Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

n_

I want that cake.

Jun 29, 09 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

puddles - I particularly like the one on the dining room table with the lit candles - it really adds to the ambience.

Jun 29, 09 8:16 pm  · 
 · 

I love lakes, puddles. Haven't swum in one or a mountain stream in too long.

I also want that cake. And TK, score for new (used) MAC products.

Jun 29, 09 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I'm surprised that guy didn't singe any ass hair.

SH - that cakes looks absolutely fabulous. Is it key lime?

Anyway, I think I'm headed off for an early night. It's been a rather emotional 36 hours. Found out yesterday afternoon my brother was hospitalized. He's signed consent waivers and I think they've got him on mood stabilizers. His GF and I went to visit during visitation hours. For the first time in a month I was actually able to see a glimmer of him. He's still in there (THANK GOD). He let us help him shave his head and he gave us a hug when we left, which I guess is the first time in a long while he's been able to stand physical contact. It was too much there for a while.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. Keep them coming... we need them.

Jun 29, 09 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

so is moses the anti-semite finally through here?

Jun 29, 09 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

It is a lime cake, Melt, but I havent made it yet. I am going to temp my first REAL key-lime pie for the 4th. We wanted to invite lots of people over, but as of now, only one couple is coming. We like them, so its ok, but its certainly pared down.

Finally saw Wall-E. There were some funny points, and some interesting social commentary, but overall I think it was a bit of a let down.

MAdoff's victims certainly look good for being broke and ruined.

Jun 30, 09 8:12 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Mmmmmmmmmmm key lime pie. That is one of my favorite desserts. You'll deinitely have ot let me know how it comes out.

Jun 30, 09 8:24 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

That lime cake looks awesome. If it is good, I would like the recipe please. I've got some summer baking to do. Thanks!

techno : I *do* often post twice -- but it's more because I always think of something to add at the end, than any genius! more like: "oh wait I forgot to mention such-and-such".

Jun 30, 09 9:06 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i'm going to have key lime pie for breakfast.

Jun 30, 09 9:23 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

wall-e was a better "in the theater" movie, IMO...

Jun 30, 09 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I really enjoyed Wall-E... It had just the right amount of social commentary without beating anybody over the head. I don't think Pixar has made a bad movie yet.

In other news, I got sunburn last week as I was wandering around Cincy, and now my skin is starting to peel off. I wish I could peel it all off in one piece, like how a snake does it. That would be awesome.

Jun 30, 09 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

I liked how universal Wall-E was due to the lack of speaking. I watched it while travelling in Thailand, and didn't even realize what language it was in for a long time. Anybody watch Burn-E?

Speaking of Thailand, the piece of string a Buddhist monk in Thailand tied on my wrist fell off yesterday. He told me to keep it on for a year or more for good luck. Coincidentally, I got ANOTHER ticket yesterday, but this time for parking at a spot I've been parking for 2 months without trouble. It was free for two months so I guess I can't complain. Alright, enough whining from me.

That cake looks pretty damn good.

Jun 30, 09 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
hillandrock

SH, here's a Floridian secret to Key Lime cake or pie (if you're using real Key limes or real Key lime juice).

If you want a smoother less bitter taste, add a small pinch of baking soda to the lime puree before you add it to the batter. If you want a tarter and more sour flavor, add a small pinch of cream of tartar.

Jun 30, 09 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

FRANKEN won!!!!! finally MN will get full senatorial representation, just in time for voting on the cap-n-trade bill

Jun 30, 09 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

TK, what was taking so long?

Jun 30, 09 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

I'm surprised there wasn't more talk of the bill on Archinect. I don't know how exactly it will affect the economy in the short and long term, but that seems to be generally what is holding back the Republicans. Either way, it can only be better for the environment. It is not ideal. And apparently Greenpeace withdrew their support of the bill because of its compromises. I would think something would be better than nothing, but I wonder if that is really true.

Would holding out for a bill that is more ideal be worth it? Would it come in time? Would it somehow gather support for it to pass without compromises (I thought it passed the house with a small margin)?

Sometimes it seems everyone is holding out to see the quantifiable short-term financial benefit of good environmental policies to implement them. By the time that we'll see that, would THAT be in time? I'm being overly pessimistic these days.

Jun 30, 09 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Sarah - blame Lutheran politics, or maybe it was lawyers that refused to give up billable hours, or just a politician that refused to concede and was a sore looser...

Jun 30, 09 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
hillandrock

Well, I see this bill as being probably one of the most honest pieces of legislation that's steep in what appears to be an ocean of dishonesty.

The reason I say this is I think both parties have come to terms with the concept-- I think the issue here is what most people don't want to admit that both parties are right.

But the real problem is being obscured on both sides--

The Republicans are right. This will set back the economy for 5-10 years. It will cause a massive change in power production but not necessarily power consumption and it will dramatically increase energy prices to a point of affordability that a large minority in the US will not be able to pay for.

And...

The Democrats are right. This will lead towards greater energy independence. It will lead to lower greenhouse gas emissions (in line with growth estimates meaning there won't be much of a net change). And it will provide job creation.

However, what both sides fail to mention is that the bill doesn't address any problem particularly. Most of Obama's policies are almost identical to any of the policies in the last 40 years except now they are bluewashed.

The cap-and-trade system is going to heavily affect the price of cement-- technically one of the only truly green building materials. It's going to push construction more in favor of synthetics, plasters and wood... these are far less energy intensive.

But this kind of misses the ball. C02 isn't an immediate threat to the health and well-being of the immediate environment. Plastics on the other hand are starting to prove disastrous. If anything, global warming should be taking a back burner to the issue of plastics pollution.

And a lot of the other current debate right now skims over more pressing issues. It's not a simple singular issue but "Generation Y" has a serious poverty problem and I don't really foresee it getting better. And if all that is going to keep happening is higher prices, more legally-mandated expanses, a harsher penal system and little personal choice... well this country isn't going to go anywhere!

Jun 30, 09 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Lime is not high on my favorites list, but that looks awesome. Baking a cake from scratch is on my near-future-to-do list. I've been bookmarking all kinds of tasty goodness on Martha Stewart's website.

Jun 30, 09 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

i can't think about key-lime pie without thinking of Dexter, the hero-y, mass murderer. good show, though creepy and there is a bit where he is spending several episodes looking for the best key-lime pie for a woman on her death bed. he finds it of course, but the reason she loved it had nothing to do with the taste... anyway. just saying.

Jun 30, 09 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

Go Franken!! That's almost 51?
Almost through my busiest 3 weeks of the year, at work.

My fav, HBO/cable show was always Carnival. Magical, turn of the century Americana. Man, i am sold.

Jun 30, 09 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
AP

The Wire is probably my all time favorite TV series.

Key Lime Pie (not cake) is definitely a favorite for me. I had an amazing piece a few weeks ago, in suburban Chicago of all places. It was actually a tart and not a piece of pie...

In Orlando at the moment, staying here for a few days to visit with my stepdad, who was recently told he did not qualify for the heart transplant...

Was good talking the other day Nam. I look forward to hanging out soon.

Jun 30, 09 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I'm sorry to hear that, AP. My best well-wishes to you and your family.

Jun 30, 09 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Crap, AP, sorry to hear that about your stepdad. :(

Ditto what Manta said.

Jun 30, 09 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
hillandrock

AP, if you're in East Orlando... I'll buy you a beer!

Jun 30, 09 8:35 pm  · 
 · 

sorry ap. these days i am in and out of hospital for my friend L. really tough... he is a great fighter and spiritually very positive.

Jun 30, 09 8:54 pm  · 
 · 

My thoughts and prayers go out to both of you, AP and Orhan...
Nite all.

Jun 30, 09 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Oh AP I am so sorry to hear that. What's next. My thoughts are with you and your family.

You too Orhan... many thoughts for you and your friend.

May all this horrible insanity end soon.

Jun 30, 09 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

A lot of heavy stuff these days on TC. I hope all will be well.

Jun 30, 09 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

thoughts are with you AP.

Jun 30, 09 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

AP, I'm sorry. Is he on the bypass machine right now? Is there anything they can do?

Orhan, I'm sorry about your friend. I promise I will touch base with you before I leave town... If I leave town. Still don't know... Finally got all moved out of my apartment, nearly passed out from exhaustion. Crashing with my friend for a few days and feeling a bit better about it now that I'm here. On my way out of the place tonight, literally on my last pass, my neighbor came out of his apt and we discovered that we're both architects! Of course he is unemployed as well, after being laid off, so that's normal. SNAFU is more like it.

Jul 1, 09 2:30 am  · 
 · 
hillandrock

I don't know if this is the right place to post this... and it is very hard to post this.

It was in hillandrock's most visited bookmark toolbar of firefox... but hillandrock died from a car accident at about 2:20 A.M.. I was told to collect his belongings and am posting notices from all the sites in his browser cache.

The only details I know of at the moment was that he drove his car into a road barrier at a very high speed sometime between 1:20 and 2:20. It does not seem to be accidental either. If anyone cares I will post more information as it becomes available.

Jul 1, 09 3:28 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

is this a joke?

Jul 1, 09 5:10 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

until i see some evidence - news report - i am calling the previous post bullshit. if it is bullshit, i am done here.

Jul 1, 09 7:33 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Yeah, thats not cool, H&R, not cool at all.

Wow, Franken's wife is very normal looking. I love it when celebrities marry normal people - like Robin William's ex-wife.

Jul 1, 09 8:23 am  · 
 · 

Umm,
Yeah i hope that is some sort of bad joke H+R.

Oh and i guess re: Franken i meant 60 not 51...

WonderK, glad to hear things are settling down a bit. Or at least moving on.

Jul 1, 09 9:09 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

If it's true, then I'm at a loss for words.

If it's fake, then it's an incredibly sick joke and not the slightest bit amusing. I have an very dark sense of humor, but there's some shit you just don't joke around about.

Jul 1, 09 10:16 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

here's why i think it's bullshit; the time, 1 hour - i say that because it appears that h&r is in orlando - after the accident this "person" is posting h&r is dead? 2. some the phone call from the cops and the first thing this person thinks of doing is posting on all of h&r's websites? not to mention, that this person knows the point of TC and posts here? then add to that, to not reveal h&r's real name so that it leaves any possibility of verification or sending condolences to the family? i checked news and police blotters in fla and orlando, and there is no evidence of an accident in the manner described.

Jul 1, 09 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Valid points... I couldn't find anything in the Orlando-area news about such an accident, either. There was a story from a day or two ago about a guy killed when his truck hit a tree, but that was about it.

Jul 1, 09 10:33 am  · 
 · 

LIG and Beta,
Funny, that all three of us searched the interwebs...

All i could find was the story about the guy in the truck hitting the tree.

Jul 1, 09 10:37 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

part of me thinks the "joke" is connected to the rumor mill the perpetuated the Jeff Goldblum death hoax. regardless, with the number of people on this site on the edge professionally and personally, if it is a joke, i plan on personally skull fucking h&r.

Jul 1, 09 11:02 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

and I was about to post a rebut to concrete being a 'green material' - RIP h&r if this is real...

Jul 1, 09 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I looked at the orlando paper as well, but just figured maybe it hadnt made it to the paper yet. we will have to see if anybody new shows up in the next few days.

Jul 1, 09 11:30 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

I shall continue my policy of ignoring anything "h&r" posts.

Jul 1, 09 11:35 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

tk, I almost did that myself last night, but declined (see above). "most green" material my ass.

Jul 1, 09 11:36 am  · 
 · 
n_

AP, your family will be in my thoughts.

Jul 1, 09 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

Ummm yeah I mean what about wood?

Also, SH i thought the same thing...

Jul 1, 09 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

AP
sorry to hear of your news..my thoughts are with you as well..
also thinkin bout you guys travelling around and hoping you stay
safe on your way to st.louis.

Jul 1, 09 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

why do groups of kids on bicycles always split and head to both sides of the road when a car approaches? it's more dangerous and doesn't make any sense unless they are planning to surround and attack the car.

Jul 1, 09 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

I don't know but it seems as if with the rising popularity of archinect, Thread Central and it's regulars that we are increasingly becoming victims of quite a bit of abuse. Bitter individuals appear on the threads spouting negativity and hate, then disappear into the abyss of cyberspace, and now a cryptic message about the fatal departure on an archinecteur. It is all getting weary.

AP my heart goes our to your family, and although he's your girlfriend's father you seem personally engaged by it. I hope things turn out for the better. Similarly Orhan and his friend struggles.

On a happier note I just watched that burn-e film; hilarious! But I felt sorry for him.

And I'm submitting my resignation this afternoon, next stop full-time lecturing. Wish me luck

Jul 1, 09 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: