Archinect
anchor

CPBD exam specifications under review by NCBDC.

eeayeeayo,

I'll email Steve Mickley to verify organizational status of NCBDC and little more details on that. 

Apr 27, 16 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ does Steve Mickley have a solution to our kangaroon drowning problems?

Perhaps some sort of flotation vest I suspect despite what many might think, kagaroo drownings is well known across hundreds of nations all over the world. kagaroo drownings has been around for several centuries and has a very important meaning in the lives of many. It would be safe to assume that kagaroo drownings is going to be around for a long time and have an enormous impact on the lives of many people.

Social & Cultural Factors

kagaroo drownings has a large role in American Culture. Many people can often be seen taking part in activities associated with kagaroo drownings. This is partly because people of most ages can be involved and families are brought together by this. Generally a person who displays their dislike for kagaroo drownings may be considered an outcast.

Economic Factors

It is not common practice to associate economics with kagaroo drownings. Generally, kagaroo drownings would be thought to have no effect on our economic situation, but there are in fact some effects. The sales industry associated with kagaroo drownings is actually a 2.3 billion dollar a year industry and growing each year. The industry employs nearly 150,000 people in the United States alone. It would be safe to say that kagaroo drownings play an important role in American economics and shouldn't be taken for granted.

Environmental Factors

After a three month long research project, I've been able to conclude that kagaroo drownings doesn't negatively effect the environment at all. A kagaroo drownings did not seem to result in waste products and couldn't be found in forests, jungles, rivers, lakes, oceans, etc... In fact, kagaroo drownings produced some positive effects on our sweet little nature.

Political Factors

Oh does kagaroo drownings ever influence politics. Last year 5 candidates running for some sort of position used kagaroo drownings as the primary topic of their campaign. A person might think kagaroo drownings would be a bad topic to lead a campaign with, but in fact with the social and environmental impact is has, this topic was able to gain a great number of followers. These 5 candidates went 4 for 5 on winning their positions.

Conclusion

kagaroo drownings seem to be a much more important idea that most give credit for. Next time you see or think of kagaroo drownings, think about what you just read and realize what is really going on. It is likely you under valued kagaroo drownings before, but will now start to give the credited needed and deserved.

Apr 27, 16 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

Richard Balkins, Why would anyone want the fucking useless certification anyways.  No one cares.  Clients have never asked me about licenses or certifications.  They only ask to see past work, client reviews, etc.  No one gives a shit. Spend your time doing work and finding projects  and stop wasting time with these useless credentials. 

jla-x,

I know you aren't a fan of the licensing laws. The licensing laws is a statutory requirement. It wouldn't be long that building departments will expect at least some level of certification for the exempt projects. The age of home owners designing their own homes will probably go the way of the dodo bird unless you happen to be certified or licensed.

Unless you guys decide to repeal the licensing laws for being an architect and turn the trend the other way, regulations are going to be more so and certifications as with licensing (credentials) are going to be critical for public searching for people with some verification of competence by third party. 

Apr 27, 16 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

i can tell you what needs to go the way of dodo bird...

btw ricky water closet, a licensed architect does not make for a competent one.  when it comes to smaller projects, word of mouth gets more work and credibility than someone googling "CPBD, Astoria, Oregon."

Apr 27, 16 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

Apparently it's even worse than that.  It's offered all online.  How do they even verify that the person taking the exam is the person whose name is on it?  With that level of oversight and security why do they bother with developing content at all? They could just send a nice certificate with a gold seal on it right out to anyone who sends the test fee and a picture of themselves pointing to a building.

It's in the proctoring service process.

You know, a high definition camera, show your ID card, as well as some other verification methods.

The camera will probably have to be 1080p and higher camera. We aren't talking 1995 era web cameras anymore.

https://proctoru.com

Start there.

Apr 27, 16 3:41 pm  · 
 · 

"Everyday Intern, the answer is all of the above, and submit plans for an addition to a tool shed in the neighbour's front yard in lieu of an office layout."

Non Sequitur, I'm sorry your answer is incorrect. But since anyone could conceivably take this test for you, and since you can keep trying again and again to pass those portions you fail ... feel free to give it another shot or get someone else to answer for you. 

I'll give you a hint though, your answer didn't address the protected kangaroo burial grounds the neighbor's tool shed would uncover. Also keep in mind that you might need to take a course in ground penetrating radar at the local community college. Securing funding for that course might be problematic as well given your daily allowance and how much needs to be reserved for meals.

Apr 27, 16 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

so the CPBD exam is actually a pervy web cam scheme? 

Apr 27, 16 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Wrong again Rick.  They would have to grandfather anyone in who is already practicing and earning a living.  The state can't force you to close down shop and shut down your business lol.  That would be an illegal seizure of property.  I have 2 real lawyers in my fam that can confirm that if you don't believe me so please save your time cutting and pasting from Wikipedia. 

Apr 27, 16 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

There is absolutely no way I could appear on the webcam while someone else is taking my exam on a second monitor or feeding me test answers. Problem solved.

Apr 27, 16 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Rick there's a guy on AIBD's facebook page saying he already took it via internet, and passed immediately.  Again you didn't answer the question:  what percentage of people actually ever fail this exam?  Post some real statistics, not a guess.  Stop trying to be the spokesperson for an organization you joined a year or two ago.  You don't even qualify to take this exam.

As for "show your ID" - on a web cam? Really?  and what's to stop you from paying me to take your test for you and photoshopping an ID with my picture and your name?

As for states moving toward requiring more credentials:  why wouldn't they just scrap "exempt" projects and require an architect or engineer?  Those are credentials the state already regulates.  Why on earth are they going to even consider some credential they've never heard of that nobody else recognizes?

Even in the few states that require architects for residential projects now, homeowners are still allowed to design and do construction and even wiring and plumbing on their own residential properties - I can't see that changing - too much DIY pioneer spirit.

Apr 27, 16 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Question: is your name Richard Balkins

A. Yes

B. No

If you answer A you automatically fail and get exiled to the Australian Outback where you spend the remainder of your life teaching Kangaroos how to use a theodite.   

Apr 27, 16 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Theodolite. 

Apr 27, 16 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Actually, since the theodolite is so outdated, he will be better served artificially inseminating kangaroos to help boost their population.  

Apr 27, 16 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

Sponty,

Why won't they just remove the exemption, the AIBD and the NAHB won't let that happen. 

Apr 27, 16 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Question: If Richard Balkins was a sandwich, what type would he be?

a.  A precisely cut (no crust) ham and cheese on white bread, carefully warped, and immediately discarded since its maker lacked the necessary online testing for licensed sandwich makers.

b.  An uncooked hamburger, preferably from a greasy-spoon diner that still allows patrons to smoke inside. No pickles.

c.  Vegetarian roast-beef

d.   Peanut butter and jelly served to an allergic kid via drone

Apr 27, 16 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

e. A Soggy Shit sandwich

Apr 27, 16 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
"e. A Soggy Shit sandwich"

Is that your final answer?
Apr 27, 16 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Tangential question, is soggy better than dry?
Apr 27, 16 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

F.  A bologna sandwich on white bread with a side of Cosby Jello for desert.  

Apr 27, 16 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Ha.  All zero AIBD members and 10 NAHB members in the state are going to rise up and prevail?  Good luck to them.

Apr 27, 16 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

A.  although the sandwich bread would need to be made from scratch from clatsop county wheat and baked by balkins.  the meat would need to be made from hogs raised in balkin's backyard (if appropriately zoned for agricultural use) and then fed a grass fed diet.  slaughtering would be done by USDA standards in an approved facility by clatsop county health department.  the assembly would be done by drones and monitored for accuracy with a theodolite and dial calipers.  the paper wrapping would be from 100% post-consumer recycled paper made by hand in his basement under cottage industry special permit.  the wrapping of the sandwich with the paper would be done in a USDA ASTM certified facility approved by clatsop county health department.  consumption of said sandwich would be done wearing NSF rubber gloves.  the rubber coming from sustainable sourced trees harvested by fair trade labor.  consumption would occur in a clatsop county health department approved space with all necessary protections i.e.: sneeze guards, air curtains, FRP finishes, etc.  

Apr 27, 16 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

States will never get rid of sfr exemptions.  Most states are trying to slim down on regs. 

Apr 27, 16 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Lol +++no form

Apr 27, 16 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

When NCBDC became separate from the AIBD, the National Council of Building Designer, Inc. was formed July 30th 1998 in Oklahoma as a DOMESTIC NOT FOR PROFIT CORPORATION. The NCBDC acronym continued to be used.

https://www.sos.ok.gov/corp/corpInformation.aspx?id=2100608293

Registered Agent: Bill G. Hefner.

I have a reply from the executive director from AIBD. He confirmed that as part of the merger, National Council of Building Designer Certification, Inc. was dissolved upon merger as it was merged into the American Institute of Building Design (a 501(c)6 District of Columbia registered non-profit corporation) in 2011.

Within the terms of the merger agreement,  the AIBD then created a Designated Council with the name: National Council of Building Designer Certification. This council is a separate council than the AIBD's Board of Directors.  The National Council of Building Designer Certification, within the AIBD, has its own governing board called the BOARD OF EXAMINERS. The Board of Examiners is authorized to make certain decisions like the AIBD's Board of Directors "but only on decisions that relates to the certification program". 

Yes, there are for profit businesses in the world that uses the same NCBDC acronym. However, I was talking about the National Council of Building Designer Certification including "National Council of Building Designer Certification, Inc." not the National Cooperative Bank Development Corporation.

Apr 27, 16 7:13 pm  · 
 · 

SpontaneousCombustion,

What state do you live in that has that few NAHB?

Apr 27, 16 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Rick you have an email from the executive director that contains the phrase "but only on decisions that relates to the certification program"?  He writes worse than you do!  You're doing the best job anybody could possibly do to make AIBD look like a bunch of morons.  Consider that if any potential client ever does google "AIBD" or "NCBDC" they're going to find this thread.

Apr 27, 16 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
This thread was funny. Now it's just sad. Like two vinyl single hung windows with a wood door entry on a blank wall sad.
Apr 27, 16 8:09 pm  · 
 · 

Bloopox,

He isn't Shakesphere for gawd sake.

I'm not Hemmingway and you are no Dickens.

Apr 27, 16 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

dickens was paid by the word.

why are you still going on about this?

Apr 27, 16 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

Josh, You want big f---ing windows casting light into the live performance theater? It's a small theater. It's a Vaudville/Melodrama style theater program. The stage is in the rear of the main structure (C.M.U. constructed). It's about 20-ft. deep by about 38-ft. wide. Then you have the audience seating area. The front/northern side has the ticket booth, the projectionist area with the projecting light, the souvenir stand on the northwest corner and on the northeast corner the soda, popcorn and beer.

Apr 27, 16 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
Like I said previously Rick, you should not have had an entry open directly into the performance space.

This is why you hire an architect.
Apr 27, 16 8:26 pm  · 
 · 

curtkram,

My point to Bloopox is to quit expecting me to right eloquently. I am not a damn poet. I don't write to impress people in poetry and fancy writing. I took technical writing in college not poetry. 

Apr 27, 16 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
*write
Apr 27, 16 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"I don't write to impress people in poetry and fancy writing"

Ricky, you only write to impress yourself.

Apr 27, 16 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i don't think shakespere, dickens, or hemmingway were known as poets.  percy shelley was, or john keats.  those could be good examples.

Apr 27, 16 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

you know who's a good poet is dylan thomas.  he has great stuff.  you should be reading that instead of this crap about alternative licensure or whatever it is you think you're doing.

Apr 27, 16 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

if i recall, he did a show on bbc radio for a while. i bet you could search for it on you tube.  you might not even have to read it, he could read it out loud for you.

Apr 27, 16 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

what the fuck is this shit shit

Apr 27, 16 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

what's more sad than balkin's vinyl theater farce is kangaroos drowning in water towers constructed by CPBD's working outside their jurisdiction.  

Apr 27, 16 8:51 pm  · 
 · 

Josh Ming,

This is a small theater. They were in a building before hand where the doors opens directly. There isn't a bog lobby area Josh. They didn't have that in its prior space. They had to lease the property, finance the remodeling and collect money to purchase the property. They didn't have a budget. If they hired an architect, they would be closed. Why?

Architects like yourself wants to make the project big. They always go over budget  and go with champaigne taste. Sorry, when you have a beer budget, you don't buy champaigne and fancy wine. You buy a case of bud lite.

In order for there to be what you suggested, they would have to build a lobby with new ticket booth at that location, and of course some  additional permanent restrooms. You have maybe 15' x 50' to maybe 75-ft. of area to add. Assuming a 750 sq.ft. addition. At about an RS Means estimate.... you are probably looking at around $150/sq.ft. construction cost. That's $112,500. A $112,500 that they didn't have. Those windows are easily removable and replace the few sheets of T-111,batten strips, underlayment, etc. It doesn't cost that much.

The project was in part frustrating because I didn't even have a budget presented to me by the client. NO ARCHITECT even came forward. Guess what, I even sought out an architect. Not only one but three local architects. None of them wanted to touch this project. 

The door you see in the front is an exit for emergency exit. Okay. That is why it is there. 

People enter in from the east side of the building. The performance area is on the stage. NO DOOR enters directly on to the stage. 

We had 9 months TOTAL time. I even told them, from the get go, they will need an architect for any addition to the building or increase in height of the building. This is a small theater. There isn't physically enough room in just under 4000 sq.ft. to have a "lobby". They didn't have a "lobby" even in the previous location they were at.

Apr 27, 16 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins get a job
You should never design
Rick you are so sick

Not my best haiku but hey. I ain't no fancy college poet.
Apr 27, 16 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Architects with small budgets come up with creative solutions. They know how to make a big design move with a small budget.

You just see small budget and assume there are no possibilities to do something special.

Balkins your mind set is exactly why there is so much shit littering the planet.
Apr 27, 16 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

or they look at the windows on every other building on the block. . .

Apr 27, 16 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

The thing that's more worrying about that theater is that Balkins once posted a full description of the stage assembly in one of these threads - and when it was pointed out to him that the decking didn't meet minimum code requirements he then suddenly "remembered" that he actually used decking that was a quarter inch thicker than he'd said. Not that I was surprised by that - Rick has a long history of "suddenly remembering" the opposite of whatever he just said whenever it's pointed out that he's criminally wrong.  It does make me worry about the  community theater actors - I hope whatever they're doing this season doesn't require enthusiastic dancing.

Apr 27, 16 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Rick I didn't say that you need to write eloquently.  I said that the person who wrote the phrase that you provided in quotes is a poor writer.  Are you saying that you actually wrote that yourself? That is what I suspected from the recognizable pattern of bad grammar, and you seem to be admitting it.  If you want to convey any credible information on this forum about AIBD and NCBDC you should suggest to the executive director that he create his own account and provide that information himself.  We can't believe anything you write.

Apr 27, 16 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Fuck the dancers, I just hope that there aren't any kangaroos jumping around on that stage!

Apr 27, 16 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
Rick, I work for a firm that specializes in affordable housing. I work with small budgets regularly. We get creative and make good buildings and design that work within these budgets. You have no clue what you are talking about.
Apr 27, 16 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
Also, I want to see a kangaroo chorus line. Someone make Australia the Musical, stat. Get Russell Crowe on the phone.
Apr 27, 16 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
I want to see a kangaroo rendition of the road warrior. Shit that would be amazing. We could hire a licensed architect in Australia to design a proper vinyl free stage that would support the live load of dancing kangaroos.
Apr 27, 16 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
JLA-x and josh let's call may marsupial awareness month.
Apr 27, 16 9:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: