Jul 6, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

vado,

congrats!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 6, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

mdler - it went well. you must have missed my recap...i think it's on pg 118 or thereabouts...but the nutshell is that the scones took fourth in their class, the popovers took second (the best in show for that division came from the same class), and the soft pretzels took home the blue ribbon and first place in their class.

my overly-sophisticated ribs took fourth in the nascar, i mean, er, uhh, rib contest.

all in all, i was pleased with the results.

i came for a blue ribbon, and that's what i got.

Jul 6, 07 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

my soft pretzel wouldnt even place

Jul 6, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Mightylittle - I like that idea for a new thread. Start it up.

Jul 6, 07 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

ml™-

today has been freehand site analysis (not to scale) - just did a rough of the slope analysis, now playing around with land use/circulation diagrams. I now have jr interns to do my cad/3d-modeling, yipee! (oh, I now think in metric) (the site is in vietnam)

Jul 6, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

is that a soft pretzel in your pocket or blah blah blah...

Jul 6, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

tk - they don't have to be cad. handsketch, mayline, whatevs. snap aphoto and upload. if you want. or better yet, snap some photos of the site.

are you there? in vietnam?

i had THE MOST AMAZING bahn mi at this tiny place in SF called, appropriately enough, VIETNAM.

these were seriously good. grilled pork and fried egg sandwiches with hot-pickled cucumbers, ban sprouts and cilantro. a couple of tsingtao and we were livin' large.

what a hole in the wall this place was though, but oh man...i want to go back NOW!

Jul 6, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

vado, you're about to get another thanks -- i just got my copy of "what is art" delivered to my desk!!!! And right when I was sick of working on this drawing, too. THANK YOU!!!! I'm sooo set for the weekend now, and I'm going to the beach in Indianastan, so that's perfect! Woohoo! Thank you so much.

If you don't want low-fat cookies then I will need to figure out something else I can bake that doesn't add poundage. Hmmm.

Jul 6, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

ml™- don't know what i can post till I learn more about the contract and confidentiality. not in 'nam, just the minneapple as usual. my first brush with vietnamese food was on the left bank in paris.

it's good to see myriam again on TC.

Jul 6, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

i think i may be just about the only person in my office next week. hmmmph.

Jul 6, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

I drive to work - takes me 6 minutess add 20 secs if i drive the long way

Jul 6, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 

hah hah my drawings for today included fixing a window schedule & elevations for a co-worker whose off at a wedding. He started doing up these elaborate elevations without first checking the cut sheets from the manufacturer so all the elevations were screwed up.

Jul 6, 07 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

I haven't done a drawing of my own all day. I've gone through about half of a red pencil on other people's drawings, though.

Jul 6, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

mightlittle

there is a guy down the street from my office who owns a Vietnamies cafe. He makes his own tofu and all. Says he will take me to Vietnam to learn how to cook traditional food. Because they dont have refrigeration in the small villages, all the food is super fresh

Jul 6, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
AP

What is your favorite color shoes? black

Who is your least detested starchitect? i <3 Zumthor, if that counts...

do you bike/walk/train/ car to work? walk/train/walk

now, a try at dubK's method:

Red (after Green). What is your 2nd favorite color?

Eisenmen (after Hejduk). Who is the 2nd most intriguing NY5er?

Car. What is your least prized posession?

I am thinking 7 ish. When will you have your first beer today?

Jul 6, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

HOLY CRAP IT'S BEER:41!

Jul 6, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 

or :37, archinect-time.

Jul 6, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

steven - we'll keep you company.

happy weekend archinecteurs- I'm heading home!!!!!

Jul 6, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

oh i got me some time left in the office...

Jul 6, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

and while i'm at it...

Jul 6, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

same thing happens here as with my emailing friends from back east...come 2pm ro 2:30, suddenly, my inbox quiets down and i actually get productive...

productive on archinect, that is.

Jul 6, 07 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

In lieu of the "Architecture Sucks" t-shirt, today I wore a t-shirt that I had bought online some time ago. It's black with white lettering, and has a silhouette of George Costanza of Seinfeld fame and some text. I don't have an image of it, but imagine something like this:

Vandelay Industries

Latex, Architecture,
Importing & Exporting

For those of you unfamiliar with Avery Hall, our studio is on the 5th floor. The administrative offices are on the 4th floor, and the main auditorium is in the basement. The floors are connected with one very small, very slow elevator.

My classmates and I were up in studio, and around noon, began to head downstairs to the auditorium to hear Mark Wigley and Peter Eisenman give their talk. Some of us decided to grab the elevator, and we pretty much filled it up. The doors close, and the elevator begins its descent.

We stop on the 4th floor on the way down. The doors open, and none other than Mark Wigley and Peter Eisenman decide to squeeze on, and the conversation in the elevator comes to an abrupt halt. I end up standing belly-to-belly with Eisenman, with Wigley behind him, looking over his shoulder. Both of them are obviously reading my t-shirt. The elevator doors close, and we're moving downward once again. Nobody speaks.

After a couple seconds, Eisenman simply says, "George Costanza."

I try to smile politely. "Yep," I manage to utter.

What follows next is about thirty seconds of awkward silence as the elevator makes its way to the basement. I'm still belly-to-belly with Eisenman, and Wigley is still looking at my t-shirt from over Eisenman's shoulder.

Finally the doors open, and that's the end of the encounter. I can't help but wonder what the conversation would have been like if I had worn my "Architecture Sucks" shirt.

As for the talk itself, all the heavy theory and discourse was a welcome change from two years of listening to my former boss yammer on and on about "strategic design" and marketing. I won't go into detail what the talk was about (theme: corners), but I generally found that Mark Wigley was witty, engaging, and seemed to make a lot of sense, listening to Eisenman talk pretty much made me want to shoot myself in the face.

In other news, I've heard back from one firm I contacted in response to an ad here on Archinect, and they want to interview me. Not a moment too soon, as I never cease to be amazed at how easy it is to piss away money in this city. Stay tuned.

Jul 6, 07 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Oh my god, Gin....that story made me laugh out loud....I'm still laughing from your assessment of Petey...ha ha ha....

Jul 6, 07 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Eisenman: George Costanza.

LiG: Yes, that's right. Are you familiar with the work of Vandelay Industries?

Eisenman: It's bullshit.

LiG: You would know.

Jul 6, 07 10:25 pm  · 
 · 

wow seems TC is alive for a friday night, how comes everyone isn't off drinking the last of the whiskey?

Ah well I'll see you all on later on the weekend - I'm heading off island for a dirty weekend.

caio

Jul 6, 07 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

a pretty laid back way to start the weekend. coffee and archinect. gonna read more of the beuys stuff and maybe go down to the uss indianapolis ribbon cutting at the war memorial. and nap of course.

Jul 7, 07 10:05 am  · 
 · 

What is your favorite color shoes? burgundy

What is your 2nd favorite color? Black(after Green)

Who is your least detested starchitect? tie between Peter or Glenn (Zumthor /Murcutt)

do you bike/walk/train/ car to work? drive...2000cc engine for 6 mins

Who is the 2nd most intriguing NY5er? Meier old school (after Eisenmen) - btw Meier is a hack now.

What is your least prized posession? leather bracelet

When will you have your first beer today? hmmm unlikely to be beer, may finish a bottle of wine with a friend

Jul 7, 07 10:54 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Happy 7-7-7 everyone! Luckiest day in 100 years!!!

Jul 7, 07 11:05 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

tecno i was lookin at your flickr page and am longing to be in the islands!

Jul 7, 07 11:10 am  · 
 · 

come on down vado, I have space!

i think I might buy a kite surf kit (but the idea of dropping $500 for a something I've tried once is kinda foolish)

Jul 7, 07 11:50 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i've burnt most of my personal days by leavin early!

Jul 7, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

reading Living in Gin's post all I could think about was this image of Peter Eisenman

Jul 7, 07 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

which reminds me of him

Jul 7, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

eisenman (thinking to himself while scratching chin) hmmm so this vado guy lost nine pounds in a month? might be worth checking out. i wonder what he knows about eifs...hmmm.

Jul 7, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

nothing like readin an interview/discussion with joseph beuys and listening to american roots/no depression in heaven music.

Jul 7, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
aml

i'm bored.

Jul 7, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
aml

oops, probably should've gone to the simpsons thread.

Jul 7, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hi aml :) good likeness with petey. gin should get that image and put it on a tshirt. i guess i don't understand why people would stop talking just because these guys squeezed in the elevator. unless you were talkin about white bucks and big guts.

Jul 7, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
aml

hi vado!

maybe they were talking about bowties & suspenders.

Jul 7, 07 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hi aml :) i could imagine conversation stopping if you got on the elevator!

Jul 7, 07 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

wtf???

Jul 7, 07 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

somehow I always suspected PeteyE's bowtie was a clip on...we need LiG to do some undercover work and take pics for TC.

LiG; your mission if you choose to accept it is to infiltrate the nyc5ers and retrieve detailed blueprints on the bow tie belonging to Peter Eisenman....this msg will self destruct in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6.....

Jul 7, 07 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

why doesnt eisenman have any products at target?

Jul 7, 07 8:22 pm  · 
 · 

answer- cause they've all been deconstructed of folded into oblivion.

Jul 7, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I tried to buy suspenders today but they didn't have the color I wanted. My search for the perfect pair of suspenders continues...

Jul 8, 07 2:20 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

did u try target?

Jul 8, 07 6:19 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

what did one crag say to the other crag?

what the hell are we doing up this early on a sunday??

Jul 8, 07 6:22 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

who said i went to bed? i always get up early on sundays.

Jul 8, 07 7:58 am  · 
 · 

the sun is up, I would like to grab some coffee and head to the beach but I suspect I won't be able to find any.

Jul 8, 07 8:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: