Archinect
anchor

The Designed and the Built - Firms in the United States

Los Angeles

To be honest, I just want to get my hands dirty with the building process. I want to be in a practice that cares just as much about craft and detailing, yet they experiment and are always hands-on with the construction process, (having a wood-shop, metal shop, making 1:1's) or am I being way too naive and there isn't architectural offices like this in the States? 

I also noticed in the forum that some people worked for contractors?

What were your experiences like? What did you learn? What is your advice about trying to experience the design and the built process simultaneously?

Thus far, the only firm I can think of is Marmol Razinner since everything is almost in-house; they have a woodshop, metal shop, etc. 

Give me your thoughts and suggestions

Jul 22, 13 11:01 am
ackerson22

I'm assuming there are many firms throughout the U.S. who are getting their hands dirty. I'm familiar with these following offices whom have a bend towards building / exploring at full-scale, in-house:

El Dorado
mOrphosis
Olsen Kundig
Anderson Anderson
Lead Pencil
PLY

Jul 22, 13 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

Also, here's my list I keep an eye on. 

Huft

Freecell

LTL

Locus

Breakform

Face Design/Fab

Freecell Design/Fab

Also, Tektonics in Richmond was heading that way, but then f'ed up in the recession and I'm not sure where they're at now.

Jul 23, 13 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: