Archinect
anchor

how do get the clients to pay?

Rem007

Sorry but I guess I'm a novice at this.  

It seems there's a lot of communication involved when dealing with clients and I often feel I am giving out a lot of information and advice for free which also takes up a lot of my time.

First of all, is it legitimate to ask for money when I have not produced any drawings yet but have given out quite a bit of communication?

Second, how do you ask for money when there is no tangible product yet.  Am I not, after all, giving out "intellectual property"?

I have somehow inartfully asked for payment and have not seen anything yet.  I almost feel the client relationship is a little fragile now.

Aug 6, 13 12:32 pm
chris-chitect

Yes, you can ask for a retainer when starting. It would be the best way to know that your clients are serious. Watch them suddenly change their mind about the direction of the project when you ask for money upfront. You may loose a lot of potential clients, but often these would turn out to be headaches anyway.

I suggest watching the video attached to this thread

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/63892788/fuck-you-pay-me

Aug 6, 13 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: