Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Thanks, Phillip.

Steven it's freaking cold here too - they're predicting a dusting of snow Saturday boooooo!

Mar 25, 11 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

damn where is the "oh fuck, I love it!" button. Great and true words Phillip, Donna is a kick-ass architectural superwoman in stiletto boots!

so I'm on vacation this weekend.... booze, Architects Awards Dinner, I plan to be shit face and legless!!!

Mar 25, 11 8:42 pm  · 
 · 

I'm posting form the shittiest hotel room experience I've ever faced right now. Steven, the Galt House is the place the guy built totally without code adherence because he de-annexed the land from the city during construction or something like that, right? Good lord this building should be obliterated. Nice staff, though.

Mar 25, 11 9:07 pm  · 
 · 

You got it, Donna. Lucky you. Glad they put you up in style.

Mar 26, 11 5:15 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Ok, Donna, you have me very curious now.

Mar 26, 11 10:02 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

saw this in the paper this morning - kinda cute.

Mar 27, 11 11:18 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

worth repeating, from good ole rusty:

I also do birthday parties and substantial completion walkthroughs.

Ha! That made me snort.

Mar 27, 11 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

omg, rhymes with orange is still around! I used to love that comic back in the day but my paper stopped carrying it years ago. hallelujah - now I can start my day with it again!

Mar 27, 11 11:48 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah, just a weird place that feels maze-like and cramped and slightly off. ALl the ceilings feel a little low. My room was a suite, but the room you walk into from the hall had no windows at all - which should never, ever be allowed, IMO, for a non-utility type room - and the bedroom had one small window looking straight into the parking garage deck 6' away, with a surface-mounted fluorescent tube shining into my window all night.

toaster I enjoyed that comic too. Now i have to do some drafting, after midnight, typical.

Mar 27, 11 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

small diversion for Donna (et al):

this looks AWESOME. Dia why have you been keeping these gems from us?!

Mar 28, 11 12:20 am  · 
 · 

Hahaha manta that looks awesome, but I have to admit I was hoping the link went to dia's prefab project he showed here awhile back.

dia, didn't you post a prefab project here awhile back? I didn't have time to look at it and want to - can you repost please?

Mar 28, 11 12:36 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Now I'm watching Smothers Brothers clips on youtube.

I wish I could put together a list of great comedy shows from each country so we get to share in each others' laughter. I put together a list awhile ago of Brit shows, I should track that down again. Some I knew but some had never really made it over to these shores. Just think how much we might be missing from New Zealand, Australia, Canada, etc! Actually one of my favorite recent shows is Canadian but it was such a fluke that I even found out about it.

Mar 28, 11 12:46 am  · 
 · 

so I must be dumb as f*ck or super tired. Our graduate students leave for their study tour of Boston and I looking through the lecture posters trying to find some interesting lecture for them to go to - but they all say fall 2010. Are there no 2011 spring posters? Or are lectures just not given during the winter/spring season?

Mar 28, 11 1:25 am  · 
 · 

techno you're NOT dumb as fuck! But *I am* super tired, so I'm going to bed. The mystery of the lecture series will have to be solved tomorrow.

Mar 28, 11 1:31 am  · 
 · 

ditto what donna said, archi. its the end of school year so i guess not much going on ?

love the smothers brothers! they soooo funny even today. pity they got censored and cut before i was even bornded. funny i was under impression they were canadian. must be the hippy vibe. btw if interested in clasic canadian humor, kids on the block has some amazing funny bits. also red green, and of course trailer park boys. its all good.

sounds weird funny donna.

Mar 28, 11 2:53 am  · 
 · 

there are definitely lectures going on... just check the schools' websites... or maybe the archinect lecture series poster project thingy...

if you're in philly, we have karim rashid tonight at upenn...

Mar 28, 11 8:46 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

SANAA is at MIT this week.

Mar 28, 11 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"SANAA is at MIT this week."

If you bring a cardboard box to the lecture, SANAA will sign it for you.

Mar 28, 11 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

first day of spring quarter... interdisciplinary urban design studio with landscape architecture dept. to develop a state owned site (up for sale) in inland empire.. there are existing buildings on site to be preserved/re-purposed. this will be interesting work.

Mar 28, 11 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

I can't hear the term Inland Empire without starting to hum a tune by Cracker.

Mar 28, 11 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

orhan sounds very interesting... can't wait to hear more...

Mar 28, 11 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

Hey I just noticed this book from the reviews section. Any necters read Infrastructure as Architecture: Designing Composite Networks??

Sounds interesting. The use of the word coupling makes me think of the recent Pamphlet #30

Mar 28, 11 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
dia

mantaray/Donna,

The Topp Twins - they are amazing. Real kiwi cultural icons and very interesting people.

I am busy putting in 2 entries to the Holcim awards, one for this and one for that.

D

Mar 28, 11 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I thought the Holcim awards closed 3/23?????

Mar 28, 11 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
dia

If you registered, you have until tomorrow, or more specifically, 1 day 12:20:14 hours

Mar 28, 11 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Good luck! Recently got to see a presentation by the founder of the awards. Pretty interesting gent - seemed not to be blinded by flashy graphics but really more interested in the worth of the ideas in the projects. Sadly this sometimes seems a rare characteristic in arch. jury members.

Mar 28, 11 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

No I didn't make that. It was already on the internets.

Mar 28, 11 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I wish I were one of those charming people. How do I do that? I'm not even friends with charming people. Any tips?

I also have childrens songs stuck in my head.
well I went down south for to see my Sal, singing Polly Wally doodle all the day...

Ah, my life is grrrRate!

Mar 29, 11 8:47 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

sarah - embrace your inner nerd.

completely unrelated, but interesting: retro futurism

Mar 29, 11 9:17 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I love how the first image has a polar bear rug.

Mar 29, 11 9:21 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

triple post -

the link is via planetizen.com

manta - I'm convinced that half the people on these juries cannot read plans.

Mar 29, 11 9:55 am  · 
 · 

Each one better than the last! Thanks for those, toaster.

The second one looks like 56 Leonard. And I love the TVs in all of them!

Mar 29, 11 11:59 am  · 
 · 
Purpurina

Hello everyone!

And yes the drawings are great!

Mar 29, 11 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

who remembers John Prolly?
http://vimeo.com/21627302

Mar 29, 11 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

I remember John Prolly! What a great name!

Mar 29, 11 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

he's all types of internet famous within the fixed gear cycling scene!

Mar 29, 11 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

those are great toast. i was briefly overwhelmed by cyncism and wondered where the morlocks are, especially in those urban images. but then settled down and enjoyed the glorious future that awaits us.

Mar 29, 11 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I remember John Prolly, and I now always use prolly instead of probably when messaging/texting etc. Quite something for someone who has never used LOL (woops).

One Holcim entry down, one to go. I figured I can get 460m2 of prefabricated structure/space from the contents of one 40ft container.

d

Mar 29, 11 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

dia I'll take the S4-03 please (the biggest one, of course - I'm American).

They're beautiful! Really lovely and hit all the important eco topics. Plus raised up works in my flood plain area. So as soon as our levee breaks and our insurance comes through for a replacement house, I'll give you all a call!

Mar 29, 11 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
dia

special Donna discount...

Mar 29, 11 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I'm a 3rd, 3rd, 3rd kind a guy. A Boat, A pickup, and a Mobile....now if you can prefab that, I'm all in.

Mar 29, 11 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

hi pixel! figured out a school yet?

Dia me to please. Would I have to make an office visit to get the S series?
And another question what is market you are targeting, second cottage, back of the house studio?

Night all.

Mar 29, 11 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

thanks for the heads up on the SANAA lecture at MIT, I'll see if I can find some details and send off to the students

Mar 29, 11 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
dia

nam,

the key idea is essentially a building product, so ultimately, architects will specify the product (and others) and ARKit will be an extended technical supplier of IP and product.

At the moment, we are a design & build company based in Melbourne, with projects in Australia, NZ and India. And perhaps Indiana. Most of our projects are small one off buildings, but we are equally looking at, and capable of multi-unit buildings - even potentially zero-carbon.

snook, we have been asked more than once to put one on a barge for a house boat. Then you just need the pickup.

d

Mar 29, 11 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

(he he he he he)

Mar 30, 11 12:14 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

name that formation

Mar 30, 11 12:24 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Well, skipped passed an unchecked e-mail from fly-by-night-doctor. Mysterious condition slightly less mysterious. Although, at the time of the test, I was apparently bordering on end-stage renal failure. Going back for a repeat tomorrow.

Insurance stops April 1.

And I never got a real sit down professional interview with a place I was at least somewhat excited to be a part of.

Mar 30, 11 1:16 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Unicorn dude. That's horrible. I hope a speedy recovery is possible.

As you may know such condition is covered by Medicare for patients of any age, so there is at least that.

Hope your next test reveals a slightly less serious condition. Hang in there.

Mar 30, 11 1:53 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Well, the doctor thinks I "stroked" off one or more times. Basically, the scenario being proposed is that I've developed a clot in both of the arteries that lead to the kidneys. It sometimes resolves itself on its own. But it explains a lot of things.

Unfortunately, depending on how the blood supply down there is going, I could have a few infractions already (tissue death).

What's presumably made this worse is if it is thrombosis, blockage or a "flow" issue... then my super high blood pressure is actually caused by that. Meaning, the body realizes something is all clogged up and has decided to "push it out" by drastically increasing my blood pressure.

Unfortunately, my first doctor thought my blood pressure could have been causing some distress (in my otherwise healthy kidneys at the time). Well, blood pressure medicine and thrombosis doesn't mix apparently.

If it is thrombosis or another blockage issue, there's actually a cure (anticoagulants to dissolve the clot... or a lot of water and handful of diuretics). Once the blockage is cleared, I also won't have high blood pressure anymore! Two for one.

Second option is that my kidneys have just crapped out. Nothing to do.

Third option is that I have cancer or a tumor in my brain or in my adrenal glands. Not curable at this point.

Fourth option-- Sarcoidosis or Lupus. Low on the list of possibilities.

I've talked it over with the new doctor and will more than likely not pursue treatment as dialysis or a transplant will only extend the time by a few years and not offer much in terms of quality of life. So, if nothing seems to work and I'm on my way down to craptown...

I get to talk to my very own Obama Death Panel™.

Mar 30, 11 2:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: