Archinect
anchor

CPBD exam specifications under review by NCBDC.

no_form
One follow up to the table question. If the table is constructed from eucalyptus wood it could deplete natural resources in the outback. This in turn leads to erosion and potential mudslides. That can lead to kangaroo drownings. Life cycle costs are a trick part of this question.
Apr 26, 16 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Question:  You are in a first year studio class.  Your professor asks you to design a museum on a site in NYC.  What's the first thing that you should do?

A.  Report the teacher to the state board for soliciting architectural services from non registrants.

B.  Ask your hacker friends in the cia to dig up more dirt on the professor so that you can build a case.

C. Disembowel the professor immediately with a t-square before any civilians are injured.  

D.  Drop out of school and search Astoria for "one eyed willys" hidden treasure before the Frattelli bros. get to it.  

Apr 26, 16 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

Bloopox,

I'm aware of its history when it was a completely separate entity. In the early 90s, it was an independent council. From the mid-90s to around 2010 or 2011, they were independent completely. In 2010 or 2011 or so.... give or take, there was a merger of sorts made while retaining the NCBDC as independent council of the AIBD with its own board.

Apr 26, 16 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
It's A then D. JLA-x
Apr 26, 16 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

No form, you missed the obvious.  Koalas eat eucalyptus and are protected species in Australia and therefore they are protected under the hsw of the " public".  AIBD members have a greater fiduciary duty to koalas than kangaroos.  By cutting down trees koalas can get the leaves easier and have less risk of falling so eucalyptus tables are ok. 

Apr 26, 16 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Rick if that's true then they're running afoul of laws for running non-profits as well as proper test development procedures.  They need to have entirely separate oversight or this exam will never be considered valid by any regulatory entity (among other reasons).

Apr 26, 16 4:28 pm  · 
 · 

D.

The dumpster was due to spontaneously combust anyway, so it is better to set it on fire and be done with it.

Apr 26, 16 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Hey Rick, I heard they were going to get rid of the exam. All you have to do is the truffle shuffle to gain entry.
Apr 26, 16 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Boom! Nice one Josh! Baby Ruth!
Apr 26, 16 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

jla-x

correct answer is 'e' (secret):

Set up a kickstarter to fund your guerrilla grass-routs organization to slowly take down the teachers' position within the school by inserting an ailed tenured prof who, over the course of several semesters, belittle your ex-studio prof to the point where the only place left to hide is Astoria. Running tangentiel to this, you spend zero efforts learning about design, architecture, or professional practice and instead work restlessly on your copy-paste and google/wiki skills.

Apr 26, 16 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

those poor koalas.

Apr 26, 16 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

Bloopox,

They do have a separate council for the administration of the NCBDC exam from that of the AIBD's Board of directors. AIBD's BoD's main purpose is to oversight of the overall organization as a whole not the exam administration itself. The exam administration is separate under the NCBDC council not the AIBD BoD. To serve on the NCBDC council, you have to be a CPBD.

Apr 26, 16 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Maybe I'm naturally oversensitive, or maybe someone just slipped me decaf coffee this morning, but building designer rewards those who show scrupulous adherence to its worldview and punishes those who weaken the critical links in its nexus of manipulative, piteous boosterism. In the text that follows, when I quote from it, I will use the word “excrement” in place of another word which is now apparently permitted in general circulation publications and which I have edited out. Building designer, does the word “hyperconscientiousness” mean anything to you? We can say that there is little question that for all of building designer's professed concern for human rights, it has yet to take a firm and unambiguous stand against those pouty troglodytes who commit acts of banditry and insurgency, and building designer can claim the opposite, and it won't make one bit of difference. If you're the type who dares to think for yourself then you've probably already determined that in public, building designer promises that it'd never obfuscate the issue so that one can't see what ought to be entirely obvious to all. In private, however, it secretly tells its helpers that it'll do exactly that. I think we've seen this movie before: It's called Business as Usual for building designer.

If you think that this is humorous or exaggerated, you're wrong. We have a dilemma of leviathan proportions on our hands: Should we give parents the means to protect their children, or is it sufficient to reverse the devolutionary course that building designer has set for us? As you no doubt realize, that's a particularly timely question. In fact, just half an hour ago I heard someone express the opinion that for those of us who make our living trying to think outside the box, it is important to consider that its list of sins is long and each one deserves more space than I have here. Therefore, rather than describe each one individually, I'll summarize by stating that it takes more than a mass of shrewish numskulls to deliver new information about building designer's grotesque conclusions. It takes a great many thoughtful and semi-thoughtful people who are willing to give building designer the severe tongue-lashing it deserves.

We can never return to the past. And if we are ever to move forward to the future, we have to defend the principles of individual freedom, the rule of law, private property, and limited government. Building designer's vassals want to make mountains out of molehills for one purpose and one purpose only: to eviscerate every bit of social progress of the past century. Building designer knows how to lie. It's too bad it doesn't yet understand the ramifications of lying. After having read this, you may think that building designer's plenipotentiaries are the worst that humanity has to offer. Nevertheless, you should always remember that truth, for building designer, is whatever it happens to be saying at the time.

Apr 26, 16 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

Excuse me Mr. Architect,

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU BABBLING ABOUT?

Apr 26, 16 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

That automatic rant makes about as much sense as RB-OR does...

Apr 26, 16 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect history folks. 4/26/16 - Mr. Balkins became self-aware of his posts through others.
Apr 26, 16 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Wonderful.
Apr 26, 16 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

haha josh.

Apr 26, 16 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Problem:
Went to take in the AC/DC over at the CBGB OMFUG, but got the dates mixed up and ended up at a show where D12 was doing MC5 covers for a U2 anniversary benefit. INXS or NOFX, it was a  tough crowd regardless, but the BTO and CCR crews were on site to make the whole deal TLC compliant.
Question: where would you file for a UB40 as an exempt building designer?

Apr 26, 16 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

hint for Balkins:

Apr 26, 16 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Architecture is the study of buildings and structures and how to design new ones.

Do i need a license to practice?

Practice what?

Architecture.

What style of architecture do you like?

Licensed architecture.

Why?

What is ugly to you?

Architecture done without a license.

This conversation has concluded.

You still haven't answered my question?

What was your question again?

Do I need a license to practice architecture?

Oh, I believe in yesterday, Mmh mmh mmh mmh mmh mmh mmh.

Richard Balkins told me I needed a license.

Haha I love The Beatles.

What the fuck are you smoking?

Without trouble and injustice we would be a bunch of lazy softies.

Architecture? license? need it?

Just fight back and think before you act.

Do you like architecture?

Architecture is a great way to understand our culture and the constant changes we undergo.

Do I need a license?

Why do you need your license?

Richard Balkins said I did.

Who's Richard Stanley

No Balkins.

Black is the absence of color.

http://www.cleverbot.com/

Apr 26, 16 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Architecture is the study of buildings and structures and how to design new ones.

Practice what?

Architecture.

Licensed architecture.

Why?

What is ugly to you?

Haha I love The Beatles.

Architecture is a great way to understand our culture and the constant changes we undergo.

Do I need a license?

Who's Richard Stanley

No Balkins.

· 
awaiting_deletion

Practice what?

Architecture.

Licensed architecture.

Why?

What is ugly to you?

Haha I love The Beatles.

Do I need a license?

Who's Richard Stanley

No Balkins.

· 
awaiting_deletion

my bad dude, triple posted a pointless conversation with a robot.

Apr 26, 16 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
IDFK if you file the UB40 with UNICEF or the IBEW or maybe if they accept it I can just send it to Rick Ross courtesy of UOENO. Before that I'll file it with NKOTB and B2M for safe measure. They are all independently run sub committees of REM which is a non profit venture run by ABBA who is a for profit LLC charged with organizing the recruitment and retainment of architect wanna-bes.
Apr 26, 16 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

First off, NCBDC (National Council of Building Designer Certification) was originally created in the early 1990s by AIBD as the certification council. Around 1997 or so, NCBDC became its own separate entity. If I recall correctly, it WAS a for-profit corporation.

In 2011, AIBD & NCBDC entered into an agreement to merge.

At this point, I'm only basing on my understanding of the details of went on. I was not directly involved in that process. From my understanding, the NCBDC (For-Profit corporation) dissolved as part of the merger process. AIBD created an independent council named the NCBDC (National Council of Building Designer Certification). The NCBDC started as a council within the AIBD and in essence returned to being a council within the NCBDC. AIBD amended its bylaws to allow creation of independent councils. Promptly so, AIBD established the NCBDC council. As conditions of the merger, the NCBDC would be an independent council with its own board of examiners.

The for-profit incarnation from the best of my knowledge is dissolved. NCBDC like it was in the beginning and now again since 2011, the certification 'arm' of the AIBD. The AIBD is a non-profit. NCBDC is a council of that non-profit. At one point in time in its existence, it was a for-profit entity but that is now the past. 

Apr 26, 16 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

WTF

Apr 26, 16 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

Apr 26, 16 10:30 pm  · 
 · 

With regard to AIBD, prior to 1950, its predecessor known as the United Designers Association (UDA) in California. In other states, had their own "designer associations" representing home designers/building designers. It was with the mission and goal of the AIBD to unite the different associations. A number of the states had their own association including Washington state and some others. They became state societies of the AIBD. In those days, some of them had their own certifications. Eventually, AIBD as a national began to standardize the certifications. In time, it transformed into the CPBD exam. 

Apr 26, 16 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

i think this should be the new home page for RICK BALKANS BUILDING DESIGNER:

http://kvartirakrasivo.ru/404/index.php

makes as much sense as the verbal diarrhea balkans is spewing out. 

Apr 26, 16 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Rick nobody cares about the history of this organization.  If you really want to recruit professionals to assist in its current incarnation, perhaps you could invite somebody who represents the organization in an official capacity to provide concrete information on the details of training, expected time commitment, compensation if any, reimbursement for associated expenses, ownership of copyright on test content, royalties, etc.

You have worse than zero credibility on this site - your information and understandings prove incorrect again and again.  You have a long history of pretending to have more official information, connections, and authority within organizations and companies than you really have. Frankly AIBD/NCBDC could not possibly find a worse spokesperson and ambassador.

Apr 26, 16 11:04 pm  · 
 · 

Alright, fine. Forget it guys. I'm sure we can go about it without you guys.

The organization has been around since before you were practicing so perhaps we don't need you.

Apr 26, 16 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

believe me the feeling is mutual 

Apr 26, 16 11:17 pm  · 
 · 

Fine.

Apr 26, 16 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Goes on architecture forum to ask people who are or are studying to become real architects to write exam questions for worthless for profit organization that undermines the profession.

Classic RWCB PBD
Apr 26, 16 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
At least we're all much more aware of kangaroo drownings. See, there is always a positive.
Apr 27, 16 12:03 am  · 
 · 

no_form,

AIBD is a non-profit. NCBDC as a complete separate organization doesn't exist since 2011. It was merged into AIBD and re-formed as an independent council within the AIBD. We are talking about stuff 5 years ago.

Apr 27, 16 1:03 am  · 
 · 
no_form
http://www.treeroorescue.org.au/

A real organization that actually does something. I can even turn it into an acronym for RWCB to wear on his lapel. TEROOR.
Apr 27, 16 1:28 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

All I've learned is that kangaroos should not swim in infinity pools because they can easily jump over the edge.

Apr 27, 16 3:09 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

the kangeroos are not addressed in International Building Code. This must be addressed.

Apr 27, 16 7:12 am  · 
 · 
Yippee!

You gotta reference IKC aka International Kangaroo Code for that.

Apr 27, 16 8:45 am  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Richard it seems to me that the suggestion above was a good one:  get someone who represents AIBD in an official role - specifically somebody who was directly involved in the plans for test content development - to join the thread and provide official information - both on the structure of AIBD and NCBDC and on the details and logistics of inviting architects to design test components.

When people ask questions and you can't answer them, it doesn't help to just keep repeating the same thing.  It isn't that we didn't read it and understand it - it's just that you keep framing things as your "understanding" - not as fact or official policy.

The fact that you lack credibility isn't a criticism of you - it's just the situation with anybody who is part of the rank-and-file membership of any group.  It's like if I were to come on here and share a news blurb from an AIA email, and then try to fill in with guesswork all the details that weren't provided.  That's an irresponsible and unprofessional way to represent your organization, and reflects poorly on both you and the organization.  The way to do it right is to get somebody who is directly involved with this initiative to take over the discussion, and that is your cue to sit back and be quiet.

Apr 27, 16 10:01 am  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

I would also like to know, from someone in an official capacity, what percent of people who take this exam typically pass it.  The information available for test candidates indicates that an initial fail is no big deal because you can make an appointment to retake just the failed parts - same content, not a fresh set of questions or design problems - in somebody's office at your convenience.  If that's true then this test really can't be taken seriously as a measure of competency. 

Apr 27, 16 10:09 am  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Apparently it's even worse than that.  It's offered all online.  How do they even verify that the person taking the exam is the person whose name is on it?  With that level of oversight and security why do they bother with developing content at all? They could just send a nice certificate with a gold seal on it right out to anyone who sends the test fee and a picture of themselves pointing to a building.

Apr 27, 16 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Richard Balkins, Why would anyone want the fucking useless certification anyways.  No one cares.  Clients have never asked me about licenses or certifications.  They only ask to see past work, client reviews, etc.  No one gives a shit. Spend your time doing work and finding projects  and stop wasting time with these useless credentials. 

Apr 27, 16 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Usually clients first want to see my portfolio.  If they ask anything about qualifications it's always "are you AIA" (the only architect-related "credential" with which they're familiar), and also "where did you get your architecture degree?"  For residential or small private commercial projects those are the only things that ever matter.

If it's a school, university, or municipal client they usually ask about LEED.  When the client is an OPM, CM, or builder they're more sophisticated and mostly concerned with permitting, so they ask about which states I'm licensed in and occasionally whether I'm NCARB certified.  

There are some others that have come up for certain projects (cities that require someone on the team be a CEM, states that require certain state-awarded designations for public projects, some university and institutional clients who require a CSI CCA on the project, etc.)  For any of those that I don't have I just assure them the team will have one, and then I find one.

Apr 27, 16 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

What a joke of a certification.

I spotted actual plans out in the real world from an actual CPBD months ago. It turns out, despite Balkins' example to the contrary, some people are actually able to have legitimate businesses as exempt building designers. I only noticed it was from a CPBD and not an architect because of Balkins and his yammering about the certification. I probably wouldn't have even thought twice about it otherwise.

Case Study:

My mother-in-law was managing the installation of some new computer terminals or something in her office building and she was looking for a clean floor plan to illustrate locations for the contractor. She had drawings from the last renovation they did in the office years ago, drawn by a local CPBD. 

I took the plan and some trace, and I traced over the walls with a sharpie and added door swings and room names with a pen. I didn't even charge for the half hour it took.

Using the above case study and assuming you are a CPBD (and not an employee of one of the top architecture firms in the US), complete the following: 

Before doing any work you should first ...

A) ... ask for financial statements from your mother-in-law to verify she can secure project funding before doing any work.

B) ... call up the local AHJ, and sift through county records to determine if the work done years ago, and shown in the plans drawn by the local CPBD, was for an exempt building, and that all proper permits and approvals were secured. If you find any discrepency make sure to report the local CPBD to the proper authorities. 

C) ... set up a meeting with your mother-in-law to show examples of previous hand-drafted work (drawn by hand) so you can emphasize how much you look forward to living in her basement (or attic) in the years to come, but that you'd also like to discuss making some renovations to the basement (or attic) so clients can stop by occasionally (assume that your in laws' residence is zoned appropriately for this use).

D) ... secure proper FAA credentials for your drone, and break out the theodolite to perform a completely unnecessary survey of the existing office, solidifying your position in the family as a professional failure prompting your mother-in-law to encourage your wife to reach out to an old boyfriend on Facebook who she noticed recently got divorced.

Apr 27, 16 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Is drafting on a commodore considered close enough to hand-drafting given it's near antique-level age?

Apr 27, 16 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

There are quite a few residential designers in my area who do quality work. A few are among the top "Architects" in the area building with all sorts of unconventional systems.  Some even on the glossy Arch Record magazines.  If Balkins would spend his time doing work rather than fiddling with this crap he may be able to build an actual business. 

Apr 27, 16 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Everyday Intern, the answer is all of the above, and submit plans for an addition to a tool shed in the neighbour's front yard in lieu of an office layout.

Apr 27, 16 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: