Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Also, now that i have seen the dumplings never mind. I gotcha looks kind of like a crumble....

Also, love your husbands costume...Maybe you should have a real beer inside?

Oct 27, 09 10:35 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

holy shit toaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is totally it! thank you so much it was killing me i couldnt remember the name of it....

Oct 27, 09 10:44 am  · 
 · 

gonna be a long day - one neighbor is getting their windows replaced and the other side is getting their chimney torn down and rebuilt... ah the sound of sawzalls and sledgehammers. Hope they don't pull out the masonry saw today.

Oct 27, 09 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

That sucks, Mr. Lehrman. Hope you have some good head phones.

Nam, I mean I rolled dough balls and dropped them into a boiling apple and syrup mixture. THen, just for fun, I topped the skillet with more dough, and baked it. Traditional Dumplings here are like chicken dumplings, but instead of chicken and veggies, we use apples and sugar. My favorite part is the uncooked dough, so I dont like the baked apples wrapped in pie dough.

And, technically the real beer was behind the iron on one since it was being onsumed in vast quantities. An actual bottle wouldnt have fit, though.

Oct 27, 09 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

barry - that's a good sign, though... it was awfully quiet on the residential construction front for a couple years, now there are at least 3 or 4 renovations going on my block alone - what's even better (depending on your perspective) is that it's mostly non-cosmetic and energy efficiency stuff - so that means people are planning on staying put for a while.

on a related note - If I ever get into residential work again I'd much rather be talking with homeowners about their current and future needs instead of spending most of our time talking about things they don't really want but are including because they supposedly increase resale value - like bathrooms in every corner of the house because all potential buyers are apparently incontinent.

Oct 27, 09 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

anyone else see this? This is why you're fat

Oct 27, 09 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Nam, that looks like the fairway at the State Fair of Texas!

Oct 27, 09 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

I've been meaning to post for a long time now regarding so many subjects, but end up deleting them (probably a smart move). But I have to post after seeing that apple dumpling

SH - The Pennsylvania Dutch / Amish (as you may know since I think you went to a school in Philly), make this CRAZY AMAZING apple dumpling where they put an entire apple whole (peeled and cored, but still whole) in dough and bake. And then they serve that up with real fresh heavy cream. Its downright evil and this is WHY I'M FAT. OK, not really, but this ties in with Nam's last post.

Nam - I think you posted before that your sister is doing better and is ready for full recovery. What a good thing to hear.

TK & LB - I cracked up at that cheez whiz thing. That was hilarious. Although I think cheesesteaks are meant to be eaten with sharp provolone. And how is it possible that TK and .med posted on the same exact topic (M&A)? I'm 99.99% sure they're not the same person...

Oct 27, 09 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Slarti-
not .med. note the time signature, we cross posted probably moments after we either got a phone call or overheard a phone call from a hysteric EB employee that had just heard the news.

I'm a provolone fan for my steaks, never liked process cheese in any form. if there was such a thing as a boston cheese steak, I'd take mine with sharp vermont cheddar please. but in philly, I'll do provolone with 'shrooms and peppers.

Oct 27, 09 8:30 pm  · 
 · 

Funny folks tell me I'm a snob because I don't like processed cheese, but tk and lb I'm with you a 100% I'd almost prefer to have a philly without the cheese.

Nam glad your sister is doing better, and gets to leave the hospital - I'm sure that's a big relief for the family. Keep us up to date on her progress.

WK got your email re the shooting at ASU this morning before class - it was on my mind as I went to work/school, sad occurrence really. Also on an unrelated note wish you luck on your Wonderman search - I'll see if I can find any mds

Oct 27, 09 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

An apple and a little dough, slart, that's not making you fat - not like the greasefests on that website!

I spent some time at Ball State this morning and feel reinvigorated but! utterly exhausted. I don't think I can even stay awake for John Stewart tonight.

Sarah, your usage of "son of a bitch" up there is perfect - made me laugh.

beta, I'm fairly certain I saw Skinny Puppy (and KMFDM?) in Phoenix when I was in college.

Oct 27, 09 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Greetings, all.... I have a WWTCD dilemma.

I've finalized the list of M.Arch. programs I'm applying to, and I've begun the process of getting my shit together.

The schools:

University of Cincinnati
Harvard GSD
University of Oregon
City College of New York
Ohio State University
University of Kentucky

Before I had finalized this list, I enrolled in a remedial algebra/trig class at a local community college under the assumption that I would eventually need to take calculus to get into an M.Arch. program. However, it turns out that only GSD and City College have the calculus prerequisite, and neither school is among my top choices.

I went into this algebra class thinking it would be an easy A, but a few problems have cropped up. First, the instructor barely speaks English, and is generally a crappy teacher. Second, I was absolutely shitty at algebra in high school, and I'm still absolutely shitty at it now. It involves lots of rote memorization, which is something I've always been terrible at. The instructor also has a nasty habit of assigning homework assignments on topics that haven't even been covered in class.

Sad part is, I think I'm actually one of the better students in the section, but 90% of the material is still way over my head. Funny how I can get an easy A in the summer studio at Columbia, but still risk bombing a remedial 000-level algebra class at a community college.

Other factors to consider:

It's too late to change to a different section, or to get a refund on any of my tuition money. Next week is the deadline to withdraw and still have it listed as a "W" on the transcript.

The class would have counted toward my undergrad degree (sort of -- it's complicated), but it's not required. There are other ways I can fulfill that particular requirement for my degree.

The workload for this class is seriously cutting into time I could otherwise be spending on my thesis project and portfolio.

I've already sent my transcripts from this school to prospective grad schools, so a "W" grade or worse probably won't factor into admissions decisions. The transcripts would show the course still being in progress.

So, I'm faced with the following two options:

A) Withdraw from the class, eat the tuition, have a W on my transcripts, and scratch Harvard and City College off my list of prospective grad schools.

B) Stick it out, risk getting a crappy grade that would weigh down an otherwise good GPA, and have less time to devote to my thesis and portfolio.

I'm leaning strongly toward Option A... I should have grades from the midterm exam tomorrow evening, which will probably be a big factor.

Oct 27, 09 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

gee beta, i thought your favorite band would be, well TheBeTaBaNd!

Oct 27, 09 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

LIG, in answer to your question, I might stick it out if I were you. All of us have some sh*tty classes on our undergrad transcript, and those can generally be viewed as an anomaly in an otherwise solid body of work. I tried to get a minor in civil engineering for a while in undergrad, started taking Statics and Dynamics, bombed it, got like a "D" I think, but still managed to have a good GPA on the whole. So you ought not to worry about that too much. Also, think of this as preparation for your Structures classes, since you'll need a bit of algebra and trig for those, and if you stay in the class at least it will be fresh in your mind and maybe you'll get it better the second time around.

Also, while I think UK is a good school, you should know what you're getting into if you apply there... behold, the only team at the Solar Decathlon to have not one but TWO "Cornhole" sets in front of their house on the National Mall. LOL. At least they came in 9th place! Oh, my old Kentucky home... (shakes head)

Oct 28, 09 12:40 am  · 
 · 

Gin - wow, you've really lined your ducks up. From what you've said it doesn't seem to be a major problem either way regarding the Algebra and schools you'd prefer to study. However you've snuck in that you are sending your transcripts despite having your thesis and portfolio outstanding <- imho that should be your bigger concern. However that said, I would lean towards B - only because despite the grades, and everything it is a good showing to those reviewing that you are a finisher, the grades notwithstanding. Like golf the follow through is integral to the shot you are making. Good luck!

TC help! I need an iconic building not greater than 2 maybe 3 three stories (no Corb, Rem or Murcutt)

Oct 28, 09 12:54 am  · 
 · 

what's a cornhole?

Oct 28, 09 1:05 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Cornhole is a game, known to normal states as "bean bag toss", where you toss your bean bags at the opposite board and try to land it in the hole. I lack hand-eye coordination so I find it unsatisfying but I guess a lot of people like it...

Oct 28, 09 1:16 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Hmm. I go back and forth on your dilemma, LiG. Will think on it.

WK, I've always thought that cornhole was something people with no hobbies did after they left college and were forced to leave beerpong behind.

Oct 28, 09 1:56 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

atp -
pierre koenig's case study house?
Aldo van Eyck's orphanage
gigon|guyer's liner museum appenzell
h&dem's auf dem wolf

Oct 28, 09 2:50 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

atp:
Zumthor - Vals
Aalto - Säynätsalo, Muuratsalo
Märkli - La Congiunta

Oct 28, 09 4:36 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Thanks for the responses so far... Keep 'em coming. My grade on the recent midterm exam may turn out to be the deciding factor.

UK is more of a safety pick than anything else, but everything I've read seems to indicate that it's a decent program with a solid reputation. I was hoping to visit UK (and OSU) during a recent trip to Cincy, but unfortunately I wasn't able to squeeze it into my travel schedule. At least they apparently have a sense of humor... Too many architecture schools seem to take themselves way too seriously.

Atechno: As for thesis and portfolio, I'm a little confused about what you find concerning about it... Thesis won't be done until the spring, so it would be impossible for my transcripts to show it before the M.Arch. application deadlines. My portfolio will be done by the end of November, and printed and sent by the end of December in order to meet the deadlines. I also need to take a couple other classes during the spring, which won't be on my initial round of transcripts. The normal procedure is that once I get accepted into an M.Arch. program and decide to accept their offer of admission, I'd send them a final set of transcripts at the end of the spring semester that would include recent grades as well as degree conferral.

Oct 28, 09 7:01 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

LiG, I was just wondering about you yesterday. You seem pretty busy. I'm with the others on sticking it out, but thats more because thats the route that I always take.

Techno, though my list isnt as fancy as the others, we studied Aalto's Villa Marea freshman year, and I've always liked Mies' Barcelona Pavilian, and Scarpa's little museum in Venice - Cant for the lif of me remember its name. Its got a bridge, though.

SLart, the Apples covered in dough were exactly what I didnt want; too much apple, not enough boiled dough - which is the best part. I only used three apples in my dish.

I dont mind certain processed cheeses. I prefer the processed american over the 'real' american. But Cheese Steaks in general never tasted good to me. I want my meat with more seasonings and flavours. I saw an episode of Throwdown where some guy in philly puts a broccolii rabe on his. Sorry I missed that; it may have changed my opinion of the steak sandwich. And after typing that, I see what my problem is. I expect it to taste of mouth watering steak, and it tastes of greese and bread. Maybe it was just Pat's.

I've scheduled to take my Teaching Test on December 1st. The test questions seem pretty odd to me. ex.

Students in a middle school class have been studying the battle of the Alamo. The teacher plans a role-playing activity to help structure whole-class discussion about the Alamo. During the discussion, one student will play the role of a newspaper reporter and interview other
students who assume the roles of various historical figures (e.g., Santa Anna, Sam Houston, soldiers in the Mexican army). This instructional strategy is likely to promote students’ oral language
proficiency primarily by helping the students:

A. understand how differing points of view affect spoken messages.

B. recognize differences between spoken and written language.

C. learn how to adapt spoken language for informal occasions.

D. expand their speaking and listening vocabularies.

I'm going to go with A? What student is really going to think like that?

Oct 28, 09 8:27 am  · 
 · 

i'm biased, obviously, but i think uk has transcended its 'safety pick' status over the last couple of years. since michael speaks has come on as dean the roster of visiting professors, the flock of new faculty (8-10 just this year!), and the shop full of digital fabrication tools make it one to watch. and, as wonderk noted, 9th in the solar decathlon is pretty impressive for a first invite/first year of participation, cornhole or not!

i'm going to the school tonight to see joe tanney (resolution 4), with whom i co-taught in 2004. he's been a visiting critic this semester and lectures tonight. next wednesday is robert somol, and 11 november is monica ponce de leon and the architecture open house.

you should at least check out the open house, gin!

Oct 28, 09 8:41 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Self Taught Architect?

he is not a licensed architect in this state.

view #25. now i know this is a magazine saying this, but two things i think are important to note; first, is his responsibility to correct the record, and second, he has used this "notice" as part of his advertising. my professional hackles are raised, and i am considering filing a complaint, any thoughts?

Oct 28, 09 9:08 am  · 
 · 

a politely worded letter/email to the editor, beta. if the website is conscientious, they may even revise the language in that entry pretty quickly.

your hackles should be raised, but i'm also sure it's not intentional. if he's not on the architect path - just a design/build guy coming up out of a house remodeling background - he may not even know that there is a touchy issue here.

Oct 28, 09 9:18 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

steven, i was thinking about sending him a note as well, i don't want to make a decision based on emotion and feel it's necessary to give him a chance to rectify this. i think he's well intentioned does try to educate the public on green issues. my initial response to seeing this on a magazine back cover at the ywca really burned me...i think you're right though, and i don't want to come off wrong right out of the chute, bridges as they are.........

Oct 28, 09 9:25 am  · 
 · 

Slart and Sarah,
Personally, i think the version with an apple covered in dough sounds good.

LIG, good to here that you are on track and staying busy with the planning and finishing of coursework.

I would personally as an ethical/personal thing say stick it out. But if you don't need it for any of the Universities you would prefer to go to then maybe just drop it.

Sarah i would say B or D with regards to the test. Good luck i found when i took my teaching test it was a cinch.

Hi archi, holz, wonderK and everyone else......

Oct 28, 09 9:33 am  · 
 · 

ha! funny, we're all coming up with different answers to sarah's test question example. i picked C.

Oct 28, 09 10:09 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

yeah, i am going with A, each individual will have a point of view all their own...

Oct 28, 09 10:26 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Has anyone said D yet? I'm going with D.

But isn't the real answer:

E. None of the above; the purpose of this and all Alamo exercises is to reinforce in the student's worldview the absolute primacy of Texas?

I kid, I kid...

Oct 28, 09 10:41 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Steve: I actually hate using the term "safety" to describe an M.Arch. program because it implies a school is sub-par with easy admissions. In that sense, there aren't really any true "safety" picks on my list, as each school has something unique to offer. That said, I'm obviously much more interested in attending an affordable public university than I was a few years ago... My priorities have changed quite a bit during that time.

It sounds like UK has a lot of potential... I wish I could attend the open house, but with demands here at work and with school, my ability to travel is very limited. Getting a couple days off to go to Cincinnati a couple weekends ago was like pulling teeth. (The GSD open house is coming up soon, and I won't be able to attend that, either.)

Do you know if Kentucky allows people to apply for state residency and qualify for in-state tuition after the first year? That's a big advantage of UC and OSU... When the cost of living is factored in, the Ohio schools still come out cheaper than City College of NY over the length of the program, even though I'd be paying non-resident tuition the first year.

Oct 28, 09 11:16 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

LB - lol - only in texas...

SH - that is an oddly phrased question - the strategy itself doesn't promote any of these - it's how the teacher uses this strategy to do something...

I think it's an effective strategy if one of the goals is A...

Oct 28, 09 11:27 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

UK is really looking like a good school to me lately. Just from the recent grads I've seen come out of there, the work I've seen online, Michael Speaks' influence, etc.

Sarah, I think A, definitely.

Oct 28, 09 11:41 am  · 
 · 

Gin, I think I was mistaken regarding the dates all the transcript information was due. You clarified thanks. But I still hold that you should finish, whatever the grade. Not to play devil's advocate but what if you aren't able to successfully complete your thesis? What then? Do you still submit your transcripts? Would it be too late to defer?

Cornhole = bean bag toss. Okay that's what tots play

Oct 28, 09 11:43 am  · 
 · 

B3ta I'm for sending a letter of clarification to the magazine, but I think if anything is sent to the individual is should be routed through your local AIA office.

And thanks for the suggestions I've decided on Aalto's Säynätsalo Town Hall in Finland

Oct 28, 09 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

If I'm unable to complete my thesis in time, or if some other issue crops up that prevents me from graduating this spring, then I'd either have to defer enrollment or re-apply next year. Some schools allow you to defer enrollment, others make you go through the whole application process again. But that would be the case regardless of what happens with this algebra class.

Oct 28, 09 11:57 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

darn, atp - i was hoping for the trifecta!

swine flu.

avoid it kids...

Oct 28, 09 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Hey everyone, help me out if you can,

A little background. My wife and I are moving into our new place and the first floor is laid out such that after you enter the front door you have a clear shot through a long hallway, through the dining room and then out a back sliding glass door to our patio, which extends off of the dining room. We don’t really like the idea of having a completely uninterrupted visual shot right down the entire length of the house like this, so we are considering putting a translucent shoji screen or similar divider about 4 feet inside the screen door, which will allow much of the light from the screen door into the home, but break up the view.

I believe the dining room has 8 to 8.5 foot ceilings, do you think a 7 foot screen would be too imposing, would 6 foot be better? Any other thoughts or suggestions on how to handle this? Any other ideas that you think might be better to break things up better?

Oct 28, 09 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

SH - I'm sure that apple dumpling you made was delicious. I just wanted to share the unique amish one that I like so much. It might depend on the apple, but the way they bake the whole apple, it has this mellow caramel-ly taste, so you don't get the feeling it is too much apple. Kind of how when you roast an entire garlic, it takes on a mellow flavor. I don't know. They also cover the whole thing all around with dough, so you get plenty of that crust. As a funny twist, their version of "chicken pot pie" is where they put the "dough" in the pie itself, and doesn't look like a pie at all. Its more like pasta. Oh, and A for me.

Synergy - If I remember my Feng Shui correctly, the way it is now is bad. Are you talking about having an unattached screen offst 4 feet inside the front door? Like this?

Oct 28, 09 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Yup, that is exactly what we are thinking of. Something to break it up, but removable, we wouldn't really want to put in an actual wall. I'm just trying to think if their are other solutions that I've overlooked.

Oct 28, 09 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

Holz, you got the swine?

Oct 28, 09 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Liberty Bell, that was great! You are so right.

Slart, I had aroomate in Philly that was from PA Dutch country. She got me all excited about ham pot pie and it was ham hock and egg noodles boiled on the stove all day. I was encredibly dissapointed. Think I will have to make a pie version now. And I made chicken pot pie last night with the left over pie dough.

I say try the screen. If it doesn't work, just take it back.

Oct 28, 09 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

SH - Yeah, the PA dutch food is like that. I eat it when I crave home cooked kind of meals (not that my family eats food even remotely close to this). Its not known to be fancy. But it tastes like what I would imagine home cooking would be like. The PA dutch are credited with a lot of American food creations, though.

Speaking of food, I've had the best BBQ recently around where I live. Apparently, Billie Holiday ate there.

Synergy - Yeah, if its not attached to anything, its probably worth a try. Personally, I like a little enfilade.

Oct 28, 09 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i hope not.

but a friend i was hanging out with a few nights ago certainly does.

synergy, could you do a sliding (barn) door?

i'm pretty sure placing a screen in the way will only get annoying over time.

Oct 28, 09 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Holz, you mean in place of the glass doors? A problem with this is that the glass doors provide the natural light to the room. It is a town home, so we only get light from the front and rear.

I guess my situation is something of a catch 22, I want the natural light, but don't really like the idea of opening the front door and seeing clear through the entire place, it feels a little hollow. You might be asking yourself why did we buy the home in the first place, really we like the it a lot, it is just one visual issue I'm trying to come up with a nice solution to.

Oct 28, 09 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I made my very best apple pie ever last week. I'm so glad I finally have a Cuisinart. I'll have to try this apple dumpling thing -- both your version, Sarah, and the Amish version sound great. Sarah, can you send me the recipe please? Thanks! Also a reliable recipe for chicken pot pie would be great. I've tried a bunch and never been satisfied (usually they are too watery and bland). I find "yankee" cooking to be almost always too bland for my taste...

Synergy, I've always liked using open, floor-to-ceiling bookshelves as screens... you get these cool, tempting partial-glimpses through them. Plus you can make rearrangements at will (of book groupings, objets d'art, etc). I don't like translucent screens personally but it is a matter of taste. To me, they are psychologically frustrating.

It's hard to say how high without seeing a picture or a section of the room. Either height could be reasonable, it just depends.

Oct 28, 09 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Here is a picture of the room. The entrance is behind the photo taker.
To the left, below that hanging light is where the dining room table will go.

I really like the idea of open shelving, It would be a nice way to display pieces of artwork, though I'm not sure my wife will buy it though, it may not satisfy the feng shui need for a barrier.

Oct 28, 09 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

LiG-
If you go to UK, will you change your screen name to livinginbourbon?

Oct 28, 09 6:43 pm  · 
 · 

just to be anal- shoji is a paper window that sits in a wooden frame connected to the normal glass window - kinda like ans insect screen but not. that folding screen is called a byo-bu - which sounds weird.

book shelves sounds good to me too synergy. i don't know when i have seen a screen look good when it wasn't in an enormous space. not sure why. probably per-sychologikal, like manta says.

sarah that question is hard to answer. toasteroven seems to have the actual answer. it depends on the teacher not the strategy...which makes me wonder about the test writers. are they just messing around?

treekiller, forgive me for asking - are you still working in office while teaching? if so how so you manage? i am going nuts with just 2 classes. how do the big-time architects do those special courses every year? they are living on uppers or soemthing?

Oct 28, 09 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

JUST 2 classes AND working?! Damn, jump. With a family that would be literally impossible.

Oct 28, 09 8:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: