Archinect
anchor

Neil Breen

axonapoplectic

for those of you who follow outsider cinema, this guy is a legend. He’s made some of the most incomprehensible train wrecks that are up there in stature as cult classics like “the room.” He also claims that he is an architect (which I think explains the messianic/god complex he has toward himself in his movies). However, I am very curious what buildings he’s worked on. Does anyone here know?

Jul 2, 24 8:10 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedLe...

I don't know if this is true or not.  One of the commenters said:

"I called the Nevada State Board of Architecture, Interior Design and Residential Design and they have no record of a Neil Breen being a licensed architect in Nevada. A search here https://red.prod.secure.nv.gov/Lookup/LicenseLookup.aspx shows that he was a licensed real estate "salesperson" at one time in Nevada, but that license expired in 2005. Although the California license above expired in 2011 (and did show him as working in Las Vegas), he was saying as recently as a 2014 interview that he was a "licensed" architect. Just for good measure, I checked the remaining surrounding states of Arizona, Utah, Oregon, and Idaho and found no records their either. I don't know what he's doing for money nowadays, but it's certainly not licensed architecture."

Jul 2, 24 10:09 am  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

This guy is a real mystery. From “back east” but doesn’t say where or where he went to school. There’s got to be something in his past he doesn’t want known. Plus there’s this weird libertarian bent to his films.

Jul 2, 24 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

Chad that citation is weird because it says he was once licensed as a realtor in Nevada then in the next sentence says he used to be licensed in California but as what? His wikipedia page says he was licensed as an architect in California.

Jul 2, 24 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

I know. 

There are a few Reddit posts by Neil saying he is an architect in Nevada, one when he says California. There is also a Reddit post where Neil says he had a realtor license for a year in Nevada but never did anything with it.

It's all very odd.

Jul 2, 24 5:32 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

you're mistaking him for tommy wiseau in The Room.

Jul 2, 24 11:44 am  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

Nope. Different guy.

Jul 2, 24 12:05 pm  · 
1  · 

Yeah, Neil is a different guy. Neil's made several films as horrible as  'The Room' by Tommy Wiseau.

Both Neil and Tommy seem to have HUGE egos to the point of narcissism though.  

Jul 2, 24 12:11 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

neil didn't make The Room, tommy did.

Jul 2, 24 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

I know. 

axonapoplectic wrote: 

"He’s made some of the most incomprehensible train wrecks that are up there in stature as cult classics like “the room.”

No one said Neil made 'The Room'.  Just that Neil's made films as bad as 'The Room'.  

Jul 2, 24 1:07 pm  · 
1  · 
monosierra

Now you're making me want to see Wiseau the architect.

Jul 2, 24 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

Ok yeah, that would be awesome.

Jul 3, 24 8:52 am  · 
 · 

Imagine the 'oh, hi Mark' line but directed at a client.

Jul 3, 24 9:54 am  · 
1  · 
monosierra

Oh hi Markup ammirite

Jul 3, 24 10:43 am  · 
 · 

IIRC the weird evil Mormon real estate developer in Physical was named Breen. Perhaps a shoutout?

Jul 2, 24 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

I ask you Rick

Jul 2, 24 5:01 pm  · 
3  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: