Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Eternal

resplendent, i agree,

im preparing myself for the stream of rejections

Mar 17, 09 11:22 am  · 
 · 
alphabetical

Just a heads up: the rejection letter on gradcafe was me -- I applied to both urban planning and architecture and they had a little courtesy notice in my acceptance package for urban planning that I didn't get into the architecture program. Soooo it's possible that other folks who got a rejection won't hear for a while. Congrats to those who got in!!

Mar 17, 09 11:24 am  · 
 · 
natnatG

did anyone else get it....?
the email..?

Mar 17, 09 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Ettubrute

Just got a rejection email from Princeton. alas, can't have everything.

final verdict:
yale - in
gsd - in
mit - in
princeton - denied.

Mar 17, 09 11:29 am  · 
 · 
thisisck

same here.
rejected from princeton.

Mar 17, 09 11:32 am  · 
 · 
natnatG

princeton, you are just so cruel.... why did you have to send me that mail twice!!!!?

Mar 17, 09 11:35 am  · 
 · 
thisisck

same here.
rejected from princeton, twice.

Mar 17, 09 11:39 am  · 
 · 
nyc12

Rejected (twice also sirgemhl!) from Princeton.

Mar 17, 09 11:40 am  · 
 · 

twice??? how kind of them....

sorry to hear the sad news guys :-(

Mar 17, 09 11:40 am  · 
 · 
odear

same here. princeton must really not want me. haha. o well, ill take my gsd, yale, and columbia acceptances, and shove it up their ass.

Mar 17, 09 11:42 am  · 
 · 
Ettubrute

same here as well. haha, to get their point across...

you are rejected. oh wait, hm, um...oh no, nevermind, yah, you're rejected.

Mar 17, 09 11:43 am  · 
 · 
george

anyone accepting columbia, or going to the open house?

Mar 17, 09 11:44 am  · 
 · 
odear

Dear Mr. Allen,

I regret to inform you that I would not be attending your university, even if i had been accepted to your program. Just wanted to let you know that you have made a horrendous mistake, one which you will pay for in this life, and if you are a god fearing man, probably the next.

All the best, for now.

XXXXX

I'll make sure to send it to him twice.

Mar 17, 09 11:44 am  · 
 · 
watanabe

Sent an email 3 hours ago to princeton/mit/harvard updating em with my new address, got this dubious response from harvard:

"Nothing has been sent yet, so do not worry. I have updated your address in our system so that when we do send letters, yours will go to the right place. We expect that letters will go out within the next two weeks (hopefully earlier)."

then got this from princeton:
"As of this morning, the Architecture department has not released their admission decisions so nothing has been mailed yet."

An hour later got 2 rejections. Both from Princeton. Yay :)

At least MIT only told me they'd send the info to the correct person.

Tally
-------
Yale: Out
Princeton: Out
Harvard: ?
MIT: ?
U of M: In + 12.5k (unfortunately summer half-term conflicts with my thesis defense and so if I end up having to go here it won't be till 2010 summer, luckily they have said they will give me a deferment)
-------

Lookin pretty grim, coooome ooooon Boston.

Mar 17, 09 11:45 am  · 
 · 
george

hahaha

Mar 17, 09 11:45 am  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

I'll be at Columbia for the open house, and I'm leaning towards them at the moment but not ready to accept any offers until the final tally is in.

Mar 17, 09 11:48 am  · 
 · 
resplendent

watanabe

don't you hate those little liars!

Mar 17, 09 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Transition

oh princeton, why did you have to reject me twice?? the first email was just as clear....

Mar 17, 09 11:55 am  · 
 · 
never nude

notanarchitectyet,
did you get the schedule for that yet? i rsvp'd but haven't heard anything as of yet.

Mar 17, 09 11:57 am  · 
 · 

hey GSAPP people, make your decisions pronto, my friend is on the wait list, imagine the turmoil, give him a present he'll never forget.

Mar 17, 09 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

never nude: No open house itinerary yet, just the admitted students info PDF. I RSVP'd yesterday morning.

Mar 17, 09 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
kaywris

GSAPP rejections haven't come yet right. so that's what the rest of us should be expecting??

Mar 17, 09 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
george

i want to make it clear i was laughing at odear and not watanabe. lol.

Mar 17, 09 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
resplendent

georgev-

no worries he got it!

Mar 17, 09 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
george

yeah GSAPP people, make your decisions. GSD looks pretty amazing if you got in there as well. I'm on the GSAPP fin aid waitlist. :/

Mar 17, 09 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
nyc12

I think you're right kaywris, and I am in your boat too. :(

Mar 17, 09 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
musiknouveau27

omg you guys are making me nervous and I'm not even a '09 applicant! Anyone get in anywhere with an art background? I know 10 is, but who else? What are your stats!?

Congrats everyone with getting in! Yay!!

Mar 17, 09 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

Yea i think Columbia is done with the acceptances/wait list....just rejections for the rest of us....so sad :(

Mar 17, 09 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
lost in stress

musinouveau27, having an art background is not a bad thing, just make sure you are awesome at what you do. Prove to them that you can think and that your work is compelling. Take a summer arch program and that should give you some arch work to include in your portfolio.

Mar 17, 09 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
musiknouveau27

lost in stress- wish I could take one of those summer arch program but I'm tied to a job that I might potentially lay me off and that might just lead me to becoming another bum on venice beach (although that at times sounds appealing). I have been working professionally as an artist for some time now and I'm not too nervous about the strength of my work. I'm just afraid that my GRE scores and my writing might set me back. My writing is pretty poor!

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Mar 17, 09 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
musiknouveau27

lost in stress- wish I could take one of those summer arch program but I'm tied to a job that I might potentially lay me off and that might just lead me to becoming another bum on venice beach (although that at times sounds appealing). I have been working professionally as an artist for some time now and I'm not too nervous about the strength of my work. I'm just afraid that my GRE scores and my writing might set me back. My writing is pretty poor!

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Mar 17, 09 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
musiknouveau27

argh...sorry about double posting.

Mar 17, 09 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
tarheelbred

Nothing in the mail in FL today... Think that's it for GSD?

Didn't really think I had much of a shot of getting in there anyway, but it was exciting hearing about all of your acceptances and grant packages!

Mar 17, 09 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
zahoffman

Congrats to all the new acceptances! Lets keep the good news rolling as I fear we are approaching the backside of the process and could be coming off our highs soon. I hope not because I want atleast one piece of my own good news!

Minnesota and Milwaukee, why must you toy with me? I just want to know.

Mar 17, 09 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
loulou

Hi! I just called the gsd and was told that the march2 acceptances have not been mailed yet. Hoooope!
Also I called the gsapp and there should be a second round of acceptances, it will be nice if this is true, as I am waiting to hear from them.
So do not give up yet.

Mar 17, 09 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
loulou

Hi! I just called the gsd and was told that the march2 acceptances have not been mailed yet. Hoooope!
Also I called the gsapp and there should be a second round of acceptances, it will be nice if this is true, as I am waiting to hear from them.
So do not give up yet.

Mar 17, 09 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
TheDecoratedShed

odear : saw your credentials a few pages back. i am a fellow '08 u of michigan grad. only 1 english/architecture double major i know of from our class. so i must ask: you been chillin' with your peeps lately?

kschmeck : shame on you for your ludicrously obvious screen name and using it to rub your numerous acceptances in everyone's faces. i would expect nothing less.

congrats to both of you! way to represent TCAUP. moji would be so proud. i wonder if you can figure out who this is...

here are my less impressive stats for the rest of the mob's enjoyment:

u of michigan b.s. arch '08
gpa: 3.5
gre: 1350

u of michigan : accepted : +full ride
yale : rejected
harvard : accepted : +18k
princeton : rejected... you guessed it.. twice
mit : waiting... is that Yung Ho ringing me??.. nope, just my mother.
u of wash (seattle) : waiting

Mar 17, 09 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
MINIme

rejected from UVA yesterday via postal, and UT Austin today via online profile. feels awesome to have to wait until the end of April to hear back from my last two hopes...

hope st pattys day brings everyone else better luck!

Mar 17, 09 12:51 pm  · 
 · 

musiknouveau27:

i was an art major in undergrad (well, a double with east asian studies). ended up going to harvard career discovery and had an amazing experience, i would highly recommend it to anyone thinking about it. it definitely solidified my interest in architecture and gave me some valuable arch studio experience and exposure.

but even without it, the bulk of my portfolio was stuff from assorted studio fields - i dabbled in all sorts of stuff, though i suppose mostly sculpture and digital/photo. anyway, to answer your question, an art background can be a great asset. as long as you can show either significant breadth or depth in your portfolio i'd say you'd be just fine. just make sure to photograph + document all your work!

oh and so far i've gotten into columbia gsapp, still waiting on the rest! (come onnnnn boston!)

if you have any specific questions i'd be happy to answer as best i can

Mar 17, 09 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
odear

TheDecoratedShed -

My brain is fried at the moment. Any hints you want to throw out their for us? Congrats on the GSD acceptance by the way! And full tuition at U of M is sweet! you arent from westside of michigan are ya?

Mar 17, 09 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
odear

i take it back! hahahaha dude seriously?! i still have the sweatshirt!

Mar 17, 09 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
collinrobertanderson

has anyone else still not heard anything from Yale? No emails here or any updates on the website....This lingering response is pure agony.

Mar 17, 09 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
resplendent

TheDecoratedShed

now im playing this game.

are you a woman from out of state?!

Mar 17, 09 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
odear

DecoratedShed-

If this is who I think it is, then I am ecstatic for you right now. Did you get AP or regular M Arch I at GSD?

Mar 17, 09 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
thebeigecity

Thought I would share my results so far:

UIC - yes
UVa - yes
U Mich - yes
GSAPP - yes
Princeton - no x2
MIT - crickets
UPenn - crickets

only got a 10k scholarship to GSAPP.... so expensive... those planning on going how are you going to pay for it? parents, loans, bank robbery?!

Mar 17, 09 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
TheDecoratedShed

odear : i am indeed. in fact, i have schooled you in bball many times on that side of the state if you care to remember. you going to end up at GSD after the dust settles? come on, make all those yale and GSAPP wait-listees happy. that's where i will be if my wife lets me. say, can i borrow 100 grand?

Mar 17, 09 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
odear

Man that is excellent news. Except its all lies about the basketball thing. Have no idea what you are talking about on that one.....

I am going to visit some open houses, but GSD is going to be hard to pass up.

How is Mrs. J?

Mar 17, 09 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
kungapa

As entertaining as this is, it is quite lame. Just call each other.

Mar 17, 09 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
thisisck

loulou - thanks for calling gsd to check. appreciate it.

Mar 17, 09 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
odear

kungapa -

sorry about that. we will cease and desist. apologies.

Mar 17, 09 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: