Archinect
anchor

Circular Steel Column

BulgarBlogger

I can’t find the UL listing for a 3hr gypsum board assembly that would protect a steel column with a circular cross section. Any pointers here?

Jun 29, 24 1:45 am
b3tadine[sutures]

I don’t see that assembly existing. Design No. X413, intumescent and spray applied is all there is, unless you decide prefabricated column.

Jun 29, 24 8:28 am  · 
 · 
natematt

Most interior gyp products have a bend radius over 10’, and even the stuff that is meant to bend is thinner and not usually in listings. I’m still not familiar with anything that bends as tight as a column. Maybe there is something special out there though. To do it with 5/8” type-x gyp bd you’d have to score it which probably voids the fire resistance. 

I’d say you have three options:

• Use spray applied fireproofing for your rating, then wrap it with studs and gyp, which can then be bent with scores on the backside or however the contractor wants to achieve it…You might want to go with a metal column cover instead then, as I’m skeptical the gyp will look very good like this.
  • Or you could just use intumescent.
  • Or, you could probably find an option with plaster. Not sure about ULs, but I’m pretty sure there are prescriptive fire resistance options for columns using plaster in the IBC that could be applied to a round column just fine. 
Jun 29, 24 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: