Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

really? wow... donna, would you mind letting me know if that turns out to be true... i'm about to fill out the paperwork to get my first license in florida, but i don't really plan on ever moving back there so if you do have to maintain your original license i might jump through the hoops necessary to get it somewhere else...

Jun 14, 11 8:52 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I thought it had to do with the state your practice is based out of.

Jun 14, 11 9:12 am  · 
 · 

sounds perfectly bureacraptic

sorry to jump in with a shameless plug, but I have started a kind of school blog for the studio we are teaching this year at keio.  hopefully it will lead to some interesting projects in studio and out.  check it out here

totally wanna see the robot cookies donna!  my kids love that movie.

Jun 14, 11 9:29 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Maybe it's not that way for all states.  I don't know.  Here's the pertinent language from IL:

To apply for licensure by endorsement, you MUST hold an ACTIVE license/
registration as an Architect in another U.S. jurisdiction. The requirements for
licensure in the other jurisdiction must be, on the date of granting the license,
substantially equivalent to the requirements in force in Illinois at that time.
Applicants originally licensed after August 9, 1998, shall submit an NCARB
IDP Council Record. The application which you submit is valid for 3 years
from date of receipt.

So basically, as I understand it, you can let your original license lapse for almost 3 years - it only has to be active during your reciprocal application.  But you have keep re-applying / renewing the reciprocal license every 3 years, so presumably your original license would need to be active at least every 3 years.  At least as far as I understood it.  I didn't call anyone about this though... the other state I looked at  (NE) didn't seem to make the question clear.  You should probably call IN just to be sure.

Jun 14, 11 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Legaleeze always confuses me.  So what's the difference between your application and your actual license?  Aren't they separate entities? Please excuse I have the major dumbs today... sinus issues have created major brain fuzz/inability to think.

Jun 14, 11 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

The discussion above among Donna, mantaray and Phillip regarding the need to maintain one's "initial license" in order keep "reciprocal licenses" active is very interesting.

Since I plan to retire fairly soon and move to another state where I have a license obtained through reciprocity, I will need to know the answer to this question as well -- so, I wrote NCARB earlier today to get their take on this matter. I'll let you know what, if anything, I learn.

Jun 14, 11 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

what's the effin' point of an ncarb certificate if one can't add/delete state licenses at their discretion?

mantaray's text clip means (to me) that one can apply for a license; you have three years from application date to actually pull the license, otherwise you start over.

my original license was in california, moved to new mexico, got my ncarb and then nm license, then let my california license go inactive when the recession hit (figured i wouldn't be doing much there for a while), and have only my nm license now.

really hoping this recriprocal/originating thing isn't true.....

Jun 14, 11 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

What I've never truly understood is what the *actual* benefit to maintaining your active status with NCARB is.  People say it makes the reciprocal licensing easier, but does it really?  Doesn't it just make it cheaper?  And isn't there then a point of diminishing returns, if you compare the cost of renewing every year to the potential cost savings of having your stuff sent to your state directly from NCARB...?  I feel like I'm missing the point of staying NCARB active.   That's probably a discussion for another thread, though...

Jun 14, 11 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Donna, mantaray, Phillip: Here's a partial response to the question -- from the state where I obtained my 2nd license through reciprocity:

"As long as you keep your license in our state current and do not let it lapse, you will not be required to hold an active license in any other state. Another license would only be necessary if your license was to terminate and you needed to reapply in our state."

While this is good news for me, I can't say for certain whether this is a universal position, held by all 50 state boards.

I'm still waiting to hear back from NCARB.

Jun 14, 11 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

a license question:

i have my california license over five years in good standing and active. because of california requirements at the time and as applied to me, i was not required idp training. what do i do now , let's say i want to get a license in another state, would my active license be good enough to apply for a license in another state or i have to do idp and become an intern?

Jun 14, 11 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Orhan ... provided you hold an NCARB certificate, since you're already licensed in CA, it's doubtful you'd need to do anything other than apply for reciprocity in that other state.

Jun 14, 11 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Orhan ... if you don't already hold NCARB certification, you can explore what's needed to accomplish that at this link: http://www.ncarb.org/Certification-and-Reciprocity.aspx

Jun 14, 11 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Interesting...

Phillip, congrats on passing the tests! I'm still about half way through. With the new policy changes in PA, I'm actually hearing of a lot of younger folks taking the tests earlier. I'm planning a vacation after I pass the rest. Finally may see Japan again.

Jun 14, 11 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

thanks, philarch...

thanks for the info quiz, that's helpful, although you're right that it might not be a universal thing...

Jun 14, 11 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

thank you quiz.

i tried to understand the process but sounds overly complicated and every turn heavily translates into dollar figures. i guess i will live and die a california architect.;.(

and, if i get a large enough job in an other state, share the riches and work with a friend or an architect of the record there. 

it is over regulated and arduous. even though they examine you the same, (even we have dreaded oral exam here in california in addition to the uniform ARE) they only let you be the architect in your state only, unless you start yet another series of information gathering and apply with heavy fees starting from initial 1500$... 

hey phillip, congratulations on your license!

Jun 14, 11 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Hmm, interesting.  I think I will reach out more specifically to the two states I am looking at and see if I can get a more direct interpretation.  The Illinois law seems pretty adamant - given that they actually bother to put the word "active" in all caps.  (!)  Perhaps just a case of over-reaching on the part of the Illinois dept of professional licensing...

Speaking of professional licensing, did anyone else find it sad, the number of official licenses you have to scroll through on your state web page just to get to "Architecture"??!  We are in some odd company.  I hate to sound snobbish but it's hard not to feel it a little demeaning to find oneself listed between Alarm Service Repairman and Auctioneer.

Jun 14, 11 10:30 pm  · 
 · 

hey what happened to the whole NCARB reciprocal licensure discussion?

Jun 15, 11 8:52 am  · 
 · 

nevermind i must have been in a temporary time-warp

Jun 15, 11 8:53 am  · 
 · 
****melt

I noticed it too Nam.  That was crazy. 

Morning all.

Jun 15, 11 8:57 am  · 
 · 
****melt

manta - Are you sure they are not in alphbetical order?  Architecture would go between Alarm and Auctioneer.  Just sayin' :o)

Jun 15, 11 9:00 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Ca-rayzy

Jun 15, 11 9:01 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

hello all,

it's been a hectic few weeks... traveling to boston and florida on the weekends and working, selling art and taking down art during the week...

i did indeed have the pleasure of meeting both aaron willette and nam over the past two weekends..whilst also getting reacquainted with AP and quilian... the world can be made quite small...and the archinect community is quite unique from this small cross section...and very generous as it turns out.

hope all are well...it's a beautiful day in nyc.

Jun 15, 11 9:43 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

Donna, mantaray, Phillip: Regarding the "initial license" question discussed above, this is the response NCARB provided to the inquiry I sent to them yesterday :

"NCARB requires that you maintain one active license for certification and it does not need to be the initial jurisdiction."

So, unless a specific jurisdiction has special requirements unique to their jurisdiction, this response, plus the one I posted yesterday at 5:48pm, would suggest fairly strongly that one does not need to maintain one's 'initial license' in order to keep valid a license obtained through reciprocity.

Still, it never hurts to check with whatever state boards are relevant to your own situation.

Jun 15, 11 10:37 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Thank you quizz, very interesting!

Tuna - yes definitely in alpha order - but the part that got me was the odd kind of company we keep, not the order it's in !

Jun 15, 11 10:52 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

quiz - thanks for that info.

@eljeffe - for people who do not have a professional degree NCARB certification is the only way they can gain reciprocity in most other states... 

Jun 15, 11 11:41 am  · 
 · 

just read some things that i wrote when working to get a teaching job 6+ years ago: i think i was smarter then. 

Jun 15, 11 12:02 pm  · 
 · 

cool, thanks quizz!!!

Jun 15, 11 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

steven did it have to do with selling real estate and math?

Jun 15, 11 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I'm late on this bandwagon but congratulations, Phillip!  Woohooooooo, architect!

Jun 15, 11 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

math and real estate are distinct sections on my cv, usually right at the top next to my mug shot

Jun 15, 11 6:16 pm  · 
 · 

orhan, getting your ncarb certificate is a little like going through IDP - you need to log all your activities for several years and file them with the master paper-pushers.

But, I may never have that chance thanks to IDP' overly rigid rules - who will hire an over-educated/over-experienced (RLA) designer for two months just to do CDs and some CA work? Oh well, I'm still thinking about taking the AREs in a few summers (even if I don't have IDP finished), after I get my cali supplemental LA exam wrapped up.

Hey donna, I may be teaching pro practice next year! care to share your course materials?

Jun 15, 11 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

Barry I'd be happy to.  Best part of our course is my co-teacher sets up three panel discussions each semester, the first arch grads 10 years out, the next grads 5 years out, the final grads from a year or two ago.  They just come and spend the whole 2.5 hour class period talking about what their path since graduation has been - a high percentage, unsurprisingly, are no longer practicing architecture at all.  The students really learn a lot (not necessarily stuff they want to know!).  I also have a fun contract/psuedo client assignment.  Remind me in August - I'm about to head out to teach at GSA for three weeks so I've got that on my mind.

Jun 15, 11 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

thanks Donna, I really like those panels. Was probably gonna do some firm visits, have them create a 'business plan', and perhaps tackle some ethics too. not sure how much I can squeeze into ten weeks.

have fun at the GSA!

Jun 15, 11 9:25 pm  · 
 · 

Oh my goodness, I thought I had to be in Kentucky tomorrow but turns out I don't have to be there until FIRDAY so I just gained an entire day wahoo!  I am feeling so much more relaxed right now than I have for the last 96 hours...

Thanks for the NCARB info, quizzical.  I went ahead and sent off my letter putting my PA license on inactive status.  I am still a current NCARB member though, even though it cost way more than I was expecting this year.

Some friends brought rose wine over last week and we didn't open the bottle while they were here.  Since I suddenly have 24 hours of freedom, I opened it.  Not sure what I think yet but it tastes like the kind of wine that tastes better the more of it you drink!

Jun 15, 11 10:20 pm  · 
 · 

By the way everyone, if you're in the mood for a slow, moody, very beautiful movie that is also very architectural, I suggest I Am Love with Tilda Swinton.  It's Italian, subtitled, and gorgeous - the house the family lives in is modern-deco and amazing, and every shot, outfit, table setting, view etc. is visually considered.  really beautiful movie.

Jun 15, 11 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

good movie!

Jun 15, 11 10:42 pm  · 
 · 

hi all... busy days for everyone. I've just finished compiling my logbook (equivalent to your IDP) and will submit it at the end of the month. Also I'll be road tripping in July from Cleveland to Miami (indirectly via NYC) so do look out - I may be coming to a neighbourhood near you

Jun 15, 11 11:04 pm  · 
 · 

for pro practice our final assignment was to compete with other firms (groups in the class) for a project, creating fake body of work and a pitch to a fake client (prof and his friends).  was amazingly cynical but educational.  A+ to the winner, A to the other 2 finalists and crap grades to everyone else.  he also set us straight on the connection between religion politics and which power blocks to join in order to get jobs.  amazing class.  not fun but a sincere cold bucket of water on the head.

Jun 16, 11 2:35 am  · 
 · 

david, let me know if you come through philadelphia on your way from NYC to miami...

Jun 16, 11 9:15 am  · 
 · 

david, Gainesville at that far out of the way.....

Morning all.

Jun 16, 11 9:38 am  · 
 · 

Jump, that's the brutal reality of practice, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to fail 3/4th of the class just to be realistic. I'd rather be more of a mentor to the kids... I'm pretty excited about teaching pro practice next year, also looking at landscape theory, and environmental analysis on top of several studios. But my the teaching assignment isn't official yet, so all I can do is spin my wheels and speculate.

Jun 16, 11 11:32 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

it is freakin' hot here in the delta.

Jun 16, 11 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Vado, it's hot here too.  Makes me think of this song.

Jun 16, 11 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

So I've been trying to up my readership on the ol' blog by doing more DIY, posting photos with every post, and posting it on pinterest.  It's been working, I had 40 views yesterday, and I never get more than 18 unless I post a link here.

Then today, I've only had 3 views.  Is the internet broken?  It must be.  Right?

Jun 16, 11 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

What?!  Canadians rioting?  I didn't think they got upset about anything!

Jun 16, 11 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Canadians are hot under the Collar! Tossing cars and such. 

Jun 16, 11 6:52 pm  · 
 · 

who do you think burned down the white house in 1812, sarah (OK, i know we were still british then, but still...)?

we got idiots just like any other country.

@ barry, he didn't fail anyone (i think) but it still wasn't nice.  being cynical already i found that class fairly easy, but i can't say it was really a good example to follow.  Of the pro-practice type courses we had in grad school i think the only one that was actually useful later on was the one called legal practice.  wish i had someone like you or donna in charge when i went through it all...

Jun 16, 11 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Sarah, one of primary reasons for riots in Canada, is the drinking culture up here. Drinking age is 19, and with it you get all kinds of dumbass behavior. When it comes to drinking, Americans (shockingly) come across as learned bourgeois in comparison. 

Jun 16, 11 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Rusty, I don't believe you.  We have 13-17 year olds binging on everclear and redbull, and then not waking up in the morning.

Jun 16, 11 8:36 pm  · 
 · 

we can buy beer from drink machines here.  and everyone knows japanese people are very polite.  am sure there is a correlation.  canada should do the same and then the riots will never happen again.for realsies.

Jun 17, 11 2:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: