Archinect
anchor

Any queers out there?

EnemyHands

Or trans folks? Or even just run-o-the-mill gays and lesbos?

Seems like I am meeting more and more going into the field (could just be who I know). So if you are out there, how closeted are you/were you at work/school? Does architecture (like many other creative practices) attract a higher proportion of us than other fields? Do you feel like your queerness has any influence/affect on your work?

Jun 26, 08 1:00 pm
dml955i

I'm off to make some popcorn! This'll be a fun one to watch!

Jun 26, 08 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Jun 26, 08 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

mdler meet me in cali. lets get hitched :P

Jun 26, 08 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

vado

Im moving to Washington

Jun 26, 08 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i have read there is no gender preference (it's all attraction based). so yes you your self are potentially 'queer' EnemyHands

Jun 26, 08 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

your loss dude.

Jun 26, 08 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

our closest relative being the Bonobo chimp that solves all its conflicts with GG bi-sexual rubbing.

Jun 26, 08 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
EnemyHands

I am definitely a big queer. Wondering if there are others on this site who identify that way on a daily basis. Not so interested in the "everyone is kinda bi" argument.

Jun 26, 08 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
DrPr

I've come across lgbt people in architecture and it seems to be no different than in many other fields: they come out when they feel safe enough to do so. You have to remember that in many states people can be fired for being gay. Also, homophobia is rampant in many offices. Even where I work there are gay jokes that would make lgbt people uncomfortable even though the tellers of those jokes don't see themselves as being anti-gay.

Jun 26, 08 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac
Jun 26, 08 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

it's not a arrangement it's a scientific fact, based on observation

Jun 26, 08 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

even accents are a Act

Jun 26, 08 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i was watching the First Saturday Night Live with Carlin last night and even they were making gay jokes in the 70s at about the same level as now

Jun 26, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm a straight woman, my partner is a gay man. He's a design genius.

In my experience, a high proportion of men in the design field are gay. But being gay definitely does not make one a talented designer - I know many queer men and women who can't design worth a damn.

So I'm skeptical of any kind of gendered influence on design - not that it doesn't happen, but that it is somehow more significant for a queer person's sexuality/genderedness to affect their designs any more than my/other's straightness affects our design outlook. For some people, straight AND queer, sexuality is important; for other people, it's not.

That said, my fantasy design job is to do a house or condo for an upscale high powered lesbian couple: I think the gender/power dynamic would be fascinating.

Jun 26, 08 1:56 pm  · 
 · 

guys, lay off for once, will you?

anyway, no I'm not, but there was definitely a greater-than-average proportion of gay guys in school with me. I really wouldn't worry about it, and further wouldn't read deeply into the jokesters around here.

Jun 26, 08 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

Gay as a meme was invented at around the same time because of the stigma of the word 'homosexual' that prevented them(us all?) from chances of getting elected
Much like the Bright meme is for people of a Naturalistic worldview to but them in better socio politcal light.

Jun 26, 08 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

phallic design is all the rage

Jun 26, 08 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

liberty bell have you tried?

Jun 26, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

the fascinating power/gender dynamic that is.

Jun 26, 08 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac
But being gay definitely does not make one a talented designer

One of my drama teachers, who was openly gay, referred to his ability to layout an apartment as fag shui. His apartment was awesome.

Jun 26, 08 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

wasn't there a book called queer space?

Jun 26, 08 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

OK, fag shui - that's hilarious!

Jun 26, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

found it.

queer space by aaron betsky

Jun 26, 08 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i'm lezbian,...... been that for my whole life..... it's just something about the female body that gets me all ryled up........

Jun 26, 08 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I'm a lesbian stuck in a man's body...

Jun 26, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
EnemyHands

Uck. Didn't expect so many homophobic (or merely ignorant?) folks on this site. Ah well. I guess that helps to answer some of my questions.

Jun 26, 08 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

where can i take a class on Fag Shui ? any plans for your teacher to write a book?

Jun 26, 08 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

LB

we have a few high powered lesbian couples as clients

Jun 26, 08 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I think Yale GSA may have a Fag Shui component.

Jun 26, 08 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

enemyhands, don't take anything you read around here too seriously.

Jun 26, 08 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

And nobody is being homophobic in here enemy hands, of course you did have to title your thread with the word "queers" in it.

Jun 26, 08 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

aren't we all Happy at times?

Jun 26, 08 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

So Apu and Anti and mdler, throw out a few straight jokes so we have a level playing field, OK?

Jun 26, 08 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
EnemyHands

Or maybe I will start a new thread for folks called "What Straight People Think about Gays."

I don't mind the joking its just not really what I was lookin for in this thread, as you can see from my initial post. Go crazy in the new one.

Jun 26, 08 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

their aren't any, we'ze all Gay

just like Nas said we are all niggers.

and Dawkins says we are all Brights

touchy subjects of gender race and religion but in the end we can all win

Jun 26, 08 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

we are all also crazy in our own unique way and nobody knows everything

Jun 26, 08 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

overcoming the domination systems and lies placed before us is the challenge that i see.

Jun 26, 08 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
binary

wank-sta

Jun 26, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
kanu

I actually went to school with a guy who was gay. The project that we had for our studio assignment was to create a cultural center for a group that we connect with. This kid did a GBLT center, and whenever someone tried to critic it he would brush off there critics as "they just don’t understand what it means to be gay" which really annoyed me. and our studio professor just let him slide because every time he tried to push him to design better it turned into this "discrimination thing" “he just wont let my design be gay because he doesn’t understand what it mean to be gay” he ended up getting an A- in the class because the teacher was to afraid to step on his toes and get in trouble with the administration.

I understand what it means to be gay, and it shouldn’t be any disadvantage in our field. Design is design.

Jun 26, 08 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

your design sucks. not that there's anything wrong with that.

Jun 26, 08 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

I enjoy watching the L-Word on mute...

Jun 26, 08 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

kanu, I've had similar experiences with super-religious people. It's unfortunate when anyone chooses to use a certain status or belief as a crutch.

Jun 26, 08 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
kanu

It was frustrating but in the end I really just felt sorry for him. he missed out on some good insight that could have made his design much better. ultimatly a grade doesnt matter, but its sad to see some people let their differences hold them back instead of embracing them.

Jun 26, 08 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
allSTAR

i happened to live with 2 gay guys "so called fairies" for 6 months (obviously they weren't dating) just for the sake of experience. i concluded that there is something wrong with their head. they seemed emotionally unbalanced and VERY finicky.

Jun 26, 08 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

We have both gay and lesbian clients.....and for the most part I would say they are the best. They tend to understand design issues and always want the best they can afford. They do tend to know how to wheel and deal and damn you better let them know your there number one client....cause they tend to always want to be regarded that way.

I think the architectural profession is grown up enough to understand the gay and lesbian population to extend an open mind to them as being an active force in our profession as architects and as clients.

Oh bye the way, they tend to take care of invoices in a very timely manner....another great reason to have them as clients.

Jun 26, 08 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

Hey enemy I think like everyone else you should be careful labeling people, even if it is to say they are homophobic. You are asking if you think being same sex oriented has an effect on design. That book Queer Space whilst it runs you around in circles for a bit it pretty much concludes that the answer is yes, and no. I can't answer that question without some assumption because I'm not gay - curious but not gay. But on the outside I don't think it has an affect on the quantitative nor qualitative aspects of design.

But what is your perspective?

Jun 26, 08 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

what do you think of the theory that global warming and overpopulation causes homosexuality?
all spices exhibit homosexuality as a form of population control at ~10%(if not 100% according the the no gender preference theory). so it seems to be built into the genes
and global warming only helps i relate women being disconnected with their natural reproductive cycles or more in tune with them in a way they innately understand future life will have a less sustainable existence because females pick up on environmental conditions with more sensitivity

Jun 26, 08 6:42 pm  · 
 · 

what like paprika is gay? is that what you are saying?

the forever war (a sci-fi classic by a man named halderman) had great storyline where soldier went to fight war in space, but space travel required relatavistic trips. which means every mission would take him 80 years to a hundred years into the future. or longer.

so he gets back and the entire planet is gay and everyone feels creeped out by this hetero and he is offered therapy and a treatment that will fix him up. so he signs back up to the army. still hetero, poor dear.

when he gets back the world is hetero again...and then next time they're all clones and he really can't fit in.

great book.

gay, straight, who cares? lots of openly gay people in japan, especially on tv. no one gives a shit. why should they. my girls certainly don't. they know that guy that is cross-dressing and really looks like a girl is actually a guy...not a big deal. they think its funny cuz why would anyone would wanna do that, but usually it isn't even worth commenting on the s/he is a a he...

Jun 26, 08 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
poncedeleonel

I think there are too many theories that don't really amount to much use.
I also think labels are useful and overused.
And that stereotypes are there for a reason (as illustrated in this thread).

I love general statements, and to answer the first question in this thread, yes there are. They just don't feel like participating in a discussion that for the most part goes around in circles... ...especially about something they have probably gone around in circles about for most of adolescence.

oh, sorry, I meant we.

Jun 26, 08 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

I am actually surprised by how few openly GBLT I've encountered in architecture. I can probably count the number on one hand and it's not like I've worked in environments that seemed at all conservative or close-minded.

Jun 26, 08 8:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: