Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

di-c

doubleV: well, the envelope wasn't paper thin but it wasn't a bulging package like those of the past. no students works or other goodies...just letters, housing info, fin aid. maybe they're tryin to save some money this year?

wish i could make it to open houses and meet everyone before the show begins in sept, especially at the OMA reception. sigh.

oh, and yale let me know today 'no thanks'. meh. whateva! :P

Mar 17, 09 1:15 am  · 
 · 
stuzzzzie

No package today from the GSD maybe tomorrow? Shit.

Mar 17, 09 1:39 am  · 
 · 
wes thomas

Actually, one goodie made it into the GSD acceptance packet.. their lecture series poster

Top GSD goodie inserts for Fall 2010:

-GSD #2 pencil
-GSD scratch 'n' sniff stickers
-cologne sample

Mar 17, 09 1:43 am  · 
 · 
musiknouveau27

Where's Ballyhoo? Any new updates?

Mar 17, 09 2:21 am  · 
 · 
ballyhoo

so far...

columbia: in
yale: waitlist
harvard: in
mit: ? (looking like a no?)
pratt:? (")

i believe columbia is the better fit for me, though i don't know a whole lot about gsd to tell the truth. gonna try to make it to the open house, the oma thing, or visit on a weekend.

gsd gave me more aid than columbia too. does anyone know if a school is willing to match another school's offer if you consider them a first preference?

Mar 17, 09 3:45 am  · 
 · 
Ettubrute

skotch, cognac, helvetica, blacksmith -
thanks for all the kind words.

newport -
i applied to m.arch 1 AP.
Berkeley's B.A. Degree is just not quite enough...it's quite a bit tougher to get a job out there without at least a B.Arch. and i think the additional education of a masters will be incredibly helpful (thats where the real fun begins - plus, i didn't know what the hell i was doing for at least half of my undergrad anyway)

Mar 17, 09 5:27 am  · 
 · 
micaSSo

Hey, does Princeton send an email/ mail ?
& anyone of GSD accepted ppl live in Washington?

Mar 17, 09 5:33 am  · 
 · 
micaSSo

oh & can accepted ppl plz tell if they are MarchI or MarchII applicant?

Mar 17, 09 5:37 am  · 
 · 
watanabe

Someone just posted a rejection from GSD that was received in the mail; looks like an envelope from them is not gonna always be good news from here on out.

Mar 17, 09 5:51 am  · 
 · 
mjsmit82

Hey all,

I've been reading the discussion since a friend sent me the link last week...

I live in San Diego, CA
Arizona State University '05 BSD
GPA 3.7
Working in CA since 2005

Applied to M. Arch I
So far:
GSAPP: waitlist
Yale: Out
Princeton: ?
UCLA: ?
Berkeley: ?
GSD: In + $$ (USPS package postmarked 3/13)

Congrats to everyone!

Mar 17, 09 6:21 am  · 
 · 
j'aime

i think st patricks day is a mail holiday, is where i'm from, so no mail today.

Mar 17, 09 6:30 am  · 
 · 
kungapa

And I am overseas, so I am not expecting anything for another few days.

j'aime - how has it gone so far?

Mar 17, 09 6:36 am  · 
 · 
watanabe

kungapa: same, but someone (think it was di-c) said further up they got a package from GSD via Fedex and s/he lives in Seoul. Still holding out for a few more days here in Tokyo.

Mar 17, 09 6:41 am  · 
 · 
natnatG

wow... just starting my day and my gosh lots of people got into GSD!
congrats to everyone!!!

Im slightly giving up my hopes but who knows if my mailman was just feeling lazy yesterday... (my postal address is set up at my U.S. home in Illinois)

anyone in the Illinois-midwest region got news from GSD?

AGAIN, CONGRATS TO EVERYONE ON GSD!!!
YAY!!!! (with a slight tone of jealousy) =)

Mar 17, 09 6:43 am  · 
 · 
j'aime

well im in ireland, so maybe it's just us who has public holiday for paddy's day, but for me anyway, no mail today...

kungapa: So far got accepted to AA, and haven't heard from anyone else. I expect GSAPP will reject as i had 420 is the english for GRE. still waiting on GSD and SciArc.

congrats to everyone so far!

Mar 17, 09 7:09 am  · 
 · 

watanabe: still waiting for gsd stuff up here too... (and according to the fedex site, it is faster to ship to korea than japan)... it's kind of sick i took the time to look that up..... oh well! *twiddles thumbs... waiting... waiting.... waiting....*

Mar 17, 09 8:42 am  · 
 · 
@*

Hello to all International Peeps! - Glad to hear I'm not the only one going slightly insane playing the waiting game! I was fine until I started reading about all the acceptances yesterday, but have now also lowered myself to checking fedex and usps mailing times!

J'aime - interested to hear your background and which GSD programme you applied to? Also, which programme were you accepted onto at the AA? From my research I didn't think I had any option to jump straight into a Master's in the UK?

Mar 17, 09 8:51 am  · 
 · 
sakurani

Anyone called Cornell to find out what that invitation to open house email means?
I overheard someone called this morning and find out that invitation doesn't automatically mean acceptance but found out s/he is accepted from that call....

Mar 17, 09 9:01 am  · 
 · 
j'aime

@* M.arch.1 for gsd, Diploma for AA. You would need to finished a professional architecture degree to do AA masters, such a B.arch or M.arch I.

Mar 17, 09 9:08 am  · 
 · 
j'aime

@* M.arch.1 for gsd, Diploma for AA. You would need to finished a professional architecture degree to do AA masters, such a B.arch or M.arch I.

Mar 17, 09 9:08 am  · 
 · 
sturgey

% chance we'll hear from GSD with any more good news?
% chance we'll hear from MIT with any more good news?

I'm one sad little pony... guess I was ready to leave Boston anyway.

Mar 17, 09 9:39 am  · 
 · 
kaysc

sakurani & other cornell hopefuls.... just called and was told they sent that email to all prospective students, so basically everyone who applied. she wouldn't tell me anything over the phone, as they are still making decisions, but said that emails and letters should go out sometime this week. hope this helps!

Mar 17, 09 9:39 am  · 
 · 
batdinger

sirge no news bad or good yet here in illinois...

Mar 17, 09 9:46 am  · 
 · 
sturgey

actually, I'm not sure that anyone has heard from Boston either... :-\

Mar 17, 09 9:51 am  · 
 · 
sakurani

kaysc,

Thank for your sharing this precious information.

(My friend's friend - basically no connection to me - called directly to Graduate Field Coordinator of Department of Architecture, not the one who sent that invitation, and also heard she is not supposed to tell the decision but at the end she let her know she is accepted. Now she is suspecting she heard wrong.
Just curiosity, did you called the number included in the invitation?)

anyway thank you!

and- I got an answer of my pathetic email to MIT, saying they are still processing final decision. - and will be done this week.

.... meaning sleepless night continues...... dam*....

Mar 17, 09 9:53 am  · 
 · 
sturgey

yes! still hope for MIT!

Mar 17, 09 9:55 am  · 
 · 
natnatG

YAY!
sleepless nights are still better than being rejected!
=)

Mar 17, 09 9:57 am  · 
 · 
jhooper

sirgemhl, I'm in the Chicago 'burbs and still holding out hope for a GSD package. My girlfriend is home sick today so she's on mailman duty!

Mar 17, 09 9:59 am  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

Here's to hoping IL is a day late, per usual.

Mar 17, 09 9:59 am  · 
 · 
sakurani

... just for sharing info, and sorry for so many "I heard," - it is more like "I was told," - anyway,
someone in Korea got an email from Nader Tehrani at MIT today.

Mar 17, 09 10:00 am  · 
 · 
kaysc

i called michelle sinnigen(who sent the email).. found her phone number on the website.. guess we'll just have to keep waiting, hopefully not too much longer!

Mar 17, 09 10:01 am  · 
 · 
natnatG

cool!
good luck for all of us Illinois peeps!!!!

Mar 17, 09 10:01 am  · 
 · 

hope for mit lives! thanks for the scoop sakurani!

Mar 17, 09 10:03 am  · 
 · 
jhooper

Gotta love this state...

Mar 17, 09 10:03 am  · 
 · 
george

The score:

Pratt (?)
SCI-ARC (?)
Columbia - in ($?)

Florida International University
Bachelor's in Landscape Architecture 08'
Worked at
ArquitectonicaGeo
MONAD architects
and PIE Studio

GRE-1150
GPA-3.1

Mar 17, 09 10:06 am  · 
 · 
sakurani

kaysc,

thank you!
I don't know why only me got that invitation letter among my friends who applied as well.. (well.. friend's friend also got that but doesn't count for me.)
anyway, thank you! and let's cross fingers!!

Mar 17, 09 10:06 am  · 
 · 
sakurani

TheDavester,

yes, I also keep reading this phase from the email,

"The final decisions have not been made yet. You should know within a week or so."

Mar 17, 09 10:09 am  · 
 · 
resplendent

not to get anyone riled up on here... but i have a little feeling that the grad cafe post about GSD's rejection letter is a nice little warning for all us folks who haven't heard.

That's okay GSD we didn't want you anyways! (slight sarcasm but we've got to move on!)

-r

Mar 17, 09 10:13 am  · 
 · 
natnatG

no!!! dont say that!!!

Mar 17, 09 10:26 am  · 
 · 
resplendent

sirgemhl

im a pessimist! :D

HOPE!!!!

Mar 17, 09 10:27 am  · 
 · 
natnatG

GSD i still want you!
its alright if youre a bit late... =(

Mar 17, 09 10:27 am  · 
 · 
mr. will

I am in the Chicago suburbs as well and have not heard from GSD. You know how Chicago celebrates st. pattys. Mailman is probably drunk

M.arch 1

Yale: In
MIT: In
WashU: In
UTexas:In
GSD: ?

Undergrad at Utexas-Austin in Architecture, 4year.
GPA: 3.5
GRE: 1110

Mar 17, 09 10:29 am  · 
 · 
Entasis79

So no one in Boston, Cambridge, Somerville has heard from GSD???

Mar 17, 09 10:37 am  · 
 · 
sturgey

no from somerville! and at least one more no from cambridge!

Mar 17, 09 10:38 am  · 
 · 
freezingtimbers

The waiting in Chicago is killing me. If anyone hears in IL/Chicago make sure you update us for those of us at work.

Mar 17, 09 10:41 am  · 
 · 
resplendent

okay i take back my negativitiy..but WHY must you SCREW with us this way GSD?

why didnt' you sent out emails, why?

sigh we are crazy all of us crazy!

Mar 17, 09 10:41 am  · 
 · 
sturgey

maybe preston scott cohen is personally waiting on my doorstep pissed off and checking his iphone to track me down right now....

Mar 17, 09 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Jola

is anyone here from CO?

Mar 17, 09 10:45 am  · 
 · 
ilseve

10 and Entasis79: I'm going to be taking the calc pre-req this summer in Boston. You guys think UMass is the best place to do it?

Mar 17, 09 11:02 am  · 
 · 
Entasis79

I have looked into it at some of the other local schools, but I'm not sure what would transfer/apply. I guess it all depends on where you are going. Some schools even accept online courses.
UMass seems to be the best option, I think.

Mar 17, 09 11:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: