Archinect
anchor

Fee to Transfer CDs to another architect?

rickharlan

I have a 100,000sf warehouse project in NJ with a client that made many changes over the course of the project, and was very difficult from day one to get payment for my work. I broke ties with them after they finally paid me, and gave a former employee the task of doing the Construction Administration. I don’t believe they have applied for a permit yet.

They now want changes made and they want me to give my former employee authority to make the changes. I don’t necessarily have a problem with this, except I think someone should pay for the rights. I will get my insurance companies input and lawyers input on liability. But what should I charge to release the BIM files?

Jul 1, 24 12:12 pm

The amount is up to you.  Your firm owns the drawings, not the owner.  

On a related note, we NEVER release BIM files to a client or another architect unless it's been stipulated in our contract.  This contract has language that protects us form being sued for errors in our BIM. 

Jul 1, 24 12:48 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

You say you got paid finally. Presumably, you've done nothing further without knowing payment was forthcoming. If so, I'm not sure why you need to be paid further to hand off the project.

Just give your blessing, relinquish any professional responsibility to it, and say hallelujah they are someone else's problem. And notify the jurisdiction that you are not the responsible professional, just in case. If they need digital docs beyond the pdf's, just get a written waiver in place about responsibility for all dimensions, notes etc. Is the consultant team paid up? Are they even willing to move to the former employee?

My guess is your liability is low since it never went to permit or bid (ie unfinished design work).

Jul 1, 24 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

I have to disagree with this. An architects drawings are a product of our services. To provide them to a client is an additional fee. Unless noted in your contract BIM (or cad) files are NEVER included in the product to be given to the client. You need a contract with the owner that you will not be liable for anything to do with the project or the BIM. This alone is worth some additional fee to accommodate the time and expense you incur.

FYI:  when providing BIM to a client you liability is not low.  Especially with what little has been shared about the client.  

Jul 1, 24 5:00 pm  · 
2  · 
Janosh

The fee to transfer the work is probably best thought of and justified as lost profit potential from the CA phase services. If you decide to do it make sure that you get a law talking dude to give you some language around indemnification and the successor architect's responsibilities.

Jul 1, 24 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I have heard from a lawyer and architect that regardless of the language used, it's not possible to remove your liability if you share a working file with someone else.

Jul 2, 24 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

Correct. You can never remove all liability. You can however, remove as much liability as possible so that you won't be liable in court.

Jul 2, 24 5:11 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Not according to this guy, who is highly experienced and active on another forum, but common opinion seems to differ.

Jul 2, 24 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

Our lawyer and insurance says different. Obviously, you can always be sued. The idea is to have a contract that once litigation actually moves to trial that the plaintiff will have a very hard, if not impossible time proving you were responsible or negligent.

Jul 2, 24 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Exactly - the idea isn't just about limiting liability, it's also to disincentivize someone making a claim by raising the burden of proof and cost to pursue.

Jul 3, 24 12:18 am  · 
1  · 
bureauspacecraft

I think how and why a contract was ended determines whether the owner or architect has a legal right to the "instruments of service" per standard AIA contracts?

Jul 2, 24 10:53 am  · 
 · 

The owner has no legal right to the BIM or AutoCAD files. The owner only has a legal right to a copy of the Construction Documents.

Jul 2, 24 11:41 am  · 
1  · 
bureauspacecraft

You are correct- that's an important distinction.

https://learn.aiacontracts.com...

Jul 2, 24 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

I only know this because the firm I'm currently with makes it very clear in proposals and contracts that BIM and AutoCAD files are not included. If the owner wants them then they need to sign an additional contract / waiver and pay us an additional fee.

Jul 2, 24 12:22 pm  · 
1  · 
bureauspacecraft

And that is fair!

Jul 2, 24 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Whatever you charge, get a cashier's check upfront for the full amount. Only send the files after the check clears.

Jul 2, 24 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
bennyc

I would charge the amount equivalent of someone having to redraw from beginning the amount of drawing or work that the cad / bim provides. 

Jul 2, 24 9:55 pm  · 
 · 

On very important thing to remember is that AIA contract have sections in them about providing BIM / AutoCAD files to the client as part of the deliverables.  I've been told that the newer AIA contract has this section included by default.  It's up to you if that section stays in the contract or not.  

Jul 3, 24 9:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: