Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Dapper Napper

the community car thing looks like a sweet deal. I wondered how people lived carless, yet still managed to get groceries, furniture buying, etc. done. My $800/month car expenses now makes me sad.

Jun 26, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Looks like I'll be paying $150/month to park my car once I arrive in NYC... I hope I can sell that thing soon.

Jun 26, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

yup, been car centered my whole life. I'm trying to wean myself off car dependence and onto my bicycle now while I still have a car though. I'm about 90% car-free at the moment, and haven't filled up my tank in two months.

I also considered getting a scooter (I blame WonderK, she got me excited with cute scooter pics), but when I looked at where I wanted to live, I'll definitely be within 3 miles of school, so it honestly seemed like overkill for my needs.

Jun 26, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

here's your sign- where do you live?

Rationalist- I admire your commitment...you're a better person than me. You'd be horrified if you knew how much I spend on gas and my car is in the shop (again) today. Of course, just as I'm ready to sell it, here come the problems. Agreed w/ the scooter. i am going to live a block from campus (6 blocks from the PennDesign building), so I really can justify it. Plus, I imagine its not the safest thing in the snow- so I couldn't even use it year round. When I was in Rome, i rented one and it was the most fun thing ever....*sigh*...one day...

vado- my mom would fly and probably not bother to rent a car unless we needed it for something.

The best part of mommy visits, no matter how old I get:
a) fully stocked fridge/ toiletries
b) home cooked meals individually portioned and frozen/ refrigerated for weeks of good eatin'
c) my mom will clean my apartment top to bottom in two hours...way better than I could do in 2 weeks.
d) during midterm/ finals, she'd let me sleep while she did my laundry.

The funny thing is that she loves every minute- I can't stop her- I used to try. i think its the empty nester syndrome.

aww, I miss my mommy. I think I'll go home for the weekend.

Jun 26, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

I was just told in secrecy that they want me out, and are willing to give me the job I am applying for. Doesn't sound too bad, less pressure more chilling at the beach bar.

Jun 26, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Come on, you know you want in on the scooter gang...

architechno, I don't understand how this all works. They want you to leave so they are giving you a better job?

Jun 26, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, techno, you're going to have to explain that one more fully...

WTD- you've made me miss MY mom! I survived for a full month on the grocery shopping and cooking she did when she came out for my graduation. Well, I had to, cause I was dead broke, pennies in the bank account, maxxed-out credit card level broke, so she basically saved me. Even in the heat of summer, I'd kill for some of that homemade chicken noodle soup.

And I'm not a better person, I've got extra motivation: biking is much more fun than going to the gym.

Despite Crystal Light's best efforts, including cakes, cookies, and constant food chatter, I'm ten pounds lighter than I was in March.

Jun 26, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

that's great WK- I really admire your tenacity. Honestly, the thought of riding my bike through the filthy Valley- especially during summer- makes me sick. I think if I lived on the westside, I would have more motivation. Or, maybe not- haha.

I just can't wait to be rid of the car- It will be so freeing. It's funny, when I was 14-15- I just couldn't wait to be 16, get my license, and finally have freedom. Now, I feel like my car is such a burden.

Jun 26, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

w2d i get that kind of love too - I really could use some of mom's wisdom right now.

Jun 26, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

WhatToDo, I think you meant rationalist. I'm going to be biking all the time eventually though, so I'll save that compliment for later. :o)

Jun 26, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

pretty much they want me out of the government position, but still want to keep me as a resource. So they are suggesting I move to this new authority (pseudo govt) as the deputy with more pay

Jun 26, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Techno, that sounds like the beginning of some espionage movie.

W2d- I'm in Houston, where we're born with steering wheels in or hands.

Congrats Rationalist! 10lbs doesn't seem like a lot but I know you feel a lot better.

Jun 26, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

It's a lot when you see what a pound of fat looks like. I linked to it, because frankly it's gross and I don't want to see that for the rest of the page...

Jun 26, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'm getting a "forbidden" message... Probably just as well.

I need to get my own ass in better shape... I'm not morbidly obese, but my general appearance is a little too similar to that of Fred Flintstone for comfort. No matter what I eat or how much or how little I exercise, the needle on the scale never seems to budge.

Good news is, I'll have free access to Columbia's swank fitness center during my time at the GSAPP summer program, and because of my involvement at the cathedral across the street from campus, I might even be able to continue to use the fitness center afterwards for a annual fee, which is about half what I'd have to pay to join a regular gym in the city.

Jun 26, 07 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
oops

Yeah, I'm greatly looking forward to UW's gym, it's way nicer than anything I'd seen before. It's got all the standard stuff, but also a huge indoor rock climbing area, and a boathouse that will rent rowboats and kayaks when weather permits. I think it'll be really fun to be able to have that much variety in my exercise.

Jun 26, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

that fat doesn't look too gross.

looks like clarified butter!

can anyone say hollandaise?

Jun 26, 07 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Looks like lemon meringue

Jun 26, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

oops...yes, meant rationalist...but WK- keep the compliment as incentive for your future ridin'!

Jun 26, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

"can anyone say hollandaise?"
and that is exactly why hollandaise grosses me out.

So I emailed the bosses to tell them I needed to leave two days earlier. That way I've got a little time to pack and clean and get everything ready without staying up nights to do so.

Jun 26, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Looks like lemon meringue.

Jun 26, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Could this day possibly go any slower? Most of my projects either don't have any pressing deadlines at the moment, or have been handed off to other staff members (suckers). So I find myself surfing the web and counting down the hours. Somebody, please entertain me.

Jun 26, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
KEG
Jun 26, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I made a new Google account so we could all access the map.

Jun 26, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

there you go LiG.

Jun 26, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

LIG, between W2D and myself, we've got you covered. :o)

Jun 26, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

WonderK, let me know when you pull through Dallas. I can't promise you a super happenin' time, but maybe....

Jun 26, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow Sarah, I didn't know you were in Dallas. Cool! I will let you know....

See, maps, they make everything better :o)

Jun 26, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

*I have officially hit 15 pounds GAINED in 5 months. I think every time rationalist loses a pound it gets sent to me!!!

*I bought a carton of fresh, juicy raspberries from the vendor at Broadway-Lafayette. I'd eaten ten or twelve - slob-style, by the handful, not looking - and noticed that they tasted a bit strange. When I looked down, I saw that the berries at the center of the carton were crawling with ants. Probably 100 ants!!! I ran to the kitchen and frantically rinsed the berries in a bowl, thinking I could drown the ants and save my snack, but I underestimated their buoyancy and swimming capability. In a panicked rush, after a snap decision regarding "deal with ants" vs. "vomit because I probably just ate 25 ants" I picked up the bowl and threw the entire lot into the toilet, sentencing many innocent insects to a watery grave.

*I may lose 15 pounds from vomiting.

*ARRRGGGHHHHH

Jun 26, 07 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

p.s. I want MY mommy.

p.p.s. Smokety has met my mommy.

Jun 26, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

That's why I don't eat "fresh" fresh fruit. I need some chemicals on it.

Jun 26, 07 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
aml

"I underestimated their buoyancy and swimming capability."

great sentence.

Jun 26, 07 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

wow namby, that'd be an awesome system. Now if we could only re-route those pounds to starving African orphans or something, we'd have a great business idea.

Jun 26, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 

LIG... have you tried taking your vehicle carmax... they'll just buy it from you... i sold my old POS last year... you won't get the most for your vehicle... but as a last resort it could work out...

Jun 26, 07 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

it's that time of year here in NorCal when ants and spiders have the run of things. no rain to wash them away i guess.

i have murdered many many unsuspecting little buggers and have found them in my lunch, on my drawings, on my keyboard...but fortunately not in the food i was actively EATING.

gross.

Jun 26, 07 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Because I'm bored: The Travels of Living in Gin

Blue: Road trips
Green: Rail
Red: Flights

Yeah, I took my car to Carmax for an appraisal a few months ago... They offered $1500 for it, when its Blue Book value is around $5800. I told them where to stuff their lowball offer; I'd rather just keep the car instead of selling it for that little.

Jun 26, 07 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

thas' a cool map. i'm a going to have to make me one of them.

Jun 26, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, by the end of the summer I should be able to drive I-80 between Chicago and NYC blindfolded.

On that note, time to go home... Three work days left.

Jun 26, 07 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

lig.....you should start planning your exit party! Order in a buch of food and booze on the company account...

Jun 26, 07 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

My co-workers are taking me out to lunch on Thursday, and apparently the company is buying lunch on Friday in honor of myself and an interior designer who is leaving the next week.

Jun 26, 07 8:02 pm  · 
 · 

LiG great party.

Okay so one of the projects that was placed on the "don't touch" list has been placed back on the "to do" - even worse, they are the immediate list. Of course it came with loads of drama, and I was stuck in the middle. So I'm back at it.

I was able to finish the site sections in the afternoon, but still have a bit more to do. Added that next week I'll have to take over the cds for a coworker that has to run to a wedding. It will be fun I'm sure.

Jun 26, 07 8:20 pm  · 
 · 

I Just saw the most amazing film short

on its some silly show on fox about movie directors. The short was about a mother and daughter robbing a sperm bank, looking particularly for product from an architect. It included sizing up an architect that was in the store (not the garwondler) and forcing him to produce

Jun 26, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

Oh the show is called "On the Lot"

Jun 26, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

architechno... is that online?!

Jun 26, 07 8:44 pm  · 
 · 

i dunno...

Jun 26, 07 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

it's probably this but i can't find the show in particular...got any other details a-techno??

Jun 26, 07 9:25 pm  · 
 · 

I don't see the video on the site

Jun 26, 07 9:30 pm  · 
 · 

jinx

the video is by Hillary Weisman Graham

Jun 26, 07 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

That's funny that you mention producing, since I was just looking at the downward spiral of that picture of my two best friends and giggling.

Jun 26, 07 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, I just spent all evening loading up my Jeep with very heavy boxes of books, destined for the storage unit I had reserved (and paid for) a few blocks away. When I got there, though, somebody else's lock was on my unit. Of course, the front office was closed, so I have to leave all my books out in my car overnight and during the day tomorrow, and then rip somebody a new one over the phone tomorrow morning when I call the storage facility.

Fucking assholes.... Just once I'd like to have a long-distance move that isn't completely fucked up by some lazy, brain-dead piece of shit excuse for a customer service rep.

Jun 26, 07 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

sorry for that LiG I needed a place to store my hydroponics...but I'll share

Jun 26, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: