Archinect
anchor

CPBD exam specifications under review by NCBDC.

x-jla

Steven Hawkins didn't work either...

Apr 29, 16 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF4ISFY1S-4

Apr 29, 16 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

He decorated the Christmas tree.  

Apr 29, 16 6:32 pm  · 
 · 

Dangermouse,

balkans you are going to kill people.  you don't need to dissemble for hours on UL fire ratings for individual concrete units.  just fucking follow the IBC.  you say the building has sprinklers, which is great!  but you still have insufficient egress for an assembly space.   

What's the occupant load? You say I don't have egress? I got two exits points besides the exit from the back stage. One of the exits serves as an entrance as well.

I have 4-ft.+ aisles on both sides of the seating area in the plans. The actual seating plan is for  around 160 to 165 or so depending on seating & table arrangement. Typical seating arrangement being around 120-130. What does the code say for number of egresses and number of exits?

The aisles which serves as Exit Passageways  have a minimum clear width of about between 4'-6" and 5-ft. on both sides of the seating area. Which exceeds the 44-inch minimum. Aggregate width of the main egress ways are 9-1/2 to 10-ft. The intermediate egress aisles are various and configurable with different arrangements of tables and chairs. We are operating on a design seating load of less than 200 at any time. Sometimes, they are significantly less occupants such as 68 and 84. Most are around 120 to 135 seating. The stage crew might add an additional 20-30 people and less than 50 at any time. Realistically, we have 3 exit. The backstage is rated for 50 which includes the people on stage. Granted they can exit out the east side exit or exit out towards the exit in the back stage area.

With the intent of not exceeding 200 in the building at any one time.

Guess what I was following OSSC (Oregon amended and adopted version of IBC) and the available provisions of IEBC and the building department. I wasn't chasing through UL listing for CMUs. They have a code recognized fire rating to them.

Apr 29, 16 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

None of this blather sounds like analysis for an exempt building.  You have made every excuse you can for your involvement. As has been said, if you want to pretend you are an architect and a Professional Building Designer, you have done these people a disservice!

Apr 29, 16 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

jesus christ balkans, what exactly did you do for these people?  i see no evidence of interior work...

https://www.facebook.com/AstorStreetOpryCompany/photos/pb.58475168677.-2207520000.1461966875./10153866354853678/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/AstorStreetOpryCompany/photos/a.10152532964233678.1073741832.58475168677/10153866354888678/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/AstorStreetOpryCompany/photos/pb.58475168677.-2207520000.1461966925./10152535607158678/?type=3&theater

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's more to it. You have to look at what the overall building was like before hand. The main area not including the backstage,  was divided up with partition walls and a ceiling system.  The design needed an open interior. Part of the interior design includes the exposed multi-ply wood trusses above and wood roof system. Open interior. Space planning for the seating and the souvenir stand and 'bar' where you get your soda, popcorn or even beer. Then you have the stage. Part of the interior included applying theater sets into the overall design. 

The backstage area needed to be subdivided into rooms. Most of the work is interior aside from some enclosing of the window bays. There is an overall ambience of connecting the interior with rest of theater set.

There is included, repainting the CMUs.

Part of the interior work is to utilize the building's existing components and its character in a way to work with the rest of the design. The project had to be at minimal cost and be adaptive. Different programs with different accenting. Christmas time, you have some more Christmas decor flowing into the atmosphere. 

It wasn't about trying to make it look "slick and modern" when that might be antithesis to the thematic background of the Shanghaied in Astoria play time frame. If you know a little about Astoria, Oregon history and it architecture of pre-1923 architecture, you'll find I'm using the 1950s era building in a way to accentuate the feel from the the building. 

It's to draw the audience into the program.

The whole atmosphere is to set the tone.

Originally, the interior walls were off white/light grey and even drywall with red paint over it. 

When looking at this, would you think this was a laundromat?

Apr 29, 16 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"Forget it.... guys. I'm tired and exhausted debating this shit."

Apr 29, 16 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

When looking at this, would you think this was a laundromat?

Apr 29, 16 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

nice null. this thread is going places, minus balkins

Apr 29, 16 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

Now I know you guys are just a bunch of asses.

Apr 29, 16 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

those are not kangeroos 24/7 shithead

Apr 29, 16 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Apr 29, 16 7:53 pm  · 
 · 

Then I must be an architect then, Olaf?

Apr 29, 16 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

your logic is profoundly bot ish and weak. k4l

Apr 29, 16 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf,

I was being facetious there.

Apr 29, 16 8:34 pm  · 
 · 

https://www.4shared.com/zip/Q62kzCqMce/Photos_of_Laundromat_B4_Conver.html

Here's a collection of some of the photos I took of the building before the remodel work.

Apr 29, 16 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

null- i've been keeping a straight face all day at work.  but that image cracked it.  really lol'd here in the office. 

Apr 29, 16 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

and your ego walks you right into it....can a bot be programmed to have and ego?

Apr 29, 16 8:58 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf,

Your have incorrect grammar and you have chosen a wrong word for what you were trying to say. You guys criticize me for grammar and then mess up on it as well?

Apr 29, 16 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

grammar on an internet forum can be excused over someone who willingly endangered the lives of people for their own personal gain.  and then added insult to injury with those horrible decorations.  you've really created a hell-scape for them balk-erina.  satan is probably building you a nice exempt building with non-UL listed wall and roof assemblies.  but it will have a stand pipe in the corner full of kangaroo piss to rain down on you while you burn away for eternity.   btw that stand pipe will not have any type of UL listed detail for floor penetrations.  but not to worry the floor is concrete... 

#K4L 

Apr 29, 16 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

as if we'd ever download something from a link you posted.   K4L

http://www.dalespeaking.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Zoo_keeper_wears_abandoned_kangaroo_3.jpg

Apr 29, 16 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
One kangaroo starts hopping eastward at 20km/hr. Another hops westward at 30km/hr, both starting from Ayers Rock. What time will they reach Astoria and knock sense into Balkins?
Apr 29, 16 10:32 pm  · 
 · 

Just to confirm, there is sprinklers in the backstage area. Note the orange piping up on the ceiling.

Apr 29, 16 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

i think i wrote that while checking out at grocery store to buy gnochi and italian ice...doing my friday night Big Lebowski stroll through the supermarket...my bad

Apr 29, 16 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
I'd swipe left on that Tinder profile pic.
Apr 29, 16 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

Hmmm.... there appears to just might be a standpipe next to the bar as well as an alarm. hmmm....  

Apr 29, 16 11:16 pm  · 
 · 

In addition to the sub-floor of 23/32, there if an additional top layer of painted plywood finish floor of about 3/4" thick. 

Apr 29, 16 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
Go. Away. Hop on out of here.
Apr 29, 16 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

This is great.  

Apr 29, 16 11:42 pm  · 
 · 

What's wrong?

Apr 30, 16 12:15 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Hey Balkins thanks for sharing your collection of transvestite photos.

It's depressing to think all those people have a higher chance of dying or becoming seriously injured because of your negligence and arrogance. There's so much evidence here to prosecute you if anything ever happens to that theater.

Mings I hope Ayers Rock is portal that can instantaneously transport them to Astoria.

K4L
Apr 30, 16 12:31 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

"There is sprinklers in the backstage area".  Sprinklers huh?  Interesting name.  

Apr 30, 16 1:35 am  · 
 · 
no_form

maybe he meant annie sprinkle was backstage?

Apr 30, 16 1:37 am  · 
 · 

I was showing photos showing the sprinklers and what looks to me like a standpipe near the entrance point of the plumbing system.

It should be noted that if we use Chapter 34 Section 3410 Compliance Alternatives. We are using Chapter 9 not Chapter 4. It also should be noted to look at Section 905.1, it says:

905.1 General. Standpipe systems shall be provided in new buildings and structures in accordance with this section. Fire hose threads used in connection with standpipe systems shall be approved and shall be compatible with fire department hose threads. The location of fire department hose connections shall be approved. In buildings used for high-piled combustible storage, fire protection shall be in accordance with the Fire Code.

This means 905.3.4 may not necessarily apply. While the stage is new construction, it is not necessarily considered a new 'structure' / building from the context of the building code. At this point, it is interpretation of the Authority Having Jurisdiction. There is nonetheless a standpipe.

Lets remember this is a one story building under just under 4000 sq.ft.

Apr 30, 16 3:01 am  · 
 · 

jla-x,

You don't see those big orange pipes on the ceiling?

Apr 30, 16 3:02 am  · 
 · 
no_form

balkins-you need to put the pipe down, not paint it orange.  just stop already.  you're really going to get someone killed if you keep at it.  it's really our professional obligation to report this to the AHJ.  

http://astoria.or.us/default.asp?pageid=153&deptid=3

that takes you to a form to file a report with the city code enforcement officer.  

Lisa Ferguson
Building Codes Permit Technician
1095 Duane Street, Astoria OR 97103
lferguson@astoria.or.us
503-325-1004

David Kloss
Interim Building Official 
buildingofficial@astoria.or.us
503-325-1004 or 503-338-3697

I'm sure David and Lisa would be happy to talk with you about your unpermitted change of use remodel that does not meet IEBC or NFPA codes.

#K4L

Apr 30, 16 3:35 am  · 
 · 

no_form,

This project was permitted through the building department. The building official at the time when we started this was Terre Gift.

It is my recollection that the sprinklers were designed by a Professional Engineer, by the way. If there is a problem with the sprinklers, its with the engineer who did the sprinklers.

You do realize that standpipes are required for new buildings. It literally says it in chapter 905.1 of the OSSC.

We have at least one. I can't recall if there is more. I don't have the sprinkler plans with me. The client was provided those by the P.E. designing the system. 

Apr 30, 16 3:46 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

the black pipe behind the gentleman in the pink skirt does not look like a standpipe to me

#k4l

Apr 30, 16 9:06 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

4shared? seriously? how fucking backwards are you? Ever heard of dropbox? google drive? anything else like that?

Apr 30, 16 9:06 am  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Pictures of this theater seem to show that the only way to get to the lighting booth is through the box office.  This is another no-no per IBC (IEBC too, though that's irrelevant because this is a new use).  Egress from an occupiable room may not pass through another room.  Also the box office may just barely have a wide enough egress path for its own occupants - except that the egress path is also their workspace.  I don't see how they can even function to work in that narrow slot - and if there were a fire they and anybody in the lighting booth would trample each other.

It does NOT matter that this is a one story building under 4000 square feet, or that the theater company's previous building was worse than this one, or that they were on a shoestring budget.  The project has to follow the codes.  How can you be so hypocritically, all-consumingly obsessed with codes and laws and turning other people in for tardiness and using the wrong titles, and yet rationalize multiple clearly dangerous situations that threaten hundreds of people on a weekly basis?

If a client doesn't have the budget for a safe project, you don't design an unsafe project and tell them they'll have to fix it with an addition later.  The addition to add indoor plumbing and fix all the issues that you left is estimated at just under $300k - if they couldn't come up with it back then they shouldn't have moved forward until/unless they could.

You really need to stop writing about this project, because you're just creating evidence of your utter incompetence.  Don't try to use the "early in my career, water under the bridge" thing either - you clearly haven't learned anything in the years since.  That's not a stand pipe.

Apr 30, 16 9:31 am  · 
 · 

eeayoeeayo,

I didn't design the fire sprinkler system which would include standpipes. An engineer designed that. How big does a box office need to be? 

In the original layout design, the projection booth was separate (but adjacent) to the "box office" and had its own access to it.  They wanted arranged a little bit. In the earlier design draft, I had two doors up on the front elevation as the original elevation had two two doors. In the original design, there was a proposal for 3 doors plus and optional 4th door to be potentially added in the 3000 sq.ft. area. There was also 9' distance between the "box office" and the "bar" as an egress to two exits aside from the east elevation. There was also a proposed 4th exit (optional) on the east wall. Aside from two exits from the back stage. The number of exits were reduced over process of revising. One remained but repositioned along the wall to a better spot along the west elevation and a window was put in that place where the door was originally placed. Design revisions.

Over the process there was some revising done. The area serving as the box office was 7' x 14'. The revising combined the "box office" and "projection booth" spaces in about 7' to about 12ft deep by 16-ft. (not exactly a rectangle) The "box office" itself has maybe 1-2 individual(s), total. A 3-ft. egress. Figure an 18" deep x 3-ft wide table. Another two feet for the chairs. The projection booth has maybe 2 individuals operating up there. Seriously, people don't stay in the "box office". Once the play starts, no new tickets are issued. Which means, the only people in the area is the projectionist/lights controllers. 

Of course, if you are spending $250+/sq.ft. in construction cost.

Just so you know, the projectionist booth and box office is not separate "rooms". They are separate work spaces.

Apr 30, 16 4:06 pm  · 
 · 

4shared? seriously? how fucking backwards are you? Ever heard of dropbox? google drive? anything else like that?

Yeah... so.... What the problem is? 

I don't keep everything on dropbox or google drive. I had also 4shared and multiple other online file storage.

Apr 30, 16 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

ricki in building code how is this statement true or even relevant "Just so you know, the projectionist booth and box office is not separate "rooms". They are separate work spaces".

· 
JBeaumont

It's great how Richard Balkins has been using this theater project as the sole proof of his alleged competency in building design, construction, codes for the past several years - in fact at one point he boasted that this project was probably going to get him an honorary bachelor degree and direct admission into an M.Arch program - but as soon as the project's 50+ code infractions and life-safety hazards are highlighted he suddenly claims his involvement was pretty much limited to painting a block wall.

I hope AIBD has an alert set up to notify them whenever they're mentioned online.  They need to see how they're being represented by their unofficial spokesbuildingdesigner.

· 
eeayeeayo

You can't have a lighting booth open to other work spaces.  So either you're not meeting code because your lighting booth is part of the box office, or they're two separate rooms and you're not meeting code because you're requiring people in one of them to pass through the other.  The occupancy counts aren't relevant.  IBC and IEBC don't let you pass through more than one intermediate room before you get to either an enclosed, protected egress route (there are none in this building) or the outside.  It doesn't matter whether the lighting booth and the box office each hold 1 person or 100 people - if you're in the lighting booth you have to pass through the box office, and that isn't allowed. It also doesn't matter how many revisions there were - if you submitted the plan in its current form to the building department this way you were negligent by not designing to code, and if you submitted an earlier plan but they built it this way instead then you were negligent for not reporting it.  I was sincere in my advice that you stop giving more information about this project online.  You're creating a very, very bad evidence trail in the event that anybody is ever hurt on those premises.  Just writing that UL manuals don't exist was enough to brand you unqualified to take on this project in the first place.

Apr 30, 16 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf, separate work spaces doesn't mean they are separate rooms. 

JBeaumont, 

The simple fact is that you guys are applying code requirements that don't apply for a number of instances. I personally do not have the sprinkler plans. Okay. The client does. If the sprinklers were not included under the stage, it is the engineer's fault. The engineer was contracted by the client directly to do the sprinklers plans. I only saw it briefly but it has been several years since I had looked at it. The same thing would be for stand pipes which would be part of the plumbing modifications and fire sprinkler systems. I wasn't going to design those systems itself. There's enough room on the stage for it. 

My role involved was more than just painting the block wall. 

Apr 30, 16 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Ricki you didn't answer the question.

Apr 30, 16 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

eeayeeayeo, 

This is NOT a motion picture projection room.

Apr 30, 16 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

No kidding.  I wrote absolutely nothing whatsoever about projection rooms. STOP WRITING ABOUT THIS PROJECT!  Really.  What happens if somebody gets hurt there?  I know you have nothing to get in civil court, but what you've written here is already vast evidence of criminal negligence.  Stop adding to it. Don't you understand that every idiotic response is adding to your potential prison sentence?  Or has that always been your housing plan once your parents' house goes in a tax sale?

Apr 30, 16 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: