Archinect
anchor

i wanna talk about music

n_

THE BOOKS THE BOOKS THE BOOKS!!! yes, yes, yes.

Mar 20, 07 10:25 am  · 
 · 
mgs

Cris, how did i forget LCD Soundsystem, the new album is amazing. I'm really really loving the new Modest Mouse album too.

Mar 20, 07 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

im so happy that what is possibly the first thread i ever started on archinect has been resurected...

as for music...

menomena's new album is great

the knife is as good as everyone says

hot chip is treating me well

arcade fire's neon bible has also grown on me significantly

and last but not least... im really dissapointed by clap your hands some loud thunder

Mar 20, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

Grizzly Bear
M. Ward
David Vandervelde
I used to have a crush on the lead singer of the Sundays
Birds Eat Beef
any Daytrotter fans out there?
Last.fm'ers?

Mar 20, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

... a big fan of Gojira right now

Mar 20, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
tokyoDrifter

miss_j, thank you thank you!

given that I've heard back positively from the programs I applied to, I think I am out for good. Juggling both doesn't seem like the best idea especially given the notorious work load of architecture school. Alas... one must heed the call. :)

What are you listening to these days?

Mar 21, 07 10:07 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

tokyoDrifter,
well i hope i got to see you when i went to your show at Galapagos last month....really loving your stuff. i'm excited to see the rest of them at Mercury Lounge here in two weeks (maybe you'll be part of that one as well). the only thing about the galapagos show was that i think the sound guy had your levels up way too high. it was hard to hear any of the more subtle discordances in your songs that way.....i'm hoping the show at mercury lounge will have the levels a bit better. i was wondering if there was an architect in your group (or some architectural tendencies) i had a sense that there was a bit of that thinking going on in the song structures.

Mar 21, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

and a few i'll add to the mix here are chin up chin up (great songs about architecture, especially the architect's got a gun).....also asobi seksu is the sexiest dream pop i've heard...sad and lovely.
big fan of film school since their last album (and the award for best blank psychotic stare by a bass player goes to...)
saw eluvium, paper chase, and explosions in the sky last night. explosions is an intensely brilliant band and eluvium was incredibly sophisticad as a one-man operation...just beautiful plays with looping song structures and subtle recursive aural shifts.

Mar 21, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

levy
velvet underground
the pimsouls
sonic youth
doves
metric
m83
the verve
mogwai
chris clark
red snapper

...too many to name

Mar 21, 07 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

recent listening...

some new stuff:

the brother kite
palaxy tracks
stars of track & field

some old(er) stuff:

swervedriver
dinosaur jr
husker du

Mar 21, 07 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

my current obsession is with 90's feminist punk and the whole riot grrl...just getting started on keeping an eye out for bands from that period. been watching every video/interviews/retrospective i can find on youtube, reading wikipedia on the whole scene...the two i'm liking right now is bikini kill and bratmobile

that bratmobile live video is sick!...and i'm a fan of the band names as well...

i usually get caught up in influences...if a band i'm listening to mentions another band then i end up obsessing over that. very similar to getting lost in the continuous linking of the internet.

some band names that i think are wack:
limp bizkit
linkin park
U2

some band names i like:
care
new order
arcade fire
the cure

Mar 21, 07 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

hey dammson, do you listen to le tigre?

Mar 21, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

Cris,
not yet...although i've watched a video of them performing live at kcrw and at conan o'brien show...not liking it as much as the angry kathleen hanna.

i saw that your going to coachella...i'm gonna be there too for three days...looking forward to seeing ghostface killah

i was at the goodwill the other day and i got excited to see some freshly donated records on the floor...each for 99 cents

i bought and still have to listen to:

talking heads-more songs about buildings and food
talking heads-77
talking head-fear of music (matte black cover with embossed "diamond plate" pattern...great)
X-los angeles (this is one sells for $20)
queen-jazz ("fat bottomed girls" and the bassline in bicycle is hot)
thin lizzy-chinatown (i actually been craving to listen to "she knows" but it's not on this one)
rolling stones-emotional rescue (to see what hernan diaz alonso has been referencing)
david bowie-scary monsters (to be shelved between diamond dogs and ziggy stardust)
philip glass-the photographer
ac/dc-dirty deeds done dirt cheap and back in black (not my usual type of music but i bought it anyway)
style council
and two more records that i can't remember right now

Mar 21, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you bought my young man years very cheaply there dammson!

Mar 21, 07 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

nice. i'll be there all three days too.

i'm really looking forward to seeing:

rage against the machine (i'm actually a little frightened!)
manu chao (don't miss him. will be a blast!)
arcade fire (can't wait to see them live!)
plus a bunch more that i'm too lazy to list.

so, how are those ghostface albums? i haven't listened to them yet, but everyone's raving about them.

looks like you came up on some good records!

Mar 21, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
miss_j

futureboy - i've seen asobi seksu when i was living in ny, too. very nice stuff. i'm jealous you're living in that city! so many new bands and good music to check out.

tokyodrifter - it is sad to leave a good band isn't it? my band in college kinda sucked but i just loved playing and enjoyed every single moment of band practices and shows. really miss it now.

living in melb the music scene isn't so great so i haven't kept up with new music. these days i like a bit of dancy stuff (!!!, lcd, klaxons, DFA97), a bit of anthony, andrew bird, low, tom waits, and a bit of mew, shinning, blood brothers...

Mar 21, 07 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
miss_j

rage is touring cris? i thought they were no more like 5 yrs ago..?

Mar 21, 07 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ha ha, miss_j, where have you been!? they broke up about 7 years ago, but have reformed for coachella. they'll also be playing the rock the bells tour this summer with dates in southern california, san francisco, and nyc.

Mar 21, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
miss_j

Cris- obviously not on this planet. you mean, zachhhh is gonna be there? doing all the oldies??? wow..

i don't think i can manage going to one of those big rock shows anymore though. all the waiting, getting squished and kick in the head. but seeing rage and Zach would be pretty cool!

Mar 22, 07 1:13 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

vado, this person from your generation who previously owned the records was neat...the records were surprisingly clean and without scratches. the back in black had some but no skips....saw some stains (looked like tomato soup stains but not sure) on the queen album...

Cris, my favorite ghostface's album is Ironman. All beats produced by RZA except for one...and if you're familiar with his beats, he makes them sound evil. If you've seen Ghost Dog, the soundtrack is by rza. I didn't buy the second album Supreme Clientele (i've forgotten how this one sounded like) i remember there were songs that sounded like 70's funk and i can't stand funk most of the time. His third album Bulletproof Wallets was good and had more RnB type beats...and there were background RnB vocals here and there. It wasn't mixed up stylistically like supreme clientele. Haven't listened to the Pretty Toney album. The Fish Scale album had a bunch of producers and was sounding more like the first album with the evil sounding beats...i don't know if he has a new album out but if he does at least 5 songs off of Ironman at coachella then i'll be happy...

gotta keep that manu chao in mind...

i keep thinking there's going to be a huge whirlpool of a mosh pit about 50'-70' diameter when rage performs...

Mar 22, 07 2:27 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

I'm gonna check out Jesus and Mary Chain also...saw them play (damn!) 16 years ago at the hollywood palladium. shit, i was still in junior high then...the live guitar must've been on overdrive that time. I remember the eardrum piercing loud feedbacks and distortion from the guitars...

I saw architecture in helsinki when they played the troubadour in l.a...they played a portion (fast part) of kraftwerk's ohm sweet ohm (great melody!)...and the fuzzy moog sound coming off the synthesizer was perfectly loud...i was jumping around inside my head...

Mar 22, 07 2:46 am  · 
 · 
tokyoDrifter

Futureboy, nah, I left back in November right after finishing the album, so I wasn't at the Galapogos show nor will I be at the Mercury Lounge, at least not playing. We were a trio for a long time and 2/3rds of us are/were designers---not to mention terribly pedantic! You are perceptive. :)

miss_j, it was definitely time. Also, I now have free headspace to consider where I'll be studying / living in the autumn which is an absolute plus.

Mar 22, 07 11:32 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

well, cool TD, i'll be dragging along a few other designers to the show at mercury lounge, so hopefully i'll see you there. your album turned out very well, you can definitely feel proud of the effort. your band appears to have multiplied like rabbits after your effort (what are there, like 8 people on stage these days)....
as for miss_j it sounds like you're keeping up pretty well with the music scene from far off melbourne. even here in the middle of it all it can get hard to keep up. i've struggled to keep up with what's going on here as typically this profession is a serious distraction from more interesting pursuits. how long ago did you leave....over in melbourne have you ever run across the likes of a stan tabain or brett moore? a few mates from school that (last i've heard) are still in melbourne.

Mar 22, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Jesu, torche, floor, burzum, sunn0))), mayhem, gogoroth... staples

Mar 22, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
eddiephicks
www.pandora.com

personalized streaming radio.

brilliant.

Mar 22, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

where are all the reggae fans!?

just discovered this site today. not the "prettiest" of design, but do be sure to check out the "sound station" section to listen to streams of numerous reggae artists.s

Mar 22, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

have you heard of this guy named beethoven?

Mar 22, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
miss_j

heh heh futureboy. melbourne is quite a large city so the chance of me coming across a stan tabain or brett moore is pretty slim. though i suppose if i were in the architecture profession it is possible that i might. was in NY 04-05. might be coming back stateside in the fall for grad school! i really hope i'd be able to find some time for live music when (if) i'm in archi school.

tokyodrifter - i suppose you have had the wonderful experience of making music and now you're ready to move onto something greater! i read from the other thread that you got into gsd? congrat!

Mar 24, 07 9:04 am  · 
 · 

You mention sxsw miss_j? I think Megan Hickey [the Last Town Chorus] played that one: as I scribbled down during a shopping trip an hour ago:

She got that old plank of wood wailing, moaning and sighing in harmony; her eyes locked on those buzzing strings.
“That’s my dog,” she announces, glancing up with a smile, “track three.”

Au Revoir Simone. These girls are like the girls out of that film 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' although they claim never to have seen the film. Anyway, all demure dresses and poise and bookish but really too beautiful to be hid in the library. And Korg, Yamaha, Novation, Alesis, like Kraftwerk morphed with a Sunday afternoon choir. And they play those keyboards anywhere and everywhere.

Yeah, The Knife are a little twisted, but not half so much as MOMUS but I'd really better not quote his lyrics concerning emission and John the Baptist.

Imogen Heap: so theatrical, like some sort of techno fairytale set in the court of the French Sun King. She played all sorts of instruments and electronic trickery to build up this incredible complex of sound. Plus her hair was done up high and a bit pink and she sort of pranced around grinning, with these delicate hand gestures and this lovely English Public Schoolgirl (all grown up) accent.

I'm off to see Kris Kristofferson on Tuesday, yeay! That guy has *character*.

Mar 24, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
mdler

Sunset Rubdown

Apr 4, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

Au Revoir Simone are very cool. it's like a slightly chilly breeze on a warm, spring afternoon.

Apr 4, 07 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra
http://www.ninjatune.net/solidsteel/
Apr 4, 07 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

menomena
devotchka
shuggie otis
buck 65
the New Year

recent badass purchases

Apr 4, 07 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

mdler, the national kicks! i've only heard 'alligator' but i'm sure the new one'll be sweet.

Apr 4, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

andrew bird's 'armchair apocrypha' is good stuff.

anyone heard tom wait's 'orphans' album? i have yet to listen.

Apr 4, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I just purchased The Pipettes.

Addicted.

Apr 4, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
alexandraNY

hmmm, music... goes hand in hand with studio ( i think)

i have to admit, i'm a sucker for classic rock. but also like alot of other stuff.
Some examples of the randomness in my player:
allman bros band
zeppelin
stones
Dylan
Cream
Joni mitchell
the cure
talking heads
prince
the grateful dead
phish
keller williams
chili peppers
STP
Rage a. t. m.
CSNY
Pfunk
Dre/Snoop
2pac
tribe called quest
david bowie
g&r
frank sinatra
black crowes
and.... i probably have too much more... but you get the idea

Apr 4, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

why is everyone so afraid of silence?

Apr 4, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

andrew bird
interpol
ticonderoga
the national
cyhsy
the futureheads

Apr 4, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

vado has a point

there is something to be said about letting your thoughts wonder in silence. Most offices regionally have a no-music policy in the CAD studios so they can hear the majestic words of the associates and partners

Apr 4, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

currently hooked on:

the knife - silend shout
apoptygma berzerk - you and me against the world

Apr 4, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Everyone seems to like someone different.....

The TOP of my LIST....and if you have not heard any of their songs....I highly recomend .......

KINGS OF LEON.....

they have a southern rock sound.... that kills

Songs specifically .....

Taper Jean Girl

Pistol of Fire

RAzz

other bands I like.....

Interpol....
She Wants Revenge....

metal Bands...

Mastodon,Satyricon, Machine Head, Superjoint Ritual,

Five Finger Death Punch,

VADeR,

and always , always , the Almighty

Supreme GODS of METAL....

SLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 4, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

My iPod has a weird version of 'random' for its shuffle mode. I mean, I have a guilty enjoyment of Demis Roussos but I don't like 'Foreverandeverandever ' yadayada *that*much and then that's alternated with Vivaldi' s (thankfully) *not* the four seasons but other Vivaldi but too much Vivaldi nonetheless.

Kristin, I've used Senheiser and Bayer Dynamic 'big' studio-type headphones for years. They're both OK. I found it was the old, heavy and leather (?) or vinyl padded earpieces that got too much after awhile. The ones I mentioned are just fabric covered foam.

And a new recommendation: she's called CEU and comes from Rio, I think. Obviously there's bossa-nova stuff going on but it's eclectic and modern too, like the sexy new hip-hop Astrud Gilberto, and damn the purists. Lovely voice.

Also, check out Thomas Zehetmair's (ECM records) recording of Sonata no.5 in G major by Eugene Ysaye. Maybe too modern for those who like their Classical like... the Four Seasons and stop there but, if you like violin solos, this one's pretty staggering and wildly beautiful.

Apr 4, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
mritz

For anyone who said Cinematic Ochestra or anything louge related: Alice Coltraine (wife of).
My opinion: A lot of 70s german/prog stuff seems to be rehased ad nasuem these days, and to no original credit. So excuse my possisble music snobbery but if you like Clap Your Hands or Prefuse or even Caribou (who is awesome) please check out:
Amon Duul; Neu; Silver Apples; Achen Reichel and the Machines; early solo Brian Eno.

Apr 6, 07 1:21 am  · 
 · 
kdollaghan

most of my most-listened to, i'm okay with:
manitoba, kraftwerk, minny pops, fourtet, m83, the knife, erlend oye, jens lekman, mum, all the mADchester bands, all that stuff...
but i'm completely, secretly obsessed with sufjan stevens. like i dream about it and stuff. it's....weird.

p.s. johnprolly: burzum, mayhem - classic! norsk black metal - underappreciated!

Apr 6, 07 1:45 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

resurecting this thread again but in particular to see whos excited to see beach house and menomena at pitchfork!?

and interpol LCD soundsystem the rapture clap your hands say yeah and tapes n' tapes at lollapalooza or however you spell it

i love beach house... what a fantastic late fall/winter album that was

Apr 18, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

KINGS OF LEON

Apr 18, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
n_

t minus 17 days for bjork's volta release!

Apr 18, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

saw The Shins at The Warfield last night.

they put on a pretty impressive show, those guys. much more rocking than you'd think, given how mellow their studio stuff is.

i like their sound though, and james mercer's fantastic.

they've got this great alt-country/emo/indie thing going on with very disciplined playing. no cheap grabs for attention. just really tasty rhythms and melodies.

i admire the way they stick to their understated-ness, it makes the high points of each song resonate a lot more.

Apr 18, 07 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

discovering new music is one of the best things about living!

last night went to see modest mouse. they were good, but i was really captivated by their opener man man. i had never heard of them until last night, but i got hooked! they put on a fantastic show. i recommend them, if you like different weird stuff.

also, just got into gogol bordello. i saw them for the first time @ coachella a few weeks ago, and they owned friday night!!! really crazy gypsy punks.

also, i just got into cansei de ser sexy, or css for short. brazilian electro rock.

and i just discovered klaxons.

May 14, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: