Archinect
anchor

I am Having a Hard Time Studying for SS Exam... any Advice?

OneLostArchitect

This is my last darn exam, and I feel I wont be able to get my license because of one exam! Been studying for 2 months now, and feel like I am not retaining anything. I am getting a few concepts, but get lost in the super complex formulas of Trusses, Wind... and many other things as well. I can do free body diagrams, I can solve reactions... but I am just not feeling ready to take this exam! I am not feeling the Kaplan study guide and overwhelmed by Mitalkshi online classes... I feel like its preparing you for a PE exam. I don't know what to do anymore and reaching out on archinect for help from those that have passed this one!! I heard something about this guy called Thaddeus, he has online and live seminars... I don't know if this is the way to go? 

Jun 17, 13 10:25 am
lletdownl

It sounds to me like you are over-thinking this one.  While the structures material can be overwhelming, keep in mind that the majority of the equations you'll need will be provided.  You really dont need to memorize equations, so dont let that stress you out.  If you understand the concepts soundly, you'll know what types of equations will be needed for each solution and you'll be fine. If you've really been studying for 2 months, i think you'll find that come test day, you are pleasantly surprised with how prepared you really are.  Good luck!

Jun 17, 13 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
ark1t3kt

I used the following materials to study from when I was taking my SS exam:
Kaplan 500 Q&A – I believe this is the single best resource to use; I went through all 561 questions.
Stephen Ressler’s videos on YouTube (unfortunately they are no longer available for free)
FEMA 454 chapter 4,5,8,9
Why Buildings Fall Down (full read) and Why Buildings Stand Up (skimmed)
Buildings at Risk: Wind and Seismic

Also free materials available from areforum.org:
Jennypdx’s notes
MikePM’s notes
LeCorbu’s notes on the IBC
Alkikat’s formula cheat sheet
DWG’s vignette tutorial

It is very important to understand the concepts and be able to apply them. Memorizing formulas alone will not do you any good.

Good luck!

Jun 17, 13 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
You will pass without knowing the formulas. All you need to know are the concepts.
Jun 18, 13 9:43 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Thanks everyone for the advice... 

Jun 20, 13 3:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: