Archinect
anchor

i wanna talk about music

Ms Beary

Peeping Tom - Mike Patton's latest experiment. "I don't listen to the radio, but if I did, this is what I'd want it to sound like," Patton says of the project. "This is my version of pop music. In a way, this is an exercise for me: taking all these things I've learned over the years and putting them into a pop format." They were booed off the stage in Wantagh, NY on September 13, in Boston on September 16, in New York City on September 19, while opening for Classic Rock group The Who.

Ceephax - little brother of old favorite Squarepusher

The Knife - swedish brother/sister duo. Kinda electropop I guess you'd call it, but very easy to listen to, EVERYBODY seems to like it that I play it for, but it doesn't mean it's dumbed down. Check it out.

The Books - "aleatoric" music. From Wikipedia: Aleatoric music (aleatory or chance music) is music in which some element of the composition is left to chance or some primary element of a composed work's realization is left to the determination of its performer(s). The term became known to European composers through lectures by acoustician Werner Meyer-Eppler at Darmstadt Summer School in the beginning of the 1950s. According to his definition, "aleatoric processes are such processes which have been fixed in their outline but the details of which are left to chance".

May 14, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

nice picks strawbeary...
i too am in love with the knife though my obsession has been somewhat assuaged... they were my band of the end of 06 start of 07 though... for months i listened to almost nothing else...
the song 'still light' on silent shout is fantastic and so beautiful...

as for mike patton, hes fantastic... first album i ever got was faith no more's the real thing, and ive been listening to him ever since

i personally have been going back re-listening to my old albums... rediscovering things...

my rediscovery of the past month or so has been architecture in helsinki, album fingers crossed... really love that whole thing... so much better than in case we die... in my opinion..

May 14, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

strawbeary, i recently discovered peeping tom too! i caught their set @ coachella and it was great!

May 14, 07 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i went to see peeping tom too, but didn't feel well and had to leave. the opening act (Pigeon John) was horrible, which didn't help. my husband and some friends stayed for mike patton, they said it was awesome, there was a girl doing some incredible beatboxing. Too bad I missed it. :(

another recent discovery: Pleaseosuar

May 14, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

has anyone ever seen "everything is illuminated"...i've always wanted to watch it just to see eugene hutz's (of gogol bordello) performance in it....he's quite the character.

May 14, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, futureboy, good movie. yes, hutz's character performance was great. gogol's music plays @ the opening and closing credits, and probably in other parts of the film.

May 14, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Strawbeary - Coincidently, I'm listening to The Books "The Lemon of Pink" right now. This album is my favorite by them.

Everything Is Illuminated is a rad book but I haven't made time to see the movie yet. One day.

May 14, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
lsobol

these are some of the most inspiring electronic/ambient musicians I've had playing in my ears lately...

aphex twin
sigur ros
vladislav delay
freeform
mum
stephan mathieu

http://www.last.fm/

May 14, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

n_ I listened to that this morning. :)

May 14, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

these guys basically rock

http://www.rhapsody.com/theserotonins/easierthanlearningtoread

May 14, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Torche

May 15, 07 1:01 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Peeping Tom is kind of boring. I recommend this Patton masterpiece:

May 15, 07 3:12 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

kdollaghan:

Of course man! I broke out all my old shit from highschool recently. I forgot how electro Mayhem's shit can get.

May 15, 07 9:43 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

holz.box:

Check out Siriusmo as well...

May 15, 07 9:45 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Kings of leon.....Rock..

May 20, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I'm gonna see Arcade Fire at the Greek tonight...woohoo

peace out!

May 30, 07 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

I'm a music whore. I like it all. It really depends on the day and what I'm doing. In the studio I like to listen to mostly college raido type stuff like

The Decemberists
Cold War Kids
G. Love
Sufjan Stephens
Eisley
Badly Drawn Boy
Ben Folds
Ben Harper
Built to Spill
Jose Gonzalez
Nico
Phish
Ryan Adams
and Yo La Tengo

For Late Night Sessions I pull out some Delta Blues
Chris Thomas King
John Lee Hooker
R.L. Burnside
Robert Johnson
Skip James
Son House

And for the rest of my life I mostly listen to mainstream stuff, rock, rap, country, classic rock, etc. I especially like
Black Crowes
Blues Traveler
AC/DC
Little Big Town
Brad Paisley
Trace Adkins
Billy Currington
Blake Shelton
Blind Melon
Chris LeDoux
Cold Play
Dave Matthews
Lil Wayne
Rich Boy
Jay Z
Grateful Dead
Jack Johnson
Interpol

I could go on forever. Like I said. I'm a music whore.

May 30, 07 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

Arcade Fire...at the Greek...last night...so freakin' unbelievable!!!!!
Was anyone there? One of the best shows I have ever seen! The production was incredible...

Seats weren't terrible....five rows back on the first terrace, but we were all the way on the side. God it was great though...

click here for the worst quality video ever...

May 31, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

dude!!!! i was @ the tuesday night show!!!

May 31, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

how sick was it?!??!?!

I wanno go again....and again... and again!

May 31, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i know!!! i didn't want it to end, ha ha!!!

it was dope! really good energy from the band.

and regine's voice when she sang "haiti"... damn...

almost made this man cry!

as good as the show was, it didn't touch their set @ coachella last month, but that was less about the band, and more about the setting/crowd.

May 31, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

did Win stage dive and run through the audiance all the way to the top of the highest balcony?

That was so awesome...

"My body is a cage" sent shivers down my spine! The bass from the percussion instruments just went through me...

May 31, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

err....audience

May 31, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

no! he didn't do that on tuesday night!

he did go into the crowd @ coachella.

did they have the win cardboard cut out for "my body is a cage"?

May 31, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

i was there too...it was an unforgettable show...my lady and i were dancing and singing with everyone else...great energy, i loved the guy on stage left rocking out whilst playing the xylaphone...classic

May 31, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

they are such a great band to see live!

i was going to highly encourage you archinectors out there to catch them, but they're only doing two more shows in the states (both in s.f.) and then heading to play a slew of festivals in europe.

so, you european archinectors should definitely go see them!

May 31, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Sconie
Dr. Frankenstein

rockabilly, surf, instrumental from Portugal--im tell'en yah.

a track from The Cursed Tapes
Theme for "The Mad Thinker"

May 31, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

arrrgh. i really want to like arcade fire. seems like i should.

but i don't.

May 31, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

why don't you want to?

all the cool kids are doing it...

May 31, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Don't worry. I'm not a huge fan, either. I saw them at the Austin City Limits Music Fest a couple of years ago. They put on a great concert, but I just can't listen to more than a couple of their songs at a time.

May 31, 07 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

hey, to each his/her own!

i've introduced them to several friends, and it seems like most people like them. however, one of my friends just couldn't get into them. and it's not that she's the picky type either, but she just didn't care for them.

oh well!

May 31, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

watching videos of live performances...and then seeing them live...really sold me.

A lot of bands sound good in studio productions, but the test for me is always the live show. Arcade fire really won me over... to coordinate that many people so beautifully takes enormous talent. Plus, I really LOVE the use of so many instruments! It sounds like they have a full orchestra...

They can even [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjxef8AfVQg
]rock out [/url] in an elevator!

May 31, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

They can even [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjxef8AfVQg
]rock out[/url] in an elevator!

May 31, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

d'oh!

let's [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjxef8AfVQg
]try[/url] that again.

May 31, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

wtf!? am i retarded? what am i doing wrong?

May 31, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

ug....rock out

May 31, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I dunno what I did different....but it worked...

May 31, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

well, as long as one of us knows what they're doing!

May 31, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

we're all in trouble if that's suppose to be me!

May 31, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

going to BEN FOLDS Saturday night!!! (he's opening up for john mayer)

also, going to Social D. July 7th (yay hootenany!)

what else is going on in LALALand this summer?

Jun 6, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

oh yeah....who could forget Glen Phillips at the Roxy on Friday night...I can't wait!

Jun 6, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I saw The Faint monday night. They are always amazing. Go see their show if you ever have a chance. You will certainly see more scenesters in one place then you would anywhere else...

Jun 6, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

whattodo! i've got the perfect link for you!

so far for this summer, i will be @

cafe tacuba & groove armada @ the bowl on july 15th

daft punk @ the sports arena july 21st

rock the bells (!!!) in august

stuff you should catch:

ozomatli @ grand avenue downtown on sunday (for free!!!)

lcd sound system will be playing 3 dats 6.10-6.12 @ the el rey (saw them @ coachella, and they kicked a$$)

peanut butter wolf vs. l.a. all next week, starting sunday @ various clubs.

Jun 6, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

oooh...thats cris!!!

def. going to the lcd sound system....damnit!! They are sold out!!!

great link tho!!!

Jun 6, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

meant THANKS not "thats"

Jun 6, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

no problem! =)

Jun 6, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

oh, and sign up for their concert mailing list.

every monday they email you their concerts for the week, as well as give heads up to shows on the horizon.

Jun 6, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

Band: NiN
Album: Year Zero
Song: Capital G

Thoughts?

Jun 6, 07 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

you know, i haven't heard the whole album, but i have heard capital g and eh... i don't really like how it starts, but it finishes ok.

Jun 6, 07 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

not new music, but a benefit was held for local hero richard "kush" griffith, formerly of james brown's jb's and parliament/pfunk. kush's band played for a bit, some local acts opened up, and then kush (trumpet, vocal) took the stage and played a few. after a while he introduced some buds from his jb's days: maceo parker (sax) and brother melvin (drums). the band played a while, then broke down and let kush, maceo, and melvin just play on for a while.

amazing musical event.

Jun 7, 07 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: