells like heaven

we will dine at 5 pm.

a lot of chopping etc. but it's worth it

diced canteloupe for dessert.
wish I cd invite techno over to join us.

Sep 25, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i just got a new passport about a month ago. two weeks ago i got a letter saying they had received my application and i could check the status online> wtf?

Sep 25, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

ahh farmer if I could I would be there in a heartbeat - I reserve the right to eat meat when it is accompanied with good company

Sep 25, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Much funny craziness on the forums today, which makes me want to repost this comment of formfunction33's that Steven reposted awhile ago:

Archinectors are like a pack of hungry wolves sometimes: cynical, overly critical, indolent, brash, drunken wolves. I love you guys.

Stephanie's All the Right Angles thread is an instant classic!

Sep 25, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Since most people check in here, I figured I'd post this here instead of repeating myself on both the hotrod and stereotype threads...

Husband traded in his truck and 96 cobra conv. for an 08 GT, and sold the rusty hatchback, so now we only have two mustangs - the new one, and a 91 4 cylinder (shouldn't even count as a mustang), and we only have three cars instead of 5!!!!!

Its a good thing we had a long driveway at the rear of the house.

Sep 25, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I went to the Colombian Consulate on Friday to renew my passport. They said it would take 2 years to process my new passport because I had accidently allowed mine to expire and they need to run an 'extensive' background check.

I asked the lady why it would take that long. She said "They take their time; they process about 5 a day. They work, take a break. They work, drink some coffee. They work, take siesta. They work, listen to cumbia. You know how we are." It made me giggle while simulaneously love being Colombian.

Sep 25, 07 5:35 pm  · 
 · 

I am having some identity issues as well..... the State of Washington doesn't believe that I live here. Among the acceptable forms of proof of address that I don't have are: a concealed weapon permit, military ID, social security check, mortgage document, home owners insurance, security clearance ID from Boeing or Hanford, Tribal ID, my name in the phone book. Among the things I DO have that don't count: copy of my lease, bus pass, bank statement, credit card statement, business or personal mail, online printouts of anything, renters insurance (ok, don't have it, but have been thinking about it).

Now I ask, WTF?! The things they accept are things that are hard to come by, the things they don't are the things an everyday resident will actually have. The one stickler where most people get in on this is utility bills in your name, which are a reasonable document but I don't have because my housemates set up the utilities before I got here.

GAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Sep 25, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: