Archinect
anchor

i wanna talk about music

KEG

did aaron lewis do it again?

remember years ago, in the days of limp bizkit "glory", Arron Lewis (staind) performed "outside" at a concert (with Fred Durst squawking in the background) and the emotional acoustic ballad became a smash hit. On every radio station, mtv, etc...it was played for months on end. Staind then released an album which didn't really seem to do much and they faded away.

anyway, have you guys heard his cover of pearl jams "black"? It's been around for quite a while, but has gotten a lot of airplay lately. Another whole hearted, gut wrenching performance. Now, he's certainly no Eddie Vedder...but did he do it again?

do you love it? hate it? care less? how many times will kroq pay it today?

If Cris is around, he might be the only one to respond ;)...what do you think Cris?

Jun 22, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

hey! i am indeed around, and i can't stay away from a music thread!

limp bizkit... shudder...

ha ha, but you know, i haven't heard that one yet, i'll check it out!

Jun 22, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

yeah...that's why I "quoted" glory (yes, I just put my fingers in the air- doing air quotes).

durst is a tool.

Jun 22, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ha ha ha, yes!

i got so sick of hearing "i did it all for the nookie" and seeing all of those red baseball caps.

dude!!! arcade fire and lcd soundsystem to tour together this fall!!!

Jun 22, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

shut up shut up shut up...they are?!?!?!! oooh...I have to go!!!!! hopefully they go to philly (fingers crossed)

Jun 22, 07 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

people/bands/groups I'm diggin' lately:

Buck 65
Metric
Amy Winehouse (just discovered her tonight - holy fuck!)
G 'n R (for real! don't be hatin')
Atmosphere
K-OS
Seu George
Sam Roberts (on occasion, anyway)
Misfits / Danzig

But yeah. Caught MTV's 45th At Night program airing up here tonight, which I'd never seen, and was introduced to Amy Winehouse. First thing tomorrow I'm going to acquire some of her music to play on the stereo at work. I don't know if people will like it (it's usually a weird combination of rock and hardcore hip hop around here) but I do. I can only describe this young woman as a white, English woman with horrible tattoos, a drinking problem, and a voice like Eryka Badu's that I find absolutely amazingly stunning, but I'm not sure I know why.

Jun 23, 07 2:12 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Level 42.

Jun 23, 07 3:23 am  · 
 · 
binary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc4deXxKP_s

their first video.......i just sponered their 2nd video..... some gear and me dancing in it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgV3n7sd34w
classic slum village

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5-g5vZHqKY
classic pete rock and c.l. smooth

Jun 23, 07 5:34 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I have some pete rock around here somewhere..... an entirely 'instrumental' album that I like a lot, but can't remember the name.

Jun 23, 07 9:27 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

slantsix, i've heard a lot of good things about amy winehouse but have yet to listen to her.

seu jorge is dope! i'm sure you're familiar with his bowie covers for the life aquatic with steve zissou soundtrack.

Jun 23, 07 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
binary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFxNHOObN7E

chromeo sort has that 80's sounds with some funk....i can get down to it

Jun 23, 07 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

just scored wilco tickets for this thursday...who is jealous and/or planning on seeing them this summer?

anyone seen them play a kickass show recently?

Jun 25, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

hahaha "who is jealous"...

I am [jealous that is]. not fair. they are playing the Greek the day I leave LA and will have already played the east coast. just my luck.

Jun 25, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

wtd that is crap luck indeed...well, hopefully they're not going anywhere and they'll be around for many more years. and since with the exception of the new album's actual recording, their live stuff with their current lineup seems to be oozing badass rock and roll, i think they'll be going strong.

Jun 25, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I'm just sayin' that I think it was very inconsiderate for them not to consult my "moving to philly" schedule before setting their tour dates.

I agree with your longevity analysis. I am sure I'll get a chance to see them. I like this song...

Jun 25, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

yes! i especially like the inane youtube comments...

enjoy philly...i had a chance to see them at the festival pier during college but it was summer and i was too drunk and [therefore] unmotivated to buy tickets...i bet it was a great show!

Jun 25, 07 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_Bolt[/url]

can someone put this into words?...all i can come up with is drum and bass...death metal...burnt out...etc...

Jun 26, 07 3:59 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
more footage of lightning bolt
Jun 26, 07 4:18 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

RISD!!!

Jun 26, 07 4:21 am  · 
 · 
|l

woohoo interpol

Jun 26, 07 5:57 am  · 
 · 
Sean!

i'll be waiting on line for the new Ryan Adams that’s coming out today, anyone else?

Jun 26, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

anybody else catch up with the Polyphonic Spree's latest release - The Fragile Army?

just got my hands on it this morning. been listening for a while...good stuff.

going to see them at the Great American Music Hall (nice!) in SF later this summer. that should be a helluva' show.

Fragile Army's got some good tracks; definitely need a couple of listens to really formulate a quasi-intellectual opinion, but on first listen i like, in no particular order;

Watch us Explode
Mental Cabaret
Get up & Go

anyone else?

i missed out on getting tix for the beastie's at the greek in berkeley. sold out pretty quickly - but who wants to pay $50 anyway.

Jun 26, 07 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

going to see the National tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have probably seen them ten or so times and they rock!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 26, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

lucky!

Jun 26, 07 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

mdler, how was the national show?

Jun 27, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

it rocked!!!!

ended up talking to a few of the guys after the show and there were very nice (I had met them on a few previous occasions back in Cincinnati)

Jun 27, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl
justice

im totally in love with this song

Jun 28, 07 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Has anyone ever seen the Decemberists live? I saw them at ACL a couple of years ago, and I've been hooked ever since.

Jun 28, 07 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
binary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNJpOnArICI

some old detroit "acid rap"...80's..... before all the kid rock/em/bulshyt

gets that blood going if you are tired...haha

b

Jul 1, 07 12:08 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

my FaVoRiTe singer!!!

Jul 7, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

yay! me and the beastie boys will be appearing at the Greek on August 19th. Ok, they'll be on stage and I'll be in nose bleed section- but that's ok.

I think it will be my last show in LA for a long time *tear*

One lonely Beastie I be
All by myself - with nobody...

Jul 9, 07 3:18 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

damn, you got tix!?

lucky!

Jul 9, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I know...it's a great way to leave LA. they always put on one hellova show!

Jul 9, 07 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

daft punk was... freakin' amazing...

i am tired.

was anyone else @ the show?

Jul 22, 07 5:41 am  · 
 · 
binary

what i have in the decks now

sound bombing v2
detroit underground 1999
black star...mos def/talib
wild child
slick rick...art of story telling
j-dilla...welcome to detroit
jaylib

Jul 23, 07 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

The National will be on Letterman tonight!!!!

Jul 23, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

have any of you heard the new silverchair album? i would have never linked this album with what they did in the nineties. pretty groovy.

Jul 23, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

new silverchair!?

that's a band i hadn't heard of/from in almost a decade.

cryzko, you going to any one of the rock the bells?

Jul 23, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
binary

where at..... i know there has been a few "rock the bells" events ....detroit/indiana i think....

might be posted on michigan bboy forums/wigz site/bboy world?.....

i want to hit up freestyle sessions in cali and maybe the interstella event by panthaland.........

b

Jul 23, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i'm not sure. i know they expanded their festival series to dates in several cities. i'm sure there'd be one stop near you. i'm going to be @ the one in the l.a. area. the lineup looks really good.

Jul 23, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

rock the bells detroit
august 29th

wu tang clan
nas
talib kweli
mf doom
pharaohe monche
immortal technique
slum village
david banner

rockthebells

Jul 23, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
binary

dope......

hopefully baatin will perform with slum...... i'm working with him now trying to help him get his solo project out there....

pharaohe dropped a new album not too long ago

Jul 23, 07 6:01 pm  · 
 · 

today's entertainment headline: 50 Cent: I'll Quit if Outsold by West

time for me to buy the new kanye west album!

Aug 12, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
binary

west is weak.... 50 is wack......

Aug 12, 07 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

I am more of a music-oriented person as opposed to lyrics. Most of the music I like is dark, dreamy dubtech-like Marko Fuerstenberg (sp?)-although I ill occasionally listen to vocal music-I'm a big Vanessa Daou fan, and I like 80's rockers like Peter Gabriel, The Police and Davis Bowie.
But I really like that obscure, really dark, melancholy type of techno, like Gas by Zauberberg...it fits my mood perfectly :(

Aug 15, 07 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

perhaps many of you read pitchfork, and have already seen this, but for the rest of you

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=132438391

radiohead released a version of arpeggi studio recorded. for those of you who've seen them live lately you might recognize this song... its much different from the live version i heard but i am very happy to hear that they are still trying things out.
i personally really love the composition of this song... though it seems static, the overlapping arpeggio's along with the strings later on really give it a suprising amount of texture...
and as the song builds at the end it begins to cohere and then falls apart again... which i love.

Aug 22, 07 10:59 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

cool!

no new radiohead album this year, though =(

(@ least according to pitchfork)

Aug 22, 07 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
binary

ghettotech..... if you knew.......

Aug 22, 07 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

i've only heard this one TV on the Radio song, but it's definitely stuck in my head now...i think they're quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUB1xSAAADk

Aug 22, 07 6:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: