Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

snooker

There was a manufacturer just down the road from me called, "Les Care Cabinets." They were one of the largest in the country a few years back, now they have dissapeared off the face of the work....think it might have something to do with the Name.

I also grew up with a family who had a the last name Beach.....

Names of kids:

Sandy Beach

Rocky Beach

Jul 19, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

we've worked with a roofing contractor called 'cover up'. never could decide whether their name was a good one or not.

Jul 19, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

hey TC,

Question:
how would you go about selling a laptop? Craigslist? Ebay?
I don't know anyone personally who needs it...

Thanks.

Jul 19, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

How old, and are there any good programs on it?

Jul 19, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

I've had good success with selling computers over craigslist. The best thing is that architecture machines are always so loaded with good graphics cards, ram, etc. that you never have to explain why it's a piece of shit, just sit back and listen to the business students go, "Wow, this thing is sooooo fast!"

Jul 19, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

yeah, the average student could buy the $499 special at staples and it would work great throughout their entire college career. I seem to need a new computer every year...

yeah, it is 3+ y/o...has everything on it, but I'm going to wipe it out before I sell it...

I think it's this one but I don't have it with me. It is upgraded to the RAM to 1-1.5G (it was so long ago, I can't remember)..

hmm....I could market it packaged w/ all the software "we" need, but, IMHO, it's out of date for "us". You're right rationalist, for the average Accounting major or whatever- it's awesome.

It has served my well though (even though, as the first generation HP 17", it's effin' heavy). It sat there rendering my senior thesis for months while I worked on my desktop on everything else...

Jul 19, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

hmm. I need a new laptop, and I need programs, but dont have the money for either. My laptop is 6 years old, and has an electrical issue. Really, I want a tablet type, but stupid kid has to squash all my hopes and dreams. sigh.

Jul 19, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Not a dick measuring contest; but the whole bmx-pad-on-the-road-frame-just-because-the-80s-were-'cool brings me much enragement.

It's a trend plain and simple, no functionality found.

Jul 19, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

my dad used to put foam pipe covers/insulation on my bike, it kept me from hurting myself.

Jul 19, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

the 80's were awesome. period.

Jul 19, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

Nah, vans aren't even comfy anymore. I gave my last pair of vans to goodwill because they started making them very poofy, thick, make your feet feel twice as large as usual. I miss the vans I wore as a kid, they were the most comfortable shoes in the world.

Jul 19, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

My best friend here in Cincy is actually concerned that I am going to return from LA at Christmas time wearing leg-warmers and be "all LA". Ha.

Jul 19, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

That evil thread made my stomach hurt. I thought the title was being sarcastic.

Jul 19, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

...miniskirts over 3/4 lengths black leggings, occasionally accompanied by Uggs, however, are never out of place here.

Jul 19, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I dont get uggs. THe look my moon boots to me, very rainbow brite.

Jul 19, 07 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tumbles

I heard uggs will also protect you from puppy poop

Jul 19, 07 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Jul 19, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

im trying something

Jul 19, 07 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Jul 19, 07 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
bmx-pad-on-the-road-frame-just-because-the-80s-were-'cool

I had a bmx bike with pads in the eighties, now my ride has old inner tubes wrapped around it to keep the paint from getting anymore dinged.

wK- please, please, please find a pair of leg warmers to wear back to cinci!!! that would be priceless!!!!! :-D

it seems quite on the archinect front. maybe too quiet or have the trolls been slain?

Jul 19, 07 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

Frankly, I think that at least one of the trolls was a regular on here expressing his dark side, but may have left due to the loss of Ms. Elle Belle.

Jul 19, 07 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

I cannot sit idly by while someone talks smack about Vans!!

As an owner of probably a dozen pairs, I can confirm that they do indeed come in all shapes and sizes. If the thicker, padded models don't work for you, there are many lower profile models available. If you visit their website, stick with the 'classic' models over the 'active' models. In fact, you can even custom design the beloved 'Old Skool' model online. If that's not cool, what is?

wow, maybe I should quit my job and be a Vans rep......

Jul 19, 07 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

FRO...thank you...I just didn't know what to say when rationalist made such a comment ;-) Rationalist..give 'em another chance...

I wear slip-on canvas vans at any opportunity possible...I am wearing polka-dot ones today. They are sooooo comfy....not puffy....ahhh, i love 'em.

vans, chucks, shell-toes, and diesels (I expect someone to make a hipster reference here)....this is what i wear. It explains me wanting to be a perpetual student so I don't have to grow up and wear heals everyday. I have at least 50 pairs of heels and I end up wearing one of three of my favorite pairs of tennis shoes every day.

Jul 19, 07 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

todays shoe...

Jul 19, 07 7:05 pm  · 
 · 

hmm, maybe the shops just stopped stocking the good type then.

Jul 19, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 

nah, after a check of the website, I stand by my previous assessment of vans. They used to make good shoes. Now there's no intermediate step between the canvas things you posted above, and the puffy ones I hated so much. They used to make them like the puffy ones, suede, with thinner soles, thinner sides, and thinner tongues, so they lay flat instead of turned your feet into balloons.

Jul 19, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I've got my eyes on these...

- Organic cotton/linen, printed wool, and wool felt uppers
- Bamboo linings
- Cushioned felt heel pad
- Rubbahyde rand
- Molded latex outsole
- Slight crepe wedge
- Cork and latex pedbed
- Uses water based cements
- 100% post consumer paper pulp foot forms

I didn't always used to be so green obsessed. Lately there are just better options for the eco-consumer though.

Jul 19, 07 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

gotta interrupt this shoe convention with some garden pics of the day:

the radish from hell ('bout the size of a softball)

the squash are coming! the squash are coming!

Jul 19, 07 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

treekiller, that should be the squai are coming, the squai are coming!

(what my old roomie used to call the plural of squash. works like a charm! you'll find yourself applying it to asparaguses (asparagi!) and all manner of others as well!)

Jul 19, 07 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

tK - that sure looks like a BEET to me. or maybe a watermelon radish?

Jul 19, 07 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I have no clue what that thing is - I thought I had planted another cauliflower seed in that spot and was wondering why the leaves were different. it's been growing since mid may. tonight I happened to look down and see this giant bulb sticking up from the soil... the leaves are very similar to the other radishes (from the radish seed packet) that are growing well (but much smaller). I'm pulling it tomorrow evening and I'll post more pics then.

Oh, my project team at work is going on a research trip tomorrow to play a round of golf - if i'm supposed to be designing 54 holes on 1000 acres, I better figure out how to play the game.

Any b-boys or girls cruising TC these days? what can you tell me about Korea town in Ridgefield, NJ? got added on another project team, this one for 1m+ sf of mixed use development on a brown field in that beautiful part of the garden state. don't think I've ever stopped there on my way to manhattan.... (thanks beta for suggesting your old employer as the local stamp!)

Jul 19, 07 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Time flies when you're having fun.... We've just been assigned our final project in the Columbia summer studio, which is due in two weeks. Up until now we've been doing a lot of visual exercises and modeling of abstract concepts; now we get to design a building for a real site.

The project, in a nutshell: Some 850,000 artifacts were apparently dug up during construction of NYC's Foley Courthouse complex, most of which dated back to the area's past as the notorious "Five Points" Irish ghetto during the 1800's (think Martin Scorsese's Gangs of New York). These artifacts were meticulously cataloged and then stored away in what was thought to be a safe place: The basement of 6 World Trade Center.

On 9/11, eighteen of the artifacts were on loan to the Archdiocese of New York and were being stored elsewhere. The rest of the artifacts were destroyed when the north tower collapsed.

We've been assigned a site in Chinatown not far from the original "Five Points", and our task is to design a building that functions both as a museum for the 18 surviving artifacts, and as a memorial to the approximately 849,982 other artifacts that were lost once in the gradually-shifting sands of time, rediscovered, and then lost again in one catastrophic morning. We also need to incorporate some of the ideas we've been exploring in the prior class assignments.

Interesting project, to be sure... Certainly beats designing "a house for a schizophrenic baker" or something like that. I have some vague ideas for how to proceed, but I still have a lot of thinking and researching to do.

Work is going pretty well... Nothing major to report, except that it's a bit weird working at a place where most everybody seems relatively sane and well-adjusted. In some ways it's not nearly as entertaining as working with a bunch of dysfunctional nutcases, but hopefully it will mean I won't be spending nearly as much time pounding my head against a brick wall.

Jul 20, 07 12:20 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

killa, i forgot to tell you yesterday, i'll be in jersey in september, and up in Ridgefield for a barbecue at one of my friend's parents.

Jul 20, 07 3:51 am  · 
 · 
Appleseed

sheeeit, I want a little 3 by my name.

Jul 20, 07 3:54 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

just so i'm on the record, i'd love to design a home for a schizo banker, if anyone knows of one, please let me know.

thanks.

Jul 20, 07 4:03 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

LIG, what an amazing story. I had never heard that before. It's a quite ambitious project to undertake with only a couple of weeks left too! And glad to hear work is.....normal.

I am enjoying visualizing what I would design if I were assigned this project.

Jul 20, 07 9:40 am  · 
 · 
mdler

two week projects are fun...you have to get an idea and run with it before you can decide that there is a better idea out there...my best work has come from these short design projects

Jul 20, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

I'm alive....call off the search + rescue.

We had a wicked thunderstorm that lasted all of yesterday. It was both beautiful and frightening. We were without power and internet for most of the evening, but when it did return there were casualties. For me those were my dsl modem and my apple airport - sucks chunks.

Anyhow I've gone and replaced those - the later with a Belkin that i hopes works just as good to last me in the interim whilst i (an avid pc user) sends something for repair to the house of white that steve built.

wish me luck!

Jul 20, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

treekiller - it looks like that mutant radish could be the solution to world hunger. If there was ever a reason to make a soil check around your house it might be now...cause that thing looks huge.

Living in Gin - that's one of the nicer sounding academic projects I've heard. Reminds me of the design of safe bat observatory (site under a working bridge) proposed for Austin. Real world, but other worldly at the same time (truth is stranger than fiction?)

It looks like a fun project - enjoy it for all of us.

Jul 20, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

good morning tc'ers. it's been a while since i've posted. just thought i'd say what's up, and wish everyone a happy friday!

dubk (if i start a reggae band, that's what i'm calling it!), i can't decide if i like your shoes or not. they simultaneously look cool and ugly @ the same time. no offense! =)

trekiller, cool garden. what kind of pesticide, if any, do you use? i've got some squash and some tomatoes growing, but there're caterpillars getting @ them. not cool!

lig, sounds like a great project. a good friend of mine is also @ columbia this summer. damn, i need/want to go back to school!

Jul 20, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Blogger.com now has an option to add a poll to your blog....which means that my blog now has buttons to push! Yeah!

Jul 20, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

dubk...whats your blog link again? i'm too lazy to go back in TC pages.

you should put it on your profile...

Jul 20, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

she's at wondersphere.blogspot.com

Jul 20, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

thanks ML..

WK, I voted...soon to change though- woohoo!
and again, i forgot that i refused to look at your blog before lunch because now i am so damn hungry!

Jul 20, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

speaking of wonder...wow, i just realized i've eclipsed 1K posts.

not bad for a non-architect who hangs out on an architecture forum.

btw - i'm currently completely rocking out to BATTLES. anyone on TC familiar?

super dense live-loop prog rock with a serious set of chops.

Jul 20, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

it's friday...and, yes, i'm still alive

Jul 20, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

LIG's post prompted me to spend a good chunk of my morning researching the five points, which led to the history of new york, and then to central park and then the case of the central park jogger. At that point I realized it had been a while since I pumped some CAD.
Oh well, it's Friday.

Jul 20, 07 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

thanks tumbleweed! i'll give it a try.

Jul 20, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Profile changed accordingly, good suggestion W2D.....

Where are lb and Steven Ward? AP needs to come back too. I am becoming very self-conscious of my ever increasing post count. This will stall in a couple of weeks though.

Jul 20, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: