Archinect
anchor

Where to get registered?

gforsburg

I currently reside in two different states - technically I reside in one state and work in another - and am just about ready to begin the ARE testing. I know I can get reciprocity and am wondering which state I should get licensed in first. Are there any pros and cons of taking the exams and getting a license in one state over another that I should be aware of?

Dec 27, 17 12:52 pm
shellarchitect

your current firm may wonder about your future if you are licensed in the other state, but they may actually prefer it too.  I'd discuss it with them, unless you don't see a future there.  I assume the fees are roughly the same?  

Dec 27, 17 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

That depends on the states in question. There are some odd quirks in some states. Without knowing which states it's hard to make a recommendation. Fees do vary between states as well.

Dec 27, 17 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

You mentioned starting the ARE, but where are you with AXP? Looking at your profile, you work in New York. Note that New York has some specific requirements for experience that wouldn't apply in other states and if you want your license in New York you'll need to comply with those. Depending on your current employment situation, that may not be feasible.

Really though, what state you live in vs. what state your office is in might have very little to do with your ultimate decision. People move sometimes to find work, and unless your office needs you to start stamping projects (and you plan on staying there), you should be asking in which state do you think your projects will (eventually) be ... the ones that will actually require your stamp. The answer could possibly be neither the state you live in or work in currently.

The good news is that you can change which state you want to get your initial license in, at any time, up until the point NCARB transmits your record to the jurisdiction. So you have some time to figure it all out.

Dec 27, 17 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

Not knowing where you live exactly, the question of where are you with AXP requirements might result in shaping your pathway if you are wanting to start the ARE before finishing AXP. I believe NJ does not allow early eligibility for the ARE, and you'll need to have completed AXP first.

Dec 27, 17 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Assuming NY/NJ given your profile.

Get licensed in NY.

I've got 4 different registrations and NJ was worst jurisdiction to deal with. What takes days in NY takes months in NJ.

Dec 27, 17 6:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: