Archinect
anchor

CPBD exam specifications under review by NCBDC.

Or a Kangaroo with the fire spouting guitar in Mad Max:Fury Road. He'd be a real Joe-y Satriani.
Apr 27, 16 10:00 pm  · 
 · 

eeayeeayo,

When I was describing it originally, I was only going from memory of a project several years after the project but when I specified the specs in the first place for the deck, I was using the current edition of OSSC at the time. I designed and specified the decking surface, I was going straight out of the code book.  

The joists were 16" o.c. by the way. BTW: The boards were 23/32" Edge Gold. The joists are at additional intervals than the 24" intervals. The stem walls were at just under 5' o.c.

Allowable uniform load at 491 psf if you look at OSB-4000 document on OSB panels by Weyerhaeuser.

Allowable Uniform Loads (PSF) for Edge™ and Edge Gold™ Floor Panels (100% Load Duration)

http://www.woodbywy.com/document/osb-4000/

I remember the stamps on the sheets. I specified 3/4" OSB but 23/32 is close enough.

I know what I saw for OSB panels. I helped put them on the platform. However, I remember was using joists at narrow spacing like 16". I almost never use 24" o.c. spacing for joists. I use either 12" or 16" o.c. spacing for joists. Part of that decision depends on the space between the walls. 

Apr 27, 16 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
3/4" OSB but 23/32 is close enough, Rick?

Or maybe it's the same damn thing, because 3/4" nominal is 23/32.
Apr 27, 16 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
I think we finally know what the first question on the CPBD should be now...
Apr 27, 16 11:05 pm  · 
 · 

Bloopox,

Here it is: 

Hi Richard,

Your history is correct. AIBD is a 501(C)6 corporation and in DC corporate structure, NCBDC is considered a Designated Body of AIBD. Which means the Examiners have the authority to make certain decisions like a Board of Directors but only on decisions that relate to the certification program. For example, they can enter into agreements with the exam development consultants without needing AIBD board approval.

NCBDC has never been "an organization" from the perspective of a gathering of professionals. It was its own corporation that sold a "product" such as certification. So when it was first created it may have been a for-profit corp. It has a .com URL? I don't think it was, though.

Yes NCBDC, Inc. in Oklahoma has been dissolved.

(Snipped)

Apr 27, 16 11:12 pm  · 
 · 

Josh Ming,

I've seen 3/4" that is actually 3/4" thick.

Apr 27, 16 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
For the love of all that is holy, will you spell my name right?

And there may be ones out there that are 3/4", but the ones most commonly used are 23/32. Face it, you are not fit to play fake architect.
Apr 27, 16 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

You misquoted him.  His email is grammatically correct.  If you had cut and pasted directly from it then your quote would have been factually and grammatically correct.  Instead your post was wrong on both counts because you chose to paraphrase.

Apr 27, 16 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
Can we get back to talking about kangaroos? That's much more fascinating. You know who I miss? Captain Kangaroo, but there are so many questions. Who made him Captain? Was he elected by the other Kangaroos? Is there an Admiral Kangaroo that appointed him? Is being named Captain Kangaroo Australia's version of being Knighted?
Apr 27, 16 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

kangaroo

Apr 27, 16 11:46 pm  · 
 · 

Rick, I work for a firm that specializes in affordable housing. I work with small budgets regularly. We get creative and make good buildings and design that work within these budgets. You have no clue what you are talking about.

Josh, 

Affordable housing is not the same thing. Try working with no budget. You're working blind because the money needed isn't even there. At the beginning of the project, I asked about budget. They had to fundraise for it. On top of capital construction fundraising campaign, they had to also fundraise for paying a lease and also fundraise for buying the property.

This project phase had to be done entirely in the 9 month window. This included design and demolishing interior and construction work. This isn't something that you go... oh... lets take 18 months to do it or oh.... lets go with everything imaginable. I have considered additions but as you know, I wasn't going to design 500 to 1125 sq.ft. addition to a building that's just a shy under 4,000 sq.ft. ground area. While OBAE might not give a shit about 1 or 2 sq.ft. issue or even a few inches on height but they sure the hell will care about an addition being done to a building that is on the borderline of exempt/non-exempt by a non-licensed person. 

An addition has a high probability of triggering  full seismic retrofitting requirements of the entire existing building. That's converting a 1940s or 50s era lightly reinforced CMU constructed building that at best met seismic requirements of 1940s/50s era UBC Seismic Zone 2 requirements. That's an big question-mark "maybe".... considering prior to the mid/late 1960s, Oregon did not have a state-wide adopted building code. 

Full seismic retrofit would need to meet the requirements of Seismic Zone D requirements of the Oregon Structural Specialty Code. How the hell would that be done in 9 month window or within budget. It would have cost twice as much if not more than the project cost did. This would have required more people and at that point, it would have required more paid workers. They just barely met the deadline as it was. How would the addition be made and paid for. That's exactly what phase 2 or whatever they want to call it is suppose to be. They haven't got there yet. Phase 2 or whatever was being designed by an architect from what I recall.

My job was to get it to a working level so they have more time. Now, they are supposedly getting funds to do that. 

I did seek out architects. They said, 'no'. Basically. The answers varied but the essence of the responses were no. One was too busy. Another just didn't want to get involved with the project. Another (being one of the principals of SRG), said, its not the kind of project they work on. (generally, too small). I decided to then proceed as is. I clearly stated, an addition would have to be designed by an architect. I will try to design it so its operational for the intended few years or so. The idea was they will have to continue to fundraise for an addition. 

The area to the east side of the building is the build-able area. If you were to quote me a $50,000 price tag for 750 sq.ft. addition, I would feel the price is questionable and have to scrutinize it a bit further for how it is being done without running afoul of the building codes.

Apr 28, 16 12:43 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

i have to congratulate you balkans, that was a fairly coherent string of logic without glaring, 7th grade grammatical errors.  

i work often with non-profits who have no budget; one of our design services is to identify their needs then assist in grant writing.  you can certainly manage the volume of written work required to do a grant, if your activity on this forum is any indication.  might be a good way for you to add value to the project.  

Apr 28, 16 12:54 am  · 
 · 

You misquoted him.  His email is grammatically correct.  If you had cut and pasted directly from it then your quote would have been factually and grammatically correct.  Instead your post was wrong on both counts because you chose to paraphrase.

If you read what I wrote, I did say the same thing. The third sentence is not grammatically correct.

What I said is factually correct. I just added additional information such as the NCBDC Inc. It is factually correct and we are saying the same thing.

While I paraphrased, what I said meant the same thing. I may not wrote what he said exactly as he wrote it. I used terminology "Designated Council" as that is what it is referred to in the AIBD Bylaws. The NCBDC council has a governing board called the Board of Examiners. That is referred to in the AIBD Standing Booking of Rules that supplements the AIBD Bylaws. When Steve Mickley refers to the Examiners, he is referring to the Board of Examiners within the NCBDC council. 

I further checked up on the Oklahoma Secretary of State website page for business search. I looked up for National Council of Building Designer Certification, Inc. I looked it up and it brought up the date of when it was formed and what organization type it was and if you also noticed on status, it says "merged" as in it merged into another entity. This was done circa 2011/2012 when it merged with AIBD. 

The Board of Examiners is a separate council from that of the AIBD. The people who make up the Board of Examiners are a different compliment of people than the board of Directors of the AIBD. While there are members that are on both boards, there are members who are on one but not the other.

Apr 28, 16 1:00 am  · 
 · 

Dangermouse,

The Astor Street Opry Company has more experience grant writers than me, especially back in then. They did get grant money to finance part of the project.

Apr 28, 16 1:02 am  · 
 · 

i work often with non-profits who have no budget; one of our design services is to identify their needs then assist in grant writing.  you can certainly manage the volume of written work required to do a grant, if your activity on this forum is any indication.  might be a good way for you to add value to the project.  

The last I checked, grant writing is not design services. It is just another service you are offering in addition to design. They don't teach in architecture school where to find grants. I've found the money sources changes all the time and I don't get any bulletins, mail, or emails about grants and grant sources. 

Apr 28, 16 1:09 am  · 
 · 
no_form

nice mentality you've got there Mr. Balkins of Astoria.  why would you want to increase your value within the local community?  who needs theater anyways when there's netflix?  people can just watch re-runs of the crocodile hunter.  did you see the episode where a joey kicks some guy from astoria in the nuts?  

Apr 28, 16 3:06 am  · 
 · 

No_form,

Why would anyone (architect, designer, engineer, etc.) want to increase their value in the local community?

Apr 28, 16 3:13 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Apr 28, 16 7:15 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Beautiful Olaf.

Ricky, can you identify which picture of the kangaroos above is actually a walrus?
Apr 28, 16 7:59 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

Apr 28, 16 8:17 am  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Rick you just admitted above that you designed a poorer solution for this theater than you could have, in part because you knew that if you considered an addition you'd exceed the square footage limit of an "exempt" building and get in trouble for practicing architecture without a license.

That's exactly the kind of ethical lapse and compromise of design quality that I associate with "unlicensed building designers".  AIBD should be ashamed.

Apr 28, 16 9:25 am  · 
 · 
no_form
You know it's funny when it's just Balkins, but now that a small organization struggling to bring something beneficial to their community got screwed because of him it's genuinely sad.

This is exactly the type of example why the AIBD and their ilk are a danger to themselves and the people they purportedly serve.
Apr 28, 16 9:40 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Nice job with the Gif and image files all. As subject matter experts on kangaroos Balkins' AIBDCPBDNCBDC exam should be well balanced now.

Maybe we can copy paste this whole thread and send it to the AIBD so the nuance and character of each question isn't lost?

As subject matter experts they'd probably love to hear from us and learn more about RWCB PBD of Astoria
Apr 28, 16 9:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

On behalf of Spont and No-Form's comments.

Apr 28, 16 9:50 am  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

There are some life safety concerns in the info he's provided above too.  For instance he's justifying the lack of vestibules by comparing it to their previous location where they also didn't have a vestibule.  But all theaters of all sizes and construction types require vestibules for all egress doors when the stage area + back stage areas and accessory spaces that aren't fire separated exceed a third of the area of the room containing the stage.  That's to prevent the sudden influx of cold air that can turn a spark into a fireball.  Also when questioned about the decking he keeps repeating his joist spacing and the deflection rating of his OSB - but stages have high concentrated point load requirements that are usually the determining factor for thickness, not the deflection rating. Even if 1000 architects turned down the project it doesn't make it ok for you to take it on if you don't know how to do it.

Apr 28, 16 9:54 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

non that was hilarious all the above

Apr 28, 16 11:46 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Spontaneous, if you wish the AIBD has a form you can complete to bring justice to the theater and stop Balkins from harming the HSW of Astoria.

It's interesting the AIBD emphasizes residential design across their website. Nowhere does it recommend doing assembly use group buildings.

http://www.aibdmember.org/resolutionform.pdf

Balkins, when something goes wrong in real life with that theater can you afford a legal defense, and possibly live with the guilt of having potentially injured hundreds of people?
Apr 28, 16 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

My interpretation of every Balkins post in this thread:

Apr 28, 16 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

We should just start having all discussions on this forum before 1pm EST.  I don't think RB gets up until after 10 his time everyday.

We did grant writing in architecture school in connection with the annual built project - had a speaker on the topic, did some practice assignments, collected resources, wrote the grant applications - as a class we got close to the whole project budget of 200k in grants.  I know not all architecture schools have built projects, but it's silly to say that's "not taught in architecture school" - especially by somebody who hasn't gone to architecture school.

Apr 28, 16 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

What's the max kangaroo occupancy for the theater?  

Apr 28, 16 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

The max human occupancy per the theater's website is 68, but there are at least 90 chairs in one of the pictures.  Kangaroos need a lot of personal space though, so let's say 52.

Apr 28, 16 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Assembly spaces for kangaroos are usually 3 per 30sf. About 10sf per animal is sufficient including their feet and tails.

When it's mixed occupancy with humans you can typically double it to 6 per 30sf.

Depending on local fire codes you can get away with 7 if it's mixed species.

Thing of it is is that these are not exempt structures. Kangaroo activists have really changed the game on how many of these buggers you can stuff in a public space. Only a sport for the licensed architect.
Apr 28, 16 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

How many can you stuff in a private space?

Apr 28, 16 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

None of you are qualified for this discussion!  Merely talking about it is representing yourself as a licensed practitioner in a jurisdiction filled with Kangaroos, which we all know you are not..  I have called the Adelaide-Melbourne Joint Board of Building & Placemat Designers and lodged a complaint.  You WILL be hearing from them shortly...

Apr 28, 16 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Oh no, not the placemat  designers! I'm doomed

Gents and Laddies, it was nice getting to know ya.

Apr 28, 16 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

Are you guys taking the joeys in their parent's pouch into your occupancy calcs? That can trip you up.

Apr 28, 16 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah

Apr 28, 16 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

good call Donna!  I'm not sure how to factor in joey count into the calcs.  there may be a certified professional building designer (AIBD) in the Adelaide-Melbourne territories who could make an official ruling.  

However, I'm overstepping or leaping (ha ha) my boundaries consulting on this matter and I am facing a severe reprimand from the board of Building and Placemat Designers.

talk about a kangaroo court system...

Apr 28, 16 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

The real issue is whether or not Kangaroos can share bathrooms with us or if we should create a 3rd bathroom for them.  Then there's the issue of whether it should be unisex. Maybe we need a separate male kangaroo and female kangaroo restroom. I personally have no problem peeing next to a kangaroo for the record.  But man, would ya look at the sack on that one above!

Apr 28, 16 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

We most certainly cannot share bathrooms with kangaroos. It says so in the Bible.

Or so I'm told.

Apr 28, 16 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

agree jla-x, i'm okay with inter-species restroom use.  i'm not sure if kangaroos will find the "koala car" infant changing tables discriminatory though.  also, we will have to revise the plumbing code to enforce installation of larger drainage pipes.  with a sack like that we're talking increased water usage for sanitary purposes!

Apr 28, 16 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Into what sort of private space is eeayeeayo wanting to stuff kangaroos?

Is there a safe word?

Apr 28, 16 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Oh yes..."The Book of Jobe"..."Thou shall not relieve thy self near the two legged jumping beasts".  

Apr 28, 16 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
That only applies in North Carolina jla-x.
Apr 28, 16 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

Does that apply to those who were born kangaroo as well as those who have had species reassignment surgery?

Apr 28, 16 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ahhhh, look how cute they are but then they grow up.

Apr 28, 16 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

that's an alarming picture non-s.  from the looks of the soil conditions there may be some type of surface pooling from a ruptured underground pipe or perhaps septic tank back up.  the bigger issue could be that a CPBD did the drainage and grading plans and did not perform the calculations correctly.  i'm also noticing perhaps an invasive species of grass.  that could warrant a call to the department of environmental protection and fines plus removal costs for the property owner.  can you provide me with the address of where this picture was taken?  i want to make sure the appropriate parties are sufficiently penalized.  if this were clatsop county oregon all associated parties would be doing time in the state prison system.  what do you think balkins?

Apr 28, 16 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You're so very right No_Form, moreover, that stuff bear does not comply with Australia's pet import policy, referred to as the 2016 Captain Jack Sparrow and pooches case.

Now, I am no expert in foreign stuff animals but I strongly believe that that bear is a group 3 animal from a non-aprouved country.

• The valid import permit provides the specific conditions for importing your stuffed animal. The conditions on the import permit take precedence over any other source of information. The information below is a general guide to assist in the preparation of your animal for export to Australia; it is not a substitute for the import permit.
  • To be eligible for import, all stuffed bears must be compliant with all the import conditions stated on the valid import permit. All stuffed bears must complete a minimum 10 day period in an Australian quarantine facility.
  • It is a requirement under Australian legislation that all live animals coming to Australia from group 2 or 3 countries must be accompanied by a valid import permit.
  • Government Approved Veterinarian or Official Government Veterinarian must perform all veterinary procedures listed below, unless stated otherwise.
  • All testing must be conducted in an approved country in a laboratory recognized by the government of the country of export, unless stated otherwise.
  • You must contact the competent authority in the country of export to determine which veterinarians and laboratories are approved to prepare your stuffed bear for export.
  • You must contact the competent authority in the country of export to determine if there are any additional export requirements and/or if the country of export has an agreed veterinary health certificate to use in place of the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources standard veterinary health certificate.
  • The Department of Agriculture and Water Resources recommends that you take this information to your Government Approved Veterinarian or pet transport agent to assist you ​with understanding the requirements.
  • Import conditions stated on the Import Permit must be strictly complied with. Any animal that is found to be non-compliant with the import conditions on the Import Permit may be subject to additional testing, held in post entry quarantine for an extended period, exported from Australia or euthanased. Importers will be charged additional fees for costs associated with managing non-compliant animals.
Apr 28, 16 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
nicholass817

I've been hesitating posting this all day,  but am about to leave work for the day and feel I must:   

Holy shit!!  Its been awhile since I've cruised the Archinect forums...and what do I find?? Fucking Rick Balkins!!!  You've been spouting shit from your finger tips (and likely mouth) for way too long.  I think it was like 6-7 years since I first saw you posting in the ARE forums or some other architecture related forum....saying the same shit, trying to find a way to get around conventional licensure by playing pseudo architect.  Guess what?  In the amount of time you have spent on the internet posting about wanting to be an architect many, many kangaroos have actually done so.

Hopefully someday you will realise that hard work and dedication are the only certain ways to get what you want. 

Apr 28, 16 6:32 pm  · 
 · 

Kangaroo applauding nicholass817

Apr 28, 16 6:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: