Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

xtbl

tumbleweed, nothing to laugh @ there.

it's really nice!

ecccchhh, i remember my first portfolio. blurry photographs laid out in ms word!

Jul 20, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 

speaking of portfolios - I'll crunching away doing mine.

hi tumbles!!

Jul 20, 07 7:49 pm  · 
 · 

its so difficult not having wireless...now I have to be stuck around the lappy to make constant TC posts versus the usual tv/TC/dinner/TC/lounge in hammock/TC/watch sunset TC - bah hopefully tomorrow i can get one

Jul 20, 07 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

I made Katze fine men of archinect calendar (giggle)

but I might have to contribute a more studly photo next time

Jul 20, 07 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

atechno

am I in that thing?

Jul 20, 07 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

uhmm I think so

is that your naked ass?

Jul 20, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

tk survived 9 holes with co-workers, though a few golf balls did land rather close. the score- one ball in the lake and one lost ball (where did it go???). by the last hole, most of the strokes sent the ball in the direction i intended it to go.

it was a radish - very woody and packing heat. now it's adding organic matter to my compost heap.

cris- I'm transitional organic, no chemicals and not much soil amendments beyond a grass clipping mulch, some manure and some 'shroom compost back in the spring. your caterpillars can be picked off and smushed, or you can try BT or another 'natural' pest control - if they really are caterpillars... I'm not bothered by a few bugs eating my plants since I'm trying to increase biodiversity with my wildflowers. without the caterpillars, there'd be no butterflies... the ash would control for slugs and snails- anther mollusk control is crushed egg shells (plus the calcium is good for the soil.

tumbles- i recognize those projects from arch 201, most schools have first year students doing the same sort of compositional exercises. your book is nicer... I had to cut and paste photographs together and then get exotic color copies (at $5/page) back in '90.

Jul 20, 07 9:25 pm  · 
 · 

tk that radish does look a little funky

please check that your caterpillars aren't those that turn into poisonous moths - the have secretions on their bodies that if it makes contact with your skin can cause rashes and irritation.

I'm actually finding use for having a mum whose a trained agriculturalist - now if only someone wanted to know about the different variety of cows.

Jul 20, 07 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

congrats! beta

Jul 20, 07 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

...thanks, now the tough part, the offer...the guy has a lot of incentive to sell it now; him and the fiance carrying 3 mortgages, and he's doing FSBO until monday, when he lists with an agent....so hopefully we can get a deal done.

scary this is.

Jul 20, 07 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

congrats beta, and good luck! It's a beauty!

Jul 21, 07 12:12 am  · 
 · 
KEG

hahaha...I love that we talk about houses like others would talk about children!!

Beta- that is awesome! Big big congrats! I am very envious because it is stunning...

Jul 21, 07 12:50 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

thanks everyone.

btw, has anyone heard from Orhan? it's been a while...

Jul 21, 07 5:33 am  · 
 · 

Beta congrats - hope everything moves smoothly. And I'm loving that backyard for archinect gatherings (but we'll be replacing the plastic chaise lounges for sure)

Jul 21, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

congrat beta- when do you want me to do a drive by?

Jul 21, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 

congratulations beta. the house looks nice. same would cost 800K-1 million in los angeles in a normal neighborhood. i love the facia detail in the front...

thanks for asking me too.
i have been mainly lurking whenever i had the time.
today tina and i will start our regular exercise of walking 2 miles in the neighborhood. later i have a meeting in my office with an argentinian architect and the client to co-ordinate some work down there.
i stopped the pain killers i was taking for my back pain and i am in more pain than usual it will take 3-7 days to adjust, plus the withdrawal from the opiates... the hardest part.
i'll be around next week to be back my regular posting frequency.
love you all.

Jul 21, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

In the meantime, beta, check out Orhan's awesome Thom Mayne coffee interview.

Congrats and good luck on the house offer/negotiations. Remember if you really want this house, be willing to give a little for it, but keep in the back of your mind that there are always other houses you can love just as much.

Jul 21, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

hey LB, agree?
read the last 3 comments

ooh, can't wait to read that interview...but first, online physics test :(

Jul 21, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

one of my favorite lines Orhan -

"Most people think fame is the only means to success."

Jul 21, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

I love Orhan's writings. Within an instant you become smarter and realise how dumb you are. As well, you get a sense of the richness of his personality. This is unusual for me. And I wonder if my appreciation of his archinect'persona taints my perception of it.

Jul 21, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I rode a motorcycle for the first time ever today. Tricky and a little scary, no doubt, but by the end of the day I had definitely picked up some confidence. Also I hold the title, given to me by my instructor, of being the first person he's ever seen to lock up both wheels at the same time. I took pride in this accomplishment, LOL.

I love that Beckham is playing in LA and I can't wait to stalk him when I move out there :o) Also I just realized that I had a dream last night that Frank Lampard (of Chelsea FC) committed suicide. Totally random. This didn't actually happen, did it?

Jul 21, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 

whoa WK you know your football/soccer - I'm not a Chelsea fan (go Gunners/Arsenal) but its obvious you know the players.

Congrats on the bike ride. Its been ages since I've been on one - loved the feeling a nice cocktail of fear and thrill

make sure you don't leave that course until they teach you how to do a clutch wheely

Jul 21, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

I spent all day reading... now my head hurts.

Jul 21, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

thank you so much techno. i think we are all expanding in this room, adressing each other with the beauty of written word.

tonite bbq marinated tri-tip with grilled pasilla peppers topped with a line of plain yogurt, sliced grilled mediterrannian eggplants and tomato sauce cooked bulgur pilaf.
i better head home. and start cooking.

Jul 21, 07 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

just rolled in from our summer outing which was held at one of my bosses lake house down in columbus, indianastan. got up early and took a drive down to my old stomping grounds in bloomington. a great little town with lots of people out and about, farmers markets and all of that. had a coffee and walked around reminiscing etc. then took a scenic drive from btown over to columbus on a lovely curvy highway listening to the new wilco. got over to columbus and did a bit of architectural touring. although the town has some great buildings, there really is nothing there to see besides that and its really just any old southern indiana town full of nascar cap mullet sporting rednecks with fat wives with slurpees and bad tattoos. the lake house was great though and spent some time tubing and drinking some beers. now its chill time.

Jul 21, 07 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

wk
not to worry..lampard is playing right now..so i think he's ok.
actually interesting to see chelsea playing LA right now..14 minutes in
and so far there's some nice play on both sides. although chelsea seems
to be getting the better of the chances thusfar.

nice to see that chelsea didn't bring a watered down side either..most of
their stars are in there.

Jul 21, 07 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

architech - you never knew you made the cover of the Men of Archinect calendar? Wow, that was put together last December. Congrats none-the-less...:)

Jul 21, 07 9:58 pm  · 
 · 

oops - I'm a little slow sometimes. Maybe I did know but I hit my head in January and am finding some blank spots in my memory for things around that time. Yea but its cool making it.

can't wait to see next years

Jul 21, 07 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

:)

BTW - the naked butt guy - that's puddles.

Mdler - I don't think you were in it - i don't recall you posting any picks the time I was creating the calendar. I'll be sure to include you in the 2008 calendar.

Jul 21, 07 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

vado - sounds like you had a wonderful day. My day was filled with errands - yuck.

Orhan - what time will dinner be on the table?

WK - is Darcy the motorcycle? Or is this another bike? Sounds like fun...

Jul 21, 07 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, I just got back from an exciting road trip to New Haven, where I was hoping to sell my car at the CarMax store up there (which, it turns out, is the closest one to NYC). Their offer for my car: $750. This is a car that is worth over $5000 according to NADA and Kelly Blue Book, and CarMax told me with a straight face that it's worth $750. I not-so-politely declined their offer and walked out.

In an effort to ensure that my 120-mile round trip wasn't a complete waste of time and gas money, I decided to head over to Yale and check out the area. I had never been anywhere near the Yale campus before, and it's one of the schools I'll most likely be re-applying to for my M.Arch. at some point.

I parked near the architecture building (which is currently ripped to shreds as it undergoes a gut renovation), and poked around a bit at Louis Kahn's building nearby. Very cool building, but unfortunately it was closed when I was there, so I was limited to looking around the exterior. I have no idea where Yale's architecture studios are being held in the interim, or else I would have checked them out. I'm sure I'll be back up there at some point in the fall, though.

I had a burger at Loui's Lunch Spot, which claims to be the place that invented the hamburger. Tiny restaurant, and decent burger cooked in a weird cast iron contraption and served on toast, but hardly the best burger I've ever had. I guess it's one of those places you go once just for the novelty of it.

After that, I did some walking around the Yale campus, which is very large and very beautiful. Lots of old gothic buildings, traditional campus quads, big trees, etc... It actually reminded me a bit of the University of Chicago campus. The surrounding streets have your typical college business district array of pizza places, bars, head shops, etc. Pretty cool overall... I could certainly think of worse places to spend three years of my life. New Haven has somewhat of a reputation for being a crime-ridden hellhole, but the area immediately near the campus seems pretty nice.

So my car is parked back in Newark, and I'm in a bit of a dilemma as how to pay the first month's rent and security deposit for a slightly more permanent housing situation next month. I've already given up on the idea of getting my own apartment right away (that idea will most likely have to wait a few months), so I'll be looking to move in with roommates for a while. True, my new job is paying me good money, but it will be a while until I'm working full-time and the paychecks start rolling in.

Jul 22, 07 12:34 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Darcy is my bicycle, I don't have a motorcycle yet and thus I don't have a name for one. When I get a scooter I will definitely come up with a name for it.

I'm so glad that Lampard is OK! techno, I do pay attention to sports to the point where I can have a conversation about it with varying groups of people.....including my very suburban, sports-loving family. And I do love soccer. Er, football. Futball. You know.

Gin, glad you had an excursion to Yale. I've never seen the campus but hear great things, obviously. I can't say I've heard of anyone who needs a Jeep Cherokee but if I do, you'll be the first person I call....

Jul 22, 07 2:12 am  · 
 · 

Good morning TC - I see no one is up yet. Its dark over here and its noon, its been raining all night and now all morning. Snuggly weather. Not very good when I need to send out a set of dd in the morning

Jul 22, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I'd like to ask for the record that no one post any Harry Potter spoilers here in TC. I'm still way back on the 4th book, having raced through the first few all in a row and sickened myself. After a long pause I'm getting back into them now.

Jul 22, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

you won't hear any from me myriam - I haven't read any of those Harry Potter books (albeit I have watched most of the films). I'm not taken to read them, but to be honest I have a hard time not reading anything that's not architecture related :: sad but true

Jul 22, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Well, earlier today, the planets aligned and the sun shone down upon me.....for, despite what I thought was a terrible performance, I passed my motorcycle class and am now licensed to ride them. Totally unbelievable. The guys said there was one person who failed and I thought sure it was me....let's just say I can't do u-turns. Anyway, I passed and I'm probably not getting on a real motorcycle again for a long, long time. Scooters though....I think I can handle. I'll keep you posted.

Jul 22, 07 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

yayyyyyy WonderK!!! Now head over to the nearest Aprilia dealer and test drive one so that you know for sure it's what you want!

myriam, I'll try. Let's just say that the last book is pretty great, and manages to fool you as to how it's going to end a few times.

Jul 22, 07 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

random:
Since I have to suffer anyway and write an essay about fiber optics for my online physics class, I thought I'd make it interesting. He asked for examples of how they are used and I chose, amongst other things, endoscopes and LitraCon. There's nothing like spending Sunday evening writing about anal probing and translucent concrete...as it relates to physics of course.

Jul 23, 07 12:10 am  · 
 · 
Katze

I challenge WK to a motorcycle race down lombard street!!!

Jul 23, 07 12:21 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

In college I took a rented scooter down Lombard Street.

Jul 23, 07 7:16 am  · 
 · 

always be afraid of any sentence that starts with 'in college....'

my scooter hijinks in college included taking one out when the streets of new orleans were flooded to see how big a rooster tail i could make.

Jul 23, 07 7:44 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Katze, I am not riding a motorcycle down Lombard Street. If I have my dithers I'm not riding a motorcycle again period. It was like driving a stick shift vehicle with your hands and trying not to fall over. I think I reached the limits of my hand-eye coordination yesterday....my arms and legs still hurt because of it. I will definitely get up my confidence on the scooter though and I'll get back to you....

Lombard street is so awesome. San Fran is awesome period. Did you guys hear that Virgin is starting an American division of their airline which is launching with low-cost fares from all the major cities? LA to San Fran for only $44 one way.....yay!

Jul 23, 07 8:54 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

wK- does that fare include carbon offsets?

Jul 23, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

tk, I'm sure it doesn't. But we found a way to purchase carbon offsets over on Green Thread Central, didn't we? I will go see if I can find it....

Also, isn't Branson the one who committed something like $8 billion to combatting global climate change? He seems pretty progressive as far as billionaire CEOs go.....

Jul 23, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

wK - yes. virgin atlantic just started out of SFO this past week. great fares to new york jfk too.

lombard street is nuts. i was just there on saturday. my cousin moved to town this week and i was giving her the grand tour of the city of bay...

she's starting a grad program in urban art studies...

and while i'm on the subject...

"when the lights....go down.....in the cityyy...."

Jul 23, 07 3:02 pm  · 
 · 

ok, announcement: I only leaked to WonderK, but I reserved a blog address last week, after deciding that my subject matter might be a tad too diverse to be contained in Archinect, and that I may actually want to continue it when I'm done with school. So, the more serious musings of rationalist can now be found at Environment + Design

Jul 23, 07 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

errr, Environment + Design

Jul 23, 07 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yay, congrats rationalist!!!

(too bad you're starting the blog with a "bad news" post - hopefully the bad news will be outweighed by good soon!)

Jul 23, 07 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Lbell, I forgot to say, I'm glad you're back. Your self imposed exile was tough.

Jul 23, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: