Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Rusty!

Donna, congrats on becoming an evil corporation! How does it feel to have no soul? :)

Mar 7, 11 11:57 am  · 
 · 

so, if donna's become a corporation, does that mean she's got more rights than a person now?!

Mar 7, 11 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i wrote myself a couple of paychecks as we had a direct deposit snafu. how long til the pot page starts?

Mar 7, 11 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Donna, do you have to have shareholder meetings now?

Soon, vado. How should we celebrate?

Mar 7, 11 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Quite at my lunch table today. Too quiet.

Congrats, Donna, I think. I don't know much about that stuff.

I knew you could do it, snook.

I went to an Irish festival yesterday. Stopped by the scottish village to see what clan Husband belonged to only to find he's his own clan, and they have their own island. They weren't represented at the festival either. Had a great time, and learned Abe likes to watch the girls dance. Such a boy.

Mar 7, 11 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Donna Inc. requires a speaking engagement fee payment before she will post in this thread again.

Pay up non-persons!

Mar 7, 11 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

rusty you're a genius.

Mar 7, 11 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

All ya'll, make sure you catch all the excitement over at the March 2011 thread. The results are trickling in. Generation next is on its way to redesigning your sorry ass.

I remember getting my acceptance letter. 60 students out of 800+ applicants. I felt so good about myself. So proud. So young. So dumb.

Speaking of, does anyone want to start an interstate lottery pool? We can have a ball suing each other after we win.

Mar 7, 11 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I was serious when I said the snow is becoming rivers. This is a shot of one of our local roads, notice the yellow line in the photo. No the local ice truck did not turn over on the road.

Mar 7, 11 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

Jeez, snook! That's insane!

Mar 7, 11 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Snook, I don't understand. How did that happen?

Mar 7, 11 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Icebergs!!! Straight ahead!!!

Hi TC

Mar 7, 11 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Sarah,

There is a river to the right of the road. I assume there was an ice dam, which resulted in the river backing up over the road and well when the dam broke the river dropped rapidly, resulting in a bunch of icebergs left behind on the road. Then again it could have been those pesky guys from outerspace.....mixing things up again.

Mar 7, 11 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

wait - I thought donna was already the man...

so - we got the IDP thread last week - now we've got the complaining about how people complain about how architecture sucks thread, the architecture schools sucks thread, the architects suck because they aren't landscape architects thread.... I think we're getting back to normal - which probably means there's work again.

Mar 7, 11 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

toaster, we're not in the clear until we have a three page thread about lunch'n'learn sammiches.

Mar 7, 11 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Mmmmm lunch-n-learn sammy's. It's been a while since I've had one of those. Speaking of... our resource library is so out-of-date. One of our tile reps came in a couple of weeks ago and went through her lines. I couldn't believe how many companies no longer exist and how may lines have been discontinued, It will be interesting to see how all the vendors faied once they all start coming in again to update our library.

Mar 8, 11 8:35 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I'm not optimistic. Rising gas prices we the beginning of the economic downturn last time, and now they're on the rise again. I give up.

Mar 8, 11 10:27 am  · 
 · 

Sarah, I agree. I also just realized exactly how much I'll be paying in payroll taxes now that I'm my own employee. Yowza. Somehow it was easier to handle as one lump payment April 15! My accountant assures me I'll be happier this way, but ugh. It hurts. Many, many days I just want to be an employee again.

Mar 8, 11 10:33 am  · 
 · 

a few other little things happened in between the rise in gas prices and the big bust. i doubt gas prices are a reliable signal.

Mar 8, 11 11:39 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

god i just put 35 bucks in my honda civic.

Mar 8, 11 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Stephen, you really think so? I mean, sure, I know that there was housing markets, diabolical marketing, ect before, but gas hits everybody at home, and causes people to cut back on buying other things, causes prices to go up on everything from delivery to food costs. It seems a bit of a domino effect.

Mar 8, 11 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Sarah, oil peaked back in June of 2008 at just over $4.15/gallon. Price crashed down along with the economy since then. We are long ways from that peak, but to suggest that recession wouldn't have happened if the oil prices didn't spike in '08 seems kind of silly.

Do you honestly believe that you'd still be working in architecture if it weren't for oil prices?

Mar 8, 11 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

The price of corn has doubled in the last six months.

Mar 8, 11 1:18 pm  · 
 · 

My sense in fall '08 was that one of the main reasons people weren't rioting in the streets was that gas prices - which had everyone angry - had dropped significantly. so the $50 fill up had ended and people were able to spend that money on groceries.

Like Sarah said - high gas affects everything, AND right now people are ripe for fury. IMO.

Mar 8, 11 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

No, I don't think I would have a job still, the housing/bank mess still would've happened. I just wonder if the gas increase will halt the recovery. The news says that people are starting to hire again, though I haven't seen much, and as stated before, the threads are turning around - not that Archinect is a true indicator of the times, I just wonder.

People also seem more sensitive to the gas increase this time than they were last time.

Mar 8, 11 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Fair enough Sarah.

Increased oil prices WILL hurt the recovery of an economy that traditionally relies on luxury goods sales as a measuring stick for success.

Either way, US is fucked in the long run. 30 cent increase on the cheapest gas in the world is sending people to the poor house. What will happen when oil prices double? Does half of America become enslaved to the transportation box?

This is when 'personal choice and responsibility' bleeds all over 'tragedy of the commons'.

Stop driving so much America. No more lame excuses. You're only spiting your future self.

anyways, we need all this oil to create waterproofing products. Will someone think of the poor waterproofing???

Mar 8, 11 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

words of the day, thanks to david brooks:

Attunement: the ability to enter other minds and learn what they have to offer.

Equipoise: the ability to serenely monitor the movements of one’s own mind and correct for biases and shortcomings.

Metis: the ability to see patterns in the world and derive a gist from complex situations.

Limerence: This isn’t a talent as much as a motivation. The conscious mind hungers for money and success, but the unconscious mind hungers for those moments of transcendence when the skull line falls away and we are lost in love for another, the challenge of a task or the love of God. Some people seem to experience this drive more powerfully than others.

Mar 8, 11 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Lack of stability and predictabiblity is what is prolonging the recession, and that comes from globalization and technology. So it is here to stay, it isn't going away, we must learn to deal with it, and yes that might mean a lower standard of living in the first world, but it is still pretty damn good. All other economic ails fall under this umbrella of market and social volatility.

Mar 8, 11 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Very excited!

I have been working on an open-source prefab methodology for built structures (gotta shorten that) for a while, and today and tomorrow we are CNC routing the first prototype. Got an image back just now and it looks great!

Follow me on http://www.twitter.com/analogshelter

Mar 8, 11 7:12 pm  · 
 · 

hi all. Congrats on writing yourself a check Donna, no matter what that means. Although I'm sure you, like me, equate it with talking in the third person. It's odd that a generation of people will no longer know what checks are, much less the importance of penmanship for communicating fiscal service. Interesting indeed.

Mar 8, 11 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Thanks for the follow DC!

Mar 8, 11 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

the "reform arch school" is clearly a troll thread. engage at your own risk.

Mar 8, 11 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

I haven't got hate email from anyone on archinect in over a month!

WHAT'S THE DEAL!?

Mar 9, 11 2:42 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

P.S. I'm durnk.

I WILL PROBABLY EMAIL SOME PEOPLE TONIGHT!

Mar 9, 11 2:43 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

DONE. YOU ALL SHOULD HAVE AN EMAIL.

To those who haven't gotten e-mails, I will get around to it tomorrow when I get a fresh bottle of liquor.

Mar 9, 11 3:15 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Jeez, Glitz, you killed the thread!

Mar 9, 11 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Glitter's a narc. He doesn't want us to get to 420.

Mar 9, 11 2:05 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks to the eye-searing colors of the graphics for Naptown's Monument Circle Idea Competition website, I've been on a tear of 80s music videos while drafting this afternoon. man, we were so blissfully ignorant in the 80s, just dancing and ignoring the threat of nuclear annihilation. A much simpler time.

Mar 9, 11 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Tenderness, dancing.
Mar 9, 11 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

my suggestion for the "idea competition" is to stop blasting right wing talk radio from whatever station it is that has its studio there next to the au bon pain. also they should move the civil war museum out of the monument and put in a disco that only plays 80's music.

Mar 9, 11 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

I just noticed after laundry last night that all my favorite corduroy pants have holes on the back and I think I'm not yet prepared to let them go....

Mar 9, 11 4:44 pm  · 
 · 

OMG. I've had the pleasure of reading some really amazing poems the last few days, for my bus shelter project. I'm easily brought to tears, and good poetry is one of the best ways to make me cry.

(Poorly performed music is the fastest way to make me laugh.)

Mar 9, 11 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I watched James Taylor and Carol King last night on a taped show....It was a real flash back to my youth.

Mar 9, 11 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
You are a thoroughly awesome bro/dude/man.

If you are a man. You could be a woman. Or a thoroughly convincing drag king. That's another email for another day.

Btu thank you for offering a good counterpoint to my shenanigans. I've always appreciated what you've brought to the table in terms of intellectual might and objective 'righteousness.'

Perhaps we will always agree to disagree. Or disagree to agree. But whatever the case, I value your insight as an academic and a professional.

I also feel disappointed that you can't be the person you want to be online in regards to your teaching and beliefs. However, students are students!

Please keep doing what you did.

Thanks Unicorn/Centaur!

Mar 9, 11 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Aw, I didn't get one.

Mar 9, 11 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

You can have mine Sarah. It's an erotic love letter. Maybe you were the intended recipient to begin with. I hope.

Mar 9, 11 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Rusty, you are the stud ;~)

Mar 9, 11 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Oh, what time is it??? 4 somethin'......

Picture time?

Mar 9, 11 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Mar 9, 11 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
LeTsGeTtHiSpArTyStArTeD

!!!

Mar 9, 11 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: