Archinect
anchor

CPBD exam specifications under review by NCBDC.

x-jla

The ceiling is 20'-2" tall.  I measured it via telepathy.  

Jul 1, 16 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Then I used hi def images from the Hubble to measure the shadows on the summer solstice.  It's 20'2.2222738388437" tall to be exact.  

Jul 1, 16 6:11 pm  · 
 · 

Read Chapter 3410. I mean 3410 not 3412. Typo. 

NO existing building built before ICC existed and before there was state wide building code can EVER meet all requirements of new construction. The ONLY way to meet ALL requirements applied to new construction is a tear down and build new. There is no way you can ever meet the requirements of new construction. 

3410.1 Compliance. The provisions of this section are intended to maintain or increase the current degree of public safety, health and general welfare in existing buildings while permitting repair, alteration, addition and change of occupancy without requiring full compliance with Chapters 2 through 33, or Sections 3401.3, and 3403 through 3407, except where compliance with other provisions of this code is specifically required in this section. 

3410.2 Applicability. Structures existing prior to [DATE TO BE INSERTED BY THE JURISDICTION. NOTE: IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THIS DATE COINCIDE WITH THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF BUILDING CODES WITHIN THE JURISDICTION], in which there is work involving additions, alterations or changes of occupancy shall be made to conform to the requirements of this section or the provisions of Sections 3403 through 3407. The provisions in Sections 3410.2.1 through 3410.2.5 shall apply to existing occupancies that will continue to be, or are proposed to be, in Groups A, B, E, F, M, R, Sand U. These provisions shall not apply to buildings with occupancies in Group H or I.

OSSC 2007 (Amended):

3410.2 Applicability. The provisions in Sections 3410.2.1 through 3410.2.5 maybe used in lieu of Section 3403 through 3407 and are only applicable to existing occupancies that will continue to be, or are proposed to be in Groups A,B,E,F,M,R, S and U. These provisions shall not apply to buildings with occupancies in Group H or I.

3410.2.1 Change in occupancy. Where an existing building is changed to a new occupancy classification and this section is applicable, the provisions of this section for the new occupancy shall be used to determine compliance with this code. 

You can not make an existing building from mid-1940s fully comply with Chapters 2 through 33 of the building codes and any referenced codes or standards in those chapters. It's just scientifically and mathematically impossible. Buildings built back in those times before the way buildings are build today. Designing new construction is easy. Working with existing buildings is often a bit harder.

Jul 1, 16 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
I'm elevating this thread from dumpster fire to severe drought wild fire. It can't be put out.
Jul 1, 16 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

^ those poor kangaroos

Jul 1, 16 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Rick when you cut-and-paste code language, but edit it in the process and hope nobody will notice, that makes everything you ever post even more suspect.  Your habitual grammar mistakes gave you away.  

The facts are undeniable: this building is not code compliant, and you were not even aware of the concepts of many of the problems until people in this thread explained them to you.  This is proof without a shadow of a doubt that you are entirely unqualified to take on this project, or any other.  I hope that anyone who ever considers hiring you, whether as a "building designer" or in any other capacity in any field, finds this thread.

Jul 1, 16 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

finally, the embers have been stoked.  once more i can huddle around this burning pile of shit, so that it may warm my soul deep into the night.  

this is the centralia mine fire of threads. 

Jul 1, 16 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

What edit in the process?

Jul 1, 16 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

JS

Jul 1, 16 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

Is this really just to keep a dumpster fire going and annoying me than anything else?

Jul 1, 16 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Some arguements can't be won

Jul 1, 16 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

There is surely a dumpster or two in there.

Jul 1, 16 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
EI and NS your graphics are the funniest things I've seen today. So glad it's a 3 day weekend.

K4L
Jul 1, 16 9:04 pm  · 
 · 

Some arguments can't be debated with people are not willing to listen to the other persons' point of view but their own.

Jul 1, 16 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

rick are you talking about yourself?

Jul 1, 16 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
nicholass817

this is the centralia mine fire of threads. 

HA!!!! Second time I've heard/read that referenced today.  

Jul 1, 16 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
dmfenelon

A question

A firm with 56,890 interns and 134,128 principals and an utilization rate of 5%, charges $23,000,000 for a single family residential project. The principal H needs a balance sheet today showing the finances for the next 10 years. What would you do? Select the five that apply

1. Calculate the quick ratio?

2. Estimate the overhead?

3. Multiply the break even rate times the quick ratio?

4. Hire an accountant?

Jul 11, 20 9:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: