Archinect
anchor

ACM for Residential - IRC

wurdan freo

Aluminum Composite Material is specifically addressed in the IBC. There is no section on it in the IRC. Have any of you used ACM in a residential application? Did you have any issues with the inspectors?  How would you handle a material that is not in the IRC? 

Considering it for a garage project I have on the boards.

Thanks!

Mar 6, 14 12:40 pm
gruen

I've never used ACM for residential, but I don't know why they wouldn't allow it. Of course, you can discuss w/the Building Dept in advance. 

If they allow vinyl siding, I don't know why they wouldn't allow ACM, even if not specifically discussed in the IRC. 

If the Building Dept gives you any grief, then you can point to the IBC (generally considered a higher authority than the IRC). 

I rarely worry about the specific material discussions in the IBC and IRC, except as they pertain to finish fire ratings. If a company markets a product for a particular use, then the company had better know if the IBC / IRC allows it. Of course, you can call your friendly ACM product rep and ask this question as well, asking for their paperwork on approval for use in residential / IRC. 

Mar 6, 14 1:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: