Archinect
anchor

What are you reading?

Wood Guy

Non-fiction, fiction, architecture-related or not--what are you currently reading, what have you read that you recommend, what is on your wish list?

Jan 13, 22 11:39 am
Wood Guy

This morning my friend Allison posted this review on GBA: https://www.greenbuildingadvis..., about a book I started reading last week, by architect (and acquaintance) Lloyd Alter. So far I'd agree with Allison that it is very good, and important.

Jan 13, 22 11:41 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Huh, I tried "books" and "reading" in the search tool and didn't get any relevant results. Feel free to ignore this thread and contribute to one of those instead.

Jan 13, 22 3:18 pm  · 
1  · 

I couldn't find it quickly with the search tool either. I had to resort to google.

The link above also isn't even the oldest one apparently: https://archinect.com/forum/thread/20741/what-are-you-reading/

Jan 13, 22 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

Also this one that's even older by like a week: https://archinect.com/forum/thread/20460

Jan 13, 22 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

Note to BGH: maybe we should have stickies for stuff like this?

Jan 13, 22 3:23 pm  · 
1  · 

I finally started to read the Wheel of Time series.  

I'm also reading about hunting techniques for going after elk with my bow.  

Jan 13, 22 3:10 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

After watching The Witcher I want to read the Wheel of Time series. A few friends of mine are bow-hunters. Bow-hunting turkeys is pretty badass.

Jan 13, 22 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

It's f'ing difficult! Very fun but dang those birds are twitchy. You blink and they're gone.

Jan 14, 22 10:25 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Wot is one of my favorites. Read it a number of times now.

Jan 18, 22 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I really enjoyed the Amazon series.

Jan 18, 22 8:53 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I'm not the whole way through it but I appreciate the way they've taken the source material and condensed it.

Jan 18, 22 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

https://www.goodreads.com/en/b...

Jan 13, 22 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Among other things, I am re-reading Tolkien's Lord of the Rings (started with the Hobbit) for probably the first time since I was 10 or 11 years old. This shit is fire. 

Also, the movies do no justice to the books.

Jan 13, 22 4:56 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

Am (re)reading dinosaur and other prehistoric animal encyclopaedia, vintage Richard Scarry and Sesame Street

Jan 13, 22 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
garvin21

Hello, I also read it is really beautiful it is very fun to read the whole thing, I read it from the beginning to the end

Jan 14, 22 10:44 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Currently working my way through Michael Pollan's library of writing; truly enjoyable outlook on our relationships to food broadly, and plants more specifically, without coming off as preachy.

After that I'm wanting to take another stab at Piketty's "Capital in the 21st Century" - once I'm done working my way through LEED AP study guides ...

Also as an aside - highly recommend picking up used books off Amazon.

Jan 14, 22 11:15 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Dave Grohl ... The Story Teller.  ( biography of himself through Nirvana and the Food ) Light read but great to hear his back story.

Jan 17, 22 4:24 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm listening on audible. It gets real good at Part 3.

Honestly, all of the rock memoirs I've listened to on Audible, amaaazing!

Jan 17, 22 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Celebrity Obsession Linked to Lower Intelligence, Nerds Say https://www.thecut.com/amp/2022/01/study-celebrity-obsession-make-dumb.html couldn’t resist :)

Jan 18, 22 2:34 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Um. They're artists? I watched the Beatles doc, and there's a treasure trove on process in there.

Jan 18, 22 6:39 am  · 
 · 
randomised

you know you're reading it for groupie sleaze, don't kid yourself ;)

Jan 18, 22 8:30 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Ok. I don't know if Kim Gordon, or Dave Grohl talk about groupies, but then again maybe I missed those "interesting" parts.

Jan 18, 22 9:04 am  · 
 · 

He talked about it on Fresh Air, great interview.

Jan 18, 22 7:40 pm  · 
1  · 

The Unwomanly Face of War / Alexievich

The End / Nossack

The Star Dairies / Lem

The Shock of the New / Hughes

Jan 17, 22 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Reading architecture and construction / crafts trade books (not magazines.... books.... the good stuff like they used to have. That and stuff in software/video game development material.

Then there is the ARE material which I am going to deal with shortly enough. Then there are these projects at the moment and another prospective client that could become another project on the list but have to check the details of the project before committing to it. 

Jan 18, 22 2:50 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Sort of an aside, but related, my cousin's daughter (ie my 1st cousin once removed) is having her Bat Mitzvah this Saturday. I barely know her, but her dad told me she's interested in architecture and loves to draw, so I got to think about the book(s) (and toys) for a young teen with an interest in this thing we do.

Jan 18, 22 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Brunelleschi's Dome was pretty epic and is written for general consumption to it's fairly approachable.

Jan 18, 22 2:27 pm  · 
1  · 

Honestly that was one of the first architecture books I read. Can't go wrong with it.

Jan 18, 22 2:31 pm  · 
3  · 
atelier nobody

I got her a couple books by Witold Rybczynski, one of which was one of my first architecture books (I can't even remember if I read it before or after getting into the field). I also got her a fancy Rotring leadholder.

Jan 18, 22 4:30 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

the parasitic mind - by Gad Saad

Jan 18, 22 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

Sorry guys you don’t want to hear this but: I just finished Debra Copaken’s Ladyparts and it was soooooo good. It’s about how living in a female body is a hell rollercoaster for at least 60 years (she and I are both only 55 so I’m only guessing/hoping it gets easier after menopause?). Funny and sharp and painful and critical of US culture. 

Jan 18, 22 7:45 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Anyone ever read this book? It's been a while, but I loved it.

Jan 19, 22 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I might have read it, but I forget.

Jan 19, 22 2:31 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I understand, it's about an architect.

Jan 19, 22 3:26 pm  · 
1  · 

SneakyPete’s comment is funny, but… I honestly do think I read this but can’t remember it.

Jan 19, 22 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

.LINCOLN'S LAST TRIAL

Next up re-read

and then

Jan 19, 22 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

Jan 19, 22 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
an_cherniy96

Right now, Treasure Island. An easy read with a captivating story line...just love it. Stevenson is a genius.

Jan 27, 22 12:42 am  · 
 · 

I think I'm going to pull this one off my bookshelf and crack it open. I think it's been over 15 years since I've done that and it seems like a good time right now.

Jan 27, 22 7:59 pm  · 
3  · 
x-jla

Bullshit Jobs….Bullshit Jobs: A Theory is a 2018 book by anthropologist David Graeber that postulates the existence of meaningless jobs and analyzes their societal harm.

Pretty good

Feb 13, 22 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

just finished "devolution" from max brooks - he writes good.

Feb 15, 22 12:50 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: