Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Rusty!
Mar 9, 11 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

Wisconsin. I could just cry.

Sorry, back to pot references. Anyone holding? I could use some.

Mar 9, 11 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Mar 9, 11 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

For you Donna.

Mar 9, 11 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

WI is code for the West Indies. And I suspect 420 is code for uhmm weed. Very interesting when you think about it.

Somewhere between drunk and hungover, checking to see if I was graced with an email too. Ahhh yes

Dear archintoeltopehiela,
I always appreciate your input and your careful thought in sharing all things architecture. I also appreciate your knowledge-ability on Jamaican dance hall music and dagger dancing.

I really ought to think you should post more.

And I apologize that I never wrote an article to submit to your journal. I was far too busy drinking white wine at 10 a.m. to ever get anything done.

ahhh Uni you are star! From troll to gentleman in one swift move. In the words of S.E. Hinton, "Stay gold ponyboy"

Mar 10, 11 1:08 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I also appreciate that mr. sparkles mcUnicorn Esq. thinks I'm awesome. but seriously, dude - you need help... more so than the rest of us.

donna - just show up at any steak'n'shake at around 2am and a bleary-eyed HS kid will hook you up. unless things have changed in the past 10 years...

Mar 10, 11 1:58 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

humm...I've got the munchies.....damn I know there is a dark chocolate bar burried in my file cabinet somewhere among other collectables I haven't had a need for in years. I guess I will spend the rest of the day..admiring old shit... and enjoying the day. That munchie craving....is coming on strong..

Mar 10, 11 8:05 am  · 
 · 

Wow, "Stay gold, Ponyboy". I haven't heard those words in nearly a lifetime! Nice, techno.

Mar 10, 11 8:19 am  · 
 · 

morning all....

Been absent due to illness and catching up at work. Maybe that is why i didn't get an email...

Anywho, happy 420 yall. Can you believe we made it this far?

Mar 10, 11 8:45 am  · 
 · 
Purpurina

Good 420 morning everyone...catching up as well.
Snook, I got the munchies for cocoa cereal for the past week..weird...
I didn't get an email either from the rusty-unicorn...lucky me?
Donna, any good poetry suggestions?

Mar 10, 11 9:00 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Ok, so are we filling up the whole page with pottage? Hmmm, let me think...

AH, I got one...

Texas Style ;~)

Mar 10, 11 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Of course, now I'll have that stuck in my head all day.

Mar 10, 11 9:55 am  · 
 · 

i guess i'll just check out for a page or so: i have no experience with pot and even lack much of the cultural knowledge that surrounds it.

Mar 10, 11 10:32 am  · 
 · 

Serious question about pot: when I was in high school (mid-80s), the common units of pot for sale were either a dime bag or a nickel bag, with dime being most popular. A dime bag was $10, and was a sandwich-sized baggie filled to two fingers high - about 1-1/2"x the width of the baggie. The nickel bag was one largish finger-sized bud, basically, or about half the dime bag.

I used the term "dime bag" with my students last week, as a joke, and they giggled: but what does "dime bag" mean these days?

I wish pot was legal. I don't smoke it, these days, but if it was legal I probably would enjoy it every now and again when I had a weekend without any work to do (rare).

Mar 10, 11 10:43 am  · 
 · 

me too steven... never tried it myself even though it was around all the time in college (one of my roommates smoked pretty much all day every day, it was the first thing he did every morning)... but for some reason no one (not even my wife or parents) believes me when i tell them that i've never tried it...

Mar 10, 11 11:02 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Purpurina:"I didn't get an email either from the rusty-unicorn...lucky me?"

Brilliant work there Nancy Drew. I'm also your momma.

Mar 10, 11 11:06 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Don't know, Donna. I can ask a student or two for you. I was surprised the cost different between the south and north when I went to college. I never bought any, but a quarter, which was a quarter ounce, was 25 bucks down here, and was a lot more up in Philly. Like the dime bag, I always thought it was a quarter because of the 25 dollar price.

Computer crashed while writing this. I asked a student, and he said it's 2-3 grams, so same meaning. Maybe they just giggled cause you're a teacher.

Mar 10, 11 12:02 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah, don't get in trouble for asking minors about illegal drugs!

Mar 10, 11 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

donna, as far as I know dime bag means the same thing it always did...

Mar 10, 11 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

I never had a problem with rusty unicorns...

Mar 10, 11 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh, I was sly. I typed it in the notepad section of my iphone, and then just showed it to the kid. He's a good kid, and he just laughed. He then whispered under his breath an answer, but I only let him get half the answer out. No need to really talk about such things, right? So in the end, we really didn't have a conversation, and I never asked, and he never answered.

Crazy. I feel like a spy.

Mar 10, 11 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Oh Sarah, are we going to be reading the rest of that story in a newspaper?

"A sub arrested for sexting her student and offering him drugs"

Purpina, I am not unicorn you knucklehead.

Mar 10, 11 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

...now I do.

Mar 10, 11 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

Purprina, rusty and unicorn are two different people. Really.

Mar 10, 11 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Unless it's Donna-rusty-unicorn. In which case Donna-rusty-unicorn is not to be trusted.

Mar 10, 11 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

from their posts they may be two different people with several personalities.

Mar 10, 11 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Haha, no way. I'm not a Sub, I'm a student teacher.

Mar 10, 11 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Here is my contribution: Did you know that THC (the chemical in weed) occurs naturally in our brains? It is the chemical that enables the different parts of our brain to talk to each other. That's why you can feel simultaneously dumb and really smart when high... your brain pathways aren't following their normal routes, but rather drawing new connections. It is actually an important chemical in learning. Disclaimer: Smoking pot is harmful to developing brains.

Mar 10, 11 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

In this case, I apologize to you rustystuds, for putting rusty on the unicorn or the unicorn on your rusty. Also you are too quick on your horns calling me a name, what was not so cool of you. Perhaps, you got really insulted with an honest mistake?

Mar 10, 11 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Oops, I have another contribution - legalizing hemp would provide us with a ton of material to manufacture very useful, inexpensive and sustainable products made in the USA. How about that for a green job?

Mar 10, 11 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

pupurina...you're really upset about being called a knucklehead?

Mar 10, 11 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

archi, concerning your knowledge-ability on Jamaican dance hall music and dagger dancing

I thought you might be enjoy this 25 Years of Dancehall mix

Mar 10, 11 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

hey - watch your f-ing language! this is a family website.

Mar 10, 11 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I got a letter, twas good

Mar 10, 11 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

a rusty unicorn is a beautiful image. ...like something i'd like to airbrush onto the back of a leather jacket....

Mar 10, 11 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

Nam - thanks for the link; I'm going to play it as I draft for a couple. I'll see if I can resist signing at the top of my lungs.

So it's interesting how currency and culture changes things like drug references. We don't have dimes or nickles, but we do have a draw slip and $100 bag which are a spliff pre-rolled and a plastic bag or saran wrap with a small amount in it, respectively.

To my knowledge I thought hemp was legal as a product, but illegal to grow? Does it even matter though, hemp refers to the grass not the buds. But I guess as it deals with contraband best to illegalize it all.

Philip I believe you not to worry. I was 24 before I ever tried - although I too spent much of my formative years with it around me. I will admit that I knew how to roll at least 3 different ways.

Locally the government spends incredible amounts of money enforcing the laws that keep it illegal. My own views are cognizant of international laws, and believe it should be legal to consume locally and highly illegal to export... so if you want it, come for vacation. Of course one would ask how is this different from what happens now.

Also I wanted to share a link with you. I published a list from A to Z of significant works of architecture in movies. Do check it out and make suggestions for any that I may have missed

Mar 10, 11 4:19 pm  · 
 · 

a question, does anyone know how to disable vectorworks connecting to the internet?

Mar 10, 11 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Atechno...

Use a program that tracks incoming/outgoing internet and remote server traffic.

If vectorworks is accessing internet addresses through your connection-- such as server1.vectorworks.com-- you can block those using the hosts file. You can find the hosts file in "\system32\drivers\etc\." Open it with note pad and type in "127.0.0.1 (a space) server1.vectorworks.com."

If Vectorworks is contacting IP addresses... that's a bit more complicated. At that point, just buy Kaspersky AV and use the anti-virus software to block internet traffic for Vectorworks.

Mar 10, 11 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

However, I think Vectorworks is one of those programs that must be annoyingly connected to the internet. So, I'm pretty sure that blocking its internet traffic would make it worthless.

Mar 10, 11 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wow, talk about incognito. Who is that, and how did you do that?

Mar 10, 11 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

That was unicorn farts. Being farty again.

Mar 10, 11 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

invisible unicorn

Mar 10, 11 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

techno, it is illegal to cultivate hemp in the states, the feds have a zero tolerance policy and make no distinction. Hemp products are imported, usually from Canada.

Mar 10, 11 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

arch...
i'm pretty sure that the diamond ranch high school is in another movie as well.

the big lebowski def has a significant house in it..just can't remember which one at the moment.

surely the guggenheim bilbao has been in a movie.

i know for a fact that pacino is living in thom mayne's house in the movie 'Heat'.

i'm sure there are a ton more.... i know that 'the departed' has the police department in a rudolph building for instance.

i'll think through my movies later and see if i can't find a few more.

Mar 10, 11 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

apparently DRHS has been in "The Cell, Orange County, Serenity and Live Free or Die Hard."

Mar 10, 11 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

The caltrans building by morphosis has been in at least:

_Mr. & Mrs. Smith
_The Island
_Fun With Dick & Jane
_Mission Impossible 3
_Because I Said So

ok..back to work...

Mar 10, 11 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
dia

The Sheats Goldstein House is in The Big Lebowski - amongst other things.

I also saw it in an episode of 'How did you get so rich?' with Joan Rivers (dont ask me why I watched it) talking to Jim Goldstein - the link via the John Lautner Foundation

Also, Guggenheim Bilbao is in the opening of the Bond film, The World is Not Enough.

Mar 10, 11 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
dia

A tour of the Sheats Goldstein house

Mar 10, 11 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

techno, would Blade Runner count? Didn't it use the Ennis House as Deckert's main residence (not that every scene was shot there - I'm not sure what you're criteria is for how much time the house is on screen)?

Mar 10, 11 7:07 pm  · 
 · 

wasn't the ennis house in gattaca too?

Mar 10, 11 7:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: